Best music in a game...I say Chrono Trigger

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I've been listening to Chrono Trigger's music again. I have to say, IMO, CT had the best soundtrack in any game. The music is memorable and I still love it even to this day, especially the ending song, "To Far Away Times."

There have been many games with theme songs I can hum the tune from memory. One is Super Mario Bros. theme (of course), the Zelda theme, and Chrono Trigger. I've played almost all the JRPGs out there and there have been many good sountracks in these games, but Chrono Trigger is the only one that I can really remember. It was really that good. Maybe it's because the game was so memorable back in the day as a kid, but it really is the only RPG where I could still hum the tune.

That's why I think Chrono Trigger has the best soundtrack.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts
I really love the music in this game, and find it really soothing to listen too when wandering around the world map. It hits the right kind of intensity for the battle music as well, and I find nearly all of the songs very memorable. It's probably nostalgia on my end as it was my first RPG, but I think the people who composed the music for this game did an excellent job. It's definitely some of my favorite.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story
I forgot to mention, I never cried in a game before, but Chrono Trigger's ending and because of its ending song almost teared me up. It was moving for sure.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Chrono Cross here. Mitsuda is a genius, both Chrono trigger and Cross have amazing music but I liked Cross's more. Nobou Uematsu is another genius. Pretty much every FF game has amazing music.
Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts
Crisis Core: FFVII and The Legend of Dragoon both have an amazing soundtrack.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Final Fantasy VI and Fire Emblem 4, of course.
CanadianEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 CanadianEh
Member since 2002 • 7173 Posts

Final Fantasy VI also had a great score. How about that opera scene?

But Chrono Trigger is a damn good bet. My favorites are Frog's Theme, Kingdom of Zeal, and the Ocean Palace.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
The main theme of CT still gives me goose bumps when I hear it. The game is the very definition of a truly timeless classic.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Even though it's done to death :P

Best music in a game for me is Shadow of the Colossus'. No music matches a game's setting and atmosphere more than this game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for variety and Shadow of the Colossus for integration and solid addition to the atmosphere.
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

yup, magus' theme is one of my favorite video game songs ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfCV1bVOiGc&feature=related

MadMac132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MadMac132
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
medal of honour series has always had some of the best game music out there. halo is good too
Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

Vice City but they used other peoples music

So probably Shenmue :D

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is good, very good even, but I think it's a bit over-loved/over-played in circles. I have several RPGs where I can remember notable tunes from the scores. Heck, I can do that with Lost Odyssey, which has a fantastic battle theme music (though the victory fanfare is dreadful), so I can find a lot of soundtracks easily catchy. I try to find other elements where I can view a soundtrack as great, such as arrangement/orchestration, thematic/motivic development, interactivity, and so forth and so forth... As I've said in the past, I think Saga Frontier II and Unlimited Saga are fantastic soundtracks, both from a compositional standpoint, and a technical one.
Peltz999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Peltz999
Member since 2003 • 153 Posts

I wouldnt call it best but its good. Divine Divinity.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyKomkCwHs&feature=related 

guitarhero323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 guitarhero323
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

final fantasy 10s theme the best here is a link to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TntdZOQRR8

MuereLoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MuereLoco
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts
Banjo-Kazooie... Grant Kirkhope ftw...
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Really? Chrono Trigger? I don't know what it was exactly, but something about the soundtrack just struck me as grating. The overworld theme, going to the past, future, etc. The battle theme was pretty cool though (of course I say that more b/c it features real-time battling, one of the greatest features of chrono trigger.)

But I never finished the game or even got far (only to the end of time place, so really I barely started in terms of playing the game itself) so naturally I'm giving the DS port a shot. I urge everyone to do the same, we need to unite over the false hope that SE might work on a sequel and continue the franchise once more. 

For me, I'd have to say it was Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I mean, wow. Truly beautiful indeed. That game's soundtrack alone mesmerized me and thrust me into a beautiful world, and 10 years after it had come out, I still loved it as though I was one of the lucky ones that played it when it first came out. To this day Saria's song (the forest theme) remains to be my most hummed tune in history. I just can't get enough of it.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

But I never finished the game or even got far (only to the end of time place, so really I barely started in terms of playing the game itself) so naturally I'm giving the DS port a shot. I urge everyone to do the same, we need to unite over the false hope that SE might work on a sequel and continue the franchise once more.

thattotally
Eh, even given the source material's quality, I'll never fork over the money for Chrono Trigger DS, given how much they're charging for it. They should've just made a direct release of the thing to VC, like they did Secret of Mana, instead of charging people 40 bucks to get their hands on it. As for OoT, that is another very good soundtrack, and probably one of Koji Kondo's strongest overall soundtracks, though it's not in my upper realm of favorite soundtracks overall.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts
[QUOTE="thattotally"]

Skylock00

Eh, even given the source material's quality, I'll never fork over the money for Chrono Trigger DS, given how much they're charging for it. They should've just made a direct release of the thing to VC, like they did Secret of Mana, instead of charging people 40 bucks to get their hands on it.

As for OoT, that is another very good soundtrack, and probably one of Koji Kondo's strongest overall soundtracks, though it's not in my upper realm of favorite soundtracks overall.

hmm... well, if I was honest with myself, I'd say that I really don't know what to feel about the whole situation. There are those who feel cheated out of a full blown 3d remake in favor of a simple 2d port, which marks SE with the laziness demerit. Then there are the purists who prefer Chrono Trigger just the way it is, and don't want anything changed about it. 

Then there are others who feel annoyed that CT wasn't put on the VC like Secret of Mana, and instead was, not only ported to DS, but given the highest retail prices for NDS games, $40 (also known as SE's standard pricing). Me personally? I indeed hate that SE are robbing its fans dry, since their fans are the only ones that are willing to be pushed around into buying stuff at such high prices, while others don't care about SE's products. So in effect it's only the fans that suffer. I also hate SE console-wise with the decisions they've made this gen, they really have gotten my blood boiling with some of their hypocrisy that seems nothing short of insulting to gamers.

On the other hand, I love portable gaming, I've been gaming that way for 10 years. Console gaming never worked well with me due to personal reasons that I feel too embarrassed/ashamed to say. So having CT on the DS is just perfect for me, even without the additions (that seem superficial at best) thrown in.

I won't lie though, seeing GameSpot's 8.5 certainly turned me off, I mean that's pretty much a flop. With the "legendary" status that this game has been getting, hearing it announced for the DS, hearing SE finally acknowledging the game, makes me think that maybe Square are finally getting poor and need to revive and milk off as much franchises as possible to increase revenue from stale sales elsewhere. And so I thought that this game would AT LEAST get a 9.5, if not become the DS's first 10. Alas, I expected too much from SE. They just need as much money as possible, and don't have time to perfect their ports or whatever.

But never mind all that, as long as there are no "dreadful load times" that the PS1 port had been plagued with, I'm good  :)  . There's no denying I need another game that's good enough to make me forget about the awsomeness of The World Ends With You.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
I'm a big fan of quite a lot of gaming music, Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind at the moment.
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
I like Final Fantasy 10 music, I listen to other great music from the FF series like FF VII & Crisis Core.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Riveria: The Promised Land ranks up pretty high for me. Its catchy up beat music, but it feels rather intricite for being a GBA game.

I do love the Valkyrie Profile soundtrack. Probably Motoi Sakuraba best work. Eitehr that or Star Ocean The Second Story.

KiIIgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KiIIgore
Member since 2008 • 193 Posts
The World Ends With You had some awesome music that fit with it's world SO well. I personally loved the J-Pop and Techno songs--very memorable for me. :D
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts
God of War 1 and 2 and Shadow of the Colossus had amazing soundtracks.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts

I had a listen to what that Chrono Trigger stuff sounds like. It's probably good for back then in it's 16 bit era yeah. I think you had to of played the game in it's prime to appreciate it. A bit like the one i'm going to vote for:

I think the best music played in a Video game was the ending battle in the multi tier boss fight vs Ultimecia in Final Fantasy 8 for the Playstaion. They call the piece "The Extreme" and it really is quite an extreme battle tune. It starts off slow and quiet as that's the part of the game where the creature (whatever the hell it is) makes it's apperance and starts talking to the heroes. Then at 1:40 on the link is when you realize this is the true boss fight and it's not here to congtratulate you. It's not something you listen to in your car, but when I think it really captured the spirit of a desperate finale against an over the top enemy.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
my fav soundtrack ever is from a PC game called outcast. its still on dinternet for download (legally) last time i checked. simply amazing. anything from jeremy soule also tends to be excellent (total anhilation, morrowind, icewind dale, guild wars series to name a few).
PS2_PC_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PS2_PC_FAN
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts

Megaman 2

GTA IV

Street Fighter 2

Doom E1M1

Mario games

Sonic Adventure

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
MGS3 was the best by far.
Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

I'm really annoyed that no one gave Xenogears a shoutout. I'm not going to even post youtube links. You guys better find them yourselves and then get back to me.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, I'm a big fan of video game music (if you couldn't tell :P), and yes, Chrono trigger does have great music, particularily Magus's battle theme and "World Revolution" (1st part of the battle inside Lavos).

My favorite soundtrack is probably from the first Megaman X's. Seriously, every stages music rocked!

blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#32 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
lumines for psp! ^.^
pmcdsecamj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pmcdsecamj
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Best music in a game.. I'm gonna have say its a tie between the rock band and guitar hero series.
SovietMudkipz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SovietMudkipz
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts
Nothing comes close to Banjo-Kazooie, although Metroid Prime has beautiful, ambient music.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Chrono Trigger? I'd give Chrono Cross the upper hand. I don't have a true favorite though. I find myself listening to music from Master of Monsters quite a bit and some old classics like Aztec Challenge and The Last V8.
CrzYKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CrzYKD
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Halo 3 Soundtrack

Half life 2 Ep 2  Soundtrack

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

That's a tough one, but I'd probably have to go with Bionic Commando Rearmed. It's such a good soundtrack, I bought it online and have been listening to it on the train to work. There are some great tunes in there.

I honestly can't remember any of the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, I'll have to give it a listen or just play the game again.. it's been about 10 years or more.. however long ago that game was released :)

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ASK_Story

Anyone interested in reading a new interview with the master himself? This is a 1up interview with Yasunori Mitsuda on the release of Chrono Trigger.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3162780

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
My faves are probably Final Fantasy VI, the God of War games, and Mega Man 2. Also I think the music in World of Warcraft is very very underrated (game music doesn't get much better than this, even though I'm not sure if this is in the game itself). There's a long list of music I like -- pretty much all of the Uematsu Final Fantasy soundtracks, Symphony of the Night, Zelda OoT, Kingdom Hearts, some of Persona 3, Civ IV's theme song, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Gitaroo-Man, Quake, I could go on.
Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts
You shouldn't be having this discussion without mentioning the Silent Hll series.
fiendaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fiendaholic
Member since 2008 • 258 Posts
dynasty warriors 6 has like heavy metal through out the battle! its sick!
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TristanShand

You shouldn't be having this discussion without mentioning the Silent Hll series.Magnol49

Oh yes respect where respect due. Room of Angel is the most sinister and haunting piece of music i've ever heard in and outside of a game. And just listen to those lyrics, who ever wrote that needs to be chained up and they'll probably like it.

Edit: Another one of Silent Hills and my favorite. They call "it Save Before You Quit". Such ambiance coming from my favorite Silent Hill Game of them all. I find this one sad because it plays at the very end, the last pciture you see in the game. I was so into it I felt it was ashame it was all over.

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TristanShand

Another one just sprung to mind. Brilliant boss battle theme that plays during the fight with Badgirl in No More Heroes. It's a very notorious battle for people who've played the game both for the boss and the alternative electronica, punk tune that plays while your engaged.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#44 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both have excellent music, although I find that Chrono Trigger's is far more memorable.

In the same vein, I find that many of the songs from the original Command & Conquer are quite memorable. 'Good' is another question, of course.

I also think that the 16-bit Donkey Kong Country games all had excellent music.

Same with Super Mario RPG. Actually, I might put that above Chrono Trigger, if just barely.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Another one just sprung to mind. Brilliant boss battle theme that plays during the fight with Badgirl in No More Heroes. It's a very notorious battle for people who've played the game both for the boss and the alternative electronica, punk tune that plays while your engaged.

TristanShand

I most definetely agree with this. She's mostly notorious for a certain trick of hers, as well. :x

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Anybody ever notice that Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger is extremely similar to "Never going to give you up"!? Im not even kidding either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWf_T0jdgQ 0_o
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

I've been listening to Chrono Trigger's music again. I have to say, IMO, CT had the best soundtrack in any game. The music is memorable and I still love it even to this day, especially the ending song, "To Far Away Times."

There have been many games with theme songs I can hum the tune from memory. One is Super Mario Bros. theme (of course), the Zelda theme, and Chrono Trigger. I've played almost all the JRPGs out there and there have been many good sountracks in these games, but Chrono Trigger is the only one that I can really remember. It was really that good. Maybe it's because the game was so memorable back in the day as a kid, but it really is the only RPG where I could still hum the tune.

That's why I think Chrono Trigger has the best soundtrack.

Hard to say Chrono is up there, but its not the best imo..., hard for me to pick one.....so I won't lol....I found myself digging the music in Galaxy last year though...
Code_Geass_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Code_Geass_CC
Member since 2008 • 2703 Posts
I'd say Legend of Zelda has the best music in gaming :P
IronShiggity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 IronShiggity
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts
I'm replaying Megaman Zero 2 right now. The intro level music is BOSS!
system3142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 system3142
Member since 2006 • 304 Posts

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal

Final Fantasy IX

The MGS Main Themes

Time Scar (Can anyone tell me what game that track was from?!)