Could you recommend me some single player FPS games..?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Azazel676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Azazel676
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Hello There.

Im a die hard FPS lover, and so far i've played pretty much every shooter that has caught my eye but i feel like i've hit a dead end. Can't seem to find a decent game anymore. I've searched the webs endlessly, watched countless youtube videos which mostly list the same games over and over etc..

But anyway, im more of a sc-fi, horror, fantasy lover. Im sick and tired of games like Call of Duty or Battlefield mainly because they only have one type of enemy (yeah humans) which i can kill with a single shot to the head using the same dull weapons and quite frankly they bore me to death even though they have beautiful graphics (which is not so important to me).

I find it far more enjoyable shooting giant robots, aliens, all sorts of twisted nasty creatures.

Now im gonna try and list my favorite games in no particular order and maybe someone call tell me if i have missed something...

Every Borderlands game - Loot is fun, LOOONG campaign which i really appreciate, disgusting creatures etc... Dishonored - Even though most enemies are people, its nothing like CoD, this game was a love at first sight...
Wolfenstein The New Order - I don't remember the last time i've had so much fun...
Every Crysis game - Just beautiful, the graphics of these games are WOW, its also fun shooting aliens... etc...

Then I've also played Bulletstorm, Hard Reset, Alien Rage, Shadow Warrior, Painkiller, Amnesia, Far Cry, Doom 3, the Bioshock games, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Rage, The Darkness 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, F.E.A.R. 2, Serious Sam, Singularity, Thief, TimeShift and probably a few more that i can't remember right now...

I loved playing each of these games, they've given me so much entertainment but there has to be a game or two that i have missed, and i would very much appreciate it if you can recommend a game that i have not played and is similar to the ones mentioned above. Thanks!

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@azazel676: my favourite single player FPS games of all time are No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 unfortunately they are not available digitally which is utterly criminal but you can get them cheap off eBay games don't get much more entertaining than this.

if you love single player FPS games and want to try classics you missed these are some of the best and damn funny too with interesting weapons and gadgets and yes you mainly kill people but they are anything but normal and boring and considering their age they still hold up pretty well today, imagine Austin powers but in shooter form with a female lead and damn funny.

Also you mention you have played fear 2...have you played the first one and it's 2 expansions yet? IMO they are the best out of the 3 Fear games available

Some other classics:

Shogo mobile armor division

Star trek Elite Force 1 and 2

Rise of the triads

Wheel of time

Clive barkers Undying

Blood 1 and 2

Tron 2.0

It's funny how even to this day all my favorite single player FPS experiences are mostly before 2005

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

If you don't mind going back to the past:

Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, SWAT 4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Aliens vs Predator 2, Prey, Pariah, No One Lives Forever, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Alpha Prime, Will Rock...

I could go on for days.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 naz99

@Black_Knight_00:

Great list..It's funny how many you forget

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Bulleststorm, Wolfenstein 2009, Doom 2 and its mods, Wolfenstein 3D, Fear series, Halo 1, Marathon series, Riddick, Jericho, Half life, Sin, Unreal, Deus Ex 1, System Shock 2, Undying.

Call of Juarez series, Brothers in Arms, Ghost recon, Ranibow six, IGI, ArmA series.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@naz99 said:

@Black_Knight_00:

Great list..It's funny how many you forget

Oh yeah, the early-mid 2000s were a golden age for PC first-person shooters.

A few more:

Cal of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth
Gunman Chronicles
Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
The Suffering 1&2

In fact, I recommend OP watches my good buddy Balg0rg's History of FPS video series. Every FPS ever made is included. The playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE6D63CBBEEF1DFA1

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By naz99

@Black_Knight_00: I hate to be that guy and say it but the fixation of the military genre and popularity of console multiplayer killed the single player FPS genre,we still get some but few and far between

Butcher Bay was one of my biggest surprises in years,never expected it to be so good.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

WOW! So many FPS games.

The sad thing is that only like one third of them are on steam or GOG.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

@naz99 said:

@Black_Knight_00: I hate to be that guy and say it but the fixation of the military genre and popularity of console multiplayer killed the single player FPS genre,we still get some but few and far between

Butcher Bay was one of my biggest surprises in years,never expected it to be so good.

We can always go back to the past. That's why I keep my old WinXP PCs ;)

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By naz99

@Alim298

That's why Abandon ware exists...I'm not getting into it but if the game is not available to buy from eBay or other places then that is your only option and they have very strict rules as soon as a game is available to buy easily they remove said games.

It's why they still exist and they do not suffer the wrath of publishers These would be lost forgotten games otherwise.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00

@alim298 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

WOW! So many FPS games.

The sad thing is that only like one third of them are on steam or GOG.

Yup. I was stoked yesterday when I found a copy of SWAT 4 Gold (with expansion pack) in a box at a small store for 2 bucks. I was missing the expansion pack and that game isn't available on any service.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By naz99

@Black_Knight_00: Remember when digital was supposed to solve this?

Unfortunately intellectual property rights is a messy buisness

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00

@naz99 said:

@Black_Knight_00: Remember when digital was supposed to solve this?

Unfortunately intellectual property rights is a messy buisness

Yes, copyright laws and demand&offer rule. Let's be frank: 90% of videogames would be lost to entropy if it weren't for piracy and underground redistribution.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@azazel676: Dishonored is a fantastic game. Crysis1 is the best game of the series crysis2 is a very close second Crysis3 is good, a bit short dor my likings but a beautiful looking game.

Have you played fallout3 or New Vegas? They are epic games.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@azazel676 said:

Hello There.

Im a die hard FPS lover, and so far i've played pretty much every shooter that has caught my eye but i feel like i've hit a dead end. Can't seem to find a decent game anymore. I've searched the webs endlessly, watched countless youtube videos which mostly list the same games over and over etc..

But anyway, im more of a sc-fi, horror, fantasy lover. Im sick and tired of games like Call of Duty or Battlefield mainly because they only have one type of enemy (yeah humans) which i can kill with a single shot to the head using the same dull weapons and quite frankly they bore me to death even though they have beautiful graphics (which is not so important to me).

I find it far more enjoyable shooting giant robots, aliens, all sorts of twisted nasty creatures.

Now im gonna try and list my favorite games in no particular order and maybe someone call tell me if i have missed something...

Every Borderlands game - Loot is fun, LOOONG campaign which i really appreciate, disgusting creatures etc... Dishonored - Even though most enemies are people, its nothing like CoD, this game was a love at first sight...

Wolfenstein The New Order - I don't remember the last time i've had so much fun...

Every Crysis game - Just beautiful, the graphics of these games are WOW, its also fun shooting aliens... etc...

Then I've also played Bulletstorm, Hard Reset, Alien Rage, Shadow Warrior, Painkiller, Amnesia, Far Cry, Doom 3, the Bioshock games, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Rage, The Darkness 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, F.E.A.R. 2, Serious Sam, Singularity, Thief, TimeShift and probably a few more that i can't remember right now...

I loved playing each of these games, they've given me so much entertainment but there has to be a game or two that i have missed, and i would very much appreciate it if you can recommend a game that i have not played and is similar to the ones mentioned above. Thanks!

Hmm, I was going to recommend Shadow Warrior.

With that said, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro 2033 & Last Light (ps4 is obviously better), Killzone 2 suprisingly has a really good campaign, Resistance 3.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

If you don't mind going back to the past:

Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, SWAT 4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Aliens vs Predator 2, Prey, Pariah, No One Lives Forever, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Alpha Prime, Will Rock...

I could go on for days.

you mentioned some really good games mate.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you don't mind going console, there's KZ2 and KZ3 on the PS3. I use a keyboard/mouse converter which is fine except for the few parts (mostly KZ2) which require Six-Axis.

There's only so many recent FPS games you can play. You have to go down memory lane to find more.

I keep my old games such as Quake 2. Quake 2 runs fine on all recent Windows OSes. I liked the fast-paced, alien cyborg killing mayhem then. I still like it now.

Azazel676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Azazel676

Thank you people for the answers. I couldn't reply for a few days because the site was all messed up.

However i forgot to mention that im looking for games preferably from 2007 and on because i've gotten used to newer graphics and anything before that time just looks kinda miserable in comparison, and not only that but older games are much harder to come by these days. But either way im thankful for the answers, you've listed some interesting games.

Someone mentioned Fallout, i know of this game but it has giant cockroaches or whatever the hell they are and me being entomophobic means that im terrified of them so i try to avoid games with giant insects (especially spiders), Borderlands 2 gave me such a hard time coz there are so many insects and i had to run through certain areas like a little girl :) I've played Metro 2033, but Last Light has these giant mutations of spider and scorpion and makes it harder to play, its a darn shame because the rest of the game seems fantastic, hopefully i'll gather enough courage some day and try it.

I've been wanting to play the Killzone games forever but they didn't come out for PC. And Resistance 3 i just discovered a couple of days ago and it really caught my eye, but then i found it's a PS3 only, i was very disappointed, never owned a console :(

Im currently having a blast with Shadow Warrior (around chapter 11) and to my surprise the campaign is much longer than i expected, awesome game.

Well, as someone already said you can only play so much fps games, i hope 2015 will bring something new and exciting :)

Thank you for the answers !

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I Wil mention some not as well received but I still enjoyed them

Solider of fortune payback - I have a soft spot for this game, it has many flaws but its fun.

Serious sam BFE- controls and plays better than payback and its good mindless fun.

Lozozozozoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 Lozozozozoz
Member since 2014 • 85 Posts

Well, the Uncharted games aren't FPS games, but they are great games which class as shooters. The Last of Us is good as well.

As for FPS, the crysis games, the borderlands games, the killzone games and the far cry games.

The fallout games are fantastic.

Also, if you feel like you've hit a dead end with FPS, why not not try games from other genres? Many years ago, I only ever played RTS games on my PC, I now play pretty much all genres of games on PC and consoles.

Azazel676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Azazel676

@lozozozozoz said:

Well, the Uncharted games aren't FPS games, but they are great games which class as shooters. The Last of Us is good as well.

As for FPS, the crysis games, the borderlands games, the killzone games and the far cry games.

The fallout games are fantastic.

Also, if you feel like you've hit a dead end with FPS, why not not try games from other genres? Many years ago, I only ever played RTS games on my PC, I now play pretty much all genres of games on PC and consoles.

Ah no i play all kinds of games, Third person shooters, RPG, RTS etc... it's just that FPS are my favorite. I've played Tomb Raider (my favorite), Watch Dogs, Gears of War and plenty more... however Uncharted, The Last of Us and Killzone are not PC games and im a PC only gamer so...! Next game i wanna try is Alan Wake, i've had my eye on it for some time now. I'd love to hear some good third person recommendations also, anything but Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect because i cannot stomach them for some reason no matter how hard i try :)

It's a darn shame that only the first Gears of War was released for PC, makes me sad, awesome game!