A certain subset of online games are not being observed by Gamespot. Why's that?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DunceCapMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 DunceCapMan
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts
I can't pass up the opportunity for free stuff. Let's face it. It's infinitely cheaper to get something for free than it is to buy it. But the downside to all is that you get what you pay for, and a virtual free acquisition is worth virtual nothing. Or is it?

There's a certain category of games that exist out there that Gamespot is not reviewing or even acknowledging. And this is passing up opportunities. That category is Larger Free - Games, and the opportunities are flagging bad games and bringing attention to the actual good ones.

Notice the bold "Larger". Most free on-line games are small, and have a very small amount of replay ability; for each player, the game starts and ends no more than once. I'm bringing attention to the FOGs that require a substantial investment of time. I'm talking about the one that have a large development team behind it. I'm talking about games like "Maple Story". I'm talking these free on-line games that are popping up that with a whole slew themes being anything for Gorgeous Goddesses to Pimping Your Crack, using medium like Flash or their own custom application?

Why are these games not being reviewed? I'd like to know what these games are like before I get into, that way I know not to waste time on the few of the bad ones that show up.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
Reviews exist so that you know how to spend your money. If they are free, all you lose is time. Most of those games are terrible too, so what would be the point of Gamespot slamming tons of free games?
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

Reviews exist so that you know how to spend your money. If they are free, all you lose is time. Most of those games are terrible too, so what would be the point of Gamespot slamming tons of free games?AtomicTangerine

IGN reviews TV shows too.....and they are free.....

some of these free games should be reviewed....deffinetly Battlefield Heroes, since that is rather large budgeted.

Trackmania too....Eurogamer reviewed it and it got a 9 their.

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Iszk
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

IGN reviews TV shows too.....and they are free.....cobrax25

IGN attaches meaningless numbers to everything they can see. Frankly, I think thats about the last website in the world anyone needs to take examples from on what to do and not do.

azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

perhaps not review but definitely shed some more light on.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

As you can see by reading our reviews guidelines, easily found by clicking the help link on every page, we are dedicated to reviewing retail games found on store shelves, with occasional exceptions being made when our audience has shown particular interest in a download-only game (such as America's Army, for example).

Reviews are meant to be buying guides that help you decide how to best to spend your money. Currently, there are more retail games than we can possibly review. There are thousands upon thousands of freely downloadable games; reviewing those games would be simply impossible--and would require resources we do not have.

GameSpot will remain committed to reviewing retail games. As stated in our reviews guidelines:

What types of games do you review?

GameSpot reviews most commercial entertainment software for all major gaming platforms. That is, we review almost every game typically found on game store shelves or at leading online game retailers. We overlook certain types of games, such as those designed expressly for young children, those expressly suited to special interests, and those that are adult-oriented in nature (as opposed to for mature audiences), or those that we deem otherwise unsuitable for our audience. While we typically do not review games that cannot be purchased through standard retail channels, we reserve the right to take exception for such games that we believe would be interesting to our audience.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cobrax25

well...you guys did review Americas Army here.

is BF Heroes gonna be reviewed?

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kevin-V

cobrax25

Right--I said that above, that America's Army was one of those exceptions.

At this time, you should not expect to see many exceptions to our policy to stick to commercially sold games. Our reviews staff is very small, and we can currently not keep pace with retail games, let alone freely downloadable games.

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Iszk
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

At this time, you should not expect to see many exceptions to our policy to stick to commercially sold games. Our reviews staff is very small, and we can currently not keep pace with retail games, let alone freely downloadable games.

Kevin-V

Can't you guys just send Alex a gold plated Rock Band guitar and get him to come back? :(

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kevin-V

Can't you guys just send Alex a gold plated Rock Band guitar and get him to come back? :(

Iszk

I brought it to him, all wrapped up with a bow and everything. He then beat me on the head with it and ran off in his getaway vehicle, which for the record was a 1981 Chevy Chevette with spinning rims.

Fireball2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Fireball2500
Member since 2004 • 3421 Posts
[QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

Iszk

The only way Alex is coming back is if Jeff comes back.
DunceCapMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DunceCapMan
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts

Our reviews staff is very small, and we can currently not keep pace with retail games, let alone freely downloadable games.

Kevin-V

Thank you...

I now have a new hobby.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cobrax25
[QUOTE="cobrax25"]

Kevin-V

Right--I said that above, that America's Army was one of those exceptions.

okay, well I know I am probably getting kind of annoying...but bear with me.

You guys did do 2 hands on previews of Battlefield Heroes, so is this one of the "significant games"

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Reviews exist so that you know how to spend your money. If they are free, all you lose is time. Most of those games are terrible too, so what would be the point of Gamespot slamming tons of free games?AtomicTangerine

This, although they did review America's Army, probably because it's rather unusual in being a game funded by the U.S. government.