Broadband speed! Whats yours and do you think it matters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supergokublitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By supergokublitz
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts

Do you think average broadband speeds have reach a comfortable level for online games?

Do we need to worry about speeds with more and more dedicated servers? Or with the advent of cloud computing on the horizon do we need it more than ever?

Obviously from platform to platform offer different experiences that may alter peoples views.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22677 Posts

Great question... Wrong board brother... I'm gonna go ahead and move this to general gaming discussion and hopefully it gets some play over there.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I've wondered about that too... and issues like how different speeds affect competition. For example, does someone with a 100mb connection have a true advantage against someone with 1 or 2mb connection?

Like in twitch gaming in fighters or shooters, does lag give you an advantage, or put you at a disadvantage?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

250 Download and 20 upload but you are on the wrong board with this bro xD

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Zen_Light Depends on the player, i know people who specialized in taking advantage of the lag...

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

My connection is really bad. 5.22 mbps download speed. Connection is only good for playing against local players. But many Asians don't play Western games, which I always play. Good thing Cod is something every single person plays so no connection problem there. But when it comes to Dragon Age: Inquisition multiplayer... not good at all. At least the single player is amazing but still wouldn't hurt to play multi here and there.

As for whether the lagger is at an advantage or not, not sure really. I remember I was wrecking in one match in Cod:aw when I had one bar of connection lol. I could tell my opponents were confused. But it's not consistent. Sometimes its downright unplayable at one bar.

legendary70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 legendary70
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

I got 60+ DL and 6+ UL. I do think having a fast broadband helps with online gaming as well as streaming videos. I've had TWC with these speeds for approx. 2 years now with NO lag at all. Example:

I used to have ATT DSL before TWC.......it sucked big time. It could not handle what WE were throwing at it. This is my homes electronic components that run on my current speed........3 Xbox ones, 3 PS4's, 3 PS3's, 5 360's, 2 gaming desktops, 4 laptops, 4 Ipads, WiiU and several phones. Now obviously not all of them are running at the same time. BUT any given day my son will be on league of legends, my other boys will be on black ops 2 and plants vs zombies, while I will be on exo zombies, my daughter will be on black ops 2 also and my wife will be watching Netflix. All this running on the above speed with NO LAG at all.

So YES I am in love with my speeds. Supposedly TWC will be upgrading this package speed to 200+ DL within the next few months at no extra charge.......WOW!

So YES I think speed is everything when gaming or streaming.........