Can anyone recommend a game that fits this description?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DJgummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DJgummy
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

Hello all,

I'm looking for a (as much as possible) linear single-player game based on dodging enemies whose attacks are slow and heavily telegraphed and who are carefully placed within well-designed and challenging platforming levels. Preferably, the game should have no RPG elements and contain a number of bosses. The game can be short, 2D or 3D, for any platform, and doesn't need to fit the description perfectly.

I'm well aware that older 2D games are more likely to match the description, and that was where I was looking anyway.

Thanks!

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Super Castlevania IV, or Rondo of Blood. Old games but fit your description and you will unlikely regret playing them.

@megane said:

As much as I love Bayonetta 2, Devil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, and so on. They have RPG mechanics in the shape of upgrades. TC specifically asks for games without such a feature that uses points to buff characters.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#4 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Super Castlevania IV, or Rondo of Blood. Old games but fit your description and you will unlikely regret playing them.

@megane said:

As much as I love Bayonetta 2, Devil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, and so on. They have RPG mechanics in the shape of upgrades. TC specifically asks for games without such a feature that uses points to buff characters.

They're more ways to expand and diversify your combat arsenal.

I dont think they're time-wasting like the TC mentioned. It just seemed like he didnt want something like Monster Hunter.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@illmatic87: Wouldn't really call buffing your HP as arsenal but I see your point of view, as most the time it's for spells and guns unlike Monster Hunter which actually requires stuff like stat buffs/ looting parts/ and effect potions.

However; it's still in his general post. And heck Devil May Cry 3 is one of my favourite games ever with Bayonetta 2 as a close second, but RPG elements are still in all these games. Shame, as it cuts him from many games he'd probably enjoy.

I'd even recommend Guacamelee and Dragon's Crown but again (RPG elements)

When it's a help post it's best to carefully answer back and take in what the poster is after. Super Castlevania IV & Castlevania Rondo of Blood are my picks because unlike later entries they don't use any RPG mechanics. Requiring raw skill and nothing else.

DJgummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By DJgummy
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions! I updated the original post slightly.