A Founding Father of Videogame RPG has something new in the works

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

User Lists: 0

#1 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Lord Richard Garriot Tweets that he's working on a new, larger RPG.

For those of you who don't know who this is, it's the man that created the Ultima Series.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
That guy is awesome. I can't wait to see what he is cooking up. It isn't every day that you get a bona-fide spaceman working on a video game.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Ultima is a series I've never gotten into, but they were always interesting to read about.

Last one I played was on the Gameboy...I think it was called Ultima...Runes Of Virtue? Vague memories with it, since I didn't have enough time on it, but it was interesting.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts
I hope it's not a mmo this time.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Ultima will forever remain his legacy as one of the most important games ever made, but I'm not sure he can make a modern single-player RPG (he hasn't made one for about 20 years). If it's an MMO, then meh.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Ultima will forever remain his legacy as one of the most important games ever made, but I'm not sure he can make a modern single-player RPG (he hasn't made one for about 20 years). If it's an MMO, then meh.

UpInFlames
Agreed. The man is important, and his contributions to our hobby have been immense, so im interested in the possibility of what he can come up with. However im not really expecting it to be anything id like either. We'll see.
TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

Better not be a goddamn MMO.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Please don't be an mmorpg... please don't be an mmorpg... please don't be an mmorpg... please don't be an mmorpg...
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The first few Ultimas were amazing, but the series died for a reason (the last two games were atrocities). I'm not optimistic about Garriott's return.

Setho10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Setho10
Member since 2004 • 3295 Posts

The first few Ultimas were amazing, but the series died for a reason (the last two games were atrocities). I'm not optimistic about Garriott's return.

CarnageHeart

Well Garriot wasn't really at fault in those cases. EA forced major changes in the games so much that Garriot quit and Origin was shut down. The last great one was VII which was the last before the company was bought by EA. Garriot publicly denounced EA and what they did to Ultima. His version of Ultima VIII and IX were very different than what EA eventually forced them to release. If Garriot could be brought back to the modern EA then I could see some beauty come of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

This made my day.

I'm hoping it'll be a fantasy MMORPG, but I'll settle for anything at the moment. Except a JRPG. I won't touch those.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

For those of you who don't know who this is, it's the man that created the Ultima Series.

smerlus

It's "Lord British" Richard Garriot. Get it right. :P

The only Ultima game I've played is Ultima IV, and I thought that game was very good. It was the first RPG I've played where your actions had consequences.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GodModeEnabled
Although I was young when playing them I remember the Ultima games being ridiculously hard and never finishing a single one of them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="King9999"]

You're right. I was in a hurry and I butchered his name.
Although I was young when playing them I remember the Ultima games being ridiculously hard and never finishing a single one of them.GodModeEnabled
They were definitely more difficult than most games out at the time. i remember starting off and easily getting my ass kicked by homeless people and kids for starting fights with them. also in a time where games like Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man are around...offering the freedom to attack random homeless people is very tempting. You might have heard me tell this story before but the Ultima games got me into video game RPG's. I remember being good through most of the game and coming to a new town, i donated some spare change to a beggar only to go to a shop and notice i'm short for a sword i wanted and that if i didn't hand away that money i would have been good. I went back to the homeless guy and killled him for my money. That kind of choice was unheard of back then.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="smerlus"]

King9999

The Lord of the Nerds ;)
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

This made my day.

I'm hoping it'll be a fantasy MMORPG, but I'll settle for anything at the moment. Except a JRPG. I won't touch those.

airshocker
You are missing out on some really good RPG's by not touching JRPG's but to each his own
Valek1394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Valek1394
Member since 2004 • 365 Posts

This is AWESOME! ....but I too have to add: It better not be an mmo

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GodModeEnabled
You might have heard me tell this story before but the Ultima games got me into video game RPG's. I remember being good through most of the game and coming to a new town, i donated some spare change to a beggar only to go to a shop and notice i'm short for a sword i wanted and that if i didn't hand away that money i would have been good. I went back to the homeless guy and killled him for my money. That kind of choice was unheard of back then.smerlus
Nope, never heard that before thats pretty cool. I remember playing scattered ones ... like one or two of them on the NES and one or two on the SNES but I could just never get into them. I hate games thats make you collect regents for spellcasting and alchemy and crap.... I just cant get into that kinda stuff, which is why I skipped playing The Witcher too. I do remember some cool stuff from the game, like the virtue/sin system stuff they had in one game but I guess I was just too young to really get into them. Instead I fall into the cliche camp of Dragonwarrior/Final Fantasy geting me really into rpgs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

You are missing out on some really good RPG's by not touching JRPG's but to each his owntestfactor888

Every single JRPG I've tried has been ridiculous and childish. They cater to a specific playerbase that I'm not a part of. If that's your thing, awesome. It's not mine.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

[QUOTE="testfactor888"]You are missing out on some really good RPG's by not touching JRPG's but to each his ownairshocker

Every single JRPG I've tried has been ridiculous and childish. They cater to a specific playerbase that I'm not a part of. If that's your thing, awesome. It's not mine.

So you like everything to have guns and extreme violence I assume. Could be wrong though on that mark. Chrono Trigger, Persona, Final Fantasy. Those are just a small small small tip of the iceberg on how many JRPG's are out there but I would hardly call any of them childish at all in general. If you want to ignore some of the best RPG's out there than that is your choice of course. Western RPGs are good as well as I love The Witcher, Mass Effect, and a few others I am sure that I can't think of right now. As I said though originally to each his own. I just get the distinct feeling that you haven't really given the genre any actual try and probably just played 1-2 games. I would even consider Legend of Zelda a JRPG. Not a Zelda fan?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

So you like everything to have guns and extreme violence I assume. Could be wrong though on that mark. Chrono Trigger, Persona, Final Fantasy. Those are just a small small small tip of the iceberg on how many JRPG's are out there but I would hardly call any of them childish at all in general. If you want to ignore some of the best RPG's out there than that is your choice of course. Western RPGs are good as well as I love The Witcher, Mass Effect, and a few others I am sure that I can't think of right now. As I said though originally to each his own. I just get the distinct feeling that you haven't really given the genre any actual try and probably just played 1-2 games. I would even consider Legend of Zelda a JRPG. Not a Zelda fan?testfactor888

You are wrong, I'm actually a much bigger fan of the fantasy genre. Violence doesn't factor into my purchases at all.

From the get-go, most JRPGs that adopt the anime style of graphics scream children's game to me. It's great for people who do enjoy anime, but for the average RPG enthusiast...well, let's just say I don't like girls who look---and sound---like they're five having any significant role in the games I play.

Another huge turn off for me is turn-based combat that games like Final Fantasy use. Can't stand it. I don't mind turn-based, so long as I don't have to think too much about it. Turn-based games like KOTOR and NWN don't bother me.

If you were to list a couple that I might like(for the 360, PS3 or PC) I would give them a try.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Garriott was one of the great innovators in the early days of gaming, but he hasn't evolved with the times. Can anyone actually name a game of his you've played in that was made in the last 15-20 years?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Garriott was one of the great innovators in the early days of gaming, but he hasn't evolved with the times. Can anyone actually name a game of his you've played in that was made in the last 15-20 years?UT_Wrestler

I played Ultima before Everquest. That was almost 15 years ago.

Edit: But I don't think you were referring to me. :P

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="smerlus"]You might have heard me tell this story before but the Ultima games got me into video game RPG's. I remember being good through most of the game and coming to a new town, i donated some spare change to a beggar only to go to a shop and notice i'm short for a sword i wanted and that if i didn't hand away that money i would have been good. I went back to the homeless guy and killled him for my money. That kind of choice was unheard of back then.GodModeEnabled
Nope, never heard that before thats pretty cool. I remember playing scattered ones ... like one or two of them on the NES and one or two on the SNES but I could just never get into them. I hate games thats make you collect regents for spellcasting and alchemy and crap.... I just cant get into that kinda stuff, which is why I skipped playing The Witcher too. I do remember some cool stuff from the game, like the virtue/sin system stuff they had in one game but I guess I was just too young to really get into them. Instead I fall into the cliche camp of Dragonwarrior/Final Fantasy geting me really into rpgs.

Yeah, you were always just a big console gamer. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 190586385885857957282413308806
Garriott was one of the great innovators in the early days of gaming, but he hasn't evolved with the times. Can anyone actually name a game of his you've played in that was made in the last 15-20 years?UT_Wrestler
like a lot of people pointed out, he seemed to have moved on to MMORPG's. so yes i've played City of Heroes and he had his hand in that.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I had loved the ultima series :)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="smerlus"]You might have heard me tell this story before but the Ultima games got me into video game RPG's. I remember being good through most of the game and coming to a new town, i donated some spare change to a beggar only to go to a shop and notice i'm short for a sword i wanted and that if i didn't hand away that money i would have been good. I went back to the homeless guy and killled him for my money. That kind of choice was unheard of back then.UpInFlames

Yeah, you were always just a big console gamer. :P

I didnt really get into PC gaming until Doom hit, and after that I was hooked. We never had a computer in our house back then unless you want to count the commodore 64....which was more like its own kinda console thing. I remember when PCs first started becoming household items, IBM was THE brand to get and a 486 processor was top of the line hahaha. I remember how excited we were to finally have a family computer and games like Doom and Kings Field and Microsoft flight simulator (which I always sucked at) This was also back around the same time the internet came around roughly...... if I remember correctly. Before getting our own family computer I used to constantly be over at a friends house playing on his hahaha, I remember us staying up to like 4 in the morning beating Kings Field IV. His dad challenged us to beat the game in one day (he was a huge adventure game guru/enthusiast) and although we got stuck several times trying to figure out some hard parts we managed to do it. Good times.