Assassin's Greed: A Rant On The Current State Of Ubisoft, And The Assassin's Creed Series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

A general rule that I like to follow before posting these blog posts is, and this might not appease everybody, but to post a bit of disclaimer before I go off expressing possibly unpopular opinions, so here it is. I personally am a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise and Ubisoft as a whole, and have been for some time. Ubisoft has made some of the more unique experiences to ever grace gaming such as sands of time, AC, and Far Cry, to name a few, and I love them for this. You're entitled to enjoy the games that I criticize here just as I am entitled not to, it's a buyers market after all, and I'm not trying to personally attack anybody who plays or enjoys these games, their just my opinions. That said, let's dive in.

So, if you're a Ubisoft fan such as myself, or just a fan of games in general, you've likely heard of or experienced the notable decline in Ubisoft games over the past few years, a trend that has taken me and many others by surprise. Ubisoft, a company that was once at the forefront of gaming innovation, has recently seemed to have lagged behind in production, releasing multiple broken and sloppily produced titles over the last 3-4 years. This all started, in my opinion, with the release of AC Revelations, a game that has often been credited as the catalyst in Ubisoft's fall from grace. While many may contribute this to a yearly release issue, a problem which I somewhat agree with but will get into later, it's important to remember that 2 and brotherhood, games which I believe were of a very high quality, were all also yearly releases, being pushed out in 2009 and 2010 respectively. None the less, I still attempted to keep an open mind as to the quality of the series, being a fan of it after all, thinking to myself, "hey, it's only one game, a rough patch in an overall great series, it won't be like this forever, right?". Unfortunately for me, AC 3 only worsened my fears, launching with countless bugs, a bland protagonist, and strange and reworked gameplay. Ac Black Flag would eventually go on to suspend some of my fears, and was easily one of my favorite games of 2013, though most of my praise came for the games sailing portions rather than the the games land exploration, which I again found rather boring overall. Black Flag gave me hope for the future, but, as I would soon learn, my faith was wrongly placed. It was soon announced that not only would the AC series be sticking to their now seemingly stale yearly release schedule, but that they would now be releasing two games at once. i don't want to sound like a snobby idiot here, but my first thought in this situation was that they were doing this for profit and that neither of the games would be very enjoyable. Unfortunately for me and other fans, this prediction proved to be true, as both games were widely renowned as critical failures on release, one being a buggy and disjointed experience, and the other being a literal copy and paste of a previous game.

I was still holding on to hope for Ubisoft overall, and I would often cite the fact that Far Cry 3 was one of the best games 2012 when people would bring these types of accusations against Ubisoft. That said, while I did enjoy Far Cry 4, I can see it for what it is, again essentially a copy and paste of Far Cry 3 with shiny new textures and some minor additions like elephants and gyrocopters. So what is the issue with Ubisoft in its current state? i personally believe, and this is a theory that has been propose by others, that its decline is directly tied to its financial policy. I've said it before and i'll say it again. Games can not bring innovation and originality when your primary concern is profit. Over the years, i've seen Ubisoft shift from a developer and publisher who praised and championed the idea of quality over quantity, hosting multiple studios with each bringing unique experiences to the gaming world. While Ubisoft still does host and support many game studios, there has been a notable shift in policy over these past few years, with the publisher seeming to lean more on the side of financial quantity over the usual product quality that they are known for. games that before took multiple years to develop and held individual styles, such as the Far Cry series, are beginning to have smaller and smaller release date gaps, one need only look at the time between the releases of 2-3 and 3-4 to understand that, a release window that was cut down by half and may only be decreasing. The developer is even proved to have created separate E3 specific graphical files for their game Watchdogs simply in an attempt to awe users by its graphical prowess likely in an attempt to elicit more buys. These issues are only worsened by perhaps one of the worst parts of Ubisofts distribution policies, the infamous U Play system, The U Play system has been plagued by poor latency and bandwidth from the start of its launch, and its necessity to play Ubisoft games has often been criticized, as it typically faces errors in downloading and playing games at launch, and issue not typically found in other services like Steam. And now, with the recent announcement of AC Syndicate. I like many other fans, am wondering to myself, "Is it too late?". The state of Ubisoft, as far as i'm concerned, is pretty deplorable. Their yearly AC release schedule has seemingly backfired, despite the implementation of multiple development teams, and forced DRM and third party hosting have left many users and fans chaffed by current Ubisoft policy. As a standing fan of the series and company as a whole, I sincerely hope that they can pull themselves out of this apparent rut that they've fallen into, and they eventually may. Who know's, maybe Syndicate will be the kick in the rear that thae company needs to get back on track, or maybe it will be another disappointment in a long line of apparent failures for the company, but, as far as I can tell however, it's really not a great time to be a Ubisoft supporter

Avatar image for thetanelchannel
TheTanelChannel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheTanelChannel
Member since 2015 • 153 Posts

I made a small video from some stuff I noticed in the gameplay reveal video.. dont know what to think anymore :S :P

Loading Video...

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 waffleboy22

@thetanelchannel: I noticed a lot of those as well, and it's pre alpha, so i'm expecting some bugs, but if they know things aren't working properly then perhaps it might not be the best time to showcase those things

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#3  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

@thetanelchannel: You know for some strange reason those bugs didn't bother me so much, I think I may have lowered my standards to a ridiculous new low -_-

Anyway its a pre-alpha footage so I'm sure ubisoft will get their shit together, they received enough backlash from Unity to understand that optimization is very important, at least thats what I believe given how well AC Rouge was optimized and AC chronicles China running flawlessly.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@thetanelchannel: Nice vid. You missed one glitch at 3:09 - the enemy woman in red fighting next to the player. She's attacking another guy with a knife, pauses to sheathe the knife and then takes it back out to resume the bloodshed. :P

Avatar image for thetanelchannel
TheTanelChannel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheTanelChannel
Member since 2015 • 153 Posts
@johnd13 said:

@thetanelchannel: Nice vid. You missed one glitch at 3:09 - the enemy woman in red fighting next to the player. She's attacking another guy with a knife, pauses to sheathe the knife and then takes it back out to resume the bloodshed. :P

WTF :D how did I miss that hahahaha.

*insert ancientaliensguy* WOMEN.. scratch that.. UBISOFT.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've been a fan of the AC series since the start but I have lost my day one buy enthusiasm for the series. AC Black Flag was and will remain the last AC I buy at full price. It was a good game, but I need breaks between the games longer than 12 months. I bought Unity for $30 and enjoyed it regardless of the glitches. I'll buy Syndicate for $30 as well.

The annual release schedule is definitely the problem with the series regardless that they are in production for a couple years. The inability to delay and fix known issues is what's causing the lack of quality control. I'd also like to point out that Unity and Rogue weren't the first AC dual release games. AC2 released along side the PSP game and AC3 released along side the PSV game. At least AC2 was still good quality.

liquidsuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 liquidsuns
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

I just kinda wish they'd drop the whole Assassins stuff. I mean, Black Flag and Rogue would be way better if they focussed on the pirate gameplay. Make them their own series, the assassin/templar stuff has nothing to do with anything. Like, keep the engine and stuff and make games with some different gameplay/story focus. I get that the AC name sells games but, crap dude, that shit is old and it doesn't even make any sense anymore.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#8 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

I think we are lucky to have a yearly ass ass butsex analswag game every year. I mean, now the neck beards will shut up about linear games. However they are getting more and more rushed every year with glitches.

I personally don't think it's the best series of games at all! Why do they keep going with the same stupid design every year? The controls suck. The game literaly plays itself. The controls are easy but frutstrating. Why can't jumping take any though any more? I blame the first Prince of Persia game for this for that auto jump.

Don_Elio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Don_Elio
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I'm kinda disappointed with the direction ubisoft is going with their games especially ac. I doubt i'll get ac syndicate or any other ubi game this year, with so many amazing non-ubi games coming out in 2015-2016 ac syndicate seems like nothing important to me. (used to be a fan but i eventually lost interest in the story)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I kinda have an unconditional love for the series. There's something about stalking my prey and running away that I find thrilling, and I love gathering all the collectibles (it wasn't very enjoyable in Unity at all for some reason). I guess that explains why I complain about the series' rush to market every year, yet still end up buying each one..

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waffleboy22

@JustPlainLucas: I can sympathize with you on that, and I've also played through all of them myself regardless of their quality, but I'm giving serious consideration to the idea of not picking up Syndicate. I love AC as a series and Ubi has been generally favorable in the past, but the direction that they're currently going isn't one that I necessarily want to follow them down. Perhaps I can use a direct quote from one of their games, AC Black Flag, to sum up my feelings, "If you continue on your current course, you'll find you're the only one walking it"

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

Assassins creed is dead, rip