This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 Arkthemaniac
Member since 2007 • 1237 Posts

I don't know if another Castlevania console game has been announced or not, but I think it should be 2D. The 3D incarnations of the games may have been somewhat good, but in no way did they live up to the 2D versions, most notably Symphony of the Night. SOTN was a perfect example of a successful 2D adventure in a 3D game's world. Now that we have such graphical achievements as Gears of War and Oblivion, or even Mario Galaxy, Konami seems reluctant to make a 2D game. Castlevania was always thought of as a 2D game, and so it should be. I mean, think of a 2D game with graphics as crisp and clean as only the PS3 and 360 have to offer. They would be good to look at, and they would be FUN, which was the main thing that the 3D Castlevanias didn't have that the 2D ones did.

What do you think?

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Maybe a WiiWare game could be in the works?
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts

2D Castlevania's were better, but thats not the issue. Its that they just haven't found a good way to adapt it to 3D. A prime example (no pun intended) is the Metroid series. Lots of people simply believed it wouldn't work in 3 dimensions, and many gave up hope on it. That turned into Metroid Prime, one of the greatest games ever made.

Its just a matter of Konami finding a good way to do it, and I'm sure its not outside of their capability...

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Historically, most 2D games have had some difficulty making the transition to 3D. All of the dynamics are altered when changing, and it fundamentally alters the flow of the game.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

2D Castlevania's were better, but thats not the issue. Its that they just haven't found a good way to adapt it to 3D. A prime example (no pun intended) is the Metroid series. Lots of people simply believed it wouldn't work in 3 dimensions, and many gave up hope on it. That turned into Metroid Prime, one of the greatest games ever made.

Its just a matter of Konami finding a good way to do it, and I'm sure its not outside of their capability...

Fortier

yet i would still take the 2D metroids over prime in a heartbeat. even the most successful transition to 3d can lose something. metroid prime 1 and 3 were superb, but i still wish i could play an HD, 2D masterpeice that i know someone could make.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Castlevania Dracula X for the PSP is the closest 3D true Castlevania you'll get.

My hope is Iga was experimenting to see if 2.5D Castlevania might be the way to go. And maybe depending on how well Castlevania Dracula X does, he'll make a brand new console Castlevania game that's like the PSP version.

I think instead of wasting money on a 3D Castlevania that will suck, Iga should give what the fans wants and make a Symphony of the Night type of Castlevania for consoles with 2.5D graphics. That'd be much, much better, IMO!

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

^^^What would be best if they would make a fully 2D Castlevania game ;) (j/k you can think whatever you want :P)

Anyway I'd prefer for 2D gaming to comeback in general. With so many genres and stylles of play there is no reason it shouldn't be able to co-exist with 3D. However I have been noticing that there are a fair share amount of 2D games coming to the Wii.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Castlevania has survived the transition to 3D rather well, its called Devil May Cry now though. :P
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

I don't know if another Castlevania console game has been announced or not, but I think it should be 2D. The 3D incarnations of the games may have been somewhat good, but in no way did they live up to the 2D versions, most notably Symphony of the Night. SOTN was a perfect example of a successful 2D adventure in a 3D game's world.

Arkthemaniac

The SOTN-World wasn´t 3D....well as far as I´ve heard the next Castlevania is in 2D and will be released for the 360,maybe for the PS3 too.At least the producer said he wanted to do it in 2D.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
[QUOTE="Arkthemaniac"]

I don't know if another Castlevania console game has been announced or not, but I think it should be 2D. The 3D incarnations of the games may have been somewhat good, but in no way did they live up to the 2D versions, most notably Symphony of the Night. SOTN was a perfect example of a successful 2D adventure in a 3D game's world.

Ash2X

The SOTN-World wasn´t 3D....well as far as I´ve heard the next Castlevania is in 2D and will be released for the 360,maybe for the PS3 too.At least the producer said he wanted to do it in 2D.

Are you sure it's for consoles? I know another DS Castlevania is in the works.

And I heard time and time again Iga is thinking up ways to make the perfect Metroid Prime-like transition to 3D for a Castlevania console game.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ash2X
[QUOTE="Ash2X"][QUOTE="Arkthemaniac"]

ASK_Story

Are you sure it's for consoles? I know another DS Castlevania is in the works.

And I heard time and time again Iga is thinking up ways to make the perfect Metroid Prime-like transition to 3D for a Castlevania console game.

The DS part is seperate.But after the 3D-parts had been not that popular,it´s the wisest choice.I bet it will be a 3D-Game with a 2D-Gameplay.

Sr_Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sr_Mateus
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

I think they should not give up on 3D yet. If you want a 2D Castlevania, there's plenty of them, 3 on this gen and and 3 more on last gen (without mentioning SOTN on XBLA and PSN). 3D Castlevania have only been less than that. Those in the N64 sucked but both and the ps2 didn't meet expectation but were avarage games. At Least they sound like Castlevania, looks like Castlevania. They just don't quite play or feel like Castlevania. Many series adapted themselves to 3D easily, like Mario, Prince of Persia and Metroid. But Castleviania still needs sometime to find its path.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ash2X

I think they should not give up on 3D yet. If you want a 2D Castlevania, there's plenty of them, 3 on this gen and and 3 more on last gen (without mentioning SOTN on XBLA and PSN). 3D Castlevania have only been less than that. Those in the N64 sucked but both and the ps2 didn't meet expectation but were avarage games. At Least they sound like Castlevania, looks like Castlevania. They just don't quite play or feel like Castlevania. Many series adapted themselves to 3D easily, like Mario, Prince of Persia and Metroid. But Castleviania still needs sometime to find its path.

Sr_Mateus

Where?There was not a single original 2D-Castlevania since the PS1 (not counting SotN on XBLA,PS1´s Chronicles wasa remake).There had been 3 3D-Parts on the N64,one PS2 exclusive and one on PS2 and XBox.The rest was on Handhelds.And I personally don´t care about Handhelds and won´t buy one just for one game.

I want a real Castlevania on a normal console,because they didn´t release one since 10 years!Just some medicore 3D-parts no one ever wanted anyway.I don´t say it has no potential,but there are some games that sholdn´t be touched (Sonic,Mario,Megaman,Zelda) because they loose the originality that made them what they are.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
[QUOTE="Sr_Mateus"]

Ash2X

Where?There was not a single original 2D-Castlevania since the PS1 (not counting SotN on XBLA,PS1´s Chronicles wasa remake).There had been 3 3D-Parts on the N64,one PS2 exclusive and one on PS2 and XBox.The rest was on Handhelds.And I personally don´t care about Handhelds and won´t buy one just for one game.

I want a real Castlevania on a normal console,because they didn´t release one since 10 years!Just some medicore 3D-parts no one ever wanted anyway.I don´t say it has no potential,but there are some games that sholdn´t be touched (Sonic,Mario,Megaman,Zelda) because they loose the originality that made them what they are.

Handheld Castlevanias are real and they are all great games. A DS gives you access to 5 of them (i'm sensing more to come), and a PSP to a further 3 (in a way) ... also sensing more to come. Both well worth it!

Personally I'd like to see as many 2D (or 2.5D if you like) Castlevanias as possible whether on handhelds or home consoles.

I also hope Contra4 on the DS proves a great game and breathes new life into another great Konami franchise.

Sr_Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sr_Mateus
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
[QUOTE="Sr_Mateus"]

Ash2X

And some poeple don't care for consoles and won't buy one for castlevania. They have been released. Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonace were great games, but I won't talk about Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin because I haven't played them. And I took into accoun Dracula X Chronicle because it's a worthwhile compilation with a "unreleased" game, a remake and a port.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Castlevania has survived the transition to 3D rather well, its called Devil May Cry now though. :PGodModeEnabled

So true. Really felt bad about Konami when I first played this. Though it could be argued that DMC only brought part of the feel to 3D. The platforming never made it.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
YOu know, I actually thought Castlevania 64 was a pretty good step in the right direction for a 3-D Castlevania. Yeah it had a lot of polish to be done, but the enemy targetting was done well enough, andit hadappropriate settings/environments. That first level of the graveyard before you got into the castle was extremely well done as a matter of fact. But they tossed a lot of that aside when they made Lament of Innocence and tried another way with 3-D that I think was a big step backwards.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
the handheld games were good and decently fun, but i dont know, they lose something for me when compared to a full blown console game. just seriously imagine what ASK_story said, a 2.5d game fully realized in HD on a console. fans have been dying for it, they should at least give it a try in between the 3d games. although im not saying abandon them. as mentioned, devil may cry is proof that the style of game can work in 3D.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ash2X
[QUOTE="Ash2X"][QUOTE="Sr_Mateus"]

Sr_Mateus

And some poeple don't care for consoles and won't buy one for castlevania. They have been released. Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonace were great games, but I won't talk about Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin because I haven't played them. And I took into accoun Dracula X Chronicle because it's a worthwhile compilation with a "unreleased" game, a remake and a port.

Maybe,but the fact is even if CoM and HoD were great (at least HoD) I think a bigger console deserves a new game.Handhelds are nice toys for a trip,but I want a big one.Like ASK said a 2.5D game on next gen level,not on the same as 10 years before.That doesn´t mean that the graphics aren´t great,it just means they could use todays possibilities to make a old concept state of the art.And that´s a thing we won´t and can´t see on a Handheld.That´s the point.The PSP is a great Handheld,but it doesn´t have DD5.1-Sound,and a 1meter-TV :P

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
The 3d games arent horrible, but with other 3d games like it, its hard to compete. I like the 2d better and SOTN and Dawn of sorrow are my favorite.