Any help on speech topic on video game consoles??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mugen812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mugen812
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hi, I'm giving a speech next week and I needed to write up an outline by this weekend for a speech class. My topic would be something along the lines of "Which console is right for you". This is basically an informative speech and will not take a stance in any sense. I was wonering if fellow CAGS can help me in terms of some websites that can give me info on such things as NPD numbers, detailed info on the systems, etc. I'm aiming to be as unbiased as possible when I go over the advantages and disadvantages so any help would be much appreciated guys!! Thanks again!
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
i took speech in college. this is informative not pursuasive right? i suggest you cover all the good points of all consoles, the 360, ps3, and wii. you can talk about cpu speed and graphics. man, i could go on for days about this. good topic. also talk about games that are available. the 360 is the best selling console according to NPD. i would talk about controllers too. some people like the 360 controller and some don't.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
If you do go with the topic of "Which console is right for you?" then, personally, I would avoid going into sales numbers unless it's necessary. Basically you would be talking about hardware capabilities, features of each console, available games, pricing and accessories. A lot of this information is here on Gamespot.
mugen812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mugen812
Thanks for the good start, everyone. Yea, this is going to be a 5-7 informative speech. It's in no way meant to say which console is better than the other. I suppose I should start with each of the companies websites. However, I was also thinking about avoiding a lot of the technicalites. I want to assume that my audience is general and not a gaming audience. I was thinking something along the lines of pointing out online capabilities, storage, game genres, features (Blu Ray, HD DVD, motion control), etc. Just out of curiosity...IS there a website for NPD numbers?
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
yes there is.. npd.com
Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Frost_Mage
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts
Having a topic such as "which system is right for you" is geared more toward persuasive than informative, but you could make it work I guess. I would focus on price, encompassment, user-friendlyness, etc. It's a difficult topic to explore within the realm of "informative" exclusively speaking. I would speak a bit about the changing video game climate in the last two or so years(emphasizing the last year). IDK, dude. It's a completely broad topic. Do your research, and you might make quite a good speech. I've done term papers and speeches about video games and the industry, and I thought they turned out good enough. I wish you luck.
mugen812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mugen812
Thanks, man. I know it's a bit broad, but I plan to touch it up so that it stays on track on focuses on the main points. I figured I'd do it on a topic I am comfortable with so that I'd have more confidence.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Remember to consider your audience... just because a topic interests you, doesn't mean you aren't going to bore the audience to death.  I tried to give a speech on the history of Taoism at a predominantly Mormon school, and it became very hard to continue because I could tell they weren't listening.  For the record I don't mean that as a knock on Mormons, much more that in the same way that it wasn't audience appropriate for me to talk about eastern philosophy with a bunch of people who couldn't care less, 'Which video game console to buy' might not be a good topic for a speech, if this is a college class.

I'm not saying you need to find a new topic.  I just know that the audience's level of interest directly effects how well I do if I have to do any public speaking.
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts
Good speech I say.First off, think that most of those listening are probably casual gamers. That means that you have to have a very "dumbed down" (couldn't find a better word) way to talk. Avoid talking about the systems powers because that will probably bore them out. Talk a lot about games and bring pictures and stuff to make it more interesting.