Call me the luckiest guy in the world.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zthunder
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

I've been busting my ass trying to find the first Resident Evil from a bunch of different pawn shops. I FINALLY find one when I visit this new retro gaming store in the mall by my house and buy it in an instant. But what happens when I turn it on? It works. It works perfectly UNTIL I MEET WESKER IN THE FREAKIN GARDEN HOUSE! Every time I run out there it starts freezing! I am completely blown.

There is no scratches on the disk that looks dangerous enough to do this. In fact, the back is pretty much clean. So does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? Or am I screwed? If I have to pay 50 plus for this game online when I found it for 15 I will be extremely angry.

Rej72380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 Rej72380
Member since 2003 • 545 Posts

TC, are you playing this game on the PS2? If so, then the problem lies within the backwards compatibiltiy of PSOne games.

Zthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zthunder

Yeah, I'm playing on a PS2. Most of my other PS1 games work on it though. Was it ever stated that there were problems with Resident Evil on the PS2? Because RE3 is working fine on it.

Rej72380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 Rej72380
Member since 2003 • 545 Posts

Yeah, I'm playing on a PS2. Most of my other PS1 games work on it though. Was it ever stated that there were problems with Resident Evil on the PS2? Because RE3 is working fine on it.

Zthunder

You could check the PS2 backwards compatibility FAQ on Gamespot's sister site, gamefaqs.com, which should more than likely have RE1 in there.

Zthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zthunder

I just checked it. RE1 isn't listed anywhere. Although that was an interesting faq. I thought the PS2 didn't have any backwards compatibility problems. I'm telling you, the back of the disk looks REALLY clean. I don't know how this could have happened.

Zthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zthunder

So thats it? No one else has any other ideas?

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 anbu-black-ops
Member since 2008 • 2380 Posts
have you tried playing the game on another ps2 and/or ps1, maybe at your friends house or something. if its still the same, im pretty sure the cd is defective. thats your only option. unless you already tried cleaning it with a cd cleaner...
PSX-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#9 PSX-man
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts

Damn! That sucks! I once bought a game called The Mission for the Playstation that hada scratch that was soo deep that you could put down your fingernail in it. The only difference is that The Mission sucks and Resident Evil rocks.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

Are you using the fast load or smooth texture options for PS1 games? For certain games, those options can cause various problems if they are turned on.

Otherwise, the PS2 can be random with disc errorr and problems. My PS2 once gave me the Red Screen of Death when I tried to play Star Ocean on it. It eventally worked, but I was still bothered by how random it was.

Zthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zthunder

Are you using the fast load or smooth texture options for PS1 games? For certain games, those options can cause various problems if they are turned on.

Otherwise, the PS2 can be random with disc errorr and problems. My PS2 once gave me the Red Screen of Death when I tried to play Star Ocean on it. It eventally worked, but I was still bothered by how random it was.

caryslan2

I don't know. How do I check the fast load or texture thing? If I can't get it working today I just might have to take it back.*sigh* and then buy it on Ebay for like 50 something dollars!

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="caryslan2"]

Zthunder

I don't know. How do I check the fast load or texture thing? If I can't get it working today I just might have to take it back.*sigh* and then buy it on Ebay for like 50 something dollars!

When you start up the system with no disc, you can hit Triangle and adjust the settings. Sounds like you have a faulty disc though (sometimes scratches can be on top, where the data is)... and please specify in your first post next time which console you're playing it on, because RE1 is on PS1, Saturn, GC (remade), and DS (enhanced port).
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

you wrong, we are telling from years the definitive version of resident evil is remake!!!! don't look further , original game is enough inferior to gc counterpart, you d better catch gc and search for that extraordinary remake.................don't lose your time playing resident evil PS

Zthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zthunder

you wrong, we are telling from years the definitive version of resident evil is remake!!!! don't look further , original game is enough inferior to gc counterpart, you d better catch gc and search for that extraordinary remake.................don't lose your time playing resident evil PS

hurriflash

Thanks for the advice but I owned both a Gamecube and remake. I've played it before. Probably the best RE imo. But I never felt like buying a gamecube again so I just looked for this thing. It's pretty nostalgic playing it in the PS1 version though. Thats why I've been searching for it.

Oh and MAILER I think you hit the hammer on the nail. While the back of the disk is perfect, the front does have a few scratches on it. I thought the main data was on the back but hey, you learn something new everyday I guess. Well, back to the drawing board. I guess I'll return it.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="hurriflash"]

Zthunder

Thanks for the advice but I owned both a Gamecube and remake. I've played it before. Probably the best RE imo. But I never felt like buying a gamecube again so I just looked for this thing. It's pretty nostalgic playing it in the PS1 version though. Thats why I've been searching for it.

Oh and MAILER I think you hit the hammer on the nail. While the back of the disk is perfect, the front does have a few scratches on it. I thought the main data was on the back but hey, you learn something new everyday I guess. Well, back to the drawing board. I guess I'll return it.

I didn't know it until my local Play 'N Trade tried to fix my FFIX disc 1 with no success. There was a scratch through the label into the disc itself, and apparently what happens is that the data itself is on top of the disc, on the other side of the label. The reason scratches on the bottom can be fixed is because those scratches just keep the laser from focusing. If the scratch is on top, the data gets corrupted. :? But yeah, return it as a defective product. If you can't find a good copy of the game on PS1 or Saturn, check out the DS version. You can play either the classic RE '96 or a somewhat remixed version that adds touch screen mechanics and puzzles at times, and the classic mode has the original voices, movies, etc. The only difference is that the knife is mapped to L and doesn't take up inventory space... I guess after RE4 it was one of those "Why didn't we do this sooner?" things. :o
TOC48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 TOC48
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts

if the problem lies in the disc's condition then take it to the local game crazy if you have one. They will clean it for like2 or 3 bucks, and it will look brand new.

Akubura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Akubura
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

BERRY!!! WHERES BERRY!!!!

I dont know but hes probably.....

NOOOOOO!!!!

is it bad that I remember the script? Resident evil was the first game I owned on PS1 Games were so great back then... :(

DManSteelerFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 DManSteelerFan
Member since 2009 • 1097 Posts
Thanks Akubura, I completely forgot, RE was my very 1st PS1 game too. I didn't realize it until I read your post. Its kinda crazy cause when I lived with my dad (my parents split ages ago) he bought me a PS2 and I really wanted The Lost World: Jurassic Park but I couldn't find it. So (back then) I seen this "new game" Resident Evil. I looked at the front and back and it looked like it was right up my alley. I got home and put it in and was hooked. I remember freaking out when I had walked into a previously empty room, this time there was a zombie and I completely freaked out. This is nostalgia like I've never experienced. I can't believe that I forgot that RE was my 1st game. One sad thing is, back then I got stuck on the plant part, I couldn't figure out how to kill it and I never got any further. At least until now, I'm playing the GC version and I look to YouTube when I get stuck. I love the GC version!