1UP reviews Assassins Creed

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164319

(minor plot spoiler in the written review that you would find out in the first 5 minutes of the game)

The only site so far that has pointed out its problems AND given a score that is consistent with the list of problems found. Even Gametrailers found the game repetitive and the AI stupid but still gave it a 9.1. This is one instance I respect 1UP for not giving the game a free pass.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Wow! Totally unexpected! :o

The lowest I'd ever expect from a review would be an 8, but a 7? Holy...!

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

After reading the first reviews i was expecting something like this.

It seems like GT bumped up the score because it wasn't just another shooter.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts
That's, uh... really discouraging. Damn...
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The only site so far that has pointed out its problems AND given a score that is consistent with the list of problems found. Even Gametrailers found the game repetitive and the AI stupid but still gave it a 9.1. This is one instance I respect 1UP for not giving the game a free pass.

EvilTaru

well, maybe 7.0 is a little too low for a game that introduces a couple of very well done gameplay mechanics.

But then again, popping textures, clipping, foggy draw distance, poor character models in cutscenes, awful enemyA.I, below average combat were all present in the preview vids alone. At times, i was pretty surprised at how much hype this game got, especially on these boards. Maybe, people were optimistic that all these bugs will be eliminated come launch time or maybe the not-so-subtle Jade Raymond brain-washingreally did work.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EvilTaru

That's, uh... really discouraging. Damn...ShenlongBo

Maybe that's why they haven't shown anything other than that one assassination sequence for such a long time and then they showed another assassination sequence which is basically yet another assassination sequence, so basically yourepeat the same assassination routine 9 times, the gameclearly needsvariety in its main quest. I don't know how the hell Ubisoft managed to getall of thosesites to fall in line with their scores so far.

djzootie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 djzootie
Member since 2004 • 1368 Posts
one of the most talked up games this year, what a let down...
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="ShenlongBo"]That's, uh... really discouraging. Damn...EvilTaru

Maybe that's why they haven't shown anything other than that one assassination sequence for such a long time and then they showed another assassination sequence which is basically yet another assassination sequence, so basically yourepeat the same assassination routine 9 times, the gameclearly needsvariety in its main quest. I don't know how the hell Ubisoft managed to getall of thosesites to fall in line with their scores so far.

two words...... Jade Raymond.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EvilTaru
[QUOTE="EvilTaru"]

S0lidSnake

well, maybe 7.0 is a little too low for a game that introduces a couple of very well done gameplay mechanics.

But then again, popping textures, clipping, foggy draw distance, poor character models in cutscenes, awful enemyA.I, below average combat were all present in the preview vids alone. At times, i was pretty surprised at how much hype this game got, especially on these boards. Maybe, people were optimistic that all these bugs will be eliminated come launch time or maybe the not-so-subtle Jade Raymond brain-washingreally did work.

Yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I think the parkour is cool but then it's not like I haven't dashed and jumped my way around town in other games such as Okami (obviously not climbing all over like Assassins Creed, but hey I can double jump dash all I want), and there's plenty of variety in the main quest of that game. I think they all saw the problems and just turned a blind eye to them, and come review time, everybody fell in line with the exception of 1UP, GT clearly pointed out the problems as well but couldn't find the resolve to give a score that is consistent with what they said about the game. I'm not saying it must be a 7 but hell a 9 this game isn't from all the impressions I've read on the SA forums where people who have played the game are basically pointing out exactly the same problems, but aren't anywhere as forgiving as GT.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story

1up has been harsh with Crysis too. Gave it a 8 when other major sites are giving it 9 or above.

But still, reading that 1up review of Assassin's Creed, he does touch on solid points. Looks like story, variety, repetitive gameplay, and the unsatisfying ending notched it down a lot.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19600 Posts
Yeah, it definitely sounded like GT was going to penalise it, but they strangely just slapped a 9.1 on it...
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ASK_Story

wow, Taru you should definitely put a spoiler warning in your original Subject because f$cking 1up.com totally didnt feel like doing so.

The second f4ckin paragraph reveals almost everything about the twist, and their reasoning is that it is reveal as soon as we boot up the game.......... :| then they proceed to reveal the actual twist. :| so unprofessional.

S0lidSnake

I hear ya. I was kind of "what the~isn't this important?" as I was reading the review.

I guess he hated the game so much that he just didn't care when writing his flaming review.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger

*REMOVED*

S0lidSnake

If they reveal it at the start of the game, then it isn't a spoiler. That's not the 'huge twist', anyway.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Well, I didn't see that twist coming. Anyway I Was never really convinced that Ubi was going to pull this one off, it always sounded too ambitous for modern technology and design constraints. But I suppose we'll need a few more reviews before we know for sure.
Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts
Oh this was so going to happen!!! I mean come on look how it has performed on it's public outings so far - bugs galore e.t.c I really had a problem with what was being promised for this game it seemed to suffer from the Fable hype syndrome on the xbox - I'm glad I haven't got excitied about this game and I'm thinking now I can save my cash for everything else :)
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Game Informer 9.5

GamePro 5 out of 5

GameTrailers 9.1

What was 1UP saying? They gave Crysis an 8.0, also. Great reviews!:roll:

NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
I had a bad feeling about this title after learning about it's control style.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I'm not a big fan of 1up.com/EGM but as with Lair, when eveything they are saying hangs together, I listen. Since the E3 Showing I haven't been excited about Assassin's Creed, but its a shame it didn't come together. It was trying to do something different from the norm, which is always trickier than making a linear improvement of an established game-type.
Mentalfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Mentalfred
Member since 2003 • 8885 Posts

Game Informer 9.5

GamePro 5 out of 5

GameTrailers 9.1

BioShockOwnz

Don't forget 37/40 from Famitsu.

I always find that 1UP give games that I think are stellar average scores, I remember when MGS3 was out, they gave it a 7 or 7.5 or something like that. Personally its not the site for me to take things from.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Game Informer 9.5

GamePro 5 out of 5

GameTrailers 9.1

Mentalfred

Don't forget 37/40 from Famitsu.

I always find that 1UP give games that I think are stellar average scores, I remember when MGS3 was out, they gave it a 7 or 7.5 or something like that. Personally its not the site for me to take things from.

Same here. I find 1UP the most unprofessional gaming website. Even though Jericho is a bad game, their review was an immature rant instead of an in-depth critical review. They've taken gaming journalism down the drain with them.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Planeforger
Not only that, but 1Up also blatantly makes up rumours in order to get attention - like the 'Bioware's Halo RPG' rumour, or the whole 'first party Xbox 360-exclusive game has been cancelled' thing.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Since general views on this game are positive, I could care less about what 1up thinks. I'll buy this game no mater what. It's enoughf or me to hear thatit has both superb gameplay and story.

enix2093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enix2093
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Blurg...I generally don't care about 1up reviews anyways.
Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wetall_basic
Member since 2003 • 4086 Posts
Every review that comes out could be 7's for all I care. I know I want to play this game,regardless of some of the flaws that may or may not be present.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Planeforger

Since general views on this game are positive, I could care less about what 1up thinks. I'll buy this game no mater what. It's enoughf or me to hear thatit has both superb gameplay and story.

gamingqueen

I wouldn't totally ignore any review. Don't just read the scores, read what they have to say about the game.

For example, Gametrailers gave it a 9.1, but found some fairly horrible flaws with the gameplay (poor AI, easy combat, repetitive mission design). It's a 'positive review', but it doesn't agree with your 'superb gameplay' idea.

In any case, it's probably a fantastic game, but don't automatically condemn one review without admitting that there may be some truth to it.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#27 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

Planeforger

I wouldn't totally ignore any review. Don't just read the scores, read what they have to say about the game.

For example, Gametrailers gave it a 9.1, but found some fairly horrible flaws with the gameplay (poor AI, easy combat, repetitive mission design). It's a 'positive review', but it doesn't agree with your 'superb gameplay' idea.

In any case, it's probably a fantastic game, but don't automatically condemn one review without admitting that there may be some truth to it.

Okay... you mind filling me in? I've read 4 reviews including game trailers' which is alot to me :lol:! Seriously why did they thinkit wasn't good enough? Don't tell me reptition "towards the end" and "simple" combat are reasons enough to drop it to 7.

ArneZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 ArneZ
Member since 2005 • 604 Posts

1UP is one of the strangest game sites on the net, i dont take them seriously at all.

Cant wait to ign or gamespots review of the game is up, here in Norway EVERY review has been 6 out of 6!

princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I totally wasn't expecting a 7 for this game. I've been hearing that hte game has it's share of problems but for some reason I didn't think that it was going to score lower than an 8.

Oh well.....I'm still getting it later on this week.

feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
seems to me the game may get repetitive, but before it does, you are being offered a innovative, exciting and fun experience. considering the game is 12 hours long, you can expect to have 4-6 hours of fun. now considering game lenghts today, that seems like a decent lenght.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#31 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
After reading the previews it was almost to be expected...even if a 7.0 is really low.It seemed like it was going to get boring pretty fast XD
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I'm increasingly skeptical of next-gen games that hit without demos. Especially for original games, the best way to get people excited about a quality product is to give them a taste of coming attractions.

Most professional reviewers seem to try to go a good job, but they are only mortal and can get up in the hype like everyone else and like all gamers, they have franchises they love, hate and are indifferent to. Also, one man's molehill is another man's mountain (something I consider a gamebreaker might be considered insignificant by someone else).

Like I said before, I don't have a ton of respect for 1up.com/EGM, but in this case they are merely stating that what everyone else acknowledges but dismisses as inconsequential (combat, A.I., etc) is in fact a meaningful detraction from the gaming experience.

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
I don't get this. The game gets 9+ in three or four other magazines/websites, 1UP gives it a 7 and now suddenly you agree and respect them? Really? First of all, i won't say the game is great or horrible because i haven't played it. What i can and will say is that the 1UP review is very poorly written. There are users on Gamespot that write better reviews than the guy at 1UP. And secondly, the flaws he mentioned in the review don't seem to be enough for him to take away 3 full points off the final score. It's his opinion, fine, but if he wants the readers to respect it he'll have to come up with a much better written review next time.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
1up is NOT a credible source whatsoever. Take a look at their review archives, if they even load.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

1up is NOT a credible source whatsoever. Take a look at their review archives, if they even load.trifecta_basic

:lol: Seconded. Regardless of the score, 1UP is simply sensationalist trash.

omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 omerdv
Member since 2005 • 1071 Posts

1UP are idiots! my dog can review games better then them!

I mean WTF? Crysis-8.0 and AC-7.0???????

These games deserve at least a 9.0....

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

1UP are idiots! my dog can review games better then them!

I mean WTF? Crysis-8.0 and AC-7.0???????

These games deserve at least a 9.0....

omerdv

youve played them both in detail? a 7.0 does not surprise me for this game. i was very skeptical when there was not alot of footage of the game. and there appear to be a host of problems with the game. its like they had something to hide. now, some reviewers thought it still deserved a higher score because other areas of the game made up for it. and 1up apparantly did not.

im glad someone scored it lower to keep it in check and i know i will be waiting for user impressions before i buy.

ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts
What I like about GT's review is that it point outs all the legit flaws of the game but acknowledge all the great things that it has to offer to warrant it a 9.1. Many forum posters nowadays only point out flaws in the game and forget about the positive things.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

It'll be a shame if Assassins Creed ends up being just okay. So far our current generation of gaming hasn't had much luck with new franchises outside of the FPS genre.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Reviewing games is not like doing maths. You give a personal, but informed and well-founded opinion. And that's all. You don't have to take off points for every flaw of the game if the total transcends those mistakes. On the other hand, some reviewers tend to pay more attention to certain flaws than others.

Avatar image for tmacairjordan87
tmacairjordan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tmacairjordan87
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

1up is definitely a strange site when it comes to reviews. However, when literally everyone (so far) has given the game a 90+ on metacritic and your score is the only one way off the others, people should tend to believe that something's wrong with you, not the game.

EDIT: If they do something like this with mass effect i'll know for sure not to take them seriously anymore.

Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts

I stopped paying attention to 1up reviews a long time ago. Most of the time I read what they're saying about a game, then go out and buy it, and only notice the flaws they've highlighted if I'm specifically looking for them. Regardless of any review, I'm still going to go out and buy Assassin's Creed. One review isn't enough to deter me from the game.

And as one poster mentioned, a review is based on a person's opinion. You may see things differently, simple fact of life. But, if you are going to let someone else's opinion on a game become a factor in whether or not you yourself will purchase it, at least let it be from a credible source. :)

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I don't know. I tend to agree with Taru that this game has gotten away with murder by showing the same scene over and over and over for a year. It's not so much that I disagree with keeping a game under wraps, but that it's a potential warning sign. I'm all ready to jump in, since the game is on sale at Fry's this week for $40, but damn, it isn't like I'm hard-up on games right now. I think I'll wait for some impressions to come in.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OneWingedAngeI

I don't know. I tend to agree with Taru that this game has gotten away with murder by showing the same scene over and over and over for a year. It's not so much that I disagree with keeping a game under wraps, but that it's a potential warning sign. I'm all ready to jump in, since the game is on sale at Fry's this week for $40, but damn, it isn't like I'm hard-up on games right now. I think I'll wait for some impressions to come in.

Shame-usBlackley

yep im with you, impressions are my new go to as i dont like to go off reviews anymore. if the person wants to nitpick they can shred a game. by using impressions, people genrally do more to argue why they feel a certain way about the game and you can see how others with your taste liked it.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
My rragnaar sense was tingling yesterday and I cancelled my preorder.  I still want to play this game at some point, but not day one.  My wallet loves me right now.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

OneWingedAngeI

yep im with you, impressions are my new go to as i dont like to go off reviews anymore. if the person wants to nitpick they can shred a game. by using impressions, people genrally do more to argue why they feel a certain way about the game and you can see how others with your taste liked it.

And for me, this could totally be a victim of release timing -- something that Ubisoft has been criminally guilty of in the past.

My standards drop a bit during dry spells, and I'm much more apt to pay full pop for a repetitive game if it comes out, oh, say, at a time when every other game isn't hitting, y'know?

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but this horse (heh!) crap of releasing every damn game in Q4 has to stop. In fact, this year they didn't even go Q4 -- they released everything from September through November. There's almost nothing coming in December, which just makes me shake my head. This industry is being run by space monkeys.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OneWingedAngeI

agreed again. someone mentioned in another post how the VG industry is stuck in the toy mentality and it has to stop. VGs need to start acting like the medium they are, similar to movies and music. you dont see them all dropping in the 4th quarter. it kills the rest of the year and DESTROYS the ability to move less spectacular games which would compete with the heavyweights.

changing things would help the industry and games immensely.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

agreed again. someone mentioned in another post how the VG industry is stuck in the toy mentality and it has to stop. VGs need to start acting like the medium they are, similar to movies and music. you dont see them all dropping in the 4th quarter. it kills the rest of the year and DESTROYS the ability to move less spectacular games which would compete with the heavyweights.

changing things would help the industry and games immensely.

OneWingedAngeI

Not to mention that it is a win-win situation.  We don't get pummelled during the holiday season, and we also don't get bored in the summer, and the gaming industry gets more of our money.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OneWingedAngeI
we will also likely buy MORE because spreading them out makes it much less distressing to our wallet at once. often there are games i am semi interested in but bigger games take priority, so i put them off. by the time i have the money, i lose interest.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
1up is the laughing stock of videogame review sites as far as im concerned and anyone that takes stock in their opinions is sorely misinformed. Im not giving this game a free pass either but some of you should know better than to trust 1up. Everything about the game clicks for me so its gonna fall into a december purchase.