big fan of survival horror games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horrorfanjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 horrorfanjapan
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hi I'm new to this board. Let me begin by saying that I am a huge survival horror game fan. I have played heaps of these games. these are the survival horror games I have played: resident evil 2, 3, 4, 5 bioshock 1 & 2 alice madness Forbidden Siern 1 & 2 (these are so freaky scary!! nothing beats Japanese horror) and some more which i forgot the titles.... I am getting the Silent Hill HD collection on xbox 360 which has the 2nd and 3nd game in the series. I have never played the Silent Hill games before but it seems very similar to the RE series style, what i have read, heard, seen pics of silent hill it looks more psychology horror feel and much darker, scarier. I would like to play the 2nd and 3rd games as i heard they were the best in the series and it's in the classic game style like the old RE games of 2 & 3 nemesis. has anyone played FEAR series like 1,2. I have heard it's a good horror game series. I am thinking of getting Fear 1 and 2 to add to my collection, is it worth playing? is the story good? and what about the fear factor and surroundings? by the way what r peoples favorite survival horror games?
Mike-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Mike-uk
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

I think you should try Dead Space. Just imagine a futuristic space sci-fi version Resident Evil 4 and thats what Dead Space pretty much is.

horrorfanjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horrorfanjapan
Hi mike-uk yes I have played Dead Space (forgot to put that on the list) great great game, it was scary, i haven't played the 2nd game yet. I am thinking of getting all 3 of the F.E.A.R games now they look really good and i read it's in the Japanese horror gameplay style and audio which sounds awesome!!! I am thinking of getting the FEAR games before i get the Silent Hill HD collection on xbox 360. I have played both Bioshock games and thought they were so good i love the storyline, horror themes and the little sisters in the games, and thinking that the FEAR games are like in the same line as the bioshock games, so i will add the fear games to my collection. Has anyone play the FEAR games and any comments, advice from anyone who has played them? Which is the best FEAR game? and I read that FEAR the first game has the best storyline, is that true?
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

F.E.A.R. I & II are both great FPS horror, owned / played both. As far as the Silent Hill games, you would do better buying the original versions for PS2, as the SHHD collection has more than a few glitches and issues not found in the original pressings of the game (the PS2 versions don't glitch or hiccup, but the HD collections do, fog vanishes, creatures clip walls or go right through them, sounds and voices have been changed with no option for the original sound work... They're sort of a mess.

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do2nP22QQ28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ydz0do-L80&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JlKS706Gg&feature=related

There are dozens of these sorts of reports on YouTube for your perusal. I (luckily) kept all my originals... This set is a travesty.

Just food for thought.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

if you are able to find Haunting Ground that is an excellent game and one of the few that really is 'survival' horror where you must hide, evade and avoid rather than shoot or fight your way past the enemy.

it does give you a greater feeling of accomplishment when you finally do win though.

i also recommend Kuon and both of the Siren games

-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

Have you played Eternal Darkness for the Game Cube? Its more of a psychological than a survival horror but you should definitely try it.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iowastate

I would love to try it however I don't have a Gamecube.

they are inexpensive enough now so I might get one one of these days just for a couple of the great games that are cube exclusives

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I would love to try it however I don't have a Gamecube.

they are inexpensive enough now so I might get one one of these days just for a couple of the great games that are cube exclusives

iowastate

Oh, DUDE.

Iowa, you have GOT to play "Eternal Darkness". It is a MUST. Seriously, my favorite horror game bar-none. I cannot stress how important it is to play if you dig horror games!!!

Plus then you could pick up "REmake" & "RE: Zero"!!!

:D

The NGC has so many unique, amazing games. Those consoles are like, $20us now... Spend the money, you will NOT regret it!

--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 --T-Virus--
Member since 2005 • 1556 Posts

Yeah i agree that GCs are cheap but don't forget games. Still want to get MGS - Twin Snakes and Zelda - Wind Waker and they are pretty hard to find. :) Even though Eternal Darkness is rather cheap game...

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iowastate

when the weather cools down in a couple weeks I'll hit either Gamestop or Gametrader, I'm near both and also a place called Dimple's Records who have moved on to DvD's and CDs. I get some anime DvDs there and they carry used games for every system from every generation so that might be the first place I try.

--T-Virus--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 --T-Virus--
Member since 2005 • 1556 Posts

when the weather cools down in a couple weeks I'll hit either Gamestop or Gametrader, I'm near both and also a place called Dimple's Records who have moved on to DvD's and CDs. I get some anime DvDs there and they carry used games for every system from every generation so that might be the first place I try.

iowastate
You can check eBay for Eternal Darkness. I don't know what's the situation in the USA (I use eBay UK) but here it's pretty cheap.
-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

I think the game ranges from $20-$30 used.

RAD_RADIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 RAD_RADIO
Member since 2004 • 1361 Posts

Not to get off topic so suddenly, but does it feel like to anyone that the survival horror genre has or is going down the tubes? I only say this becuase the best survival horror games I've played recently were from an independant developer, and really was the only one I could find on the market even worth playing.

Dead Space 1 was an incredible survival horror game, but I feel like Dead space 2 went down the road of too much action adventure and in your face story telling. I think it really takes away from the isolation and tension that I think so many love about the survival horror genre, that really is what makes something "survival horror".

But hey, welcome to the forums, glad to know another Survival horror fan.

I'm inclined to agree with and emphasize the suggestion of Eternal Darkness, a truely fantastic game. Not exactly a survival horror in my examination, but still a fantastic experience.

Also, I hadn't noticed any mention of the Penumbra titles... those are hands down some of the creeiest survival horror games I've ever played. TRY THEM, TODAY. The penumbra collection last I checked was on sale for like 8 bucks on STEAM.

green_abobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 green_abobo
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts
resident evil 1,2, & 3. eternal darkness the walking dead left 4 dead(s) clive barkers undying bioshock(s) doom 3 fear(s) dead space(s) silent hill(s) condemned(s) ^ all worth a spin.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iowastate

Clive Barker's Undying i also have played on the PC and that is a real gem of creepiness that was almost forgotten and is one of the unplayed wonders of the gaming world. For some reason it did not sell very well when it came out.

Avatar image for 197786117055465408127594279999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 197786117055465408127594279999
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I can't believe none of you guys ever mentioned the FATAL FRAME SERIES!!! Part one was creepy...part two wasn't even fair if you planned on keeping some clean draws...and part 3 I couldn't even play because I was still shaken silly from the previous two...lol
Cheztaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cheztaa
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. wanting to know what the wider public's views are on survival horror games. Got a few questions, if any of you are kind enough to answer, discuss and debate that would be grand. What key elements define an amazing survival horror game? Which games great survival horrors? and what is it that provides them with this success? What not to do in a survival horror game? and any examples What is too cliche about the horror genre that you are sick of seeing/hearing/playing? What cliche's are good and always needed? Finally is there anything that you've always wanted to see/hear/play in a survival horror game that you've never come across? Thank you and honest responses are much appreciated :)
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iowastate

Fatal Frame and Kuon and Clock Tower and Siren(Forbidden Siren outsid of North America)

are all great horror games.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iowastate

a true "survival" horror will be like Fatal Frame, Clock Tower, Haunting Ground where you can't shoot your way out of danger but must evade and hide until the enemy or danger is past and then make your way to safety.

Haunting Ground is the real gem of this genre.

Cheztaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cheztaa
Thanks guys, every little helps
kingnothing47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 kingnothing47
Member since 2011 • 82 Posts

Don't know if these titles have been mentioned but Silent Hill 2 and 4, Rule of Rose, Call of Cthulhu and (this one is an oldie) Turok 2 are all great horror centric games. Silent Hill 4 may give you nightmares xD I lost sleep over it hahahaha cheers!

Oh yeah this is an edit, FEAR 1 is the best of the series! The numeric sequels (excluding the amazing Extraction Point) were a huge departure from the frenetic, tense atmosphere of the original. It is an unbelievably great game. I hated F3AR, if you want to hear about it search Zero Punctuation Fear, he sums its flaws up well. Also Fatal Frame 2 is a terrifying game, it is incredible. Echo Night Beyond! Check out that hidden gem

kingnothing47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 kingnothing47
Member since 2011 • 82 Posts

One last thing! Rule of Rose! Look it up, that game is very rare and very much unknown to the general horror public!

lildozer74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lildozer74
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
i just checked out some of these titles on youtube. most i have played, but i never heard of haunting grounds and never got to play siren. gonna be ebayin them suckers. they looked great!