Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 manofsteel985
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Hello; I really need help on this!

I bought Assassin's Creed 2 on my mac for a nostalgia trip but it does not allow me to use my Xbox 360 controller to play it. I understand there isn't in built gamepad support but I have downloaded a driver, I've even tried joystick mapper and nothing works.

I've spent a long time looking online and the people who are able to do this on Mac don't go into much detail.

I'd be seriously surprised if there is no way to do this. If someone knows how to use a gamepad mapping tool could they send me a snapshot? I think it may be something to do with the Assassin's Creed 2 app not allowing any other apps to play in the background; so if there is a way around that too please let me know.

Any help would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated. Thank you!

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

There is an applicaton called JoyToKey (on windows, but I bet something similar exists for Mac), which allows you to map any keyboard or mouse input to your gamepad, including button macros.

manofsteel985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 manofsteel985

@Black_Knight_00: Hey man thanks for the recommendation but it seems the problem lies elsewhere. joystick mapper is a mac equivalent I mentioned and it doesn't work at all. I think this may be because "Assassin's Creed 2 app not allowing any other apps to play in the background". I'm going to try some other mappers though. Thanks for the reply though!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Black_Knight_00

@manofsteel985: I see. What I don't understand from your post is: are you able to use your 360 controller on your Mac with other games and are only having problems with AC2, or are you having trouble getting the controller to work altogether? Does Joystick Mapper work when used on another game?

Also, when you say that AC2 does not allow any other app in the background, do you mean it's some sort of built-in DRM?

You may want to try an alternative Mac software called Controllermate, maybe that one will work for you.

manofsteel985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 manofsteel985

@Black_Knight_00: My controller is fine and works with every other game, and yes Joystick Mapper works elsewhere. I tried controllermate but am a complete idiot and literally have no idea where to start with it. What I mean by the app thing is that it never allows me to use anything else while it's up and running, unlike Borderlands 2 for example.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@manofsteel985 said:

@Black_Knight_00: My controller is fine and works with every other game, and yes Joystick Mapper works elsewhere. I tried controllermate but am a complete idiot and literally have no idea where to start with it. What I mean by the app thing is that it never allows me to use anything else while it's up and running, unlike Borderlands 2 for example.

So if you tried to (for instance) run a recording software like Fraps, would the game just refuse to start? Or would it crash? I ask because I can't find any reference to this presumed DRM on the internet, so it actually may be something that can be worked around, which is good news, as doing so would solve your problem.

manofsteel985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 manofsteel985

So I tried controller mate (took ages) and the only thing that works is the right analogue stick; so the camera, which is usually mouse control. Basically anything "axis" works (including Right trigger) if that makes sense. I am pretty sure Fraps would work. So how would I go about solving the problem do you think?