Capcom: Only $152 Million in the Bank

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
This speaks volumes as to how much in trouble Capcom really is. It seems that this will make them more dependent on DLC than ever but most importantly it means that from now on, whatever new project they release, if it manages to be a failure of the massive scale as RE6 was, then it is curtains for them, they are done. http://gaminrealm.com/2013/09/10/capcom-152-mil-bank/
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

I not surprised at all. Capcom's current business model is not sustainable. 

And honestly, I'd be happy if Capcom went bankrupt, if only so that the rest of the industry can learn from their mistakes.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Capcom should stop pissing off their customers and stop making shitty games. take RE back to its roots and make a new Mega Man. id hate to see them go bankrupt because i grew up playing some awesome capcom games

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
They shouldn't have canceled 3 megaman titles and done a whole lot to get their costumers mad like on-disc dlc
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Capcom needs to swallow its pride and stop making megabudget games which needs millions and millions of sales to break even and start focusing on smaller games for smaller audiences.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Capcom needs to swallow its pride and stop making megabudget games which needs millions and millions of sales to break even and start focusing on smaller games for smaller audiences.

CarnageHeart

I think they should simply stop trying to be the asian EA and listen to their fans a bit more instead. Crapcom has dozens of millions of fans, in between Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman, DMC, Dead Rising and all the classic games from the 80s and 90s, but Street Fighter aside they have been doing the opposite of what the fans have been asking. What does the RE crowd want? They want a proper survival horror game with limited ammo and an eerie atmosphere. What has capcom done? 4 zombie-mob third person shooters in 8 years, with plentiful ammo and big michael bay explosions. Revelaitons (no typo) was a step in the right direction, but it should have been on home consoles to begin with instead of handhelds.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
can't stand them, so it wouldn't bother me. at all.
zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
That's not good. I still like them, even if they refuse to do anything with Mega Man. :(
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Hopefully things work out because they are pretty much one of my favorite developers. Dead Rising, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5 and the new DMC remake were all AAA games to me.
Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
Wish I had that amount of money on my bank. For a game developer this is not much. Wondering if they ever gonna release a new game (marvel vs. capcom?)
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Game development has always been a balancing act between the creative side and the business side.  Capcom's just an example of what happens when that balance shifts way too far to the business side.  They look at gamers as nothing more than a profit center to be exploited to the maximum degree possible.

fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts

Game development has always been a balancing act between the creative side and the business side.  Capcom's just an example of what happens when that balance shifts way too far to the business side.  They look at gamers as nothing more than a profit center to be exploited to the maximum degree possible.

Jackc8
yep but good riddens other then street fighter of course that itself is a bit of a shame... I wonder who will get street fighter when they start to auction off there licenses....
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#14 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Capcom can blame nobody but themselves

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Capcom's current financial situation seems to have been caused by that company's struggle to maintain its big budget franchises' expenses. Franchises such as Resident Evil, Lost Planet, and Devil May Cry are three examples of Capcom's decisions to make games without minding consumer interest. Mega Man is also a franchise which has been neglected. I wish Capcom would listen to what interests fans instead of using ideas that many consider obtuse because they are changing popular franchises in ways people do not like. Sales figures are evidence of that consideration. As a person who has played and owned video game consoles every generation since the third (Nintendo Entertainment System), I hope Capcom changes its approach to games because it is not succeeding right now like I know it has the potential to.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I hope they go out of business as an example to the rest of the industry. If you piss on your fans and drive away all your talent (Mikami, Inafune, Kamiya, and Inaba just to name a few...) you deserve to fail. Especially after what they've done to the fighting game genre. I will never forgive them for following up the masterpiece that was Third Strike with the dog shit in a box that was IV.
Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
They had it coming. What saddens me about this is that they had so much potential going for them in terms of franchises going into this gen. Time after time they just can't seem to get it right. Their DLC practices, giving some of their franchises to other companies to work on, cancelling what could have been great games, and flops left and right. The only thing I see that they haven't 100% screwed up is the FGC. Even then they made SFXT which didn't sit well with the FGC (Which is surprising because the FGC in majority usually just takes whatever Capcom gives them no questions asked.). Even behind the scenes they've made questionable decisions that led to things such as the closing of Excellent Adventures, which was one of my most beloved things to watch on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wahz4v6qEYk <-Entire story about what happened to Gootecks, Mike Ross, and the rest of CC there. I just don't understand.....Capcom just isn't Capcom anymore to me. So when I look at this news I just think to myself yeah.....they had it coming.
Strider8009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Strider8009
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

I don't want the company to go out of business, but I can't support this current version of Capcom. The IPs could get split up to companies that you don't want going to like EA or Activision, but if the entire company goes to one company like Konami or Take 2 I would be fine with that.

They need to do away with their crap business pratices and make a game that's worth paying full for - it needs to provide enough content, it needs to be well made, and not have a bunch of DLC held back. 

Strider8009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Strider8009

The only thing I see that they haven't 100% screwed up is the FGC. Darkmoone1
The 90 updates to SFIV says hi. 

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkmoone1"]The only thing I see that they haven't 100% screwed up is the FGC. Strider8009

Are you saying balancing a game is a bad thing or a good thing?
Strider8009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Strider8009

[QUOTE="Strider8009"]

[QUOTE="Darkmoone1"]The only thing I see that they haven't 100% screwed up is the FGC. MethodManFTW

You know what I mean. Don't be vague. 

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Strider8009"] The 90 updates to SFIV says hi. 

Strider8009

No I really don't know what you mean... which is why I asked.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I really don't care what happens to them at this point. 

Strider8009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Strider8009

[QUOTE="Strider8009"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] Are you saying balancing a game is a bad thing or a good thing?MethodManFTW

This little game you're playing doesn't help Capcom's case. Lets see how you would feel if Street Fighter was bought by EA or Activision. 

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Strider8009"]You know what I mean. Don't be vague. 

Strider8009

This little game you're playing doesn't help Capcom's case. Lets see how you would feel if Street Fighter was bought by EA or Activision. 

My last few forum posts have nothing to do with Capcom at all. I asked if you were saying constantly updating a game is a bad or good thing.
Mrod1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Mrod1212
Member since 2009 • 1165 Posts

Dang, that sucks. I personally have enjoyed their recent releases.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
They think they can make lots of money by remaking the same game with a couple extra characters over and over and adding super or arcade to the name.. it's no wonder they don't make money.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#28 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I remember when the word "Capcom" found on the box meant the game was going to be of excellent quality and worth my time. 

Now it's something to avoid. 

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
I actually hope they go bankrupt. Maybe Nintendo could pick up the rights to Mega Man. Their handling of him in the new Smash game shows they have far more respect for the character than any of the people left at Capcom do at this point. I'd also like to see Konami lose Castlevania so we can get REAL Castlevania games again instead of these shallow God of War rip offs we've been getting as of late.
MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts

Used to love them in the 90s and buy pretty much all their games. Now, I rarely buy their games.

Give nintendo megaman, someone else monster hunter :D

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts
I would hate to lose Capcom. I like RE. I didn't like how its become more of a military shooter though that sucks. Dragon's Dogma is an amazingly cool game!
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Strider8009"]You know what I mean. Don't be vague. 

Strider8009

gonna echo method's question again, since you keep refusing to give a straight answer. i've reread your posts 3 times. are you trying to say that all the updates is a negative on capcom and/or the game?
Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

I figured they were in big trouble at this point after all they've done.  They're certainly going to fail in the not too distant future if they don't get it together. 

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3107 Posts
Capcom put themselves in this situation. On their present course, I doubt they can get themselves out. Now if only this would happen to EA and Activision...
MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts
I would hate to lose Capcom. I like RE. I didn't like how its become more of a military shooter though that sucks. Dragon's Dogma is an amazingly cool game!good_sk8er7
We wouldn't lose RE, it would go to another company. Give it to the guys behind amnesia.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts
Well I sure hope that they can improve their situation over there. I've been a big fan of their games ever since the NES days and I'd hate to see them go out of buisness or lose any of their IP's. They have some of the greatest franchises in all of gaming. Personally I've loved most of the games that they've released this gen like:
  • Street Fighter IV games
  • Street Fighter X Tekken
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 3 games
  • Lost Planet 1 & 2
  • Dead Rising 1 & 2
  • Resident Evil 5, 6, and Revelations
  • Bionic Commando
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • and many of their HD remakes and re-releases