Are You Addicted to Games?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxBenblasterxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxBenblasterxx
Member since 2013 • 98 Posts

Now I'm not saying I'm addicted myself I personally average an hours gaming a day (sometimes more and sometimes not at all). I believe this is perfectly acceptable amount of time to spend gaming. 

However after watching a Truthloader http://www.youtube.com/user/truthloader debate today on the topic of gaming addiction, I wondered if I would even know if i was addicted, what is classed as a gaming addiction is it the amount of time spent playing? Or how it affects your life beyond games. 

SO i though I'd ask the community:

Would you consider yourself addicted to games? If so why?

How did you get over said addiction? 

Are you denying an addiction? 

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

To an extent, yes.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I would imagine just about every poster here is to some extent.

xxBenblasterxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xxBenblasterxx

What would you class as to an extent? Are you racking up some crazy play time hours/ per week? 

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I am periodically. Haven't been gaming as much lately, been watching a lot of anime.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Nah, I used to be addicted hardcore for years.  Now it takes a really amazing game to really suck me in. 

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts
Yes, I'm a addict, but anything can be addicting to tell you the truth. Some people are addicted to working out, sex, stars, cars, drugs, driving, ect. A addiction only become a problem when it interfer with your social or daily life. For examples call off work because you party to hard last night, spending bunch of money on games instead of bills, loan, or other things that is more important, your willing to steal to get what you want, ect. There many way to get over a addiction. One way is to find another addiction to kill off the other.
xxBenblasterxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xxBenblasterxx

Nah, I used to be addicted hardcore for years.  Now it takes a really amazing game to really suck me in. 

nooblet69

What would you say quenched your addiction? Simply a lack of interest/time? 

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
meh, i like gaming, but i could quit completely, gone several days without it, But i like it
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't think so... I can go a few days without gaming, especially during the week. I will sometimes rack up a bunch of hours in just a few days. I guess it depends on what you consider an addiction, but I don't think I have like a problem or anything. It's just a hobby I spend a fair amount of time on.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Addiction has nothing to do with the amount of something you consume. It depends on whether or not you are negatively affected when deprived of that thing.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

No, unless it's new and I really like it, I play a game maybe once every few weeks.

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

I think I used to somewhat be addicted to games, whered thats all I wanted to do, but over the last year or so Ive cut back drastically because I have responsiblities like a job and bills now. Ill go days without gaming at times simply since I dont have time or Im just not up to it, unless I come across a game that really catches my interest.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride
Addiction has nothing to do with the amount of something you consume. It depends on whether or not you are negatively affected when deprived of that thing.Black_Knight_00
this, this has to be the best answer
meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

No not really. I can go without gaming without feeling a twitch to play, but I enjoy gaming and probably game as much as the average person watches tv. I personally get bored watching tv usually unless it's something I realy enjoy like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#16 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Not even a little.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bluedeathking
Addiction has nothing to do with the amount of something you consume. It depends on whether or not you are negatively affected when deprived of that thing.Black_Knight_00
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#18 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Nope. I don't play for an unreasonable amount of hours, nor do I let gaming impose on my real world obligations.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I don't really play games anymore 

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

I have around 5000 hours logged on gaming.  There have been times when I did 24 hours but I haven't touched a controller in a while.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
No I spend more time reading about games then actually playing them. I'm weird.
Floridaman46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Floridaman46
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

No way.. I play because gaming is fun.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Addiction has nothing to do with the amount of something you consume. It depends on whether or not you are negatively affected when deprived of that thing.bluedeathking

That further proves my point, if anything
Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts
I don't think so... I can go a few days without gaming, especially during the week. I will sometimes rack up a bunch of hours in just a few days. I guess it depends on what you consider an addiction, but I don't think I have like a problem or anything. It's just a hobby I spend a fair amount of time on.SoNin360
This is pretty much my M.O. as well :)
bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bluedeathking
[QUOTE="bluedeathking"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Addiction has nothing to do with the amount of something you consume. It depends on whether or not you are negatively affected when deprived of that thing.Black_Knight_00

Yes and no to tell you the truth. It really depends on the person really. But I think I also read somewhere that most people have a addiction to something one way or another. I think video games would fall under behavioral addiction. I usually play video games because I'm bored and that I live in a town where most people my age are not people I can currently trust (most of them are low-lifes). But I can go on for days and sometime week without playing a game though I would still consider myself a addict. though one habbit i know i need to kick is my caffeine addiction. server case i know is from one of my ex co-workers. A very strange guy in his 50 do to a very trouble past where he was truamaize by being bullieing at a young age. because of it he never grown up and has a extreme shoping addiction. He would buy useless crap or thing he doesnt need for example he barrow money from a place to get a puppy. 3 week later he end up giving the puppy away because he couldn't afford it then his next pay check he bought himself a new cell phone instead of putting gas in his truck because of it someone end up giving him money cause they felt sorry for the guy.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

But I can go on for days and sometime week without playing a game though I would still consider myself a addict. bluedeathking

If you can go for weeks without playing games and not go through any negative withdrawals, then it doesn't seem like you're an addict.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Not really. I don't feel any need to play games, I go a day or a few days without playing games. It's my main hobby next to board/card/roleplaying games so it's what I spend a lot of my money on and I've build up a large backlog of games that I still have not played, I also have a lot of friends who play games and invite me to online games, if I didn't always have something new to play or friends I would likely have little trouble not playing games. I don't have much else to do here so there isn't really any reason for me not to play but I'm ok without it. I would probably say I'm addicted to being on the computer.

If you can go for weeks without playing games and not go through any negative withdrawals, then it doesn't seem like you're an addict.

What's the theme of your PSN signature from?

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bluedeathking
Maybe I don't have a addiction to games then maybe it's just that I like games so consider myself as one for some reason IDK. Though I do through withdrawal if I don't have some form caffeine though (actually would like a suggestion here to stop that). That the only time I know that get a little crazy and urges for something, otherwise yeah I can find thing to do keep me occupy that isn't a video games.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Addiction has nothing to do with the amount of something you consume. It depends on whether or not you are negatively affected when deprived of that thing.bluedeathking

i would rather see a study rather than a random untrustworthy wikipedia entry
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I tend to buy more games than I should... I have the urge to splurge on Dot Hack Quarantine Right now, but I know I should not, and it's taking a lot of self-constraint to not do it.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I tend to buy more games than I should... I have the urge to splurge on Dot Hack Quarantine Right now, but I know I should not, and it's taking a lot of self-constraint to not do it.Minishdriveby
That's the one I need to complete the series as well
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I have been addicted to certain games over the years, but nothing right now. 

BlendThree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BlendThree
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

I can honestly attest that the addiction factor was worse in my youth; now I play a few times per week and do my best not to get too wrapped up in games I'm working on so as not to get sick of em.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts
Definitely not. I'd be lucky to play for an hour a day on average... I also can't have massive gaming sessions either. I get restless...
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="bluedeathking"] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addictionbluedeathking

Yes and no to tell you the truth. It really depends on the person really. But I think I also read somewhere that most people have a addiction to something one way or another. I think video games would fall under behavioral addiction. I usually play video games because I'm bored and that I live in a town where most people my age are not people I can currently trust (most of them are low-lifes). But I can go on for days and sometime week without playing a game though I would still consider myself a addict. though one habbit i know i need to kick is my caffeine addiction. server case i know is from one of my ex co-workers. A very strange guy in his 50 do to a very trouble past where he was truamaize by being bullieing at a young age. because of it he never grown up and has a extreme shoping addiction. He would buy useless crap or thing he doesnt need for example he barrow money from a place to get a puppy. 3 week later he end up giving the puppy away because he couldn't afford it then his next pay check he bought himself a new cell phone instead of putting gas in his truck because of it someone end up giving him money cause they felt sorry for the guy.

Your coworker suffers from a form of obsessive compulsive disorder, its a very serious condition and can and should be treated with the help of a therapist. As for addiction, the test is simple: imagine you were locked in a white room for a whole week, with nothing but a book, a chair and food and water given to you thrice a day. Do you feel uneasy for being unable to assume substance X (nicotine, caffeine, depending on individuals) or perform activity Y (in this case gaming)? If the answer is yes then you have an addiction, if not it's just a harmless passion, to be kept within bounds of course, but harmless nonetheless.

Also, it should be pointed out that an addiction to an activity is most likely an addiction to serotonin, dopamine or adrenaline, which can manifest itself in many dangerous ways (extreme sports, driving fast, taking unnecessary risks or going on shopping sprees one can't afford), gaming being the least hazardous.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No i'm not addicted i can go months without playing games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes, I am. Luckily enough it's probably the only remotely bad vice I still have. I used to have a drinking and drug problem but overcame them, so this is an addiction that I can live with.

With the way the new generation looks to be heading, this "problem" of mine might just sort itself out without much effort on my part.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Nope.  If I'm playing a game I really enjoy, or maybe I'm just a half-dozen trophies short of a platinum, I'll put a lot of time into it every day.  On the other hand, if I'm playing a game I'm not especially fond of, I can go a couple of days without even thinking about turning my PS3 on.

xxBenblasterxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xxBenblasterxx

Yes, I am. Luckily enough it's probably the only remotely bad vice I still have. I used to have a drinking and drug problem but overcame them, so this is an addiction that I can live with.

With the way the new generation looks to be heading, this "problem" of mine might just sort itself out without much effort on my part.

Bigboi500

Do you think in someway that gaming replaced your other vices? In this respect is gaming addiction a positive?

xxBenblasterxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xxBenblasterxx

No I spend more time reading about games then actually playing them. I'm weird. dkdk999

This is the situation i find myself in also i can easily find myself reading up on the latest gaming news for at least 2 hours a sitting, if anything I'm becoming addicted to games journalism.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

xxBenblasterxx

Do you think in someway that gaming replaced your other vices? In this respect is gaming addiction a positive?

It definitely helped, so yeah I guess you could say that. My "addiction" to games is more with buying games than playing too much. I tend to spend more than I intend to, and that's more of a problem than anything regarding the hobby.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

No. When I was younger though, I was really addicted to games to the point of not having any friends. I eventually grew up and found my hobbies elsewhere. I still play games but only sports games, racing sims, Call of Duty and World of Warcraft

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]No I spend more time reading about games then actually playing them. I'm weird. xxBenblasterxx

This is the situation i find myself in also i can easily find myself reading up on the latest gaming news for at least 2 hours a sitting, if anything I'm becoming addicted to games journalism.

I can concur. Trying to break that habit though.
Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
I was addictive to games untill I got a new hobby: Boxing (with fitness to stay on the wright weight etc.). Nowadays I can play some games for hours, but after I've did that I don't really want to game for maybe a few days because it gets boring for me. Maybe it's my age, that I'm getting older and have other priorities. But still, I'm not really adictive like I was before. The only games I can play for hours, every single day, are FIFA 13, Pokemon: White, most of the racing games I have and Fight Night: Champion. No other games.
Avatar image for completeslasher
completeslasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 completeslasher
Member since 2013 • 85 Posts

but of course now i simply cannot be sane minded without gaming.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

That depends.

If you mean that i like ta talk,think about,read about games all day,yes,.

xxBenblasterxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xxBenblasterxx

I was addictive to games untill I got a new hobby: Boxing (with fitness to stay on the wright weight etc.). Nowadays I can play some games for hours, but after I've did that I don't really want to game for maybe a few days because it gets boring for me. Maybe it's my age, that I'm getting older and have other priorities. But still, I'm not really adictive like I was before. The only games I can play for hours, every single day, are FIFA 13, Pokemon: White, most of the racing games I have and Fight Night: Champion. No other games.Dexter-010

I find myself in almost an identical situation to yourself, i recently spent the last 6 months getting fit I lost 5st and am now training to run a half marathon come october (http://www.cardiffhalfmarathon.co.uk/) and thus find more of my time taking up by training meaning less for gaming sadly :/, however what with the promise of next-gen consoles this year i can see a definite relapse into some serious gaming time on the horizon. Think this could be a situation for yourself? 

Ravenblood33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ravenblood33
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I don't think I am addicted.I spend many hours playing at weekends but I can do other things and spend my time without even playing video games.I can say that it is my favorite activity because I can play 10-12 hours without getting bored but that happens very rarely and other days I am a little bored to play video games .For example on Tuesday I didn't play a single minute.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

yea im addicted about as much as i'm addicted to watching tv. i play it most days and when a new game comes out. But i have gone days not playing it so there.