Atlus now up for auction, 20 companies already making bids

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Source

Looks like things are starting to get heated on the war for the acquisition of Atlus. According to a report by Bloomberg Japan about twenty companies including Sega Sammy Holdings made a bid on the studio behind Persona and Catherine.

Executives familiar with the situation reported that some of the bids reached about 20 billion yen (a little south of 201 million dollars) in the primary auction held earlier this week, and that Atlus mother company Index Corporation will choose the candidates before or as early as next week and determine a final buyer by the end of the month. Notably, 20 billion yen are way superior to the initial estimated revenue of 15 billion yen.

In July Index hired the GCA Savvian consulting firm to serve as advisors during the transfer of business ownership. Kazumasa Otsuka-san of the Nijubashi law firm declined to comment or to share details about the actual procedure implemented for the auction. A representative of Sega Sammy Holdings did not offer any comment as well.

Atlus is on sale because Index Corporation filed for Civil Rehabilitation (the Japanese equivalent of a soft Bankruptcy) after finding itself in debt by 24.5 billion yen (almost 246 million dollars). In the meanwhile the studio reassured customers that business will continue as usual and future releases wont be affected.

There is still no word on the possible results of the auction, so all we can do for now is wait and see, while hoping that Atlus will be acquired by a  third party that will guarantee its quality, creativity and independence.

We have reached out to both Atlus and Sega requesting a comment, and well keep you updated if we receive anything relevant.

So the bidding has finally begun. Sega's the only company identified as a bidder currently, but it wouldn't surprise me to see all of the big Japanese companies throwing their money down for them.

The big question is which company do we want to see them go to? Personally, Sega seems like one of the better choices, especially in comparison to Square-Enix or Capcom. Hopefully Sony doesn't get them either, as that would force all their games on one system as well as kill off SMT x FE. Nintendo wouldn't bother me as much, but I doubt they'll actually go for it. Who knows, maybe they'll end up going to some company nobody could have predicted, like Microsoft... er, let's hope not. :P

Thoughts? Comments? Meltdowns/predictions that'll make for hilarious readings about a year from now?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

The poll is glitched like everything else on this website.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Anyone who isn't on my list of evil publishers: Electronic Arts Sony Computer Entertainment Microsoft Activision-Blizzard Ubisoft Warner Bros Interactive Zenimax Take Two Interactive Capcom Also worried that Square or Konami would squander them like they've done with Taito and Hudson respectively.
svm128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 svm128
Member since 2007 • 376 Posts

Nintendo or Sega will be good

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Sony, Gung Ho, Marvelous AQL, Namco would be my top candidates.

Nintendo would suck, but they wouldnt make shovelware IOS/Tablet Persona/SMT games.

Square Enix, Sega, Konami, Capcom would either make shovelware Smartphone/tablet games with Atlus IPs or fail to localize them, or both.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

sony

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Somebody who will leave them the hell alone and just let them do what they've been doing, including letting them use Atlus USA for localization.

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

Sony pls.

EDIT: Sega wouldn't be so bad either I guess.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Source

Looks like things are starting to get heated on the war for the acquisition of Atlus. According to a report by Bloomberg Japan about twenty companies including Sega Sammy Holdings made a bid on the studio behind Persona and Catherine.

Executives familiar with the situation reported that some of the bids reached about 20 billion yen (a little south of 201 million dollars) in the primary auction held earlier this week, and that Atlus mother company Index Corporation will choose the candidates before or as early as next week and determine a final buyer by the end of the month. Notably, 20 billion yen are way superior to the initial estimated revenue of 15 billion yen.

In July Index hired the GCA Savvian consulting firm to serve as advisors during the transfer of business ownership. Kazumasa Otsuka-san of the Nijubashi law firm declined to comment or to share details about the actual procedure implemented for the auction. A representative of Sega Sammy Holdings did not offer any comment as well.

Atlus is on sale because Index Corporation filed for Civil Rehabilitation (the Japanese equivalent of a soft Bankruptcy) after finding itself in debt by 24.5 billion yen (almost 246 million dollars). In the meanwhile the studio reassured customers that business will continue as usual and future releases wont be affected.

There is still no word on the possible results of the auction, so all we can do for now is wait and see, while hoping that Atlus will be acquired by a  third party that will guarantee its quality, creativity and independence.

We have reached out to both Atlus and Sega requesting a comment, and well keep you updated if we receive anything relevant.1PMrFister

So the bidding has finally begun. Sega's the only company identified as a bidder currently, but it wouldn't surprise me to see all of the big Japanese companies throwing their money down for them.

The big question is which company do we want to see them go to? Personally, Sega seems like one of the better choices, especially in comparison to Square-Enix or Capcom. Hopefully Sony doesn't get them either, as that would force all their games on one system as well as kill off SMT x FE. Nintendo wouldn't bother me as much, but I doubt they'll actually go for it. Who knows, maybe they'll end up going to some company nobody could have predicted, like Microsoft... er, let's hope not. :P

Thoughts? Comments? Meltdowns/predictions that'll make for hilarious readings about a year from now?

Who? and why should one even care about them? Never have and probably never will play their games.

EDIT: Ohhhh they are the company behind R.I.P.D a game so bad that i acutally for the first time ever had to write to Steam to demand my money back. So no wonder they are going bankrupt. And what a suprise there are actually buyers for that shitty company.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 1PMrFister
Who? and why should one even care about them? Never have and probably never will play their games.

EDIT: Ohhhh they are the company behind R.I.P.D a game so bad that i acutally for the first time ever had to write to Steam to demand my money back. So no wonder they are going bankrupt. And what a suprise there are actually buyers for that shitty company.Jacanuk

Might wanna do some more research before you mouth off like this. Atlus is the developer of the Shin Megami Tensei series and publisher of the Disgaea series, both of which do well critically and commercially. They're also responsible for several other noteworthy games released this generation such as the Trauma Center series, Catherine, and Demon's Souls (developed by From Software, but still published by them). Also, their parent company is the one that's going bankrupt and auctioning them off. Atlus itself is a profitable company, which is why so many other companies probably want them so bad.

Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]Who? and why should one even care about them? Never have and probably never will play their games.

EDIT: Ohhhh they are the company behind R.I.P.D a game so bad that i acutally for the first time ever had to write to Steam to demand my money back. So no wonder they are going bankrupt. And what a suprise there are actually buyers for that shitty company.1PMrFister

Might wanna do some more research before you mouth off like this. Atlus is the developer of the Shin Megami Tensei series and publisher of the Disgaea series, both of which do well critically and commercially. They're also responsible for several other noteworthy games released this generation such as the Trauma Center series, Catherine, and Demon's Souls (developed by From Software, but still published by them). Also, their parent company is the one that's going bankrupt and auctioning them off. Atlus itself is a profitable company, which is why so many other companies probably want them so bad.

He's been known to say things like that. For the best chance of retaining their characteristic style, some Japanese company should acquire them.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
We should all pool our money together and go for it guys. I got a twenty in my pocket. <3 Atlus.
rolfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rolfboy
Member since 2006 • 1137 Posts

Nintendo would suck, but they wouldnt make shovelware IOS/Tablet Persona/SMT games.

Square Enix, Sega, Konami, Capcom would either make shovelware Smartphone/tablet games with Atlus IPs or fail to localize them, or both.

crimsonman1245

The Tales series would like a word with you.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#14 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Somebody who will leave them the hell alone and just let them do what they've been doing, including letting them use Atlus USA for localization.

syztem

A freaking men to that. I really really hope whoever buys them won't end up changing their games for the worst.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#15 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

We should all pool our money together and go for it guys. I got a twenty in my pocket. <3 Atlus.GodModeEnabled

I like this idea.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll be happy if Sega or Sony buys them.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]We should all pool our money together and go for it guys. I got a twenty in my pocket. <3 Atlus.

anyone have change for a piece of eight?
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
Sega would probably be the best fit for them.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]Who? and why should one even care about them? Never have and probably never will play their games.

EDIT: Ohhhh they are the company behind R.I.P.D a game so bad that i acutally for the first time ever had to write to Steam to demand my money back. So no wonder they are going bankrupt. And what a suprise there are actually buyers for that shitty company.1PMrFister

And yet they still came out with a game like R.I.P.D But anyways again who gives a flying Samurai about who buys them, when they release a game like R.I.P.D they need some better management. That game is almost as bad as ET was.
GT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GT90
Member since 2002 • 6256 Posts

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"]Who? and why should one even care about them? Never have and probably never will play their games.

EDIT: Ohhhh they are the company behind R.I.P.D a game so bad that i acutally for the first time ever had to write to Steam to demand my money back. So no wonder they are going bankrupt. And what a suprise there are actually buyers for that shitty company.Jacanuk

And yet they still came out with a game like R.I.P.D But anyways again who gives a flying Samurai about who buys them, when they release a game like R.I.P.D they need some better management. That game is almost as bad as ET was.

They didn't come out with R.I.P.D. they published the game, it was made by Old School Games. People care about them because they love the games they make, there is no denying the quality behind the series Shin Megami Tensei and Persona. Atlus has published a lot of titles, one bad game does not make them a bad company that is in need of better mangement.  

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts

I'll be happy if Sega or Sony buys them.

Ballroompirate
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="1PMrFister"] Might wanna do some more research before you mouth off like this. Atlus is the developer of the Shin Megami Tensei series and publisher of the Disgaea series, both of which do well critically and commercially. They're also responsible for several other noteworthy games released this generation such as the Trauma Center series, Catherine, and Demon's Souls (developed by From Software, but still published by them). Also, their parent company is the one that's going bankrupt and auctioning them off. Atlus itself is a profitable company, which is why so many other companies probably want them so bad.

GT90

They didn't come out with R.I.P.D. they published the game, it was made by Old School Games. People care about them because they love the games they make, there is no denying the quality behind the series Shin Megami Tensei and Persona. Atlus has published a lot of titles, one bad game does not make them a bad company that is in need of better mangement.  

Ok, lets use your argument EA only publish the games people dont like. But besides that wtf is Persona and Shin Megami Tensei? and if its because they only come out on 3ds then it explains it alot, its the only handheld i refuse to buy.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#23 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Sony probably wouldn't be bad if it had to be first party. Definitely don't want Nintendo, no idea why someone would want Square-Enix though.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 1PMrFister

Ok, lets use your argument EA only publish the games people dont like. But besides that wtf is Persona and Shin Megami Tensei? and if its because they only come out on 3ds then it explains it alot, its the only handheld i refuse to buy.Jacanuk
Show me a single major video game company who hasn't published at least one crappy game, let alone one that's been around as long as Atlus.

Also, the SMT series has been around since the SNES days, though it didn't start getting localized until around the PS2 era. Persona is a spin-off series that has made appearances on PS2, Vita, and 360. They're also planning a crossover game with Nintendo's Fire Emblem series on Wii U. Seriously man, do your homework before you mouth off. You're only embarrassing yourself.

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]We should all pool our money together and go for it guys. I got a twenty in my pocket.

<3 Atlus.Allicrombie

anyone have change for a piece of eight?

I got a couple bitcoins. Will that cover it?

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

rolfboy

The Tales series would like a word with you.

The Tales series is awesome what are you talking about??

Or are you implying that if namco buys them there may be more difficulty with getting their games localized, like the Tales series? If that is the case, I kinda agree. I'm not sure if I want Namco to buy them. I'd say Nintendo would be good one.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Sony would be the best choice.

Sony has the hardware like the ps3, ps4 and vita they have all the bases covered for atlus games, the SOE has any kind of PC related games covered as well. They can do retail or digital easily enough for any of their games. They are a japanese based comany like atlus but they also have a strong worldwide presence like atlus.

Sony also has a long history with atlus and has always been the company with the most atlus exclusives. Nintendo with the ds line of handhelds is a extremely close second but atlus and sony have always been together the most and it works quite well considering (especially lately) how open sony has been to big companies, small companies, big games, and little indie games.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

as long as its not sega, terrible track records as of late when it comes to localization. I feam atlus will start sharing the same fate if sega gets their mitts on them

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

There are better third party options than Sega.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Sony seems like the best choice.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
I wouldn't mind Sony but Sega could be a option if somehow they manage for Atlus games to be on PC as well.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
So how do we feel about Namco-Bandai taking control of them? They always seem to be left out of these discussions.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

I'd rather Sega didn't have anything to do with it, unless they get their act together and start localising their games again.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#34 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
So how do we feel about Namco-Bandai taking control of them? They always seem to be left out of these discussions.Articuno76
I'd be fine with it. They make the Tales series and published Dark Souls so they clearly have an interest in the rpg genre.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Namco-Bandai makes the most sense. Having Atlus go to a first party would be bad (nintendo, sony, ms). Sega, capcon and square dont know what they are doing anymore.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I hope nintendo picks them up they need all the support they can so i can someday justify finally buying a nintendo console again
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20982 Posts
Marvelous AQL would be by far the best home for Atlus, but if they're up against any hardware manufacturer or a big-gun third party like Sega, there's no way they win that battle. Would actually prefer Atlus to just go off on their own and not have a parent company, but I guess that isn't an option now. Best case scenario out of anyone who can actually afford them? Sony or Sega.
iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts
what would happen to muh persona?
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkCatalyst
what would happen to muh persona?iDefinition
Nothing if they get the right buyer. That's why I want to see Marvelous AQL get them. It would result in no change whatsoever to Atlus' product.
SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
I didn't think of Marvelous, but they'd make a good buyer. I don't see Sony, MS or Nintendo buying them really. Their games don't make a big enough of a splash in the console wars, eventhough they have a lot of quality franchises. I'm hoping for some investment group who'll leave Atlus be. Sega or Square wouldn't sit well with me. Capcom, I could see working out.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I would like to see Sony purchase them.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="SupremeAC"]I didn't think of Marvelous, but they'd make a good buyer. I don't see Sony, MS or Nintendo buying them really. Their games don't make a big enough of a splash in the console wars, eventhough they have a lot of quality franchises. I'm hoping for some investment group who'll leave Atlus be. Sega or Square wouldn't sit well with me. Capcom, I could see working out.

I can say straight up that Nintendo is EXTREMELY high on Atlus. Not so much for what they have done but for what Nintendo thinks they CAN do. It leaves a horrible taste in my mouth because it would very much affect the product, but I can confidently state that if Atlus gets gulped up into first-party status, it'll be with Nintendo, regardless of how much a better fit they would be with Sony.
Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

I just thought of something.

If Nintendo buys them, could that have any effect on the games they have on PSN? Do you think they would be removed from the shop or would they stay?

I was thinking Nintendo might make a good buyer imo, but it would kinda suck to have all their games removed from PSN, especially for people who bought some, and will no longer be able to redownload them.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="SupremeAC"]I didn't think of Marvelous, but they'd make a good buyer. I don't see Sony, MS or Nintendo buying them really. Their games don't make a big enough of a splash in the console wars, eventhough they have a lot of quality franchises. I'm hoping for some investment group who'll leave Atlus be. Sega or Square wouldn't sit well with me. Capcom, I could see working out.DarkCatalyst
I can say straight up that Nintendo is EXTREMELY high on Atlus. Not so much for what they have done but for what Nintendo thinks they CAN do. It leaves a horrible taste in my mouth because it would very much affect the product, but I can confidently state that if Atlus gets gulped up into first-party status, it'll be with Nintendo, regardless of how much a better fit they would be with Sony.

That would suck. I really, really like Atlus, but I could learn to live without them. Better that than pay $350 for a Wii U.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 1PMrFister

If Nintendo buys them, could that have any effect on the games they have on PSN? Do you think they would be removed from the shop or would they stay?

I was thinking Nintendo might make a good buyer imo, but it would kinda suck to have all their games removed from PSN, especially for people who bought some, and will no longer be able to redownload them.

Bongardo
If a first party does buy out Atlus, it guarantees that all their games have to be on their systems only. This would definitely lead to games getting pulled from digital stores, and probably the immediate cessation of printing physical copies as well. It would also lead to the termination of any exclusive projects they have going on like SMT x FE, for instance. This is why I'm not too keen on any first party company acquiring them.
Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

[QUOTE="Bongardo"]

1PMrFister

If a first party does buy out Atlus, it guarantees that all their games have to be on their systems only. This would definitely lead to games getting pulled from digital stores, and probably the immediate cessation of printing physical copies as well. It would also lead to the termination of any exclusive projects they have going on like SMT x FE, for instance. This is why I'm not too keen on any first party company acquiring them.

Yeah that would suck. I knew they would stop printing physical copies and FE X SMT would be cancelled if Nintendo a first party besides Nintedno doesn buy them. But untill now I never thought about the digital copies being pulled. I kinda hope a first party doesn't buy them now too. Though I am not really sure who i want to buy them. Just somebody who doesn't change what they are doing too much I guess.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i am hoping it stays third party.