Any Atari Lynx fans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

I got one of these around the same time I got my Turbografx. Any suggestions for games? Have Gauntlet, Electrocop (loved it when I was young), Xybot and Batman (not a fan).

lionheart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lionheart22
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

Hey buddy still got mine 20+ years later. Don't have many games though but I would recommend the following 3 to you:

Checkered Flag

Crystal Mines 2 (really good puzzler quite difficult too)

Turbo Sub

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Loggins
Member since 2003 • 33 Posts

@purplelabel: I bought a Lynx II and a PcEngine (Turbografx) last year. Lynx came with 11 games iirc. Very impressed with the Lynx graphics and looove Xybots (played it in the arcades in the 80's - good conversion. I was however dissapointed with the battery life - not very impressive.

And the PcEngine/TG is ofcourse amazing. Bought an Everdrive card for it that takes about 3-400 games on it for virtually unlimited playing. Awesome!

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I remember wanting one when I was a kid. I ended up getting a gamegear instead.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

One of the least portable consoles ever, but also the only lefty-friendly handheld ever made.

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Loggins

@Black_Knight_00: Haha - youre right! You can actually turn it upside down and have the same console.

PS - Now that i think about it - it was curious that i said "youre right" when we talk about a lefty-friendly console ;-) And the word "Lynx" isnt far from the common word "Links" which means "Left" in many countries.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Loggins said:

@Black_Knight_00: Haha - youre right! You can actually turn it upside down and have the same console.

PS - Now that i think about it - it was curious that i said "youre right" when we talk about a lefty-friendly console ;-) And the word "Lynx" isnt far from the common word "Links" which means "Left" in many countries.

Wow, I never even made the connection that Lynx sounds like "Links" ("Left" in german). Do you think that was intentional? I remember the Lynx being heavily marketed here in Europe in the early 90s, so the idea is not entirely preposterous.

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Loggins

@Black_Knight_00: I dont think so, "Lynx" is the word for a wild cat, and Ataris last console was called "Jaguar" which is also a cat. Probably a theme they wanted to introduce, but unfortunately Atari's console adventures ended with the Jaguar. Most likely because it sticked to the memory limited cartridges, rather than the then common CD-ROM. So back to point - i think the name is a coincidence.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

@Loggins said:

@Black_Knight_00: I dont think so, "Lynx" is the word for a wild cat, and Ataris last console was called "Jaguar" which is also a cat. Probably a theme they wanted to introduce, but unfortunately Atari's console adventures ended with the Jaguar. Most likely because it sticked to the memory limited cartridges, rather than the then common CD-ROM. So back to point - i think the name is a coincidence.

Yeah, it probably is a coincidence. I think I'm giving Atari's marketing division far too much credit lol

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Loggins

@purplelabel said:

I got one of these around the same time I got my Turbografx. Any suggestions for games? Have Gauntlet, Electrocop (loved it when I was young), Xybot and Batman (not a fan).

R-Type and Ghouls'n'Ghosts for turbografx - exellent arcade conversions.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19570 Posts

I never played it before, but from I saw of it, I remember it looking pretty powerful for a handheld of its time. But considering the poor battery life, it's no surprise the weak Game Boy dominated more powerful handhelds like the Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear and NEC TurboExpress.

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Loggins

@Jag85: You are probably right - the Lynx had a laughable battery life, while Gameboy went forever. Smart from Nintendos monocromia. They lost in the long haul though - all the pretty girls choose Lynx today ;-)