AboboSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AboboSVT
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

I am probably gonna get flamed for this but am i the only person who think this series is over rated? I grew up a big fan of the 2D Metroid games and a few years back when Metroid Prime was coming out i was psyched. It was the first game i had pre-bought in years. When i actually got the game and started playing it all i could express was utter dissapointment. Im sorry but i just don't think the Metroid series works as well in 3D, the "metroid" feel that i had come to love wasjust gone. I am not some gamer trapped in the late 80s/early 90s either, i did think mario and zelda translated well on the next gen sytems in 3D. I am not saying the game is bad by any means but to say it's over rated i think is an understatement. Then again maybe it's just meand Metroid Prime just isn't my cup of tea.

monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts
yeah your probably gonna get flamed, and yeah i kinda agree its a kind of a bad translation, but its good at keeping the same elements as the older metroid games. Its not overrated not enough people talking about it to become overrated everybody is to busy talking about other games. Its not mainstream enough for people to care about it.
AboboSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AboboSVT
Yea..i know i'm gonna get flamed but i have been holding it in for all these years and it needed to be said...lol.
monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts
its okay man i know how you feel lol
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Nope, you're just crazy, lol.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
It's not your cup of tea. Honestly when a game is one of top rated games of all time, is considered the best game of GC by the majority of GC owners, it's considered great by both critics and fans. It's not overrated.
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

No. I can honestly say that game deserved its score. It took one of the best games in the history of gaming (Super Metroid) and brought it to the current gen (last gen now). The sound design is superb, the graphics made Xbox games look bad, the level design and controls hearken back to the adventure style of the old metroids. It embodied what it would feel like to be isolated on an alien planet.

It probably deserved a 10

Avatar image for Lupin-and-Asuka
Lupin-and-Asuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lupin-and-Asuka
Member since 2007 • 72 Posts

I wouldn't call the Metroid series overrated. Maybe Metroid Prime, but surely not the Metroid series.

Games like the original Metroid, Metroid II and the fantastic GBA Metroid games do not get the credit they truly deserve.

Half-Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Half-Doom
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

HECK NO!!!!! Metroid prime is one of the best GC games i have ever played! (Other than the Resident Evils of Course!)

HEY BUT WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!

metroidprime_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 metroidprime_1
Member since 2006 • 4768 Posts

Prime = Best gamecube game. One of the best games of the last generation (add all time also)

So atmospheric polished well top to bottom.

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts
I personally think Metroid Prime is underrated, since few people really considered it one of the GC system-sellers. For it's time, I still think it has the best graphics to date. I haven't even played a 360 game with an atmosphere as impressive as MP's.
-Rail_Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Rail_Man-
Member since 2007 • 1508 Posts
Agreed, it's overrated. I hate MP.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TM_Darkside
It's not everyone's cup of tea.
sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 sniper_99
Member since 2004 • 2820 Posts

I wouldn't call the Metroid series overrated. Maybe Metroid Prime, but surely not the Metroid series.

Games like the original Metroid, Metroid II and the fantastic GBA Metroid games do not get the credit they truly deserve.

Lupin-and-Asuka

agree, and by not including Metroid 3 on your list I assume that its already got the credit? lol

PapaGlide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 PapaGlide
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
not really
Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts
What..?Metroid Prime is one of the best games.No..it is not overated,and you will go to hell for this.:P
AboboSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AboboSVT

Lupin-and-Asuka

I was strictly referring to the Metroid Prime games. I have played through and loved all the other 5 Metroid games.

Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
Its not for everyone, i get mean looks when i told my matesI though prime was a boring fetch quest + poor shooter with no substantial story or characterisation.
nghtcrwlr821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20 nghtcrwlr821
Member since 2004 • 1217 Posts
I think it's just not your cup of tea. I think that Metroid Prime is the best GameCube game there is and it rivals that of Super Metroid. I also think it made a perfect transition to 3D. The only beef I had with it was that it was short. GameSpot said it would take me around 20 hours to beat it my first time through, I beat it in 13 hours my first time. Sense then I'm beat the game about 5 to 6 times. I love the formula and how the games plays.
especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts

you cant say the game is overrated just because you dont like it.

you can hate fast paced fps games and for that reason alone you can hate halo but that doesnt make it a bad game. you may hate games that can play too slowly ilke the resi evil series and so you can hate resi evil. but that doesnt make the games bad or overrated.

but for what the game is, a first person adventure game, it does the series justice and is more than great.

todd100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 todd100
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts
metroid prime is the greatest GC game ever!!
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Actually before i bought the game, i rented it,and i didnt like all that much. Then a couple years later i rented it again and still didnt like very much. Finally I bought it for about $3 and i played it again, didnt like it still. So i stopped playing it. Finally i started playing it again and started making alot of progress. When I got around to i think the pendra drifts or something i noticed how much i loved the game. Now i think its probably the best GC game.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
It may not live up to the Metroid legacy, but it's still one of the best games this generation.
deleted_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deleted_basic
Member since 2002 • 1646 Posts
weirdos, Metroid Prime is one of the greatest games of all time it plays and feels exactly like the 2D games, with the addition of the visor element Metroid Prime = steady learning curve, easy to quite challenging; when you beat a boss in MP it is one of the greatest feelings in games Halo = you get it right away because it's just like any other FPS and for most purposes makes it quite boring
CFH90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CFH90
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts

Well I never played the original Metroid games so I'm afraid I can't relate to a lot of the responses that the old school guys on here have, but I definitely loved Metroid Prime and thought it deserved a 10. I'm going through the sequel right now and so far it's been toe to toe with the original. There is definitely something about the game that makes it great. The fact that it's so compelling without any real story or narrative is a testament to how talented the guys at Retro Studios are.

I can't say anything about how well the Metroid series transitioend into 3D, but I will say this: Metroid Prime is definitely one of the best, if not THE best, Cube games.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Overated? Hardly!

Halo got around the same scores as MP, but which one do you hear more about? And I'm just talking Halo v MP here, not sequels. When you look at it contrastingly like that it's clear that MP is underated, even the sales for the first game were abysmally low next to the fanfare of journalistic praise it got.

Bladefighter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bladefighter23
Member since 2005 • 1201 Posts
Heck no! It's underrated IMO. It deserves Halo type attention.
gamecubeown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamecubeown
Member since 2007 • 327 Posts
i agreee the game is very overrated
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

I can understand preferring 2d Metroid, but in no way is Metroid Prime overrated. Aside from the amazing graphics and atmosphere, the controls and gameplay are nearly perfect. I did not expect Metroid to translate so well onto 3 dimensions.

I feel the same way about Mario that you do about Metroid. I think the 2d games were far superior to any 3d one.

silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
i've never played the 2d metroid games and i still think prime is overrated
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Minishdriveby
I think when i got to thesecond real boss in the game (Flaahgra) is when i was really really impressed.
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#33 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
I never played the MP series, not a single game. But I guess a lot of people rave about it, so I assume it's a good series.
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SauceCaptain
Member since 2004 • 1273 Posts
It must not be your thing, but then again from what you said it's the first game you bought in years. I have played a lot of games and till this day it's still my all time favorite. I'm a little older than most, and played the original 2D metroids back in the day and can say that prime was far and away better.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
There is more of a direct translation from 2D to 3D Metroid than there is from 2D to 3D Mario. If you are going to try and deny that, tell me how many gold stars you collected in Super Mario Bros. 3.
thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
It's not your cup of tea. Metroid Prime is easily one of the best games of the last generation.
hydrophoboe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 hydrophoboe
Member since 2004 • 444 Posts
I love how you people think ""Goldeneye type controls" and "lock-ons" make for the best controls "evar1111". Yes, maybe if using dual analog sticks is such a complex process that's just too much for your peanut-sized brain. But the fact of the matter is that most people like Metroid Prime for the atmosphere. Personally, I can't stand MP's atmosphere--I like to have human buddies out in space with me, so it's more a personal preference... however, I did like the 2D metroids for some reason (the GBA and SNES ones, I hate the 3D versions).

However, the controls just suck, no matter how well they perfected the "Goldeneye" style. Nice graphics, an atmosphere certain people are into, and interesting weapons--and nastalgia are the reasons for MP's popularity among retro critics and gamers.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Minishdriveby

It must not be your thing, but then again from what you said it's the first game you bought in years. I have played a lot of games and till this day it's still my all time favorite. I'm a little older than most, and played the original 2D metroids back in the day and can say that prime was far and away better.SauceCaptain

its not the first game he bought in years it the first game he preordered in year. Just wanted to clear that up, cause if it was the first game he bought in year it kinda sounds like hes stuck in the past. But if its the first game he pre-ordered in years,it seems like he was really anticapting this game and then was dissapointed when he played it.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#39 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts

I am probably gonna get flamed for this but am i the only person who think this series is over rated? I grew up a big fan of the 2D Metroid games and a few years back when Metroid Prime was coming out i was psyched. It was the first game i had pre-bought in years. When i actually got the game and started playing it all i could express was utter dissapointment. Im sorry but i just don't think the Metroid series works as well in 3D, the "metroid" feel that i had come to love wasjust gone. I am not some gamer trapped in the late 80s/early 90s either, i did think mario and zelda translated well on the next gen sytems in 3D. I am not saying the game is bad by any means but to say it's over rated i think is an understatement. Then again maybe it's just meand Metroid Prime just isn't my cup of tea.

AboboSVT

how long did you play the game for, did you finish it? ... personally, i JUST got this game and am about 2 hours into it, and its starting to get interesting. But yeah, these first 2 hours have been "okay" to me, nothing like the hype people make it out to be. BUT... after reading the GS review, they said you are gonna feel that way when just starting it, and that the game really grows on you with time/gameplay. I believe it too, cuz it gets a lil better the more I play it. I'm not a fan of "shooter" games in general either, but this has some platforming themes in it and is described as an action/adventure game anyhow... just my 2 pennies

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TM_Darkside
MP is one of the most impressive games to date, and I place it just past RE4 as the killer app for the GC.
AboboSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AboboSVT
I think i put around 4-5 hours into the game before i realized i just wasn't enjoying the game and called it quits. I have considered giving it a second shot but i'm afraid of going through the whole dissapointment thing all over again...lol.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
If you don't enjoy the game on your second try, then you're probably not going to enjoy it no matter what. That's the thing about Metroid Prime; it polarizes people much more than, say, RE4.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I love how you people think ""Goldeneye type controls" and "lock-ons" make for the best controls "evar1111". Yes, maybe if using dual analog sticks is such a complex process that's just too much for your peanut-sized brain. But the fact of the matter is that most people like Metroid Prime for the atmosphere. Personally, I can't stand MP's atmosphere--I like to have human buddies out in space with me, so it's more a personal preference... however, I did like the 2D metroids for some reason (the GBA and SNES ones, I hate the 3D versions).

However, the controls just suck, no matter how well they perfected the "Goldeneye" **** Nice graphics, an atmosphere certain people are into, and interesting weapons--and nastalgia are the reasons for MP's popularity among retro critics and gamers.hydrophoboe

The controls in MP were designed to work perfectly with the game, fact is there would be no way to quick access all weapons/visors with dual analog, not to mention that without the lock-on many of the enemies (close to all of them actually) would have to have their attack patterns changed to fit a game ****that no longer has circular dashing. In other words, MP's control scheme isn't a weak attempt to make the game work without dual analog, it's designed wholly from the ground up to take the control scheme into account.

To throw your words back at you: what about your peanut-sized brain can't comphrehend the single analog control scheme? nce you get down to it, all the freedoms that dual analog control offer you are essentially uselss and the game has been designed with this in mind.

Dual analog allows free aiming, MP wasn't primarily about shooting so it made sense to ditch the system.

I played MP and tbh I was almost 70% through before it clicked with me on how I was supposed to play and pace myself, it's hard to learn that with MP because there aren't many games like it and the game kinda just leaves you to your own devices.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Nope, its underrated, the original should have received a perfect score of 10.0, and it was best game last generation definitely.

Prime 2 deserved a 9.7.

The series is underrated, not so much by the critics, who gave it the highest ranking of any game since 1999 (deservedly so), but by people on this board unfortunately, who would actually place crap (comparatively) like Tales of Symphonia above it.

Avatar image for cookoo4cocopuff
cookoo4cocopuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 cookoo4cocopuff
Member since 2005 • 793 Posts
i agree that metroid prime is pretty overrated but its still really great game.
Superman2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Superman2010
Member since 2006 • 182 Posts
It's not overrated. It's a nice game
inseter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 inseter
Member since 2004 • 858 Posts
i personnally loved the game but i did feel like it was a bit overated... (this is the only game i will ever say this about but) the game was just a little bit too long, it was fun in parts but getting to the end became a chore... it stopped being fun when i had to constantly fight enemies over and over again and treking through twenty areas just to get something that i didn't have the right upgrade to get and didn't make the game any more fun, so... i liked the game, but it was a little overated...
skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#49 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts

I'm ressurrecting this thread since I just gave up on this game today, lol... After getting the morph ball boost chargein the snow area, it said i had to go all the way back to the beginning, to use my new power on a half pipe there. So i trekked back there, got to a new area with my new power, then got the double jump power up. Right after that, it says something about some alien activity (which means a boss fight) in the middle of that snow area (plandora or something), which is where i was JUST at!!!! Grrr!!!!! There aren't even any quick transports from there, you have go through the lava place too just to get there. I was 3-4 hours in the game, but I figured if the rest of the game has this type of pointless, needless, and boring backtracking, yuk, it's not for me!! I don't mind a little bactracking that has purpose, but this was ridiculous! It's been a long time since I played the NES and GB Metroids, but now that I think about it, I remember alot of backtracking in those games too, lol. :-P Yeah, it's mad cool to get a new power up and be able to use it to get somewhere you couldn't before, but they shoulda kept the backtracking to a minimum.

Other than that, I thought the game was pretty good, but definitely way overrated, IMHO.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Right after that, it says something about some alien activity (which means a boss fight) in the middle of that snow area (plandora or something), which is where i was JUST at!!!! Grrr!!!!! There aren't even any quick transports from there, you have go through the lava place too just to get there. skreetpreacha

Give me a break. It will probably take you 3 minutes tops to go back to Phendrana. People overreact about the backtracking. It's like people wish the game led you in a straight linear path with no exploration at all.