Am I the Only One Who Is Not Into First-Person Shooters?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

espada_y_daga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 espada_y_daga
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Am I the only one out there that hasn't jumped on the first-person shooter bandwagon? It seems like the whole gaming world has accepted the FPS as THE GOLDEN ARCH of games these days. I can see how the skill involved is definitely impressive and I'm sure it can be addicting, but at the end of the day w/graphics getting better and better isn't a little disappointing to only be able to see your character's hand or the gun they're holding? Isn't it more fun to actually see what your character looks like? I can see if you were able to wear some sort of virtual reality helmet then the first-person perspective might seem realistic, but the way it is now it just looks like a hand that's bobbing up and down.

I'm sure most will disagree w/me, but is there anybody out there that feels the same way?

http://mikelib.tumblr.com/

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I agree because FPS games are too linear for my taste.

The only shooter I play now is Borderlands, because it has some RPG elements within it.

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

No your not the only one. Only shooter series I like is Gears of War which isnt even First person.

Id like to get into some like Turok but Ive never been able to get the hang of them. Ive always been more into adveture/platformers like Sonic, Mario and Kirby.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

They have to be extremely good or I just find them boring. This goes for 3rd person shooters as well. They've gone the way of the sidescrolling beat em ups of the 16bit generation--there's just too many of them.

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

I like sandbox games more as they allow you to choose what you want to do rather than just push you along :P

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
I love FPS games, but that doesn't mean i don't love other Genres. In cases like Half Life 2 they use it because it "immerses" you into the character, and i totally agree.
JayneDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JayneDee
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
I wouldn't say I've ever "jumped on the FPS bandwagon" because I like games that, in my opinion, are good and I feel involved in. If it happens to be an FPS then fine, if it's a TPS / RPG / RTS / TBS etc that's also fine. Your argument for the perspective of "only seeing the hands and gun" it's odd, because I would not say the perspective is what makes a game fun at all, and in some respects an FPS makes it feel more like you are playing yourself in the game.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I'm not a huge FPS fan myself...If it's longer than 10 hours, I hate playing. 6 hours feels long enough for a FPS game.

Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts

I was never really into FPS's until CoD4, but its still not my fav genre, action adventure wins hands down all the time.

-PureDemon-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 -PureDemon-
Member since 2003 • 18426 Posts

Played a ton of fps games, mostly for their single player experience. I never found any that brought me an experience truely worth going through that hassle again. So no I'm not into them at all.

Avatar image for BlackIsleMaiden
BlackIsleMaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlackIsleMaiden
Member since 2009 • 167 Posts
I've never been into FPS games (I suck at them haha), I prefer a good old RPG, platformer or puzzle game. FPS's are too linear for me, and they don't have as much of a storyline as an RPG. I find RPGs and stuff more interesting; sure guns are good, but I find making your own decisions and choosing your own story more appealing than merely shooting everything in sight.
gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

Well....

Once upon a time I thought like you did. I just didn't think FPS were any fun at all.

The only reason why I liked them was because of Halo. And now, I only like really, really, really good FPS.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#13 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
$60 for a game that lasts 5 hours is pretty boring I admit, I like long sandbox-style FPS like Far Cry 2.
BonsaiMet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BonsaiMet
Member since 2010 • 542 Posts
I half agree. I love FPS's if they have a a good amount of realism to them. The Tom Clancy games and Operation Flashpoint for example. I love those types of shooters because you can't just run and gun. You have to use your head and think about how to approach a situation. It's much more rewarding when you succeed in a game like that. I hate games like Halo and CoD because they don't need any tactics to succeed. You seem to have unlimited ammo and a stupid amount of firepower. But of course those are the games that will sell more and get the higher scores because sadly it's catering to a larger audience.
ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

No your not the only one. Im not a fan of FPS at all. I do like 3rd person shooters though.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
I play FPS for the intense gameplay not for fancy graphics, it's one of my favourite genres even though I like and play pretty much all gaming genres. The gameplay intensity with split second life or death decisions, combined with stealth and using your brains into beating your opponent like in a game of checkers, ahh.. always loved FPS and always will.
PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PlayBox39
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

No you're not the only one. I'm not into them either.

albatrossdrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 albatrossdrums
Member since 2008 • 1178 Posts
I think they both have their merits. I would not want to see less 3rd person games made, certainly. But for me I prefer 1st person, not just in shooters and not for every single game, because it is unnatural to see the back of YOURSELF. I get much more immersion by having just my field of view with occasional glimpses of limbs etc as it is in life. I think it works great in some games (uncharted, dead space etc) but there are some games where I really did not like the 3rd person, because your character blocks part of your view, you're staring at someone's back the whole game in some of them (not very interesting) and sometimes the animation of your character is so flawed that all it does it remind you how bad or unrealistic it looks an pulls you out of the game. When 3rd person is done well and not stiff or awkward I'm all for it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
deactivated-5bb421ab1b937

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

FPS is all about having fun with a team and people you know.

It gets addicting because you can talk to and play with people you know and it doesn't take that much skill to just jump right in and start playing.

If you get good, it's even more fun when you start clans and stuff.

Haywired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Haywired
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I do feel like there are too many First-Person Shooters coming out from Western developers. It seems to be the default genre nowadays for a Western developer. I wish the next time one of the them has a new game idea they might at least consider some alternatives before automatically making it an FPS. I've never really been particularly into them. The only ones I've ever owned are Goldeneye 007 and the Metroid Prime games, which I loved and are among my favorite games ever, so I don't dislike the genre. But most of them are the sort of grey and gritty games that don't really appeal to me.

Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts

I was on the FPS "bandwagon" in the early 90s. Doom, Wolfenstein... later on Doom2, Rise of the Triad, Quake etc.

Now I'm not on the bandwagon, I do enjoy a good FPS though.

I really dislike the 3rd person shooters. I always end up screaming "I can't see what right in front of me!!! I don't need to see my back!!! #$%#$!!!!"

Krystyan68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Krystyan68
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

@Rusteater: I agree, third-person shooters just annoy me.

These days I find it hard to get really immersed into games that are not first-person perspective, not necessarily just shooters.

The difference:

Third-person perspective- you control a character. You're just playing a game.

First-person perspective _ You ARE the character. You're having an experience.

I also loved Morrowind, Oblivion & Fallout3, due in large part to the FPP.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#23 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

FPS is probably my favourite genre, I love it!

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

They have to be extremely good or I just find them boring. This goes for 3rd person shooters as well. They've gone the way of the sidescrolling beat em ups of the 16bit generation--there's just too many of them.

Heirren
Shooters, whether third or first person, rated M or otherwise, make up a minority of games released every year, on each system.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

but at the end of the day w/graphics getting better and better isn't a little disappointing to only be able to see your character's hand or the gun they're holding? Isn't it more fun to actually see what your character looks like?espada_y_daga

Some of us look at the environments and the enemies.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
no others dont like them either, be it they find them no fun, they give them headaches/motionsickness, or just never was able to get good at them, tones of people fall into those groups i used to hate them aswell untill i started playin timesplitters 2 and got better at the genre in general, i still suck most of the time but i have fun with it atleast and as a gamer thats what i want most
skohana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skohana
Member since 2006 • 110 Posts

[QUOTE="espada_y_daga"]but at the end of the day w/graphics getting better and better isn't a little disappointing to only be able to see your character's hand or the gun they're holding? Isn't it more fun to actually see what your character looks like?muthsera666

Some of us look at the environments and the enemies.

That's me, I like looking at the environments and the enemies.

The1337Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The1337Gamer
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

Am I the only one out there that hasn't jumped on the first-person shooter bandwagon? It seems like the whole gaming world has accepted the FPS as THE GOLDEN ARCH of games these days. I can see how the skill involved is definitely impressive and I'm sure it can be addicting, but at the end of the day w/graphics getting better and better isn't a little disappointing to only be able to see your character's hand or the gun they're holding? Isn't it more fun to actually see what your character looks like? I can see if you were able to wear some sort of virtual reality helmet then the first-person perspective might seem realistic, but the way it is now it just looks like a hand that's bobbing up and down.

I'm sure most will disagree w/me, but is there anybody out there that feels the same way?

espada_y_daga

I actually used to feel the same way about FPSs when I was younger. I would also ask "why don't they show the whole character?" But then after I got used to playing Counter-Strike I realized the benefits of the first person perspective. If you show the whole character, your aim is limited to where your view would not be abstructed by the character them self; this is not true to life. Whereas, from the point of view of the character your aim is not hindered by only being able to aim from a top-down or over-the-shoulder perspective. For example, from the over the shoulder perspective, in real life your view would not be abstructed by your own head. In my opinion, the first person perspective allows for a level of accuracy that can never be matched by the the third person perspective. Also, the first person perspective adds authenticity to the combat experience and therefore makes it more realistic and immersing.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

FPS is my most disliked genre. :)

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
I dont care much for fps either
hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

i like them but there is so much better games than FPS

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts
Yeah I'm not into FPSs that much either... I'm bored of them. However my favourite game ever is an FPS in Half-Life 2.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 muthsera666
Yeah I'm not into FPSs that much either... I'm bored of them. However my favourite game ever is an FPS in Half-Life 2. hrt_rulz01
I don't understand this. So many people cite Half-Life 2 as such a good game, but there are several FPS's that I've enjoyed far more than HL2.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]Yeah I'm not into FPSs that much either... I'm bored of them. However my favourite game ever is an FPS in Half-Life 2. muthsera666
I don't understand this. So many people cite Half-Life 2 as such a good game, but there are several FPS's that I've enjoyed far more than HL2.

Same here. I personally don't find Valve games all that great.

Dudewrsmygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dudewrsmygame
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

I thought the same like3 years ago nut after they diminish the amount of adventure games i had to play FPS, i like them but i'd prefer a 3rd person perspective than anything else. i wouldn't trade assassins creed for MW.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of FPS as well but I do play them occasionally.

BobBurnquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BobBurnquist
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

Yes, yes you are

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts
[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]Yeah I'm not into FPSs that much either... I'm bored of them. However my favourite game ever is an FPS in Half-Life 2. muthsera666

What so hard to understand? I love it, you don't. Simple matter of opinion. Not that hard :)
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 muthsera666
[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]Yeah I'm not into FPSs that much either... I'm bored of them. However my favourite game ever is an FPS in Half-Life 2. hrt_rulz01

What so hard to understand? I love it, you don't. Simple matter of opinion. Not that hard :)

And I can respect a difference of opinion. My question just goes to why so many people cite HL2 as such a great game, when there are many FPS that I've enjoyed far more than HL2. I didn't think it was that great. I didn't even have the interest to finish the game; there wasn't anything there for me...
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] I don't understand this. So many people cite Half-Life 2 as such a good game, but there are several FPS's that I've enjoyed far more than HL2.muthsera666

And I can respect a difference of opinion. My question just goes to why so many people cite HL2 as such a great game, when there are many FPS that I've enjoyed far more than HL2. I didn't think it was that great. I didn't even have the interest to finish the game; there wasn't anything there for me...

When you first played it probably counts for a lot. My jaw didn't exactly hit the floor when I played HL2 as part of the Orange Box on the X360, but by that time it was years old and countless games had imitatedstuff like the gravity gun and the in-game storytelling. I wasn't impressed by being free to run and hop around a room while someone droned on, but I was impressed by the storytelling which happened via government pronouncements while you walked through a level.

lanejj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 lanejj1
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts
Yes, and to be honest your opinion about this genre is respected.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm kind of the same too. I play a few of them every now and then like Halo and Half Life 2 though. I like TPSs better.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 muthsera666

[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]What so hard to understand? I love it, you don't. Simple matter of opinion. Not that hard :)CarnageHeart

When you first played it probably counts for a lot. My jaw didn't exactly hit the floor when I played HL2 as part of the Orange Box on the X360, but by that time it was years old and countless games had imitatedstuff like the gravity gun and the in-game storytelling. I wasn't impressed by being free to run and hop around a room while someone droned on, but I was impressed by the storytelling which happened via government pronouncements while you walked through a level.

I guess. Personally, I didn't see much story-telling. It was all about oppression, I got that, but there didn't seem to be much more to the story than the"defeat those who hold you down" kind of thing.
Krystyan68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Krystyan68
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="muthsera666"] And I can respect a difference of opinion. My question just goes to why so many people cite HL2 as such a great game, when there are many FPS that I've enjoyed far more than HL2. I didn't think it was that great. I didn't even have the interest to finish the game; there wasn't anything there for me...muthsera666

I guess. Personally, I didn't see much story-telling. It was all about oppression, I got that, but there didn't seem to be much more to the story than the"defeat those who hold you down" kind of thing.

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't finish that game!!

I thought that maybe something was wrong with me. :P

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I don't like FPS games at all and wont play them.
jo-joGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jo-joGun
Member since 2010 • 244 Posts

http://mikelib.tumblr.com/

espada_y_daga
No, actually, I am starting to get digusted with fps games. It seems the makers of the ones I have played for years tend to have the younger generation in mind anymore when designing the new games. They put in things like stupid perks and tardaic balancing acts, and kiddie sandbox maps, just to name a couple. I get sooo bored at times I see my hand going up and down just to release the tension from the game. Sorta like you described about the hand thing, only for real. I'm going to start buying more RTS games.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
I do not really care for FPS. I just discovered this. I hate FPS multiplayer. I do not relaly care for the character in the single player, because I can not relate to him because he is just a gun to me. I love third-person shooters far more than first person shooters.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 muthsera666

[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Krystyan68

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't finish that game!!

I thought that maybe something was wrong with me. :P

Nope, you're not the only one. I just didn't see any motivation in the game.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

I can't be fussed with FPS games anymore, I played a lot of them in the past and then Halo and COD came out and those put me right off the genre. Far too much of the same thing, too dumbed down, too short and frankly boring.

There are far too many of them now, it feels like every week there's yet another shooter being annouced. The genre may be popular, but enough is enough. Other genres should have a chance, as well as truly brand new ideas that aren't all about shooting.