BioShock Infinite Delayed To February 26th, 2013

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

When we announced the release date ofBioShock Infinitein March, we felt pretty good about the timing.

Since then, we?ve come to realize that some specific tweaks and improvements will makeInfiniteinto something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need, we?ve decided to move the game?s release to February 26, 2013.

What does this mean for you? It means a bit more waiting, but more importantly, it means an even betterBioShock Infinite.The great can be made greater, and we owe it to both ourselves and to you, our fans, to take this opportunity.

We are also going to hold off on showingBioShock Infiniteat the big events of the summer, like E3 and Gamescom. That way, the next time you see our game, it will be essentially the product we intend to put in the box. Preparing for these events takes time away from development, time we?re going to use instead to get the best version ofInfiniteinto your hands in February.Ken Levine

I wonder if this is the real deal, or this is due to scheduling conflicts. BioShock Infinite would have Assassin's Creed III, Resident Evil 6, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, and a slew of other titles to compete with in the winter. A February 2013 release date might benefit the game more so it gains the maximum amount of revenue without much competition.

You can read the full message from Ken Levine here.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Expected. They had to release it in August or September, and once they missed that date it's suicide going up against CoD, Halo,MoH and AC3.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Yeah this holiday season is goin got be a murders row for any game that has hit the mainstream.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44606 Posts
Hard to say what is the real reason for the delay but it doesn't bother me at all since there is so many excellent games coming out I can easily wait a few more months for this one.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Ohh too bad.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Uhh id trade all the other blockbuster games coming out this fall for just Bioshock. sh!tberries that sucks.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Expected. They had to release it in August or September, and once they missed that date it's suicide going up against CoD, Halo,MoH and AC3.

S0lidSnake

Agreed. I think a game like Bioshock Infinite would have gotten lost in the shuffle between all the big games. Also, don't forget GTA V, if the rumor about the game coming out in October turns out to be true.

Besides, this is excellent news for me anyway. This gives me more than enough time to complete Bioshock 1 and 2.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

A bit disappointing, as the Bioshock series is the best FPS series this gen. Still, makes this fall all the easier on my wallet.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
And that was one of the only games I was excited about this year, and it won't even be at E3.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

oh you gotta be kidding me, i almost don't even care about this game anymore

GHO5T-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GHO5T-
Member since 2011 • 419 Posts

Also, don't forget GTA V, if the rumor about the game coming out in October turns out to be true.Metamania

I hope this delay opens up for GTA V releasing this year though. On the GTA V trailer, I remember seeing the license plate showing OCT on the car the main protagonist was driving and the police car.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm actually glad this happened. There are a lot of other games I'm interested coming out this fall, so this being pushed back clears up my calendar abit.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i wonder how many people are choosing between CoD and bioshock and how many people are choosing between CoD and whatever military shooter non-activision publishers are throwing at it. its avoiding whatever attention the other holiday blockbusters might steal, but its also losing holiday sales and post holiday giftcard sales.

hopefully it really is just meant to make the game better.

Winchester39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Winchester39
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts
Booooooooooooo. Was my most anticipated now all I have to look forward to is borderlands 2!
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts
Ah that sucks... one of the only games I was looking forward to this year. Ah well, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
thats cool, so many games coming out at the end of the year anyways.. far too many to get
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Thats fine with me. The Fall is always so swamped with games that I never have time to play them all anyway

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

There's also speculation, however unlikely it may be, that Take-Two wanted to clear the release schedule for GTA5. I find this to be pretty unlikely, but you never know.

In any case, I have alot of faith in Ken Levine and Irrational as some of the very most gifted developers around. If they need a few more months to release the game they are happy to release, then so be it.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania

There's also speculation, however unlikely it may be, that Take-Two wanted to clear the release schedule for GTA5. I find this to be pretty unlikely, but you never know.

In any case, I have alot of faith in Ken Levine and Irrational as some of the very most gifted developers around. If they need a few more months to release the game they are happy to release, then so be it.

Jbul

Don't be surprised if it happens though...

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Metamania

You think? I just don't see Rockstar releasing a game in their biggest franchise (hell, one of the biggest franchises in gaming, period) with only a few months of hype. They've showed only a very small amount of gameplay, and they love to slowly leak out details and screens/footage to build up hype. It's also the very worst time of the year to release a game, with so many rediculous big-hitters coming in that month and in the weeks surrounding it.

What harm would it cause them to release the game in Q2 of next year (let's just say May), after Bioshock: Infinite has had time to breath, and there isn't jack-sh!t to play (a notoriously slow period for gaming)? None. It'd also give them more time to polish the game.

There's just too many reasons not to rush it out the door this year, and not enough to release it in a few months, IMO.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

This is fine. Bioshock Infinite looks mind blowing. Ken Levine & the team at Irrational are genuises & can take all the time they need.

The end of the year already is swamped with massive blockbuster & some really huge sh!tty rehashes ( Black Ops 2 ). Last year Mass Effect 3 was delayed & it didnt matter because there were already 20 other huge games coming out in the holiday season.

BTW i dont understand where people have this GTA 5 release date from but if i know anything i can tell GTA 5 is not coming out this year. You guys might as well stop speculating on a release date.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metamania

This is fine. Bioshock Infinite looks mind blowing. Ken Levine & the team at Irrational are genuises & can take all the time they need.

The end of the year already is swamped with massive blockbuster & some really huge sh!tty rehashes ( Black Ops 2 ). Last year Mass Effect 3 was delayed & it didnt matter because there were already 20 other huge games coming out in the holiday season.

BTW i dont understand where people have this GTA 5 release date from but if i know anything i can tell GTA 5 is not coming out this year. You guys might as well stop speculating on a release date.

brucecambell

Like I told JBul, don't be surprised if GTA V is being announced at E3 for an October release. This isn't just an issue of "making the game better than it was before". No, they pushed it back because GTA V has been slowly, but surely coming out with more details and are more than likely picking up steam for its preparation in terms of its marketing push and eventual release, etc. Bioshock Infinite, I'm sure will be even more fantastic when it comes out, but for anyone saying this isn't about GTA V at all, that could be a mistake to make.

If I'm right, GTA V will be one of the few blockbuster games that everyone will be wanting to pick up...well, just about everybody, but still. Halo 4, Call Of Duty BLOPS II, Assassin's Creed III, RE6, Borderlands 2, and so on...GTA V isn't about to get lost in that and everyone will sit up and take notice of the game's release.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

You think? I just don't see Rockstar releasing a game in their biggest franchise (hell, one of the biggest franchises in gaming, period) with only a few months of hype. They've showed only a very small amount of gameplay, and they love to slowly leak out details and screens/footage to build up hype. It's also the very worst time of the year to release a game, with so many rediculous big-hitters coming in that month and in the weeks surrounding it.

What harm would it cause them to release the game in Q2 of next year (let's just say May), after Bioshock: Infinite has had time to breath, and there isn't jack-sh!t to play (a notoriously slow period for gaming)? None. It'd also give them more time to polish the game.

There's just too many reasons not to rush it out the door this year, and not enough to release it in a few months, IMO.

Just so you know, I'm not saying you're being stupid with your logic, because you're not. All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if they had Bioshock Infinite pushed back just for GTA V. I mean, how long has GTA V been in development for? GTA IV was released in 2008, so you would think that five years would be more than enough time for them to polish up the game, like how Assassin's Creed III has been in development for three years after Ubisoft were finished with AC II. That's more than enough time for GTA V to be in development and they are more than likely coming up with some kind of demo or trailer to show more of the game at E3 and even announce a release date possibly, like how that one guy did when he showed off that GTA IV tattoo (stupid move by the way, unless if the tattoo was fake) on his arm.

But I do agree with you though; Rockstar should at least delay the game's release and give more time to polish it even further, just to make it better. But in the end, I don't think that's even possible.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I also wonder if this is a) to shoe in multiplayer and to b) release a Wii U skew. A Wii U version would be pretty cool.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I'm really looking forward to Infinite, but Christmas 2012 is incredibly crowded, so a delay for whatever reason is fine by me.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Bioshock Forever. When it's ready.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Just so you know, I'm not saying you're being stupid with your logic, because you're not. All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if they had Bioshock Infinite pushed back just for GTA V. I mean, how long has GTA V been in development for? GTA IV was released in 2008, so you would think that five years would be more than enough time for them to polish up the game, like how Assassin's Creed III has been in development for three years after Ubisoft were finished with AC II. That's more than enough time for GTA V to be in development and they are more than likely coming up with some kind of demo or trailer to show more of the game at E3 and even announce a release date possibly, like how that one guy did when he showed off that GTA IV tattoo (stupid move by the way, unless if the tattoo was fake) on his arm.

But I do agree with you though; Rockstar should at least delay the game's release and give more time to polish it even further, just to make it better. But in the end, I don't think that's even possible.

So let's see... if Rockstar announced the games release date @ E3, that'd give them 4 months to hype the game, at most. It's a possibility, I suppose.

If it does come out this year, I'll be very happy. Rockstar rarely disappoints.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

So let's see... if Rockstar announced the games release date @ E3, that'd give them 4 months to hype the game, at most. It's a possibility, I suppose.

Jbul

I'd love Rockstar even more if they pulled that off. Highly unlikely, but I think it would be awesome. They are quite capable of throwing down the GTA trump card and creating a massive amount of buzz within 4 months. They wouoldn't have enough time to request us to "Like" their facebook page in order to unlock a special gameplay trailer because they would be too busy having to hype it up by delivering pieces of awesomeness right off the bat.

I could dig that.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

juradai

I'd love Rockstar even more if they pulled that off. Highly unlikely, but I think it would be awesome. They are quite capable of throwing down the GTA trump card and creating a massive amount of buzz within 4 months. They wouoldn't have enough time to request us to "Like" their facebook page in order to unlock a special gameplay trailer because they would be too busy having to hype it up by delivering pieces of awesomeness right off the bat.

I could dig that.

GTA5 would jump to the top of my "most anticipated games of 2012" list immediately now that Bioshock isn't coming out.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#30 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Just to preserve the most sales for them. The game will be ready for the holidays, but why risk your launch numbers? People always over hype opening weekend numbers far too much and either pronounce an instant success with a need for a sequel, or a dud an they should rethink their future. They will get the same numbers overall but are not at risk of being 3rd or 4th peoples must buy list come nov. dec.

-

On the GTAV topic, I think they will drop this x-mas. They showed off too much in that reveal trailer for me to think otherwise. They know the machines better now and I think they have been hard at work on this since they wrapped IV. They have a history of upping their game, the leap from VC to SA was massive in terms of size. And that was done in 2 years. IV released 4 years ago. It'll break all kinds of records when/if it hits this winter. That's their plan I believe.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

I just hope they addressed some of the issues I had with GTA IV, namely the vehicle handling, some of the pointless distractions (like taking whoever out on a date), the story and the characters. Truth be told, I like some of it, but something about the story was a bit...unnvering, maybe a bit too serious for my taste. I hope they relax that for a little bit and put in some comedy for good measure.