Am I the only one that has never played a FF game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

siversonicboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 siversonicboom
Member since 2006 • 571 Posts

I love RPGs, I just don't understand why I have never played one. I don't have any friends who own one either.

Are they good? should I hunt them down? am I realy missing anything?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
The answer to all of your questions is 'yes'.
polaris550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 polaris550
Member since 2006 • 75 Posts
Yes You should go and get any right now but beware if it's FFXII because even though it has a new fighting system which is great, some might still like the traditional way. I would suggest Final Fantasy X
ny_number1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ny_number1
Member since 2007 • 328 Posts
^ wat he said
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Yes You should go and get any right now but beware if it's FFXII because even though it has a new fighting system which is great, some might still like the traditional way. I would suggest Final Fantasy Xpolaris550

Yeah, FFXII is a true love-it-or-hate-it game. It would be best to rent that one. Personally my favorite in the series was FFX. Amazing game. FFVII, FFVIII, and FFVII/FFIII are great choices as well.

Avatar image for HardcoreKiller2
HardcoreKiller2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 HardcoreKiller2
Member since 2004 • 574 Posts

I was like you TC, I didn't really understand why the FF games are so great, but then my friend lent me his copy of Final Fantasy VII for the PS1 a few weeks back.

Now, I know why the Final Fantasy series is critically-acclaimed.

In answer to your question, yes.

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts
I hated FFX, but then again I really can't stand JRPG's.
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

Played a few minutes of 7 and quit.

RPGs just aren't my thing. I look at turn-based battles and I think wow, can I just skip this? Or in a real-time RPG say Diablo 2, I think how much longer until I level? Battling is never fun for me, which happens to be the crux of these games.

Shinedown220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shinedown220
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts
No, your not alone. I have never played any FF games. Not a fan of JRPG's.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I love RPGs, I just don't understand why I have never played one. I don't have any friends who own one either.

Are they good? should I hunt them down? am I realy missing anything?

siversonicboom

Shame on you.

If you are fan of RPGs, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series is a must.

It is like bible of RPGs. You can be a Christian without reading the Bible, but you aren't good Christian if you don't. Samething here.

agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#11 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
I never played Final Fantasy, and I don't have much intrest to RPG's.
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

I played Final Fantasy 7 and it was pretty good. Very cinematic game and a surprisingly mature plot for a jrpg, if you're willing to look past its flaws and terrible graphics I'd say give it a try... never did beat it though, save game got corrupted near the end and I've just never felt the urge to go back through the whole game all over again.

Tried Final Fantasy 8 as well, and it was also good over the start, possibly even more cinematic than the first but... I dunno, on the PC version which I was playing there's this climactic scene with all this excellent music playing and all dramatic style, everything is getting pumped up towards a massive climax and it's only the first disk... then it's over, and it turns out alright, and nothing really important happens and some guy who should be dead isn't and everything reverts back to relative normal, and that just completely turned me off. I never did make it past the second disk, just no urge to either.

Only other Final Fantasy I've played was the very first wayyyy back when it was first released. But I'll be damned if I can remember much about it.

And that's about the limit of my FF experience. They're alright, you might as well give em a try to see if you like em. Not my thing though.

Nills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Nills
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts
Well, i played FFX and hated it. Then I figured "Oh I'll go buy oblivion and try that!" Hated Oblivion...The only RPG-like game I liked was Kingdom hearts, and thats only action. RPG's didn't work for me. I don't like investing tons of time to get: "Level up! Strength raised by 2, You now have 800 strength!" I would rather be playing an Fps like Halo. when I see the exp bar I just say "Can I just enter a code and magically go up a level?"
don_bidarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 don_bidarian
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts

i hate the gameplay it sucks. specially the ones before FFXII. you should just choose stuff from menu. and its boring.

but the stories rocks. best stories in VGs. or i better say one of the best stories. the only reason that i play is the story and beautiful cutscenes.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

(raises hand) OO ME ME PICK ME I can honestly say ive never played a FF game

1_Blood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 1_Blood
Member since 2005 • 1805 Posts
I haven't. But I haven't really played any RPG's besides the Namco Tales games and Chrono Trigger. I don't play games much, especially now.
1_Blood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 1_Blood
Member since 2005 • 1805 Posts

i hate the gameplay it sucks. specially the ones before FFXII. you should just choose stuff from menu. and its boring.

but the stories rocks. best stories in VGs. or i better say one of the best stories. the only reason that i play is the story and beautiful cutscenes.

don_bidarian
I agree. Turn-based sucks but the stories rock.
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

First of all, I'm not even sure someone can say they "love RPGs" and never have played a Final Fantasy.

But anyway, not everyone has to play the most popular franchises. I've never played a Call of Duty for longer than a few minutes, and I haven't completed a Mario or Zelda since the 16-bit days. I'm sure there are plenty of big-time gamers out there who have never played a FF; it just might not be their thing.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I love turn based combats.

I love randomly generated battles.

I hate RPGs that tries to avoid turn based combats and make half @$$ed action game like Star Ocean 3 or Tales of _______ series or Rogue Galaxy. If I wanted real action game, I'd go out and get action game rather than half @$$ed one.

Which is why I loved FFXII. Now that's the real evolution of RPG, but it did make me sad because I realize turn based combats and randomly generated battles will be more difficult to find in near future and might disappear completely in far future.

eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 eo12601
Member since 2003 • 4814 Posts
I've only finished one FF game myself, which was FFX and I really liked it. The story was really well done. One of the best video game plots out there, if you don't mind a mix of sci fi/fantasy that is.
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

If turn-based were to live, they need to up the AI, NOT JUST give you more stuff to do.

Instead of the monster that does the same patterns, therefore is easily beaten with the same strategy, they need to have it play smarter.

In chess, the computer doesn't sit there and do the same moves when you change your strategy. No it REACTS to you and adopts its own strategy. Queen out in the open? The com will say thanks and snatch her.

If only AI in games were like that instead of the zombie mentality of: see player, chase player.

You look at raids in WoW. It's basically a really big but still stupid boss that has some pattern to beat and that's it.

I can play turn-based games, so long as the AI is competent. I can play chess, I can play many board games. But it's boring to play with braindead AI that is predictable.

But then if playing SMARTER were the case, then that would devalue the importance of stats instead of having stats as the all-important deciding factor of the winner. But then I guess it would turn into a strategy game.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

If turn-based were to live, they need to up the AI, NOT JUST give you more stuff to do.

Instead of the monster that does the same patterns, therefore is easily beaten with the same strategy, they need to have it play smarter.

In chess, the computer doesn't sit there and do the same moves when you change your strategy. No it REACTS to you and adopts its own strategy. Queen out in the open? The com will say thanks and snatch her.

If only AI in games were like that instead of the zombie mentality of: see player, chase player.

You look at raids in WoW. It's basically a really big but still stupid boss that has some pattern to beat and that's it.

I can play turn-based games, so long as the AI is competent. I can play chess, I can play many board games. But it's boring to play with braindead AI that is predictable.

But then if playing SMARTER were the case, then that would devalue the importance of stats instead of having stats as the all-important deciding factor of the winner. But then I guess it would turn into a strategy game.

Revelade

...I've played plenty of turn-based RPGs, especially RPGs, where the AI isn't always predictable. In fact, many of the skills used by enemies are entirely random in some cases. In my experience, most of the "braindead" AI I've encountered in RPGs have come from real-time RPGs...