tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tpz4sheezy
Member since 2017 • 82 Posts

I’m pretty new to from software games. I did give dark souls a try for a few hours but didn’t fall in love with it. The closest thing I’ve completed that would even remotely compare to a from software game is Jedi survivor and I know that doesn’t really compare lol.

Anyways I keep hearing people saying it’s hard but not too hard and if you keep dying at a boss or location, that you can go off and sort of level up to get stronger and then come back. This sounds silly asking this but How does this work? Are there other side quests spread out that you can do to level up and then come back? Is there a sort of grinding aspect to it?

One of my fav games of all time is Zelda botw and totk and what I loved about those games was the fact if I couldn’t beat a certain part of had difficulty I could visit the shrines and solve them and get my hearts and endurance and come back. Is that sort of how elden ring works?? I love the power fantasy of being super weak and then by getting better but also upgrading my character stats and health I am then able to destroy enemies that once seemed impossible. I absolutely despise games that scale up to your level because what’s the point of leveling up if they level up with you?

Based on the little amount I have told you, do you guys think I will enjoy this game??

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11687 Posts

@tpz4sheezy: Elden Ring is in fact as hard as any From Souls games, the difference is it's not quite as linear. If you are struggling with a boss at a dungeon? chances are you can tackle dozens other areas and return at a much higher level, because the big difference is ER is openworld. And while DkS games have different paths they're usually as difficult as each other if not far more difficult that the one you seemed to struggle with.

Elden Ring just offers more exploration with more secrets to find. But ultimately it's not an easier game, just more accessible overall.

tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tpz4sheezy

@RSM-HQ: I can handle difficulty to an extent, I’m more interested in leveling up and the progression systems. Do you get the satisfying feeling of progression as you level up and get better and better loot? Is the progression actually felt and seen for instance ,not being able to beat a boss but then coming back 15 hours of gameplay later and absolutely annihilating the same boss? That’s what I’m wondering more or less.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3493 Posts

It's not Zelda. So if you are really struggling against an enemy leveling up alone won't make you crush it.

As you gain the games currency you'll be able to upgrade you HP, stamina, etc. Which will obviously make things easier. You'll also find new weapons and armors. And unlock some powers. But above all else, FS games are good at training you to get better. It's not just that your character levels up but you, the player, also level up. Usually you won't be unprepared for a challenge they throw at you, and if you feel like you are is because Elden Ring is telling you to do something else.

Difficulty wise ER is by far their easiest title. Way too many clutches imo. But a great game, particularly if you love the new Zeldas, they took some important lessons from Nintendo.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11687 Posts

@tpz4sheezy: Honestly my favorite form of progression is learning the mechanics and getting better at playing the game. But I don't think leveling up in games is a negative either, varies on the game. I don't for example think a leveling system really works in a Super Mario platformer. But in a Role Playing Game in-which you build your own class and set-up? absolutely.

tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tpz4sheezy

Is it a game that you have to look online and read manuals and guides to really enjoy or can you just learn it on your own and make a decent character on your own? I guess i kind of get paralysis from analysis from games like this. I think too hard where i want to put stats in and thus makes me just turn the game off to think more about it lol.

Also, is it the type of game where you are doing a quest and suddenly in the near distance something catches your eye and you go look at it and before long you realize 3 hours have passed and you have not done the quest you were originally on but are doing something totally different?? That’s one thing i loved about the recent Zelda games especially totk. I would find these cool tantalizing items not because a marker told me but because i was exploring. Is it anything like that?? Btw thanks for the replies everyone.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1188 Posts

@tpz4sheezy:

Defeating enemies gives you XP like other JRPGs. You will then need to go to a bonfire and level up.

However to allow the ability to level up, you need to find an NPC early on at the castle gates by just using the bonfire near there.

Leveling up will only get you so far, you can't reasonably overpower a boss, but you can see a good gain in defense and attack. At a certain point you will need to rely on strategy, such as recognizing the animation which will tell you when a boss is about to do this, or that, and getting out of the way or going in for a strike, or recognizing you have enough time to heal.

Fighting normal enemies can get you ready for that by getting you used to using observation and timing to perform actions at the opportune moment.

There are various things that can give you an edge, and using as many of these as you can will help you defeat a boss. Mostly what helps is observing the boss and learning the right time to strike, defend, dodge, and using the terrain to your advantage. If you can hide behind s wall, do it. If there is level geometry that makes it difficult for a boss to get there, use it as a safe spot. Anything is fair game.

You can also find and equip different armor by killing enemies and they are loot drops, by buying them, or finding them in chests. Generally most are useful, and you will want to wear some when you need protection against physical attacks, or some when you need protection against fire or other elements. During regular battles this isn't so important, but wearing the right stuff for a boss can give you an edge.

Using a familiar can also help distract a boss while causing damage. As you find NPCs, some of them will be able to be summoned at a boss to help in the same way.

At a workbench you can also upgrade your weapon.

Certain spells can give you a buff, like poison, or adding elemental damage to your weapon.

People have come up with different builds that suit different play styles, like preferring ranged attacks, or charge attacks, or whatever else. There are lots of possibilities, which gives a lot of repeatability because so many different builds are viable.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1188 Posts
@tpz4sheezy said:

Is it a game that you have to look online and read manuals and guides to really enjoy or can you just learn it on your own and make a decent character on your own?

You can do well on your own, but if you have choice paralysis then I would recommend a guide without hesitation. You won't spoil much, the fun is in the gameplay.

If you think you know a play style that you like, find a guide to help you get the best build for that play style. There are an overwhelming amount of options and no hand holding. If you are going to feel easily overwhelmed figuring things out on your own, then don't hesitate to use a guide. The most important thing is having fun with the game. A guide won't ruin that, and won't ruin any moments in the game. Guides can't ruin the experience of playing. If you are afraid of wasting items, use a guide. Stuff you find early on can become abundant, but if you hesitate before you make a choice, use a guide. It will only enhance the fun for someone with this personality type, because you will just concentrate on the gameplay and exploration.

After all, From games are famous for players being able to leave hints around the map for you. You might as well just read a list of reputable hints, aka a guide. Some say the fun is in sussing out which is a good or bad hint in the game, but for other players the deceptive hints can be disheartening when you suffer the consequences of following them.

If you are the type of player that already knows you will love experimentation, then I wouldn't use a guide.

For you, it sounds like you would have the most fun using a guide. Go for it!