Any Mac gamers out there using boot camp?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I am considering buying Windows XP and running boot camp on my Mac so that I can play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Morrowind and whatnot... I am having a hard time finding much in the way of guidance as far as whether or running two OS's hurts the stability of the computer, as well as not being sure as to what games will even run on well on it.  I've got an Intel Mac Mini with a 1.8ghz processor and a gig of RAM... am I screwed?  Should I just save up for a PC or what?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Avatar image for Jedi_Master_Bernard
Jedi_Master_Bernard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Jedi_Master_Bernard
Member since 2003 • 957 Posts

from what i have seen, there are some cool things that this boot camp can offer us.

ive seen regular boot camp where u can only choose at startup to use mac os or microsoft os. and then ive seen parallel running bootcamp where if u use the expose, you can toggle between M$ or OS X

as for running games, i saw at school some one running timeshift on their base model macbook pro on the highest settings flawlessly. it was so smooth. no glitches, no problems

then there are other ways i heard to get a program that will make the ram act as videocard memory to make the games even run faster or something.

does anyone else know anything?

feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
well i have got bootcamp and a macbook pro. there is no effect by having two operating systems on a computer, unless you use a program like parraelles or vm ware whcih runs xp within mac os. there was some techical artical i read part of (way to techical for me) whcih was talking about how mac books are perfect for running xp. although i doubt theres any difference. if you get bootcamp, everything will run FINE. it will work just as well as anything else if not better. as long as your mac has the specs there will be no differences the only problem is, when you make bootcamp you make a partition on your hard drive to run xp on. and on mac you can view the files in this drive. on pc you can not view your mac drive. so if you have your music in the defualt itunes folder, you can not play it on xp, you have to move all your files to the windows drive to play on both. maybe for you this wouldnt be a issue, because its all about games i guessing. but for me its annoying because i have to form a workflow between both os's.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Gaming on a Mac? Ewwwwwwww. :P

In all seriousness, my buddy runs bootcamp and has no problems with it. Although I would recommend Vista Home Premium, if you're going to use it for anything besides gaming.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 feel_freetwo
Gaming on a Mac? Ewwwwwwww. :P

In all seriousness, my buddy runs bootcamp and has no problems with it. Although I would recommend Vista Home Premium, if you're going to use it for anything besides gaming.Teufelhuhn
what? so the greater support and stability of windows xp isnt a factor?
Uncle_Tbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Uncle_Tbag
Member since 2006 • 2677 Posts
I don't think you'll be too happy with the integrated graphics mini's come with. A good deal of the newest games won't even run, and any mildly graphics intense game from the past several years is going to be running on low settings and resolution. It would choke on Stalker and Oblivion. This isn't a comment on Bootcamp or Macs in general, just integrated graphics.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
well i run a macbook pro with bootcamp and windows xp pro on it. its basically the same as having a windows pc when you startup windows. parallels is a different beast and to me it seems much more stable to use bootcamp. your issue will be the mac mini having crap for a graphics card. it might work but dont expect full settings
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I don't think you'll be too happy with the integrated graphics mini's come with. A good deal of the newest games won't even run, and any mildly graphics intense game from the past several years is going to be running on low settings and resolution. It would choke on Stalker and Oblivion. This isn't a comment on Bootcamp or Macs in general, just integrated graphics. Uncle_Tbag

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.  I assumed that the mini would hold me back.  At some point I'm either going to get a Mac Pro, or a powerful PC, I just wanted to know if my mini would be a decent stopgap.
Avatar image for doabarrelroll99
doabarrelroll99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 doabarrelroll99
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Iwould think it would slow the computer down a lot to do that
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 feel_freetwo
Iwould think it would slow the computer down a lot to do thatdoabarrelroll99
well i think you have no idea what boot camp is. so why even say anything?
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

[QUOTE="doabarrelroll99"]Iwould think it would slow the computer down a lot to do thatfeel_freetwo
well i think you have no idea what boot camp is. so why even say anything?

lol very true