• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 maa4208
Member since 2004 • 14543 Posts
While this is probably rare for me, I have to agree with fs_metal, especially with his last paragraph.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
If Archades, the Draklor Laboratory and Bahamut weren't Sci-fi to you, then I really don't see how FF VII is.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
If Archades, the Draklor Laboratory and Bahamut weren't Sci-fi to you, then I really don't see how FF VII is.NWA_31
I gave you a list of reasons why it is sci fi. Bahamut was a massive airship, essentially. I already dealt with the Draklor Labs, but call;ing Archades sci fi is like calling Castle Firago sci fi. FFVII is sci fi. FFXII is not. That is a fact
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MiracleMir
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
no thats an opinion
maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 maa4208
Member since 2004 • 14543 Posts
no thats an opinionMiracleMir
He's right: it is an opinion. I could call FFX "sci-fi" with what I said in one of my earlier posts, and I have that right: it's my opinion and no one is going to coerce me otherwise.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 fs_metal
The setting of the game is a fact, not an opinion.
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MiracleMir
true but your describing the setting as notbeing sci-fi which isyouropinion. I believe flying cars are pretty sci-fi and i dont give a (censored) if you think there just another form of airships. Of course thats my opinion.8)
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 fs_metal
true but your describing the setting as notbeing sci-fi which isyouropinion. I believe flying cars are pretty sci-fi and i dont give a (censored) if you think there just another form of airships. Of course thats my opinion.8)MiracleMir
That doesn't make the setting sci fi. IT's not. It is fantasy. That is a fact
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MiracleMir

Okay here's the definition of opinion-An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment, judgment or evaluation of something. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are either not falsifiable, or the opinion has not been proven or verified. If it later becomes proven or verified, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

Just about the only person who can verify whether or not Archades is relatively sci-fi is it's game designer not you thus making yours, mine and everyone elses OPINIONS on this topic simply that,,,an opinion.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 fs_metal
But the setting is something deffinite. You cannot have an opinion about something deffinite because it is what it is, and FFXII is fantasy
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MiracleMir
your absolutely correct in everything you've said in this last comment
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 NWA_31

I gave you a list of reasons why it is sci fi. Bahamut was a massive airship, essentially. I already dealt with the Draklor Labs, but call;ing Archades sci fi is like calling Castle Firago sci fi. FFVII is sci fi. FFXII is not. That is a factfs_metal

I don't think the fact that Bahamut was an airship really matters, it still doesn't change the fact that we cannot build something like that. Same for Draklor, I don't see how the fact that it was a reference makes it less Sci-Fi.

FFVII may not be set in a medieval world, like most FFs, but it had very little Sci-Fi elements.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I gave you a list of reasons why it is sci fi. Bahamut was a massive airship, essentially. I already dealt with the Draklor Labs, but call;ing Archades sci fi is like calling Castle Firago sci fi. FFVII is sci fi. FFXII is not. That is a factNWA_31

I don't think the fact that Bahamut was an airship really matters, it still doesn't change the fact that we cannot build something like that. Same for Draklor, I don't see how the fact that it was a reference makes it less Sci-Fi.

FFVII may not be set in a medieval world, like most FFs, but it had very little Sci-Fi elements.

WE can't build something like Draklore? Did it ever occur to you that we hafe labs every bit as technilogicvally advanced, if not more so, than that?

As dfor Bahamut, we have massive freakin aircraft carriers that might as well be called floating fortresses. We also have space stations and massive multi storied airplanes, so we aren;'t that far away from achieving something like Bahamut.

FFVII has tons of sci fo elements, like the ones that I listed abover. Your refusal to see them does not make them any less sci fi. Hell, one of the primary sci fi elements is the use of alien material- and a nuclear like substance to create super soldiers. WE CAN'T DO THAT! THAT IS SCI FI

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 NWA_31

WE can't build something like Draklore? Did it ever occur to you that we hafe labs every bit as technilogicvally advanced, if not more so, than that?

As dfor Bahamut, we have massive freakin aircraft carriers that might as well be called floating fortresses. We also have space stations and massive multi storied airplanes, so we aren;'t that far away from achieving something like Bahamut.

FFVII has tons of sci fo elements, like the ones that I listed abover. Your refusal to see them does not make them any less sci fi. Hell, one of the primary sci fi elements is the use of alien material- and a nuclear like substance to create super soldiers. WE CAN'T DO THAT! THAT IS SCI FIfs_metal

Well, Im sorry. I had no idea that we had labs that can build plasma cannons and machines that can make me invincible.

Bahamut wasn't an aircraft carrier nor a space station. Aircraft carriers are ships, not airships and space stations can stay in orbit on their own, because of the lack of gravity in space. Bahamut, on the hand, used advanced technology to float in mid-air, which is not the same thing.

FFVII may be set in a modern world, but they had nothing that we didn't have. Trains, helicopters, reactors...those are all things you can find in our society. As for Mako, it was the sourse of life of the planet, not some alien matter.

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

So now this has become a argument of wether or not ff12 is more sci fi then ff7.............. they are both fiction, they are both fantasy..... sci fi or not. End of story.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"]

FFVII has tons of sci fo elements, like the ones that I listed abover. Your refusal to see them does not make them any less sci fi. Hell, one of the primary sci fi elements is the use of alien material- and a nuclear like substance to create super soldiers. WE CAN'T DO THAT! THAT IS SCI FINWA_31

Well, Im sorry. I had no idea that we had labs that can build plasma cannons and machines that can make me invincible.

Bahamut wasn't an aircraft carrier nor a space station. Aircraft carriers are ships, not airships and space stations can stay in orbit on their own, because of the lack of gravity in space. Bahamut, on the hand, used advanced technology to float in mid-air, which is not the same thing.

FFVII may be set in a modern world, but they had nothing that we didn't have. Trains, helicopters, reactors...those are all things you can find in our society. As for Mako, it was the sourse of life of the planet, not some alien matter.

It's not the same technology, but we have stuff that is that advanced. The machines did not make Dr. Cid invincible. They blocked your attacks toward him. You had to kill them before you could get to them

I was giving you examples showing that we are very close to achieving a flying fortress like Bahamut. Planes use advance techology to do the same thing. Not sci fi.

THEY HAD ALIENS! AND PEOPLE THAT WERE MIXES OF AILENS AND HUMANS! They had weird creatures and experiements that were done with Jenova's cells. Jenova was an alien. Did you read what I typoed or just skim it and go "oph he is wrong"? I mentioned both. That is sci fi dude. FFVII is sci fi. FFXII is fantasy. That is a fact. Argue it all you want. It does not change that it is a fact.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 fs_metal

So now this has become a argument of wether or not ff12 is more sci fi then ff7.............. they are both fiction, they are both fantasy..... sci fi or not. End of story.

ThreeVo
FFVII is not fantasy. It is sci fi
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MiracleMir
What about the stealth camo type thing the sthrawl had. thats pretty sci fi. and don't give me noneof thatabout how we have stealth jets because thats completely different, you couldn't see the ship with the naked eye. And believe it or not, there has been experimentation on humans to make them stronger. In the slave days, slave owners would breed the strongest men with woman to try to make stronger slaves. In the mid 1900's the government injected black males with syphilis without them knowing to gather research in whats called the Tuskegee Experiment. Hitler did genetic experiments trying to create his perfect civilization. Even some recreationaldrugs out there now a days where created in the hopes of making a super soldier. The world is a twisted place and what i spoke of are only instances that we know about.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 fs_metal

What about the stealth camo type thing the sthrawl had. thats pretty sci fi. and don't give me noneof thatabout how we have stealth jets because thats completely different, you couldn't see the ship with the naked eye. And believe it or not, there has been experimentation on humans to make them stronger. In the slave days, slave owners would breed the strongest men with woman to try to make stronger slaves. In the mid 1900's the government injected black males with syphilis without them knowing to gather research in whats called the Tuskegee Experiment. Hitler did genetic experiments trying to create his perfect civilization. Even some recreationaldrugs out there now a days where created in the hopes of making a super soldier. The world is a twisted place and what i spoke of are only instances that we know about.MiracleMir
That wasn't research. IUT was just stupidity. We cannot genetically alter or clone anything. The Jenova project is not possible, not just because it involves an alien.

Teh fact remains that FFXII is fantasy. FFVII is sci fi.

robmarleh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 robmarleh
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Why does fantasy automatically mean medevil?

Surely anything which isn't taken further than imagination is fantasy?

I think should re-classify science fiction to science fantasy maybe that wud clear all this up?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#72 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
Well, I think both VII and XII are fantasy and sci-fi. :|
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 fs_metal

Why does fantasy automatically mean medevil?

Surely anything which isn't taken further than imagination is fantasy?

I think should re-classify science fiction to science fantasy maybe that wud clear all this up?

robmarleh

IT doesn't automatically mean mideval. It doesn't mean sci fi. That is for damn sure. FFXII is not a sci fi game.

IF you were to reclassify science fiction as science fantasy, it sould not stick. Even if it did, it would defeat the purpose of having 2 different classifications anyway,. People that buy fantasy novels know what they are getting, and it ain't sci fi.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 fs_metal
Well, I think both VII and XII are fantasy and sci-fi. :|DJ-Lafleur
IF that was true, then the games would contradict themselves. They cannot be both
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, I think both VII and XII are fantasy and sci-fi. :|fs_metal
IF that was true, then the games would contradict themselves. They cannot be both

Why not? Will all hell break loose if 2 genres were to be mixed?

FF7 had chocobos, magic, a talking wolf,lifestream,a giant ,magical ,destructive meteor, and a bunch of monsters, that's all fantasy.

FF7 also has alien-like creatures, a bunch of scientific experiments that aren't anything you'd see in real life,right now, at least,you fight robots and there's a huge cannon known as the Sister Ray, and these are Sci-fi.

And look at the Wild Arms series, it mixes 3 genres, those being western, sci-fi, and fantasy. So I don't see the problem with a game having more than one genre.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, I think both VII and XII are fantasy and sci-fi. :|DJ-Lafleur

Why not? Will all hell break loose if 2 genres were to be mixed?

FF7 had chocobos, magic, a talking wolf,lifestream,a giant ,magical ,destructive meteor, and a bunch of monsters, that's all fantasy.

FF7 also has alien-like creatures, a bunch of scientific experiments that aren't anything you'd see in real life,right now, at least,you fight robots and there's a huge cannon known as the Sister Ray, and these are Sci-fi.

And look at the Wild Arms series, it mixes 3 genres, those being western, sci-fi, and fantasy. So I don't see the problem with a game having more than one genre.

Because, despite similarities, the 2 are very very different in ALOT of ways
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ThreeVo
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, I think both VII and XII are fantasy and sci-fi. :|fs_metal

Do i ahve to post the defenition of FANTASY again? the proof is in the pudding man, sci-fi can absolutley blend with fantasy, they are one and the same, that is literature fact sir. FF7 was fantasy, theres nothing contrary about it. I seriously dont understand this debate, its going no were and it makes no sence whatsoever, seriously
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ThreeVo
[QUOTE="ThreeVo"]

fs_metal
FFVII is not fantasy. It is sci fi

Science FICTION.... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fiction

Final FANTASY..... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/FANTASY

science fiction
n. A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

this has become rediculous, really

l3erserker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 l3erserker
Member since 2006 • 468 Posts
I see where you are going with this idea of a dislike for the futuristic theme, but a theme doesnt take away from gameplay, it can strengthen it, or make it worse. think of it like that
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DJ-Lafleur

Fantasy and science fiction are not one in the same. IF htey were, there wouldn't even be 2 classifications. FFXII is fantasy. FFVII is sci fi. End of freakijng discussion. I am sick of rpoving you all wrong because yiou are all too prideful and freaking stuck up to admit it yourselvesfs_metal

Too prideful and stuck up? If you want that, then look at your last sentence. :|

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 fs_metal
Well, what do I have to do? IUt should be painfully obvious that FFVII is a much more sci fi game than FFXII is just by looking at the setting and hte scenery. Those 2 things are a LARGE part of what make a game sci fi or not.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 DJ-Lafleur

Well, what do I have to do? IUt should be painfully obvious that FFVII is a much more sci fi game than FFXII is just by looking at the setting and hte scenery. Those 2 things are a LARGE part of what make a game sci fi or not.fs_metal

Well, okay, VII is more Sci-Fi, I guess, but there are still some fantasy elements in VII, and FFXII is more Fantasy than VII, but I still think there is a little bit of Sci-Fi in XII, but not much.

Now that I think about it, this whole topic really isn't that big of a deal, I mean, I'm more concerned about the quality of a game, not category it fits in, but that's just me.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Well, what do I have to do? IUt should be painfully obvious that FFVII is a much more sci fi game than FFXII is just by looking at the setting and hte scenery. Those 2 things are a LARGE part of what make a game sci fi or not.DJ-Lafleur

Well, okay, VII is more Sci-Fi, I guess, but there are still some fantasy elements in VII, and FFXII is more Fantasy than VII, but I still think there is a little bit of Sci-Fi in XII, but not much.

Now that I think about it, this whole topic really isn't that big of a deal, I mean, I'm more concerned about the quality of a game, not category it fits in, but that's just me.

There has always been bits of sci fi in FF. Even FFI had a mech boss and an airship. It is still a fantasy game though
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Well, what do I have to do? IUt should be painfully obvious that FFVII is a much more sci fi game than FFXII is just by looking at the setting and hte scenery. Those 2 things are a LARGE part of what make a game sci fi or not.fs_metal

There has always been bits of sci fi in FF. Even FFI had a mech boss and an airship. It is still a fantasy game though

I suppose, didn't think about that. :|

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Well, what do I have to do? IUt should be painfully obvious that FFVII is a much more sci fi game than FFXII is just by looking at the setting and hte scenery. Those 2 things are a LARGE part of what make a game sci fi or not.DJ-Lafleur

Well, I have stated it before
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Well, what do I have to do? IUt should be painfully obvious that FFVII is a much more sci fi game than FFXII is just by looking at the setting and hte scenery. Those 2 things are a LARGE part of what make a game sci fi or not.fs_metal

Well, I have stated it before

Well, whatever...

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ThreeVo
Well sci-fi is fantasy
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 fs_metal
Well, you are wrong. Sci fi and fantasy are 2 different things
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Shekb
Member since 2005 • 13506 Posts
*Head asplodes*
kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#93 kryu88
Member since 2006 • 9301 Posts

Well, you are wrong. Sci fi and fantasy are 2 different thingsfs_metal

Yeah they are....can't people get that :? They overlap at points, as all genres do, but they are both different in the end....

Avatar image for UntouchableHyer
UntouchableHyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#94 UntouchableHyer
Member since 2006 • 512 Posts
VII is very sci fi, which is good if you like it. Saying XII isnt at all sci fi is dumb because maybe they missed the opening sequence with the flyng ships which resembled that of star wars.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 fs_metal
VII is very sci fi, which is good if you like it. Saying XII isnt at all sci fi is dumb because maybe they missed the opening sequence with the flyng ships which resembled that of star wars.UntouchableHyer
Just because ht airship battles at the begining of FFXII resemble that of Star Wars, it does not mean that hte game is sci fi. It is not./ It is fantasy
Avatar image for UntouchableHyer
UntouchableHyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96 UntouchableHyer
Member since 2006 • 512 Posts

[QUOTE="UntouchableHyer"]VII is very sci fi, which is good if you like it. Saying XII isnt at all sci fi is dumb because maybe they missed the opening sequence with the flyng ships which resembled that of star wars.fs_metal
Just because ht airship battles at the begining of FFXII resemble that of Star Wars, it does not mean that hte game is sci fi. It is not./ It is fantasy

Its definetly a mix, and saying otherwise is just stupid as was that last statement. Because if those airships arent sci fi i dont know what is.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="UntouchableHyer"]VII is very sci fi, which is good if you like it. Saying XII isnt at all sci fi is dumb because maybe they missed the opening sequence with the flyng ships which resembled that of star wars.UntouchableHyer

Its definetly a mix, and saying otherwise is just stupid as was that last statement. Because if those airships arent sci fi i dont know what is.

It has sci fi elements, as does every other Final Fantasy ever created, but it is not a sci fi setting and world. Look at MAss Effect. THAT is sci fi (and amazing sci fi by the looks of it)
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Shekb
Member since 2005 • 13506 Posts
FINALLY !!!!
Every FF has Sci-Fi and Fantasy elements, period, en of topic :lol:
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 fs_metal
Final Fantsy was always about a fantasy game with sci fi elements. FFVII and FFVIII don't even feel like FF because THEY'RE SCI FI not fantasy
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 DJ-Lafleur
Well, they had chocobos, airships, the usual FF enemies such as bombs and cactuars, FF summons like Shiva and Ifrit, and a Cid. VII and VIII werre more Sci-Fi, but they still had the usual FF elements that makes me get that FF feel.