CD-I Your Thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DerveCreaves
Member since 2013 • 345 Posts
If you have actually played a CD-I before, they actually aren;t that rare TBH, but what would you rate it? Have you ever tried games in its library that are not the 3 Zelda games?
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

GEE, IT SURE IS BORING PLAYING THIS SYSTEM.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DerveCreaves

GEE, IT SURE IS BORING PLAYING THIS SYSTEM.

DJ-Lafleur
How did you com to your thought?
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Terrible system with little to no thought behind it other than showing off the then new (for game consoles) CD-rom technology. The licensed Nintendo games were terribly handled. Pretty much any game that's actually good on the system can be found on other systems (Lemmings, Tetris, 7th Guest; for example). And the rest of the games are garbage.

One thing that was cool about it was the edutainment, only because our school actually used CD-i and the edutainment and we'd get to play these mystery games where you had to choose what to do next in the story (they were more like interactive movies). While I wouldn't pay for that at home, it was still cool to do that over the usual school-work when we could.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I'mma quote one of my YouTube Poops (which I keep forgetting I ever made any):

King: "MAH BOI, last night I had a dream about you."

Link: ".......... Huh?"

King: "In this dream I'm ***** right beside you. THEN, **** MEEEEEE, LINK!"

Zelda: "But father-"

King: "Zelda, I'm going to **** you in the morning."

Link: "Yeah! That ol' dong is great!"

Keep trolling, Derve.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

Terrible system with little to no thought behind it other than showing off the then new (for game consoles) CD-rom technology. The licensed Nintendo games were terribly handled. Pretty much any game that's actually good on the system can be found on other systems (Lemmings, Tetris, 7th Guest; for example). And the rest of the games are garbage.

One thing that was cool about it was the edutainment, only because our school actually used CD-i and the edutainment and we'd get to play these mystery games where you had to choose what to do next in the story (they were more like interactive movies). While I wouldn't pay for that at home, it was still cool to do that over the usual school-work when we could.

Emerald_Warrior

I'm sure you've never played one, or most of the people here

the cdi is/was the most advanced video system out there. it has better fmv, than playstation or 3do, if you like fmv games you will love cdi. the library is huge and any system with a huge library is bound to have some good games on them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GikeMZdbT0U

like this, lost eden for cdi

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I've played one, and I'm sure most people don't even remember the marketing campaign or launch controller--which was essentially a tv remote.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

bultje112

the cdi is/was the most advanced video system out there. it has better fmv, than playstation or 3do, if you like fmv games you will love cdi. the library is huge and any system with a huge library is bound to have some good games on them

Yep, buddy of mine bought one about a year ago with a box full of games. There wasn't anything we didn't laugh out loud at because of how horrible the games were, except for a few multiplatform games. Most of the games didn't even control right and were straight unplayable, ESPECIALLY the FMV games.

And I'm not sure what you consider a large game library, but just over 100 games is not what I'd consider "huge".

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I thought the CD-I was more of a VCR/CD video player with "edutainment" functionality rather than a "proper" games console.

They marketed it as such too.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

Yep, buddy of mine bought one about a year ago with a box full of games. There wasn't anything we didn't laugh out loud at because of how horrible the games were, except for a few multiplatform games. Most of the games didn't even control right and were straight unplayable, ESPECIALLY the FMV games.

And I'm not sure what you consider a large game library, but just over 100 games is not what I'd consider "huge".

the cdi has over 200 games. it ran from 1991 till 1999 and it was relatively a poor system for games, no doubt it's one of the worst systems I own, but that doesn't say much considering there are basiclaly no bad systems. and it has it's extreme beauties as well like lords of rising sun, burn cycle, lost eden and more. the cdi has many obscure exclusive games that you won't find anywhere else.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DerveCreaves

I thought the CD-I was more of a VCR/CD video player with "edutainment" functionality rather than a "proper" games console.

They marketed it as such too.

nameless12345
Then they marketed it as a game console a very SHORT time later and got a proper controller and 2 with mixed results.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I have one. It's not a terrible system and there are some exclusive games for it that I enjoy, but it's pretty unremarkable overall. Hotel Mario is actually a fun game, by the way. I enjoy it.
DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DerveCreaves

Emerald_Warrior
First of all CD-I didn't show off new anything, CD went back to around 87 and 89 on consoles IIRC. Next off, garbage games? Here are some off the top of my head:                    All fun games only on CD-I(Except INCA, but the DOS version is inferior. And Crime Patrol, Sega CD has less features and terrible video and worse controls.) I think that is enough by itself to own one. There are others as well.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Emerald_Warrior

^ You and I have a far different definition of "good games".

Compare that list to a similar of SNES, Genesis, or even 3DO games (the CD-i's competitior). You'll find soooo many games that are much better on any of those systems.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DerveCreaves

Compare that list to a similar of SNES, Genesis, or even 3DO games (the CD-i's competitior). You'll find soooo many games that are much better on any of those systems.

Emerald_Warrior
You haven't played nearly any if at all the games on that list.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

DerveCreaves

Did you read the rest of the thread? In my first post I talk about my school having a CD-i for edutainment stuff, and in another post I talk about how a buddy of mine bought a CD-i with a box of games and we all had a grand time laughing our butts off at most of them.

You Know what they say "ass"uming makes you, right?

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Did you read the rest of the thread? In my first post I talk about my school having a CD-i for edutainment stuff, and in another post I talk about how a buddy of mine bought a CD-i with a box of games and we all had a grand time laughing our butts off at most of them.

You what they say "ass"uming makes you, right?

I didn't name one edutainment game, which is not even the majority of games. And only 2 f the game listed are "FMV games" This is you trying to dodge the fact you haven't played any of the games on that list. I'm not assuming anything you're being a jerk.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"] You haven't played nearly any if at all the games on that list. DerveCreaves

I didn't name one edutainment game, which is not even the majority of games. And only 2 f the game listed are "FMV games" This is you trying to dodge the fact you haven't played any of the games on that list. I'm not assuming anything you're being a jerk.

If you truly believe that the CD-i's game libarary even has a chance against standing against it's competition's libraries (SNES, Genesis, 3DO), then I have to say that you have very poor tastes in games, or you're just really trying to spark a debate here.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DerveCreaves

Emerald_Warrior

If you truly believe that the CD-i's game libarary even has a chance against standing against it's competition's libraries (SNES, Genesis, 3DO), then I have to say that you have very poor tastes in games, or you're just really trying to spark a debate here.

I didn't say that though. I never implied it either. You are literally being a jerk and changing goal posts. Let's go over this: 1.You say the games are garbage and there are only slightly over 100. 2.Butje shows there are more games. 3.I list some good games off the top of my head you never played. 4.You talk about edutainment. 5.I listed no edutainment. 6.you accuse me of saying that the games are comparable to genesis or SNES, which I never said, and if I did you would have basically sad my opinion was wrong. but i didn't, so both scenarios are you being a jerk and calling people without your gaming tastes bad in general because of one system. because that makes sense right? I never said that, all I am saying is that there are good games on the system.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Emerald_Warrior

*big long-winded post repeating everything*DerveCreaves

Okay then

First of all, you asked for my opinion, see the thread title?

No, you didn't mention edutainment, I did, in my first post.

Yes, CD-i is a piece of crap system.

And yes, I think you're tastes in games are terrible if you truly do love the system.

If those things make me a jerk, then so be it. But I think you really started the thread just to bait someone like me to say the system is crap so you can react just like this. Because the prevailing opinion on the system matches mine.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"]*big long-winded post repeating everything*Emerald_Warrior

Okay then

First of all, you asked for my opinion, see the thread title?

No, you didn't mention edutainment, I did, in my first post.

Yes, CD-i is a piece of crap system.

And yes, I think you're tastes in games are terrible if you truly do love the systems.

If those things make me a jerk, then so be it. But I think you really started the thread just to bait someone like me to say the system is crap so you can react just like this. Because the prevailing opinion on the system matches mine.

I didn't say I loved the system either, i said it had good games which you continue to deny by trying to make it look like I said something I did not say. Also butje also corrected some of your ignorant statements. If people mostly agreed with you then they: 1.Think the system only had slightly more than 100 games which is wrong 2.Had no good games at all 3.Have not played more than a couple games 4.Think most of it is edutainment. Which some of those are factually wrong. So again, you don;t like the system, you don;t know much about it, ok, but you don;t have to say I am thinking it's on par with gen or I "love" the system when i said it had SOME good games on it because you don't want the system to have good games good lord. I guess butje is also trolling for saying there was good games to? Bait?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

Difference between you and bultje is that he didn't get personal about it, call me a jerk, and accuse me of never playing it. He just said he liked those games he pointed out.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DerveCreaves

Difference between you and bultje is that he didn't get personal about it, call me a jerk, and accuse me of never playing it. He just said he liked those games he pointed out.

Emerald_Warrior
He actually did accuse you in a way of not having knowledge about the system. Also your "Ass"uming comment is why i call you a jerk, because that was necessary right? You really had to put that there eh? That's why we are here.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emerald_Warrior

DerveCreaves

He actually did accuse you in a way of not having knowledge about the system. Also your "Ass"uming comment is why i call you a jerk, because that was necessary right? You really had to put that there eh? That's why we are here.

You mean after you said I never played it? I then accused you of assuming? Wow, that's pretty crazy of me. :roll:

Are we done here? Because yeah, I think the CD-i and it's library sucks, and I think you're nothing more than a troll. So this coversation isn't going anywhere. Especially after now seeing that you made this thread:

Same-Sex marriage should not be supported because it's not a right.

Troll confirmed far as I'm concerned.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bultje112

Emerald_Warrior

where did he say that? :roll:

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"]

where did he say that? :roll:

bultje112

I brought it up, and then he replied to it:

DerveCreaves

By saying I haven't played them tells me that he's saying I wouldn't know, to me that's insinuating that he has played them and believes they're better.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bultje112

why don't you name the games you played and how they played. as I doubt you've played any of those good ones (for a longer time)

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior

why don't you name the games you played and how they played. as I doubt you've played any of those good ones (for a longer time)

bultje112

Like I said in my earlier post, I played a box full of games that my friend got with his CD-i, and we all laughed our butts off at nearly every single one of them. I don't remember most of htem because they were all forgettable.

I know for sure I played the franchised Mario and Zelda games, Maddog McCree (man that was one hilarious!), and Rise of tte Robots which was one of the worst fighters I've ever played. The ones I remember being any good were ones that were already on other systems like Defender of the Crow and Lemmings. And I played quite a few interactive educational/mystery movies at school on the CD-i, like I said. But again, I don't remember the names of the games because they were quit forgettable. I know a few them were science based, and few others were mystery based.

I had no desire to play anymore after playing such lackluster games, with a good majority of them being practically unplayable. I played a large number of games that were in that box, so it's not like I just played 1 or 2 games, either.

In comparison, the SNES, Genesis, and 3DO are masterpieces.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
One of my problems with the Cdi was the controller. First, the fmv games are just lousy. Second, the non fmv games, even if decent, are a btch to control. This is why the console is no good--it's just terribly designed.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bultje112

One of my problems with the Cdi was the controller. First, the fmv games are just lousy. Second, the non fmv games, even if decent, are a btch to control. This is why the console is no good--it's just terribly designed. Heirren

there are regular controllers for cdi that are fine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]One of my problems with the Cdi was the controller. First, the fmv games are just lousy. Second, the non fmv games, even if decent, are a btch to control. This is why the console is no good--it's just terribly designed. bultje112

there are regular controllers for cdi that are fine

I'm not referring to solely the remote style one. The more traditional one is garbage as well.