Console Versions of Modern Warfare 2 Banned in Russia

This topic is locked from further discussion.

prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 prowler666
Member since 2003 • 860 Posts

so what do you think?

SOURCE

edit: if you ask ME, i was ready to bet that US army was funding this game. it really smells a bit like propaganda :)

but seriously, i enjoyed it. it was purely entertainment for me. you shouldn't mess games with politics.

Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts

I'm not the least bit suprised, because I knew this was going to happen. I don't reallly blame them, i mean, imagine if Russia came out with a game calling your country a bunch of terrorists and started virtually slaughtering your people.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

I'm against banning anything like this, but at least this one makes more sense than Left 4 Dead 2 in Australia. MW2 doesn't portray Russia in a positive light, mostlybecause they need villians and they already used the middle east...

Avatar image for wiistation36000
wiistation36000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiistation36000
Member since 2009 • 215 Posts
I hate censorship. I think they could've left the mission out, but come on, banning it?! It's a damn videogame...
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

I hate censorship. I think they could've left the mission out, but come on, banning it?! It's a damn videogame...wiistation36000

Yup.

prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 prowler666

[QUOTE="wiistation36000"]I hate censorship. I think they could've left the mission out, but come on, banning it?! It's a damn videogame...Flamecommando

Yup.

surely you must agree that the line must be drawn somewhere? how about Postal 2? how about going even further (by far. you can do it, use you're imagination) from Postal 2?

MW2 definetly ain't the worst example, but i'm just saying, that the line must go somewhere. but where, there's as much opinions as there's people.

poordude1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 poordude1089
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

I missed the part where they were forced to play this mission. There's a disclamer when you hit "New Game" for a reason guys!

Avatar image for wiistation36000
wiistation36000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wiistation36000
Member since 2009 • 215 Posts

[QUOTE="Flamecommando"]

[QUOTE="wiistation36000"]I hate censorship. I think they could've left the mission out, but come on, banning it?! It's a damn videogame...prowler666

Yup.

surely you must agree that the line must be drawn somewhere? how about Postal 2? how about going even further (by far. you can do it, use you're imagination) from Postal 2?

MW2 definetly ain't the worst example, but i'm just saying, that the line must go somewhere. but where, there's as much opinions as there's people.

Line must be drawn somewhere? That should be up to the individual to decide. We've got a rating system set up (which in my opinion over-exaggerates everything, but that's a topic for another day) to help people decide what is and isn't appropriate for themselves. The Russian (I assume the ban was issued by the government, correct me if I'm wrong) government banning something as harmless as a videogame because it offends them is probably not helping Russia's reputation any. I would be apalled and angered if my country (USA) were in Russia's position and acted the same way.
prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 prowler666

[QUOTE="prowler666"]

[QUOTE="Flamecommando"]

Yup.

wiistation36000

Line must be drawn somewhere? That should be up to the individual to decide. We've got a rating system set up (which in my opinion over-exaggerates everything, but that's a topic for another day) to help people decide what is and isn't appropriate for themselves. The Russian (I assume the ban was issued by the government, correct me if I'm wrong) government banning something as harmless as a videogame because it offends them is probably not helping Russia's reputation any. I would be apalled and angered if my country (USA) were in Russia's position and acted the same way.

ok, i agree with you. i can understand that russians might get offended from this, but banning the whole game is little too much.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I just find it funny that people are up in arms over a videogame, which are completely fictionial, at least most of them are. It's just a videogame, nothing more, nothing less. This is like hearing the same type of backlash for Mel Gibson's Passion Of The Christ, where the Jewish community were enraged over the portrayal of being the bad guy when it was really just...one, a film, and two, it was a vision of an artist and how he saw the whole thing. Basically, it all comes down to interpretation - no need to get fired up over it, IMO.

BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 BenTheJamin
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
[QUOTE="prowler666"]

so what do you think?

SOURCE

edit: if you ask ME, i was ready to bet that US army was funding this game. it really smells a bit like propaganda :)

but seriously, i enjoyed it. it was purely entertainment for me. you shouldn't mess games with politics.

U.S. Army propaganda? MW2 makes the U.S. Army look like a bunch of idiots.