Cloud-based gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Cloud-based gaming? (5 votes)

Yay! 40%
Nay 60%

I say yay for it, but for different reasons than what other people are probably thinking.

I'm sad that disc based gaming is gonna be a thing of the past soon, but hey, it was inevitable. Technology is changing all the time, so we might as well except it. That's all that we (Those of us who aren't in charge of this technology, that is) can do.

• 
Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Add to that what internet costs and data caps may look like in the future. (If you're in the US.) Streamed gameplay may not hold up as well for a lot of folks out there. If you can still buy, and download the actually hard .exe file and ALL of the game assets, and run it on your machine offline or online, then (shrug) OK.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

@platinumking320 said:

Add to that what internet costs and data caps may look like in the future. (If you're in the US.) Streamed gameplay may not hold up as well for a lot of folks out there. If you can still buy, and download the actually hard .exe file and ALL of the game assets, and run it on your machine offline or online, then (shrug) OK.

Yeah, being able to play offline is always good. I haven't been able to do that for Team Fortress 2 on Steam.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i like that it can potentially solve the backwards compatibility problem for consoles, but i don't think our internet infrastructure is far enough along for it to be the default way to play games.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

If the entire world was running on 1+ Gigabit reliable connections...then it might be a viable alternative to current gaming. Otherwise, I think our infrastructure isn't there yet. What are they going to do about the 125+ pings I'm still getting when I game fps? (I have a 20-27Mbs connection)

No way in hell this is going to work out smoothly. .

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

I'm in the middle.

Like I said in the other forums, this is a dealbreaker between the purchase of a Ps3 and Ps4 IMO.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I always want physical, always, but I have to admit I do like the idea of Playstation Now streaming to compliment it. It'll be great to be able to rent retro games without even having to get off my couch if nostalgia kicks in or just play something for a bit if I don't want to go to the trouble of tracking an old copy down to purchase, and I think it's smart they're allowing this to be done on a game-by-game basis or also a subscription based model.