Are Dark Souls and Dark souls2 best RPG in terms of combat

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Anurag333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Anurag333
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

Fellow gamers

After pumping over 200 hours in Dark soul and dark souls 2, it nearly 1.5 years now and I am yet to play a game which has more engaging combat.

All games feel too easy.

What do you think.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

If you're basing the quality of the combat just by how difficult they are then I can see why you think Dark Souls has the best combat.

I however think every mechanic in Dark Souls is a smouldering pile sh!t. Sure the combat is hard but it isn't dynamic or sophisticated in the slightest. The weapons only do 2 attacks each on average.... The enemy AI is retarted and easily exploited..... your mobility is floaty and unresponsive.... the parry mechanic rarely sees any use when it would be needed most..... the plunge attack is only used twice..... theres a fuckton of Damage sponges..... and the level design and camera is counterintuitive and makes the combat worse...... oh and the lock on is terribal.

Now if we're going just by mechanics Dragons Dogma has the best combat mechanics in any RPG but Capcom being the idiots that they are went out of their way to undermine those mechanics with cluster **** of weapons and grind heavy XP system.

Which leaves us only with Bastion.... the game that does alot more with a lot less. Its mechanics are no more complicated than Datk Souls however they are deeper. The Shield counter sees a heck of alot more day light than The Parry in Dark Souls and can even used on projectiles to boot. The enemies are no smarter but they can't be exploited as easily.... nor do they need to be because the mechanics in Bastion are actually built around you fighting multiple enemies at once. Theres only ONE of each type of weapon..... let me reititerate.... THERES ONLY ONE OF EACH TYPE OF WEAPON. On top of that upgrades you apply to each weapon serve to alter or grant the player access to a brand new mechanic (metroidvania style) as opposed to Dark Souls upgrades that just increase the damage..... for example the Cael Hammer remains mostly the same throughout the entire upgrade tree but theres one upgrade that allows you to charge it when your shield is up.

Theres also another game I want to nominate for Best Combat...... Bioshock 2. Which many people will argue is an FPS but honestly that game has more meaningful character builds than Dark Souls.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

If you're basing the quality of the combat just by how difficult they are then I can see why you think Dark Souls has the best combat.

I however think every mechanic in Dark Souls is a smouldering pile sh!t. Sure the combat is hard but it isn't dynamic or sophisticated in the slightest. The weapons only do 2 attacks each on average.... The enemy AI is retarted and easily exploited..... your mobility is floaty and unresponsive.... the parry mechanic rarely sees any use when it would be needed most..... the plunge attack is only used twice..... theres a fuckton of Damage sponges..... and the level design and camera is counterintuitive and makes the combat worse...... oh and the lock on is terribal.

Now if we're going just by mechanics Dragons Dogma has the best combat mechanics in any RPG but Capcom being the idiots that they are went out of their way to undermine those mechanics with cluster **** of weapons and grind heavy XP system.

Which leaves us only with Bastion.... the game that does alot more with a lot less. Its mechanics are no more complicated than Datk Souls however they are deeper. The Shield counter sees a heck of alot more day light than The Parry in Dark Souls and can even used on projectiles to boot. The enemies are no smarter but they can't be exploited as easily.... nor do they need to be because the mechanics in Bastion are actually built around you fighting multiple enemies at once. Theres only ONE of each type of weapon..... let me reititerate.... THERES ONLY ONE OF EACH TYPE OF WEAPON. On top of that upgrades you apply to each weapon serve to alter or grant the player access to a brand new mechanic (metroidvania style) as opposed to Dark Souls upgrades that just increase the damage..... for example the Cael Hammer remains mostly the same throughout the entire upgrade tree but theres one upgrade that allows you to charge it when your shield is up.

Theres also another game I want to nominate for Best Combat...... Bioshock 2. Which many people will argue is an FPS but honestly that game has more meaningful character builds than Dark Souls.....

More meaningful character builds in BioShock 2 ?

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I find the combat in Dark Souls 1-2 to be really bad. Is it hard? Yes, but you can make any game hard by making the mobs have high damage and Hp. There is nothing great about memorizing static patterns and working around it.

It seems you like the difficulty. So I suggest you play any game on hardest difficulty and gimp yourself by not wearing armor or something.

The only games with real combat is those that are multiplayer. Ai Will nearly always have a pattern. Go play a moba like LoL. I've had friendd tell me about how DS2 is so hard of a game and when I let them try LoL, they suck, even when they try to play it for a month. They look for a pattern, but players don't have static patterns of play, they adapt, they learn, they aren't Coded. The entire talk of mechanic that DS requires is thrown out the window.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@anurag333 said:

Fellow gamers

After pumping over 200 hours in Dark soul and dark souls 2, it nearly 1.5 years now and I am yet to play a game which has more engaging combat.

All games feel too easy.

What do you think.

I think people have become so used to carebear games that they have forgotten that Dark Souls is just using the old game-style of Trial&Error and that the combat is neither hard or spectacular, its just a return to the old way of thinking back in the arcade days where you didn´t have carebear tactics.

So yes other games feel to easy because they are easy, they are made so that kids won´t feel left out or get frustrated.

So no Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 and Bloodborne is not the best games in term of combat. They are mediocre games who have gotten a strange following.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@anurag333 said:

Fellow gamers

All games feel too easy.

What do you think.

I think people have become so used to carebear games that they have forgotten that Dark Souls is just using the old game-style of Trial&Error and that the combat is neither hard or spectacular, its just a return to the old way of thinking back in the arcade days where you didn´t have carebear tactics.

So yes other games feel to easy because they are easy, they are made so that kids won´t feel left out or get frustrated.

So no Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 and Bloodborne is not the best games in term of combat. They are mediocre games who have gotten a strange following.

I dig the combat in the Souls games. Besides the sound and animation making for extremely satisfying impacts, I like that all of the game characters (who are roughly human sized, at least) have to follow the same consistent stat-based rules for combat. Strength determines damage, endurance determines how much you can swing or how much you can block (modified by equipment and the opponent's damage), exceeding Endurance when blocking results in a stagger for both parties, parries are -very- tight time windows but allow you to completely drop the guard of the attacker for a crit, maneuvering for backstabs, thrusting versus swinging weapons, two handed versus one handed weild, parrying weapons versus shields, etc. There's a lot of depth there and so many ways to "skin a cat" in terms of how you build your character. Every time I think I've "seen it all", I'll meet a player in PvP who went in a completely different direciton building out their character than I had ever seen before, and employs tactics I didn't even know you could use. -That's- what makes these games really fun for me, plus the unforgiving (but fair) nature of the combat. It's not a "wade into a swarm of enemies and Bruce Lee your way out of a situation" kind of game.

It's an "every individual opponent is potentially deadly if you aren't careful" kind of game, much like combat would likely be like in real life.

-Byshop

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Depends on opinion. I find combat in Divinity Original Sin and Mount and Blade more interesting.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu

@acp_45:

Yep.....

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#9 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Depends on your preferences. Dark Souls isn't always the best, but I do find it better than most other RPGs in terms of combat and depth.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

@Byshop:

Not exactly...... sure there's alot of depth but theres alot of exploits too.

I encountered this one Ass hole online once in Annor Londo who wore the entire Havel's Armor set and would hide behind a door waiting for invaders to come so he can stun lock them to death with Wrath Of God..... I'm sorry but there isn't jack shit you can do about this setup.... you can't parry it.... you can't dodge it...... you can't survive more than two hits if that spell. Its just a kill chamber.

Whats sad is he wasn't the only one.... I encountered another squater in The Depths who would funnel you into a narrow corridor and guard break you with the Dragon Stone.

And a hacker in Dark Root garden who squats at the etrance of the Forest Hunters area with a summon ready to gang **** you with overpowered equipment.

You think thats fair ?

I did manage to win some invasions..... I always lose the ones where they have better gear and stats than me and I win the ones where I have better stats and gear than them.

You think thats Deep ? Talk parries all you want..... you aren't going to parry jack shit with 3 seconds of lag.

The Best time to play a souls game online is during its first month of release before all the hackers and assholes ruin it.

I'm not going to discuss Offline PvE...... unless you want me too..... do you ?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@acp_45 said:
@Lulu_Lulu said:

More meaningful character builds in BioShock 2 ?

not sure why but lulu's post and this reaction made me burst out laughing.

Bioshock 2. Christ. A) its not a RPG and B) its combat sucks. the Bioshock games all have really bad gunplay and the plasmids just cant make up for this

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@with_teeth26:

Bioshock (including infinite) despite giving you a predifened character (just like Bastion and Transistor) still allow you to build and shape your charactet in the most important part.... the gameplay.

Yes the game mechanics are barely average but incase you haven't noticed thats RPGs.... the majority of them have luck laster mechenics because they know the only reason people play them is to farm and grind and level up.

And if you disagree then atleast I hope you found this post humorous. It makes me happy when I can at least put a smile on someones face....... :)

Dionzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#13 Dionzilla
Member since 2015 • 90 Posts

Bash me for this, but I prefer the combat of Bloodborne over Dark Souls'...

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

yeah, I think the Souls and Bloodborne games have the best combat in an RPG. The whole system of having a stamina bar that depletes after running and slashing forces you to make sure you are landing your hits on the enemy and keeping a safe distance away so that the enemy cannot exhaust your stamina meter. Can I roll one more time or should I wait a couple seconds because my stamina is at 25% right now and I think he's about to attack me? I find myself thinking these things while playing these games and I'm glad FromSoft has delivered this kind of experience to us.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@dionzilla:

No one's gonna bash you for that..... people may disagree about the which game has better selection and combinations of equipment and upgrade paths but the combat mechanics in Blood borne are leaps and bounds better than all the previous souls games combined.

And if anybody tells you other wise then you let me know...... I'l give them a stern talking to. ;)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator

@with_teeth26: Lulu's pretty well known for trolling Souls game threads. I wouldn't pay much attention.

-Byshop

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Byshop said:

@with_teeth26: Lulu's pretty well known for trolling Souls game threads. I wouldn't pay much attention.

-Byshop

no its fine, I got a good laugh out of it. I'm not even that big of a Souls fan

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

It more he does not enjoy RPG and always say its negative opinion as if it is a fact.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Bloodborne surpassed them imo. Dragon's Dogma is also really good.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#20 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I think ARPGS like Diablo and PoE have more involving and intense combat on high difficulties, at least in the versions I played in. Other than that, Souls games are have very satisfying combat.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Byshop said:
@Jacanuk said:
@anurag333 said:

Fellow gamers

All games feel too easy.

What do you think.

I dig the combat in the Souls games. Besides the sound and animation making for extremely satisfying impacts, I like that all of the game characters (who are roughly human sized, at least) have to follow the same consistent stat-based rules for combat. Strength determines damage, endurance determines how much you can swing or how much you can block (modified by equipment and the opponent's damage), exceeding Endurance when blocking results in a stagger for both parties, parries are -very- tight time windows but allow you to completely drop the guard of the attacker for a crit, maneuvering for backstabs, thrusting versus swinging weapons, two handed versus one handed weild, parrying weapons versus shields, etc. There's a lot of depth there and so many ways to "skin a cat" in terms of how you build your character. Every time I think I've "seen it all", I'll meet a player in PvP who went in a completely different direciton building out their character than I had ever seen before, and employs tactics I didn't even know you could use. -That's- what makes these games really fun for me, plus the unforgiving (but fair) nature of the combat. It's not a "wade into a swarm of enemies and Bruce Lee your way out of a situation" kind of game.

It's an "every individual opponent is potentially deadly if you aren't careful" kind of game, much like combat would likely be like in real life.

-Byshop

Yes, sure the combat is good if you look at certain aspects, but it is not the best, the combat or character building is a age old formula and is nothing new. So even tho we can agree that it´s a good way and taking away the carebear way is good, calling it the best when they did nothing new is overstepping.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@Jacanuk: So what game do you think has the best type of combat?

Anurag333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Anurag333
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

Fellow gamers

Agree the AI was not great.

But the bosses were not dumb.

Some boss battles were epic. Fume knight smelter demon n so on.

Ok parry sucked but shield still was critical in boss fights.

Again its not just difficulty.

The combat in these games is evolved .

Single handed dual handed and move sets are crazy.

You can play in so many different ways.

Which game with sword n shield had such combat I cant recall.

Skyrim was darn easy. The mammoths n giants n dragon just fell like dolls.

Dragons dogma was better but combat not as fun as souls games.

Assassin creed whole series u just block n kill. Too easy.

The use of stamina strength and load carry are best implemented in souls games.

Winning against all odds without summoning help was incredible.

Shadow of mordor witcher 2 3 kingdom of amalur etc all fall short in combat depth.

I killed captains warchiefs so easily .

Combat was quick but again like batman series.

Best is a debatable word but souls games have great combat.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Byshop  Moderator
@kratosyoloswag said:

Bloodborne surpassed them imo. Dragon's Dogma is also really good.

I never tried Bloodborne because it (at least on the surface) looked too similar to the Souls games. I know they wanted to create a new IP, but I didn't get why they made that new IP such a "cut and paste" of their existing IP.

Dragon's Dogma was good but it felt like a "jack of all trades, master of none". It borrowed many elements from other various games, but it didn't surpass any of those games at their own elements. Base combat felt similar to the "souls" games, fighting giant monsters felt a bit like SotC, etc, but they all felt like half baked versions of all of these elements. Still, the combination of all of them put together made for a pretty cool game even if there were elements that could have used some work (like ranged targeting).

@Jacanuk said:

Yes, sure the combat is good if you look at certain aspects, but it is not the best, the combat or character building is a age old formula and is nothing new. So even tho we can agree that it´s a good way and taking away the carebear way is good, calling it the best when they did nothing new is overstepping.

I very rarely use terms like "best" because different things can be the "best" at the same thing at the same time but for different reasons. The combat in the Souls games is really solid, and while stat building in an action RPG is nothing new, the combination of a really solid combat system, a deep character building system from both a stat and equipment standpoint, combined with the most unique PvP systems I'd ever seen that are brilliantly interwoven with the single player experience made for something very fresh.

-Byshop

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#25 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Best combat in an RPG is Dragon's Dogma, no question. Though DS and BB is up in the top lot.

I agree it's not as balanced as Dark Souls, but you know it's a confident combat system when lock-on is very much optional. And if you're a melee build? No lock-on at all and is amazing, fast, and fluid.

As difficulty is concerned. Dark Souls is a less forgiving game but not sure if the enemies are more challenging than BBI. But if you want a really challenging action RPG? I'd recommend Monster Hunter.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I found Bloodborne to have superior combat to the Souls games. It's really light on RPG elements though. So much so that it might not count.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

I understand why people like Stamina Bars but why the hell do they say they add depth ?

Dark Souls

Dragons Dogma

Transistor

All three of those games have Stamina bars...... and what did they add ? Nothing interesting as far as I have experienced.

Maybe its because I have experience games where the enemy AI could actually handle and counter an endless barrage of attacks. So when ever I see one in some game I'm like: "Great..... they made shitty enemies and the only way they could compensate was by placing limitations on me.... sigh."

Ironically of all the Stamina Bars I've encountered the one in Dark Souls was the least annoying...... It refills just as quickly as it dissapears which mostly always keeps you in the action...... compare this to Dragon's Dogma and Transistors where emptying your Stamina Bar essentially leaves you without anything remotely interesting to do other than run around like a Headless Chicken...... Dragons Dogma by far has it the worst especially when you reach level 90 or more because your stamina bar gets so long it takes an entire minute to refill.

I mean picture how annoying that shit would be in Dark Souls.... there you are Fighting Ornstein and Smough and you block smoughs hamner and it drains your Stamina Bar..... what the hell are you suppose to be doing while you wait 60 seconds for it to fill up ? Playing Hide and Seek with the pillars ? Oh no wait.... thats exactly what happens in that fight. LoL.

So uhm yeah..... maybe I'm asking for too much.... after all I play DoA.... aint no stamina bars there.... because the AI can actuall defend itself.

Okay DoA is bad example..... How about Ninja Gaiden ? The even the most basic enemies you fight are built just like you..... they can Dodge Block and Counter attack.... just like you...... and if you hack their limbs off they will Kamikaze your ass !

So you tell me ? Would that game be "Deeper" if you took away the enemies complexity and replaced it with some stamina bar ?

Is it more deep to estimate how many attacks you can get away with and have some stamina to spare for blocking and rolling than it is to have an enemy that can actually defend itself ?

Maybe I'm the only who cares about these things.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

You know how some of you guys get all bitchy when you encounter yet another shooter with Regenerating Health or yet another game claiming to be deep but all they did was add an basic XP system ?

Thats how I feel whenever I see any other bar other than the healthbar in any game of any kind.

I don't like Stamina Guages, Super Meters, Bullet Time Meters, Lives Left Icons, etc.

Anytime I see something designed to used a limited number of times I'm like " Why did they make a Mechanic they can't be countered ? Do they really think placing a limit on it would be interesting ?"

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: http://www.giantbomb.com/stamina-bar/3015-3569/

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

THANK YOU. Atleast you agree with me. Which is a first. :)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: I posted that as an explanation of the mechanic. I completely disagree with your assessment. Stamina exists to prevent players from overdoing powerful moves so as to keep things challenging. Fighting games (prevent spamming, which requires no skill), sports games (exhaustion to keep from matches being one-sided) and RPGs (limits on potential game breaking powers) use them for that very reason. Players want a challenge if a game presents one.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Now I'm insulted..... you think I don't know how the mechanics works.

I know why they include them but pethaps you should take a look at games that don't use them and tell me the Stamina Bar isn't a half ass solution to a problem that should have never existed in the first place.

Once again let me pull DoA out of my back Pocket.... The game was built from the ground up to severely punish spamming. The ability to spam isn't forceably taken a away from the player like is in other fighting games.... instead they put in a series of clever mechanics that allow you to play around these things and only server to make the game deeper.

The same goes for Killer Instinct (up to a point).

While everybody is busy congradulating a game for placing limits on a move that would be to powerful full if you let it run wild..... I'm like: "What idiot thought that move should be included in the first place ?"

The stamina bar doesn't even get rid of game breaking exploits..... what it really does is periodically allow the player to manage it....

"We can't let everybody break combos willy nilly whenever they want..... that would break the game. So lets put a limit on it..... that way they can only TEMPORARILY break the game."

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: half those abilities are either A) difficult to pull off without practice, or B) take even longer to master. Limiting those moves keeps players from getting discouraged in fighting games. As for other genres, supposed game breakers will often have limits imposed aside from either specific rules or metting certain conditions. Even providing you meet those conditions all the time, guess what? You still can't use it because something else was more efficient and less costly to cast/activate. Players should look and feel like badasses, but it should be earned through learning the rules and using them to your advantage without feeling like like the game is saying "we couldn't figure out how to balance out the other moves, so here! Use this as often as you want to compensate!" That's the mark of poor design. Stamina exists to keep the balance in check, barring any unforseen programming errors, which happens more often than people realize.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

"half those abilities are either A) difficult to pull off without practice, or B) take even longer to master. Limiting those moves keeps players from getting discouraged in fighting games. "

Thats the type of Mentality Street Fighter has torwards fixing its problems.

Making an exploit "Difficult To Pull off" doesn't fix anything. All that does is alianate those who are less dexterous from competing against those are more dexterous.

Now I know you know what Fighting Game Afficionados like to say about the Genre.

"More than anything else fighting games are very strategic and heavy on mind games" people got so tired of saying that they even came up with a single word for that concept: Yomi (originated from Virtua Fighter).

However, Capcom thinks they can stop people from Cancelling Into Special by making them harder to execute.

That didn't fix jack shit.... they made it harder for slow thumbed people like me but it hasn't affected those with faster fingers in the slightest. In other words there's no strategy..... you win by being more dexterous.

If they didn't want to people to spam those exploits then they shouldn't have left that exploit in there to begin with (that stupid Cancelling into Specials thing is a relic from Street Fighter III)

Making it harder does just that.... it only makes it harder. If you want to fix something then FIX IT !!! give players someway of defending against these things..... don't make shit harder and arbitrarily seperate your players base for no reason. Thats straight up bull shit.

No seriously..... can you honestly tell me a game is balanced if one mechanic is vastly superior to another and all you got is: "well its fair because its harder". That doesn't fucking matter now does it ? If you can do the harder mechanic then you'l win ? Simple. Hell In that scenario then tying that exploit to some sort of "Super Exploit Meter" would be much better because atleast then everybody will have equal access to it. Nobody would be left out........ ofcourse that doesn't mean shit to some one like me because I still think its ridiculous but I'm sure there are many players out there who would appreciate that sort of solution..... lazy as it is.

As for the rest of your post.....

I believe I already made point about moves that are so powerfull that the enemy AI can't play around them so they just limit them instead. The Stamina is still a half assed solution to problem the developers themselves created. Yeah it keeps things balanced but it also keeps things boring mechanically speaking. Seriously.... all that stamina bar does is stop you from doing something awesome when they should've been looking for an awesome Counter Mechanic to complenent that awesome powerfull thing you could do.

Imagine how much better the combat in Dark Souls could be if the AI could deal with spamming ?  Thats all I'm asking you to do.... just use your imagination alil.

Perhaps I'm more irrated by this mechanic because I grinded and level up and farmed my way to 99 Endurance..... then I slipped on the Grass Crest Shield, the Cloranthy Ring and the Ring of Favour and Protection, so that I could play the game as if stamina didn't exist for me since I had so much of it.

If you can't use your imagination then simply do that, kill some Skeletons then tell me what you think. Still think a Stamina Bar was the right way to go ?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: you're asking for super intelligent A.I. that can counter anything a player is capable of, which is gonna be near impossible. Believe it or not, exploitable A.I. is something a game needs, because if it isn't, then the game seems unfair because there's literally nothing you can do to counter them. Even if we don't see it, most good games have A.I. that follows the rules of the game. They're just deliberately held back to allow players to actually win and accomplish the end goal. There need to be exploits for human players as well, because that way everyone can reasonably achieve the same skill level, if they actually bother to.

You're not asking for balance. You're asking for a game that's unwinnable by design, and that's not the goal in any game. And that's all I'm saying on the matter. I'll leave it to someone else to keep replying to your insanity. I'm not giving more than 3 replies anymore, as a general rule.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

No I think those games are below average on just about everything and I am starting to think that they plant people on popular games sites and forums to praise their games in the hopes they get sales and success through osmosis. It's like the Chinese government, with it's own internet army trying to back the game up ready to flood anyone else's opinion and the populace just agrees with it for the sake of argument. In reality I am part of a large gaming community and in a team speak room of 15 people not a single one of us is into any Souls games. I would of thought there would be at least one especially as most of us have little in common other then we used to play WoW together at some point.

Very tired of hearing about them and I am getting close to stopping my interaction with this forum purely because of how sick and tired I am of the cover these games get, when I can't stand them for so many reasons that it will take me a good two hours to write it up and edit it down to short.

Seriously that's my ultimatum. I'll come back when they go back to making Tenchu.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Actually I'm only asking for Ninja Gaiden 2..... they did it just fine.

But even if that wasn't the case I still reserve the right to ask for things that don't need to be limited..... you know why ?

BECAUSE THIS MEDIUM IS NEVER GOING TO MOVE FORWARD IF IT JUST KEEPS DOING THE SAME THING.

I think I've already mentioned this to you before but just for fun I'l mention it again. One of the coolest things I've seen in a video game is The Shrine from Bastion.

It allowed you to manipulate the game's difficulty in very interesting ways. It didn't require advanced AI or anything fancy.... the developers simply put their noodles together and came up with something very clever..... The Shrine made a Come Back in Transistors only in that game they called them Limiters...... Gears of War 3 also had something similar for when you played the game in arcade mode..... They called theirs "Mutators".

I'm sorry but I'm not going to give Capcom and From Software a free pass.... not when other developers are atleast trying. They are @$@$# Lazy.

"You're not asking for balance. You're asking for a game that's unwinnable by design, and that's not the goal in any game."

I don't even know where you got this from.

And this isn't this the first time you done something like this either..

If you don't want to discuss something then just say so and leave me alone..... you don't need to put words in my mouth just to justify yourself for disengaging. Its unnecessary because nobody cares. Or is this about Pride for you ?

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

There's nothing that says if you don't have a stamina bar or cooldown timer that the game will suddenly be unbalanced. There's more to balancing than simply creating downtime. That's, in fact, the laziest way to do it, but one of those things we put up with because we know devs aren't gonna focus on AI. ever. Not allowed. Just look at stealth games. But this is one of the things that drives me nuts about GW2. Same dev, but the CD's are ridiculous compared to the original, which was premised more on skill up-time. Much more fun because as a player, I always had more attacks at my disposal at any one time. Didn't make it any easier, just more fun.

Tweaking damage ranges, varying enemy vulnerabilities, improving AI, careful animation planning, increasing enemy density. varying mob types, and quality environmental interaction/design are all ways to create balance without forcing players to stare at gauges or timers. It's amazing how few RPGs there are out their that even do vulnerabilities. Hell, in Rift you can make the wooden boxes bleed. What? Remember old style RPGs where skeletons didn't give a shit if you were stabbing them? Because I'ma skeleton and I already have holes. Grab a hammer, dumbass. Burn that troll so its wounds cauterize before it can heal. But now, it's all simplified so no one has to think and no one has to plan and everything is off limits except for cooldowns to control how often you can blindly mash the buttons. It's unfortunate.

I did enjoy Dragon's Dogma's combat more than the DS games. Overall, i just enjoyed it more, period. But in particular, Japanese games love to give you oversized enemies but rarely care about giving you a way to fight them. Even in action games like DMC, you're fighting some monster that's too big for the screen and you spend 10 minutes slashing at its ankles. Am i killing it or giving it a peddy? Climbing on a cyclops to break apart its armor or clinging desperately to a dragon as I drive my knife into its heart is just way more fun.

The DS games are fun, but for their exploration, not their combat. Bad collision, terrible AI and bosses that all seem to be planned around the same strategy of you have to hit me 50 times before I hit you once. It just gets old.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RSM-HQ

@Evil_Saluki: So. . . You rant on that people shouldn't like Dark Souls, and you believe its over appeal is a conspiracy? That would be Fallout.

Both are fun series but Fallout is far more overrated.

@Lulu_Lulu And why is Ninja Gaiden coming in on an RPG subject? That's not an RPG at all. It's an action slasher, adding a stamina meter to an action game would be obtuse. It's about quick seemless combat at a constant pace.

Unlike an RPG!

Which is stat based, picking your next move wisely is essential, that's why stamina bars work in an RPG. If you find such a feature tedious? You're handling the mechanic wrong. Monster Hunter is a perfect example of managing your stamina for victory.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@RSM-HQ:

I brought up Ninja Gaiden because that's an example if good combat mechanics....... I wouldve brought up an RPG instead but come on buddy..... you know RPGs have terribal gameplay. Which is cool..... nobody wants them to have good gameplay. The whole Mass Effect debate made that pretty clear.

I'm not going take anyones advice about RPGs here ever again........ unless you want me to hate Monster Hunter aswell.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@Ish_basic:

*GASP*

If you always felt that way why didn't say something sooner !!!??? :O

LoL.... or maybe I wasn't around to hear if you talked about this before.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@RSM-HQ:

I brought up Ninja Gaiden because that's an example if good combat mechanics....... I wouldve brought up an RPG instead but come on buddy..... you know RPGs have terribal gameplay. Which is cool..... nobody wants them to have good gameplay. The whole Mass Effect debate made that pretty clear.

I'm not going take anyones advice about RPGs here ever again........ unless you want me to hate Monster Hunter aswell.

Well I won't lie, games like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta have the superior combat. That's a fact. But that's also the definition of the genre they helm from. It's as unfair comparing Dragon's Dogma to Ninja Gaiden as Fallout 4 to D00M (2016) in shooting mechanics.

RPGs are less about tackling the situation on one method, and more dedicated towards management and collective loot. In action slashers extra weapons and upgrades are to avoid the feel of repetitive gameplay and not essential editions to the game itself, unless for gimmick purposes.

If games like Dragon's Dogma took away stat meters for the purpose of faster gameplay, you're asking for it no longer to be an RPG.

As Monster Hunter? Speak as you like, I love how the system works. It rewards taking your time and waiting for weak spots. But if you wanted Ninja Gaiden Black? Ho-ho are you in for disappointment xD

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mastermetal777

@RSM-HQ: I'd say RPGs are more about planning and strategy overall.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Im loving the praise that some people give to dark soul for its combat yet completely turn a blind eye to games completely identical to it. Lords of the fallen! Yet this gave is attacked by the community

The only difference between them is how forgiving it is for mistakes a player makes. There are no "mechanics" for this game. You memorize a given set of animations and react to dodge. Is it hard? Sure, but let's now overrate it. It gets easier the more you play as you memorize each animation.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RSM-HQ

@mastermetal777: I'd argue that it's the same thing.

Managing your stamina/ magic/ equipment/ use of items is planning. & leads to your tactical options.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@RSM-HQ:

You're right its unfair.... but after many years of shitty mecganics and lackluster ganeplay... one or two developers have actually tried to make the genre interesting beyond Grinding.

And now that I have had a small taste of that I sure as shit aint going to give a free pass to any game that doesn't even bother trying.

As for you critism of Dragon's Dogma..... this is one of the Few RPGs where different builds genuinely play differently. Which is more than I can say for other RPGs where they say each class is different but all they do is swap a bunch of stats around..... mechanically they all feel completely identical (looking at you Mass Effect...... and Dark Souls).

Dragon's Dogma went went step further and built each class from the ground up almost as if they were making multiple seperate games and then they just crammed them all into one game..... the end result would have been perfect Those Fucking Idiots DID NOT put in even more work by adding a shitty XP and Loot system that the series would have been perfect with out. I mean seriously.... all they had to do was just stop..... But Nooooo "how are peole gonna this is an RPG if you don't fill it with Grinding and Farming and stuff"...... seriously.... what they did was stupid.

It would still been an RPG without the emphasis on stats..... you get to build your Charactef by Choosing their mechanics.... not some bullshit numbers.

Or is your definition of An RPG: a game where people alocate meaningless numbers into made attributes ?

I hope not.... if it is then this "genre" doomed.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mastermetal777

@RSM-HQ: they're the mechanics of the strategy, but I suppose it all works in tandem. Funny thing about Dark Souls is that it requires more twitchy reflexes than stat management in order to succeed. But it also encourages stat management in order to allow for its multiple class builds. Best of both worlds, I feel. Just wish the hit boxes would have been better in some of the smaller skirmishes (and most traps), then the game would be flawless.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#48 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Just like Bloodborne... very hard game just like all the older NES/SNES games that had unfair design. I did enjoy Bloodborne as my first Soul game but I don't feel like it is an RPG at all. More like an action game with stats and make your own story of the little info they gave us.

To me an RPG is more like old Final Fantasy. WRPG feels either like a bad FPS with stats or a 3rd person action game with stats. Doesn't mean it is bad, just not an RPG to me.