Biggest Dissapointments of 2010

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Darksiders666
Member since 2011 • 272 Posts
Mine are: Alan Wake - Looked like an amazing game but dissapointed me so much. There was only three types of enimies in the game, the ending was terrible and the gameplay got boring way too fast. Alpha Protocol - The idea of the game was great put was executed so poorly, one of the worst games I played this year. Fable 3 - This game had so much potential. Weapon morphing, co-op, better interface. I thought they had fixed all the problems from Fable 2 but they just made them worse. Lionhead really need to sort out this series it's going downhill fast. I would love to hear your opinions on the subject.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Medal of Honor. This came out in the same year as Halo Reach, Bad Company 2, and Call of Duty Black Ops. 5 hour story, 8 multiplayer maps and 3 player classes. What a joke! Not to mention the glitches.

LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts
Everything TC said except Alan Wake. Also, Dead Rising 2. The co-op was the main reason I bought it, and it was awful.
DonutNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DonutNerd
Member since 2011 • 173 Posts

I disagree, I thought Alan Wake was a great game. The most underrated game of 2010 in my opinion. Anyway as far as disappointments go I will have to say Medal of Honor and Fable 3. MoH had a short and very easy single player and the multiplayer wasn't up to much either. Been there done that. Fable 3 was okay but I was expecting more. The story was weak, engaging quests were few and far between and the multiplayer/co-op was poor.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Not super disappointing but a disappointment nonetheless for me was Mafia II. 2K Czech nailed the atmosphere (the cars, the clothes, the radio stations, the whole city) and the gun play was much better than Mafia's IMO. But where 2K Czech disappointed me greatly was in the length of each chapter and the game as a whole. Mafia II had 15 missions to Mafia's 20. The ending was also a huge WTF compared to the "nobody wins" ending for Mafia. It is as if the developers ran out of time or out of ideas for the storyline.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#6 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Heavy Rain: One of the most poorly written stories of all time (for a big budget game that took years over the usual two that games take for development and when you consider the story is all the game has), and pretty offensive to women, cops, the FBI, kids, parents, and even serial killers. My only hope is that the game is used as a guideline by good writers on exactly what not to do in a story. The entire draw of the game of your choices effecting the plot is also a lie so that certainly didn't help.

Mafia 2: Too much driving to Joe's, and driving back from Joe's. I liked it but it could have been better.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

gt5 is one, cant really think of much else

alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

Civilization V. I know it got rave reviews, but most of the Civ community agrees that it's actually not very good. All of its features look good on paper, but after playing through a few times, you realize that they weren't very well thought out after all.

Krystyan68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Krystyan68
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

GT5 by a long shot, not a bad game but definitely not 'top-of-genre'.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Loved alan wake and loved alpha protocol..It was buggy alpha but a fun game all around..The stupid mini game couldve been taking out thats the only ting that was annoying in it really..

Civ five is really dissapointing..Maybe i played it for a few days thats it..Shame i reverted back to playing civ 4..

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Aliens vs. Predator - I don't think it was that bad but after the amazing AvP2 it was a massive disappointment. It gets too much hate but it really didn't deliver what the old ones did so long ago so I understand that hate.

Alan Wake - After hearing everyone praising the game and knowing Remedy's pedigree I just thought it would be more. Not at all a bad game, but surely a disappointing one.

Halo Reach - I loved the multiplayer but the campaign was completely forgettable and half assed. It disappointed me that they changed so much to the core story. It also just didn't have the staying power of Halo 3, which I played with my friends for years. Couldn't tell you why, but we're already bored with it and moved on to different things.

God of War 3 - I really enjoyed the game, beat it a few times actually, but I let my own hype get the best of me on this one. It was great, it just wasn't God of War 2 great. It felt all over the place story wise (the Athena addition was stupid) and was graphically bi-polar. Kratos might be the best character model ever, while Zeus had a clay beard.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - If it was the first Sonic game I ever played maybe I would have liked it, but it was just lacking everything that should have been there. It was basically Sonic and Eggman with no sort of reasoning and it was missing that fun factor. If it was a direct sequel to Sonic and Knuckles then why not add those characters? Like Tails or Knuckles or how about a bad ass race with Metal Sonic? Stages were mostly repeats of older Sonic games and for $15 it simply wasn't worth it. Probably my biggest disappointment of the year.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2. I was expecting a major improvement, not a huge step backward. And if I played it last year, Epic Mickey. Too many technical problems got in the way.
Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Pretty much terrible. If I wanted to play a Burnout game, I'd buy one.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JustPlainLucas

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Pretty much terrible. If I wanted to play a Burnout game, I'd buy one.

callsignneptune
Wow, really? I'm guessing you hate Criterion. I know their influence can be seen in the game, but it still felt more like the older Need for Speed games for me.
Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2. I was expecting a major improvement, not a huge step backward...JustPlainLucas

I agree. I was so looking forward and it just wasn't up to par. :?

VAAC84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VAAC84
Member since 2009 • 54 Posts

I liked God of War 3 and Alien Vs. Predator. The only game I can think of that was disappointing was Fable 3, and I never even played it lol. Just from what I've heard from those who have played it, and especially all the points Angry Joe gave in his video review. I liked the first, short but fun. This one looks... awful.

BiometricSafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BiometricSafe
Member since 2011 • 67 Posts
I was disappointed in Black Ops. Not that it's a bad game, i think it is a good game. But i found myself going back to MW2 after several weeks just because it's still better. The control and play feel of MW2 is better IMO.
Kitsune_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kitsune_Fox
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
Black Ops. Franchise looks milked
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

Fable 3
Halo Reach

just so dissappointed with them

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Moh, seriously if you gonna rip cod modern warfare instead of making a moh game, then atleast be half decent at it, dont make a pointless and even shorter deathborring campaign with more linear gameplay and ancient generic mp infested with campers with overpowered sniper rifles. Alpha protocol. Control sucked, graphics, suck, the game was a mess and on the top of that, the story and the situations and characters were stupid. Not your usual spy story but so damn dissapointing in those things. Dead rising 2, never played the first, but if its like the second, with last gen gameplay and controls, no sprit, time limit between the missions and so many zombies, id rather skip. Thats the perfect way to wreck a sandbox game. You might as well add Alan wake, it suposed to be a pc game with dx10 and big open enviroments and it ended up a very short and linear x360 exlusive, with very simplistic and borring gameplay and the story kinda looses the point after 2-3 chapters, they were just trying to extend the gameplay.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="dakan45"] Dead rising 2, never played the first, but if its like the second, with last gen gameplay and controls, no sprit, time limit between the missions and so many zombies, id rather skip. Thats the perfect way to wreck a sandbox game.

Well, the countless zombies is actually a selling point of the franchise. When Capcom ported the first game to the Wii and reduced the number of zombies in it, it got lambasted. And actually, the time limit is a very important feature of the game. It's meant to put pressure on the gamer, keep him moving and instill a level of threat and fear. Most missions are also optional, so if you're not going to be able to save a survivor, just leave him and try again on a second playthrough. Very few people manage to do everything in their first run, and since you keep your stats and moves for a new game plus, it becomes much easier the second time around. Lastly, you should have played the first game first, because the sequel had a lot of new gameplay improvements that made the game more fun.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II.

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
Either Final Fantasy 13 or Final Fantasy 14.