Am I The Only One? Bioshock Infinte DLC Confession/Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

so I was stoked when bioshock infinite was announced,

so much so that when the chance to pre-order the game and the season pass,

I jumped on it like a lemming jumps to conclusions.

but oh god,

it took at least a day to finally see what an awful game it was,

but it hadn't even dawned on me how routinely terrible it was until a few days ago.

lt is so awful that I cannot seem to get myself to play the dlc,

no amount of good writing and atmosphere can get me to play that shit.

I only played burial pt 1 for about 5 minutes and gave up,

the god damn bait and switch this whole game went through, and the dlc delay,

had spooked me from pre-orders and season passes ever since.

I honestly wish I could give away my dlc since it is going to go unplayed,

and I don't even wanna watch a lets play video or read about plot points online,

and since I feel so strongly about that, I was wondering if anyone had the same sentiment?

EDIT: some had the topic of the thread misconstrued because of improper wording.

this thread is about The game being so bad the dlc is unplayable,

I thought the context would've been clear.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

glad to see somebody somewhere finally agrees with me on what a steaming pile of puke this game is.. they basically took every last feature that made the gameplay in the series so addicting and ruined it in the worst way possible, no eve *vigor* vials carryable more less took plasmids out of the game completely, making it just a shooter, then 86'ed the weapon wheel so even the shooting sucked ass! no more health kits carryably made it rage inducing with so many cheap deaths at every turn you'd swear you were playing a fps version of Dark Souls! this is the only game i've ever played in my life that honestly caused me to sling my controller clear across the room hard as i could out of anger.... no bs! honestly what DIDN'T they screw up in this laughably bad 3rd game which isn't even worthy of carrying the name "Bioshock" imo. what a pos..

if you're a huge Bioshock fan "as i am" stick with the first two games, ignore this mistake and don't even count it as part of the series, i sure as hell don't.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I'm sure you're not the only one but personally I loved it. I thought the story was excellent and I really enjoyed the combat which was pretty intense on the higher difficulties. I still need to get the dlc which I've heard is quite good.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#5  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I can honestly say this is one of the least exciting shooters I have ever played, probably the worst gunplay ever as far as big shooters go.

I mean the first two BioShock games were pretty good, I didn't really care about the storyline but there was some good gameplay design and sights to behold. Not that there aren't any in Infinite, but art direction alone doesn't make the game for me.

Still, it's obvious this game is a work of passion and is very impressive and audacious compared to many of its contemporaries

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

Gameplay wise, Infinite was too much of a departure from the old formula. Bioshock 1 & 2 emphasized setting traps and leading enemies into them, using the environment to your advantage, searching for health packs and even to carry so that you can reload on the fly, and other things. While Infinite does retain some of these concepts, they are either used to a small degree or so pointless that they might as well have been left out.

• Environmental hazards that are in tears are almost useless because of the fact that you barely have the opportunity to ambush enemies. In fact, when you do find enemies they are just walking around. The best thing to do is to set traps and aggro enemies in order for you to lead them in to your traps. Not only to traps cost more salts, but there are almost no instances where an environmental hazard can be triggered before getting your enemies attention.
  • As I already touched on, there is really no opportunity to ambush enemies
  • COPS BANG THERE CLUBS ON THE GROUND LIKE MONKEYS
  • You cannot have a surplus of health kits and salts.

Now when it comes to the story, I think that themes are what carry it along and not the story line itself. I have some issues with it

• The same father and child twist
  • I do not think that Elizabeth and Booker were enough to give the story weight. All of the other characters take a back seat due to the dimension jumping.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I still will always prefer Bioshock 1 over 2 and Infinite.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I don't know about "awful game", but I definitely find it a barely average Halo clone with a Bioshock coat of paint, subpar shooting mechanics, boring enemies, redundant weapons, a derivative overwritten plot straight out of an M. Night Shyamalan movie, serious pacing issues and (as a personal note) a childishly excessive amount of gore.

That said, I find the 180° that the gaming community has done on this game a bit excessive: we've gone from "Bioshock Infinite game of the generation" to "Bioshock Infinite sucks", which to me is a little extreme.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Gameplay it does nothing special.

The setting is fun and different.

The story just suck and once you get into the reality jumping, the story falls into not care since they can do what every they want.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Great in-depth criticisms. But no, you are far from the only one. A good chunk of people really hate this game for some reason. I don't quite understand, personally, since much has improved since the first game. It's all good, though. Opinions and whatnot. But I think you're just impatient, especially since you say you didn't give the first DLC more than 5 minutes before giving up on it, which is baffling to me. I have no idea how you could give up on it that fast, or why you even bought the season pass before seeing how you liked the main game, assuming you didn't actually buy it after playing the game. I'm not sure which is dumber, buying it on faith before playing the main game, or not liking the main game and buying the season pass anyway.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

I like it more that bioshock 1 just because of the story. But after playing system shock 2 the whole bioshock franchise left me underwhelmed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69470 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

but oh god,

but it hadn't even dawned on me how routinely terrible it was until a few days ago.

and I don't even wanna watch a lets play video or read about plot points online,

and since I feel so strongly about that, I was wondering if anyone had the same sentiment?

I guess you think you are special. This game gets some of the most unwanted hate that it borders fanatical. I am not sure what any of you guys were expecting.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cooolio

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I don't know about "awful game", but I definitely find it a barely average Halo clone with a Bioshock coat of paint, subpar shooting mechanics, boring enemies, redundant weapons, a derivative overwritten plot straight out of an M. Night Shyamalan movie, serious pacing issues and (as a personal note) a childishly excessive amount of gore.

That said, I find the 180° that the gaming community has done on this game a bit excessive: we've gone from "Bioshock Infinite game of the generation" to "Bioshock Infinite sucks", which to me is a little extreme.

While I do find the game to lack what made the first 2 bishocks great, I do not see how it is a barely average halo clone. Also, there were already a few people who did not like the game when it was getting praised. At the same time, a few people used to love it and do not like it anymore.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cooolio

@SoNin360 said:

Great in-depth criticisms. But no, you are far from the only one. A good chunk of people really hate this game for some reason. I don't quite understand, personally, since much has improved since the first game. It's all good, though. Opinions and whatnot. But I think you're just impatient, especially since you say you didn't give the first DLC more than 5 minutes before giving up on it, which is baffling to me. I have no idea how you could give up on it that fast, or why you even bought the season pass before seeing how you liked the main game, assuming you didn't actually buy it after playing the game. I'm not sure which is dumber, buying it on faith before playing the main game, or not liking the main game and buying the season pass anyway.

To be fair, their are a lot of people who buy a season pass for a game that is in franchise that they are use to playing good games in. Now, buying it even after hating the main game, is something that I could see someone criticizing. Personally, I did the second of the two. If anyone were to ask why, frankly it is because I thought playing dlc that featured the old syle of bioshock gameplay would be enough.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 killatwill15
@SoNin360 said:

like I said, once the game went up for pre-order,

I got the game and the season pass.

I thought the game was going to be one of the greatest.

playing that game was like wiping someone elses shit on my hands for 8 hrs.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@cooolio said:

While I do find the game to lack what made the first 2 bishocks great, I do not see how it is a barely average halo clone. Also, there were already a few people who did not like the game when it was getting praised. At the same time, a few people used to love it and do not like it anymore.

Because it's a plain shooter, gone are the creative opportunities from the previous games: no more luring enemies into a flooded room and electrifying the water, instead we have generic explosive barrels and the occasional gasoline puddle you're likely to overlook, whereas the prequels encouraged you to think ahead. No more hacking a turret to secure a retreat route, no more opportunity for a stealth approach. It's an ulralinear string of set piece after set piece with the same 2 enemies repeated ad nauseam, interspersed with the extremely occasional spliced up dude or copy-paste handyman fight. Yes, the plasimds are still there, the hacking one, the fire, the shock, but they aren'y used in any creative manner. They are just there as a bullet pointto remain consistent with the franchise feel.

Gone are the inventive and athmospheric boss fights, replaced by interminable respawning enemies sections with the same 2 soldiers over and over and that awful fight against the ghost woman, which is repeated three times in 20 minutes. Regenerating health and two weapons limit contribute to the Halo knockoff feeling. The latter especially limits variety and creative approach on the player's part, it's the same criticism that was moved against Duke Nukem Forever and it's entirely founded.

Also, it sounds to me that half the people who praised this game on release have violently turned on it once the hype died down and they realized the rave reviews the game received were more due to brand than merit. Of course the hyperbolic (and frankly ridiculous) 4/10 gamespot gave it in its re-review didn't help the game's quest to remain popular and neither did Irrational Games closing down.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cooolio

@Black_Knight_00: Trust me man, I get what your saying. I made a less detailed post criticizing the fact that they pretty much abandoned the concepts of the first 2. What got me were the cops banging there clubs on the ground like monkeys. At first I thought you were trying to say that it was trying to do what halo does but failed at it, but i see now your saying that it is trying to be like your typical shooter.

I also never understood what was so great about elizabeth. The only moment that I feel was was great to see from her was when she gasped in shocked when she was in the store because she saw the songbird doll. The e3 demo had a way better version of her.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killatwill15

@Pedro said:

@killatwill15 said:

but oh god,

I guess you think you are special. This game gets some of the most unwanted hate that it borders fanatical. I am not sure what any of you guys were expecting.

I was expecting was a sequel to bioshock, a game that rewarded planning and creativity and resourcefulness,

what we got was a game that could be only charted on duke nukem forever levels of awfulness.

the hate this game gets is more than warranted because they propped it up to be so much more,

it wasn't our expectations were so high,

it was the expectations they imposed upon us that they failed to meet.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@cooolio said:

@Black_Knight_00: Trust me man, I get what your saying. I made a less detailed post criticizing the fact that they pretty much abandoned the concepts of the first 2. What got me were the cops banging there clubs on the ground like monkeys. At first I thought you were trying to say that it was trying to do what halo does but failed at it, but i see now your saying that it is trying to be like your typical shooter.

I also never understood what was so great about elizabeth. The only moment that I feel was was great to see from her was when she gasped in shocked when she was in the store because she saw the songbird doll. The e3 demo had a way better version of her.

They tried to get the Halo fanbase on board, that's the idea. As it happens though, they ended up sacrificing what made Bioshock good and failed to recreate what makes Halo good. Simplified gameplay focused more on killing than anything else, choices which have no impact on the game whatsoever: Remember in Bioshock 1 when you were low on Adam and starting to wish you had harvested that Little Sister instead of taking the high road and saving her and then out of the blue you found one of those huge "thank you" boxes full of goodies? Now that was rewarding. Nothing of the sort happens in Infinite: all the choices are inconsequential and I know they pulled out a way to justify it in the context of the plot, but... let's just say I won't mention where they pulled that out from. Justifying lazy game design by means of plot it's only slightly less stupid and disrespectful towards the audience than the old "a wizard did it." It reminds me of when the developers of Superman 64 were asked why the game has so much fog and they replied it was "Kryptonite Fog" made by Lex Luthor. See what I mean? Compare that to "your choices don't matter because multiverse and hypertime."

Elizabeth... she's a potentially good character without any character arc: she goes through untold nonstop carnage without batting an eyelash, it's so jarring. Look at Ellie from The Last of Us and you se how the same character trace should be developed.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@Pedro said:

@killatwill15 said:

but oh god,

I was expecting was a sequel to bioshock, a game that rewarded planning and creativity and resourcefulness,

what we got was a game that could be only charted on duke nukem forever levels of awfulness.

the hate this game gets is more than warranted because they propped it up to be so much more,

The main reason you made this topic is because you supposedly "wondered" if anyone felt the same way as you, but then here you are saying that the hate this game gets is more than warranted. Sooo.....you already knew people felt the same way as you, you knew this game got a lot of hate, so making this topic is absolutely pointless! You just made this topic so you can tell all the people who love it that they're wrong, and you knew you were going to have some back up to make you feel like you're 100% right and you can sleep better at night.

I love the game, it was one of my favorite games of 2013.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cooolio

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@cooolio said:

They tried to get the Halo fanbase on board, that's the idea. As it happens though, they ended up sacrificing what made Bioshock good and failed to recreate what makes Halo good. Simplified gameplay focused more on killing than anything else, choices which have no impact on the game whatsoever: Remember in Bioshock 1 when you were low on Adam and starting to wish you had harvested that Little Sister instead of taking the high road and saving her and then out of the blue you found one of those huge "thank you" boxes full of goodies? Now that was rewarding. Nothing of the sort happens in Infinite: all the choices are inconsequential and I know they pulled out a way to justify it in the context of the plot, but... let's just say I won't mention where they pulled that out from. Justifying lazy game design by means of plot it's only slightly less stupid and disrespectful towards the audience than the old "a wizard did it." It reminds me of when the developers of Superman 64 were asked why the game has so much fog and they replied it was "Kryptonite Fog" made by Lex Luthor. See what I mean? Compare that to "your choices don't matter because multiverse and hypertime."

Elizabeth... she's a potentially good character without any character arc: she goes through untold nonstop carnage without batting an eyelash, it's so jarring. Look at Ellie from The Last of Us and you se how the same character trace should be developed.

Yeah, they really did make the gameplay simple and unsatisfying. The two weapon limit would not have been bad at all if they would have gave the weapons special upgrades like Bishock 2. The final upgrade for your shotgun gave you electrified shots, your drill could deflect projectiles, etc. I always wondered how infusing certain weapons with plasmids would work.

I believe that I was too harsh on Elizabeth. It is not that she is a bad character, it is just that everyone else does, or the world for that matter, is any good compared to her and booker.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@huerito323:

Welcome to the internet

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By killatwill15

@huerito323 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@Pedro said:

@killatwill15 said:

but oh god,

The main reason you made this topic is because you supposedly "wondered" if anyone felt the same way as you, but then here you are saying that the hate this game gets is more than warranted. Sooo.....you already knew people felt the same way as you, you knew this game got a lot of hate, so making this topic is absolutely pointless! You just made this topic so you can tell all the people who love it that they're wrong, and you knew you were going to have some back up to make you feel like you're 100% right and you can sleep better at night.

I love the game, it was one of my favorite games of 2013.

I was referring to game being so oft putting and arduous that I couldn't slog through the dlc,

and I wanted to see if others felt the same.

that was the point of this thread,

im glad you like the game, but it is fundamentally awful,

and not the unintentionally funny awful,

Meet The Spartans awful, and that movie was not without its fans either.

it was not a game nor an experience,

everything that made the game great could be covered in a lets play video or script recitation of an acid addict.

I loved it initially until I tried to replay it and it was like the dawn of man,

my eyes were opened to an awful truth, and I knew shame for the first time.

you don't believe me? just go back and play the airship battle,

go back to the first patriot battle, it will echo in your soul like an empty cavern,

and when that echo reaches your ears, you will know I speak the truth.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Bioshock Infinite sucked and was a big disappointment for me. 2 gun carry limit, a very linear run and gun experience, crap vigors, no memorable characters and Columbia setting was nonsense. The ending was the only decent thing about it.

Burial At Sea DLC's actually look more interesting that Bioshock Infinite. Especially episode 2 which adds a stealth mechanic. Too bad they didn't add all the mechanics ti Infinite, Burial At Sea introduces.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

I still will always prefer Bioshock 1 over 2 and Infinite.

Same here, but I still absolutely loved Infinite.

Avatar image for MasterTankallex
MasterTankallex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MasterTankallex
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

Well to each his/her own. I love the game, and had a great time playing it.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

The dlc sucked ass.The main game was great though,

Gannon27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Gannon27
Member since 2014 • 103 Posts

Isn't it great that the world is such a diverse place and we all have different opinions, it would be very boring if we all agreed on everything. Bioshock is one of my favourites series of games and although the first one is still my favourite, I still loved infinite, and think it had some of the best narrative I have played for some time. I applaud them for taking a risk with such an intricate and complex storyline which the player really has to invest time into, to fully appreciate and understand what is going on. The DLC was great, taking us back to Rapture, and the second chapter changed the game into a stealth oriented game and gave us insight into the narrative of the first game. It was a great idea to give the player control of Elizabeth and taking away her powers making her vulnerable and reliant on stealth.

System Shock 2 is still the best however. I would love to see a remake on the next gen machines.