10 reasons why Persona 3 kicks ass.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Multi-Alias
Member since 2003 • 254 Posts

in order of appearance

1)bad ass anime cutscenes

2)voice acting not filled with actors who overact

3)distinct setting andstyle is awesome reminds me of anime shows like Bleach and Evagelion

4)characters shoot themselves in the head numerous times, it's always awesome especially when it's a critical

5)Junpei

6)gameplay balance, the balance between your enemies weaknesses and your constant fatigue is awesome

7)AI controlled characters not only make things go faster but it also makes the characters seem like individuals

8)no effing fetch quest, seriously not one

9)non dungeon stuff addicting because of off beat characters and it helps you in the dungeon too

10)best multiple choice response ever:

"what's 1+1?"

"2"

"it could be 3 or even 4"

"11"

things holding it back:

excessive load times (though most are short)

music is a mixed bag

graphics are bland in comparison to Level 5's Rogue Galaxy and Squareenix's Final Fantasy 12

trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
I don't know if I'm going to pick up my pre-order or not. I don't have the time to play it now like I did with it's original date. Delaying a game on release after making people wait 7 years is really lame.
Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Multi-Alias

I don't know if I'm going to pick up my pre-order or not. I don't have the time to play it now like I did with it's original date. Delaying a game on release after making people wait 7 years is really lame.trifecta_basic

never played the originals so it was more like 2 days for me.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
I didn't play the two games before this...Will I understand the story?
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

I didn't play the two games before this...Will I understand the story?gamingqueen

I was just about to ask the same question! haha

Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Multi-Alias

yeah it's an all new story and an all new set of characters.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]I didn't play the two games before this...Will I understand the story?rimnet00

I dunno the "mature" content and "kickass storyline" emblem attracted me to this one. Also, everybody was saying the shin megami games are good...

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]I didn't play the two games before this...Will I understand the story?gamingqueen

I dunno the "mature" content and "kickass storyline" emblem attracted me to this one. Also, everybody was saying the shin megami games are good...

I have Persona 2, don't ask how, but once I realized that all of the text was in japanese I decided not to play it because I wouldn't be getting 1/4 of the true experience. I want this game tho, but my ps2 broke a long time ago, and I'm only left with a 360,DC, and GC.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

I really want to play this game now. It kinda snuck up on me, actually... I played and liked SMT: Nocturne, but I never got a chance to play any of the Personas. I don't know why, considering I played just about every PS1 RPG worth playing.

But it's just bad timing. What with Bioshock, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword all coming out within the next four weeks (and I want all of them), there seems to be no way to squeeze in a RPG. :(

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="rimnet00"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]I didn't play the two games before this...Will I understand the story?HiResDes

I have Persona 2, don't ask how, but once I realized that all of the text was in japanese I decided not to play it because I wouldn't be getting 1/4 of the true experience. I want this game tho, but my ps2 broke a long time ago, and I'm only left with a 360,DC, and GC.

Ouch was the one who sold it to you kidding? Selling you a game in japanese?

Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Multi-Alias
I'll be buying HS and BS but P3 is good enough to hold me over until those games come out
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

in order of appearance

3)distinct setting andstyle is awesome reminds me of anime shows like Bleach and Evagelion

4)characters shoot themselves in the head numerous times, it's always awesome especially when it's a critical

5)Junpei

6)gameplay balance, the balance between your enemies weaknesses and your constant fatigue is awesome

7)AI controlled characters not only make things go faster but it also makes the characters seem like individuals

9)non dungeon stuff addicting because of off beat characters and it helps you in the dungeon too

"what's 1+1?"

"2"

"11"

things holding it back:

music is a mixed bag

graphics are bland in comparison to Level 5's Rogue Galaxy and Squareenix's Final Fantasy 12

Multi-Alias

I've been playing the game.

Good game, but not exactly great game.

And voice actors ARE full of people who overact (Especially Yukari). Would've been nice if we had Japanese voice option.

Randomly generated single dungeon does get old and many of the social link you create can get difficult to manage.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]I didn't play the two games before this...Will I understand the story?gamingqueen

I don't think Shin Megami games are related to Persona.

I think they just added Shin Magami in beginning of the title to attract American audience who doesn't know much about Persona but well aware of Shin Megami.

Avatar image for Bluedragonkiddy
Bluedragonkiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bluedragonkiddy
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts
Shin Megami Tensei: nocturne is better.
Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Multi-Alias
[QUOTE="Multi-Alias"]

in order of appearance

5)Junpei

"what's 1+1?"

"2"

"11"

things holding it back:

music is a mixed bag

TriangleHard

I've been playing the game.

Good game, but not exactly great game.

And voice actors ARE full of people who overact (Especially Yukari). Would've been nice if we had Japanese voice option.

Randomly generated single dungeon does get old and many of the social link you create can get difficult to manage.

best voice acting I've heard since FF12 IMO

Fire_Safety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Fire_Safety
Member since 2003 • 1915 Posts

I picked up Persona 3 mainly cause it's a SMT title, and those suckers get hard to find real quick.

The scores they've been receiving helps too, though.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

I picked up Persona 3 mainly cause it's a SMT title, and those suckers get hard to find real quick.

Fire_Safety

Excuse my noobness, but what is an SMT?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

The game does look interesting and very good. I had it on my radar for awhile...but it's still a Shin Negumi Tensai series which means it's based on the occult and it as demonic themes.

I don't know about this kind of concept, though. The game may be great, but I personally can't get into evil and demonic themes. The kids are like demon-possessed or something if they commit suicide to bring out their inner-demon. Wierd.

Looks like a great game...but I think I'll sadly pass on this one.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="Fire_Safety"]

rimnet00

Excuse my noobness, but what is an SMT?

Shin megami tensi... I'll see videos of gameplay then I'll buy it...

xriceballx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 xriceballx
Member since 2006 • 1543 Posts

in order of appearance

5)Junpei

"what's 1+1?"

"2"

"11"

Multi-Alias

It also comes with a soundtrack and a neat artbook :) Im loving it

strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

amazing game, its on my ps2 right now. unfortunately for those who didn't reserve their copy, will have a very, VERY hard time finding a copy.

Chibi_Kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chibi_Kaji
Member since 2004 • 565 Posts
I got the game yesterday and I can't put it down. But as a few other people said the timing couldn't have been worse with Bioshock coming out next week. So it's very likely this game could be put on the back burner for a while. But I will finish this game sometime afterwards.
sanctuary13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 sanctuary13
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts
I don't think Shin Megami games are related to Persona.

I think they just added Shin Magami in beginning of the title to attract American audience who doesn't know much about Persona but well aware of Shin Megami.

TriangleHard

Persona is very much a part of the SMT line. It started with Shin Megami Tensei If... on the Super Famicom (great game if you don't mind playing games in japanese) and it was a bit of an offshoot. basically the difference between the main SMT line and Persona is simply that in SMT you're saving the world or w/e and theyre focused on that (except SMT3 where youre kinda rebuilding the world) whereas If... and Persona focus more on individuals and the things they go through in the SMT universe. Digital Devil and whatnot are great SMT lines as well, and are centered in a futuristic reality.

SMT3 Nocturne is a FANTASTIC game, unfortunately I have not had a chance to come even close to completing it (what is it like 400 hours? c'mon) and don't own a copy due to it being rather rare here in america. P3 might be a slight departure, but its still firmly a part of SMT.

and for those curious few, Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the Goddess" and Shin Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the True Goddess" Shin was added to the super famicom titles much in the way "Super" was added to all SNES titles and "64" added to all N64 titles.

maybe if Persona 3 creates enough buzz, we could see some US releases of older titles. I've got most of the famicom carts, but since i don't read Kanji very well, and i hate playing emulators, I'd love to rock some SMT1 on the psp or something.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
[QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="rimnet00"]

Ouch was the one who sold it to you kidding? Selling you a game in japanese?

Naw it was no one fault's but my own,that is all I can say, :oops:

sanctuary13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sanctuary13
Persona 2 is available in english, it had a US release, just hard to find. there's one at my shop but they want $55 for it.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts
I'll probably end up buying this tomorrow when I hit up Gamestop. The game looks interesting enough and I want to fall deep into the story.
Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Multi-Alias

lol the pop culture stuff is hilarious. Whenever you playthe online game you chat with this chick who uses nothing but internet slang.

"asl?......wat ru a nub? u r a nub arent u >_>?"

askstory- It's not as dark as some people make it out to be. They're not actually attemting suicide and there's no blood when they do it. Games actually pretty upbeat

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Man another awesome game to be bought... unfortuantley I dont know if I have the time or money but it will be one of my purchases for a little later on this year.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I picked up Persona 3 this afternoon and put a couple of hours into it. Its really well done. I like how party members get tired as they go through a dungeon. That was kind of the death of me because I was stubborn and stupid and chose to face a boss with a bunch of party members on the edge of exhaustion. My strongest fighter collapsed to his knees and was quickly killed. The other two slightly less exhausted members survived for a good amount of time, though they did a lot more healing than attacking.

The dungeons are random, but there is an automap and creatures are visible onscreen (no random encounters), so I've got no complaints. The social link system (which I haven't really messed with too much) is interesting (happily, the writing is strong and most of the characters are engaging). The in-game graphics are definentely on the primitive side though the portraits and cinematics are nice (honest, if one wants an rpg more technically impressive than any of the Megatens one wouldn't have to look hard). Based on my experience, I characterize Persona 3 as a unique rpg and definenetly the best SMT game since Nocturne.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts

in order of appearance

5)Junpei

"what's 1+1?"

"2"

"11"

things holding it back:

music is a mixed bag

Multi-Alias
You just need one reason you know: It's Shin Megami Tensei
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts

and for those curious few, Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the Goddess" and Shin Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the True Goddess" Shin was added to the super famicom titles much in the way "Super" was added to all SNES titles and "64" added to all N64 titles.sanctuary13

Never thought of it that way. I just always took it as "New Megami Tensei" since we see the word "shin" used like that so often in game titles.

Erimas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Erimas
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

You forgota few resons:

11. Have multiple girlfriends (score! lol)

12. Tartarus is almost completely optional

13. Lilim

14. Be a Badass, Charismatic Genius! (and EVERYONE knows that being "popular" is everything. lmao)

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts
I feel like I should be more interested in this game, but I'm just not for some reason. I may wait for a price drop.
strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

I feel like I should be more interested in this game, but I'm just not for some reason. I may wait for a price drop.MarcusAntonius

i dont think copies will be around for a price drop, as they're already starting to get rare to find now.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Art work is pretty amazing in this game. It's a unique spin on the JRPG genre. I'm probably gonna have a tough time in it because I can't help being an ass towards my classmates. ;P
Erimas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Erimas
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Wow, has it really become a rare game? Now I feel glad that I reserved it. Phew, that would have sucked ^_^'

Has anyone beaten the game yet? It's been like 4 days and I get the feeling that the 'no-lifers' have already stomped it flat. I just killed the sixth big shadow... I wasn't spending enough time in Tartarus... missed the quest to get the 3rd document because of that retarted boss thing on the 59th. *sigh* I wish that I didn't have a life... lol. I love this game more than I loved Super Mario RPG.

Viva la Persona!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Emiger
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

Waiting for my copy to arrive. I didn't pre-order it and not a single copy was left in any of the 3 gamestops and the single comic/video game shop in my area. I'm very excited, I havn't had an RPG to really get into in a long time.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkCatalyst

I feel like I should be more interested in this game, but I'm just not for some reason. I may wait for a price drop.MarcusAntonius

The only drop this game is getting is off the earth, probably by the end of the month.

sanctuary13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sanctuary13

[QUOTE="sanctuary13"]and for those curious few, Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the Goddess" and Shin Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the True Goddess" Shin was added to the super famicom titles much in the way "Super" was added to all SNES titles and "64" added to all N64 titles.DarkCatalyst

Never thought of it that way. I just always took it as "New Megami Tensei" since we see the word "shin" used like that so often in game titles.

well, i read about as much japanese as i read venusian, but my friend lived there and plays mostly imported games, so as far as i know, "Shin" is a word whose meaning is dependant on the context used so "new","super", and "true" are all viable meanings of "Shin".

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="sanctuary13"]and for those curious few, Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the Goddess" and Shin Megami Tensei means "Reincarnation of the True Goddess" Shin was added to the super famicom titles much in the way "Super" was added to all SNES titles and "64" added to all N64 titles.sanctuary13

well, i read about as much japanese as i read venusian, but my friend lived there and plays mostly imported games, so as far as i know, "Shin" is a word whose meaning is dependant on the context used so "new","super", and "true" are all viable meanings of "Shin".

That they are. That's why this whole thing can be really confusing. All three of those meanings could realistically apply.

sanctuary13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sanctuary13

indeed, and all 3 make sense. i think the wiki entry has it listed as true, but we all know what wiki really is: a bunch of nerds who type their opinions.

OOH BURN!

Avatar image for glacies_diaboli
glacies_diaboli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 glacies_diaboli
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts

Persona 2 is available in english, it had a US release, just hard to find. there's one at my shop but they want $55 for it.sanctuary13

Only half of Persona 2 was localized. Innocent Sin never crossed over.

Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Multi-Alias
I hear P3 is missing a whole disc of extras too
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Not gonna happen.
glacies_diaboli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 glacies_diaboli

I hear P3 is missing a whole disc of extras tooMulti-Alias

While I lament that we're not getting FES, I kinda think of it just a a director's cut. I'd rather have it but considering that the original has the main part of the story, I can live without it. Innocent Sin is a different matter, it was a full game. One of GameSpot's on highest rated too(it's the only import review from themI've ever seen actually).

N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N3MO
Member since 2002 • 20333 Posts
Atlus hasn't counted out FES yet. If P3 moves enough units, it's safe to think that FES will come here. I am just confused on why we got the pre-FES version of P3.
Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Multi-Alias
man the game gets even better in the later levels and the story is getting awesome
glacies_diaboli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 glacies_diaboli

Atlus hasn't counted out FES yet. If P3 moves enough units, it's safe to think that FES will come here. I am just confused on why we got the pre-FES version of P3.N3MO

I'd really rather they pour the resources into making SRW:OGs for NA possible.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
on halloween I will buy persona 3
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points