Castlevania PSP Rondo Of Radness

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

For the unitiated, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles retails for $29.99 and contains a 2.5D Remake of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, a remastered and re-translated Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and the original version of Rondo of Blood.
Rondo of Blood takes place before Castlevania: SOTN and was never released in America.

Here are the reviews for the game so far...

IGN 8.0

1up 8.0 

Game Informer 7.0

GamePro 4.75 out of 5

GameSpy 4 out of 5

Electronic Gaming Monthly 8.33

Play Magazine 8.5

PSM Magazine 9.5
Gamespot 8.0

I picked up the game today and it is fantastic so far.  The 2.5D presentation is great.  The game is very difficult so far, with some very satisfying boss battles.  Don't take my word for it, but so far this seems like one of the better PSP releases I've played and it seems well worth the money.

So get straight, go forward, move ahead, try to detect it, it's not to late to whip it.
Whip it good.
Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

Hopefully I can beg my fiance to buy this for me this weekend.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Which store did you get it at?

By the way, yes, the game is awesome! But it's old school hard and can kick your butt if not ready. People who aren't familiar with Old-School-vania will have a hard time getting into it especially if they've been looking forward to the DS/GBA iterations.

But it's great. Sucks you have to pass the 2.5D remake to unlock Symphony but that's not such a bad thing.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rragnaar

By the way, yes, the game is awesome! But it's old school hard and can kick your butt if not ready. People who aren't familiar with Old-School-vania will have a hard time getting into it especially if they've been looking forward to the DS/GBA iterations.

But it's great. Sucks you have to pass the 2.5D remake to unlock Symphony but that's not such a bad thing.

ASK_Story

I got it at Gamecrazy, they only had two retail copies available, and everything else was preorder... and you are right, Rondo of Blood is way hard.  It has that great old Castlevania feel for sure.  I love the speed of the new ones, and all of the different abilities, but sometimes it is nice to just start whipping some monsters.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Thanks for the impressions. I am going to pick this up alongside Silent Hill Origins in two weeks.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
Visually it could be much better. This is the worst looking 2.5-D game I've seen, and I've pretty much played them all on the DS/PSP.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ASK_Story
Really? I think it looks great! On par with Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins...same difficulty too.
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

OK, that's it... time to buy a PSP.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Wait, SOTN is re-translated? Third time I'm buying this game.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

Finally! The game I bought a PSP for.

Also can someone explain to me the meaning of 2.5D? Or the concept of 0.5 or any other non integer number of a dimension?

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Also can someone explain to me the meaning of 2.5D? Or the concept of 0.5 or any other non integer number of a dimension?

bugsonglass

Well, I can't explain that, I'm too dumb. But I found this. Hope it helps.

The term is usually used with computer graphics, especially video games, where a computer system uses 2D computer graphics to visually simulate 3D computer graphics. One such method is where a 2D image has an added "depth" channel or Z-buffer which may act like a height map. The term is also used to describe 3D scenes built completely or partially from a composite of flat 2D images; and also where gameplay is restricted to a 2D plane while the display uses 3D graphics and 3D models. wikipedia

rragnaar, your new sig and avatar are awesome!

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
$39.99? Gamestop was selling it for $29.99...
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MAILER_DAEMON

ASK_Story
You don't. There's a hidden item in stage 3' that unlocks Symphony, and an item in stage 4 that unlocks the original Rondo (if you all miss the cheese acting from the original Symphony, then you should be satisfied with the original Rondo... when Richter saved Maria was just painful... :()
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

Very nice. The PSP is just about 1 game away from getting me to break down and buy one.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shifty_Pete

bugsonglass
2.5D refers to a game with 3D graphics that plays like a 2D game. In the remake of Dracula X, everything is done with polygons instead of sprites, but it still plays like an old-school platformer--you never move towards or away from the camera, just left/right/up/down.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rragnaar
$39.99? Gamestop was selling it for $29.99...MAILER_DAEMON
Oh jeez, you are absolutely right.  I will fix that.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I couldn't find this game yesterday, and I really, really want it. I've been waiting for this game since the day it was announced--on Turbo Duo. Hopefully I'll find it today. I have to drop by Best Buy, so maybe they'll have it today.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]$39.99? Gamestop was selling it for $29.99...rragnaar
Oh jeez, you are absolutely right. I will fix that.

Worth mentioning that Wal-Mart was selling it for $39.99... so don't go there. :P
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rragnaar
Gamespot has their review up finally.  I agree 100% with their assessment of this game's difficulty.  Good lord.  I am a pansy.  I went back to playing Jeanne D'Arc for a while just to regroup before assaulting Rondo of Blood again.  Wowsers, this game is hard!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I would definitely think of going and picking it up... but with two giant term paper coming up I'd be better off not getting into new games right now. This along with DJMAX 2 Portable and Crysis will just have to wait until later November.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

bugsonglass

It's really simple actually. Its a term used for any games that have 3D graphics (polygons and all that jazz) but 2D gameplay. The .5 doesn't really have any mathmatical meaning, its just a commonly-used term. Here, a pic should demonstrate:

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shifty_Pete
Gamespot has their review up finally. I agree 100% with their assessment of this game's difficulty. Good lord. I am a pansy. I went back to playing Jeanne D'Arc for a while just to regroup before assaulting Rondo of Blood again. Wowsers, this game is hard!rragnaar
Play Haunted Castle sometime. It's like the arcade equivalent of being kneed in the crotch repeatedly... and paying a quarter each time.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Gamespot has their review up finally. I agree 100% with their assessment of this game's difficulty. Good lord. I am a pansy. I went back to playing Jeanne D'Arc for a while just to regroup before assaulting Rondo of Blood again. Wowsers, this game is hard!Shifty_Pete
Play Haunted Castle sometime. It's like the arcade equivalent of being kneed in the crotch repeatedly... and paying a quarter each time.

:lol:

That sounds awful!

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Whooo another game ot buy in two weeks when I get paid. This is a no brainer for me, and unline that crybaby ragnar I am a real man and can handle real games. Go back to your ratchet and clank wussy! :P
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rragnaar
Whooo another game ot buy in two weeks when I get paid. This is a no brainer for me, and unline that crybaby ragnar I am a real man and can handle real games. Go back to your ratchet and clank wussy! :PGodModeEnabled

Pwned!
TheCrimsonblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheCrimsonblur
Member since 2003 • 1376 Posts
Bought this day one. Rondo of Blood is definitely the best Castlevania that is not modeled after SoTN, and some would even say it is the best Castlevania, period. The difficulty might be a bit offsetting, but I recommend everyone to go through it. I finished the 2D version today, and I plan on finishing the 2.5D sometiime soon, and I can wholeheartedly recommend this. Especially to fans who haven't experienced the oldschool Castlevanias. Remember, its also the prequel to Symphony of the Night, so if you liked that game, this game will give you some more backstory.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Whooo another game ot buy in two weeks when I get paid. This is a no brainer for me, and unline that crybaby ragnar I am a real man and can handle real games. Go back to your ratchet and clank wussy! :Prragnaar

Pwned!

Oh no you didnt! You cant compare a game that slays you with ****ing stealth level grinding to one that involves pure oldschool skill!! MADNESS. Oh btw mr smarty pants did you reach the last boss in jeanne d arc yet? Good luck :evil:
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
Man, I'd buy a PSP just for this... buuuut, I'd need at least a few more must have games.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ASK_Story

^^ Than there should be no problem buying a PSP because there are a handful of must-have games! 8)

It's worth it, especially for CASTLEVANIA DRACULA X!!!

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Indeed, my PSP collection has grown immensely in the past few months. Come to think of it, I never had problems finding games I really liked. Been a while since I counted, but I think I have more gamesfor thePSP than I do for the DS.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#31 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Finally picked up this gem after it was delayed a week in Canada. The music in this game is great, and there's so much of it across three games. I like the fact that you can assign music to each level...what kind of setups do you guys have? Maria is pretty weak health-wise, but her weapons are powerful. The dragon item crash is pretty broken. What is ALJIBA?
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rragnaar
Oh no you didnt! You cant compare a game that slays you with ****ing stealth level grinding to one that involves pure oldschool skill!! MADNESS. Oh btw mr smarty pants did you reach the last boss in jeanne d arc yet? Good luck :evil:GodModeEnabled

You are absolutely right, it is an apples to oranges comparison.  I just wanted to be a jerk.  I'm at the last boss in Jeanne D'arc right now.  I got killed the first time I went in there because my Roger character is level 50, and everyone else I have is about level 75.  I was going to go and level him up, but I think I will just leave him in the back of the room and go crush everyone while he stays back and sucks his thumb.  It really sucks that you have to keep him alive in that fight, as he is a total liability.