Am I the only one that is bored of FPS games likes Destiny?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

It is basically the same old shit we've been playing on consoles since Halo. You run from point a to b, shoot everything and that is about it; at least with Halo you had to think because the combat was engaging, Destiny feels more grindy with the health bars and how dumb the A.I seems to be, what happens when you add RPG elements into the combat.

I just want something more from my FPS games, Half-Life 2 in 2004 did physics puzzles and it had the gravity gun so you could interact with the environment. It was also a platformer and each chapter it threw different types of gameplay out to you. It did more than running around shooting enemies the whole time.

But Destiny is like going back in time to where all you did was run around and shoot everything. There is no thinking involved, nothing to challenge your brain, you just grind through kiling enemies like Diablo 3 or something.

Just bores me to tears, I don't get how any one wants to still do this in 2014. Played hundreds of shooters that have done the exact same thing over the years, what makes this different? Nothing, it just rides on the hype of being a Bungie game.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@gajbutler: You do realize that this is only the beta, right? The more substantial game elements are gonna appear in the final release. All of this is just the sample platter before the main course.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Well I doubt it would top Halo, but I definitely see where you're coming from, from what I've seen it look similar to borderlands, which bored the living shit out of me!

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mastermetal777

Well I'm enjoying Destiny a lot so far. I didn't care for Borderlands either, but the main reason was that it wasn't as charming or funny as it thinks it is. Destiny is beautiful to look at, fun to play, and will (hopefully) have tons of worlds to explore. Old Russia is starting to become too familiar and boring already, so I'm waiting until the game releases fully to see what more they have to offer.

Avatar image for deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

@gajbutler: I dunno. People who played the Alpha seemed to really like it. The Beta has some performance issues but I feel confident that it will be well liked overall.

Other non-gameplay elements like music and story seem top notch as well (haven't played the game: this impression is based on YouTube videos).

But in the end I kind of agree. The gameplay based on video's seems a little bit over shootty/grindy which is not my thing at all.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Then don't play it. I'm kinda unsure on what you expected from a FPS/MMO besides shooting things and grinding.

thecruzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By thecruzan
Member since 2014 • 106 Posts

@gajbutler: Destiny looks alright but I haven't played the beta yet. I know what you mean though. FPS games like COD, Titanfall, and Battlefield are getting kinda dull.I'm getting tired of running around shooting things with the same weapons on different games and whatnot. The only FPS games that interest me at the moment are Halo and Wolfenstein.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Not me. I play a lot of FPS games, mostly Halo and Call of Duty, and I still love playing them. I'm definitely picking up Destiny, the game looks fantastic.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I always like a good FPS. To me Destiny just seems like a new Halo game, but that is not a bad thing. I can't wait for the full game!!

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#10 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

I was bored of the same old FPS crap TILL I played Destiny. Now I remember why I used to like them so much.

greenballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 greenballer
Member since 2004 • 619 Posts

Now I haven't played destiny. But it seems you have to pve to pvp. Which is a nice change of pace.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I'm not really into shooters, but Destiny is loads of fun! Day one.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I don't really play FPS games so there's nothing boring in Destiny for me. In fact from what I've seen so far I find it quite beautiful and fun and would really like to try it out. Of course I haven't played it since I'm a PC gamer. Hope it'll come out for master race as well. :P

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

They should make an FPS but with a Day-Z framework, Fallout-style RPG elements and procedural missions. It would be Elite/Star Citizen, but in FPS form. Now that's something I'd be all for.

I haven't played Destiny, but I followed its early development and it doesn't excite me in any way.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

It depends on the game. I tried the Destiny beta for instance and ended up going back to Far Cry 3.Destiny is cool but I could see it getting boring for me over time since nothing really held my interest.

I'm looking forward to playing Wolfenstein once the price drops. Games like Bioshock 1 or Fallout 3 are always welcomed as far as I'm concerned. Games like Borderlands 2 are no go for me. Too wacky and arcadey for my liking.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts

@gajbutler:

It's a tired genre. It has to do loads to capture my own interest as well.
Lots of games still keep "shooter" elements, but mix in other genres; such as the Last of Us, or the Mass Effect series.

Destiny appears to be another such hybrid - it's up for you to deem it worthy of your time and money, however.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I've yet to play Destiny, but I've grown fatigued of shooters for some time now.

TLoU reinvigorated my interest because it put just as much emphasis on not getting hit as getting hit. It made each round feel real and relevant. As long as the penalty for getting shot in FPSes remains the drab "darker red screen until death" trope, I'm not interested. TLoU took the ramifications for poor play and changed them from a superficial overlay ontop of the screen into real gameplay detriments. You lost control of Joel. Run out into the open, get hit, and you got knocked down and had to wait a few seconds to regain control.

This change enforced a lot of changes in how firefights were approached. Running from cover to cover was no longer a light decision on survivor/grounded difficulty in TLoU, unlike every other boring shooter on the market. With this change, suppression fire works. It turns the firefights into exchanges of gunfire, much as they are. I'm tired of playing shooters that simply award me for good offensive play. I want shooters that acknowledge good defensive play as well, and as long as developers ignore this aspect I'll ignore their games. TLoU's shooting mechanics has bested all of them. Ironic considering it's not even a dedicated shooter.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Destiny is going to be much much worse, its an FPS RPG. So its going to be a heavily padded Grind Fest !

Like Borderlands.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I see very little to dislike. Equally I see very little to get particularly excited about.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm generally tired of the FPS genre, but Destiny seems to be a bit of fresh air. I love the classic FPS multiplayer aspects, but I also like the MMO and RPG elements as well. I actually care about my character and leveling it up with better armor and weapons. I think it successfully borrows from games like Halo, Borderlands, and Mass Effect to make a nice experience. And that's the vibe I get just from the beta.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@gajbutler: Nowadays they just try to target casual gamers which just want to pick up the controller and play. I use to be that way so I understand but your right we need games that challenge. Not to mention judging from the screenshots Destiny doesn't look that great. Hopefully The Order 1886 will give us something different this year because I'm tired of shooters myself. Actually I'm more and more getting back into racers since they have come along way. The Division is a shooter but I'm confident that it will have a little spice.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mastermetal777

@yokofox33: I agree with you 100%. There's even a bit of Diablo in there in that, even after you reach the level cap, your abilities and weapons will still level up in a sense, and at level 15 in the main game you can access different subclasses to really start experimenting. Loving this game so far, and I can't wait for the full release.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#24 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

yea, i think you're the only one bored with great games like Destiny.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I love playing FPS but I wont be getting destiny because there are other games I'm interested in.