anyone read these books that heavily inspired the story of bioshock?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-PS360-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -PS360-
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts

logan's run, 1984, or atlas shrugged? What are your thoughts on them?

leilamayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 leilamayhem
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

I read 1984 and Atlas Shrugged

Definitely read 1984

I found Atlas Shrugged really well written but the ideology off

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Yeah I read atlas shrugged back in college, that's where most of the inspiration came from. Comparing and contrasting the two would actually make a great thesis.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I've read Nineteen Eighty Four, a couple times but neither Atlas Shrugged nor the other one. If anything, the story in BioShock was based mostly off of System Shock 2 and only drew its themes from those novels. Even then it really didn't do a good job at all. It could have been so much better.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
I enjoyed Ninteen Eighty-Four, but Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorite books of all time -- both for its writing and its philosophy.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I've read Nineteen Eighty Four, a couple times but neither Atlas Shrugged nor the other one. If anything, the story in BioShock was based mostly off of System Shock 2 and only drew its themes from those novels. Even then it really didn't do a good job at all. It could have been so much better.foxhound_fox

System Shock 2 draws a lot of themes from Rand's novels as well, though like Bioshock, it isn't completely based on Rand entirely. I read a small Q&A that described the themes borrowed from Rand's writing that fed into System Shock 2. You can read about those in a fan-based Q&A that Levine replied to here, but to summarize, The Many in System Shock 2 is a clear reference to a union of altruists, who see a need for sacrifice of the individual and his achievements to the needs of the many. SHODAN on the other hand is an opposite evil, but still an evil in the world of Objectivist ethics -- namely, she is a psychological vampire: she expects and needs the recognition of others, i.e. their worship, in order to feed her self-esteem and gain her power, and she doesn't respect the greatness in others in converse, but rather seems to resent it as a threat to her own position. She is also, as Levine puts it in the Q&A, more than willing to use initiatory force to her own ends. She is basically sacrificing many to her own self. The subtle theme in System Shock 2 is that you reject both of these for a "third way". That isn't directly specified, but it is very subtle given that most ethical systems are built on one or the other. This third theme is a critical conclusion to every one of Rand's novels.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Well, seeing as how I've never read any of Rand's work I would have to plead ignorance on this one. :P

I've been meaning to get my hands on a copy of Atlas Shrugged though. My university library only has a single copy and it is always checked out.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
The game that drew most from 1984 was Half Life 2 though...the opening scene where you step into city-17 was nearly ripped directly from 1984...particulary the whole Big Brother thing.