• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GuybrushMI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GuybrushMI
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts
Anybody else besides me doesn't like the futuristic theme? I'm alright with it for one FF game but for 20 years in the same world kind of bothers me, one of the most important things in an FF game for me is exploring and enjoying the world and i'd take Tropical theme (FF10) or medieval (FF9, FF12, etc...) over futuristic theme any day. I understand that SE wants to appeal to those who enjoy futuristic theme also but to make it the be the same world for a long times sucks in my opinion. Anyone feel the same way?
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
I don't really have anything against futuristic-themed games like FF7 and FF8. They provide for variety and fresh air in the series. And, just because it has some futuristic elements it is already too futuristic as to make those who love the classic theme stay away from it. FFVII has Cosmo Canyon and FFVII has Winhill where you can take a little rest, away from the hassles of city life. :P But in the end, it's still just a matter of taste/preference.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Anybody else besides me doesn't like the futuristic theme? I'm alright with it for one FF game but for 20 years in the same world kind of bothers me, one of the most important things in an FF game for me is exploring and enjoying the world and i'd take Tropical theme (FF10) or medieval (FF9, FF12, etc...) over futuristic theme any day. I understand that SE wants to appeal to those who enjoy futuristic theme also but to make it the be the same world for a long times sucks in my opinion. Anyone feel the same way?GuybrushMI

ROFL.

Ok. The onlypolymorphic contentin the franchise that will be around for 20 years is Final Fantasy VII. I think I know where this will eventually go. Now if you're assuming the main franchise will be like that, I think not. The Fabula Nova Crystallis franchise can literally feature anything. The games in Agito, Versus, and Final Fantasy XIII do not take play in the same world. The only thing in common with those games is they fall under a specific mythos.

Fabula Nova Crystallis so far has been seen as a sc-fi/fantasy project with the titles announce. Versus is a little bit interesting especially with the story.Imagine that your country is the only one that has made it to a modern era, but everyone else outside of your borders is stuck in a medevil state. Again the Crystals play a big role in FNC. The hero in Versus is descendant of a royal bloodline that has manage to keep his kingdom's Crystal over centuries, and because of this they have become advanced. But other kingdoms have fallen victim to endless war, and have lost their own Cystals. The only way their world has every advance is through weapons(swords to firearms). And now these ruined Kingdoms want their greedy hands on the last Crystal. But our hero isn't going to give it up so easily.

I'm looking forward to Versus mainly because Nomura said gamers will be able to relate to it's world some what. He wants to bring events we're familiar with in our own world to the magical realm of Versus.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
I do not mind hte idea of a sci fi theme....in a sci fi series. Final Fantasy IS NOT A SCI FI SERIES
RedNEXUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RedNEXUS
Member since 2005 • 4265 Posts
I don't mind what inspires a final fantasy universe. I only care that the world is deep, involving and fun to explore... anything else is just superficial.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

Well, it depends on how fun or how well designed the game is. I don't mind a futuristic game as long as it's fun to play. However, I must admit I was a little skeptical the first time I played FF7, but I gave it a try and it turned out to be amazing. :D

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
Well, it's called Final Fantasy, and so far every FF has had some sort of fantasy-ish look to it that's different from what real-life looks like, so I'm not bothered.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fs_metal
Well, it's called Final Fantasy, and so far every FF has had some sort of fantasy-ish look to it that's different from what real-life looks like, so I'm not bothered.DJ-Lafleur
FFVII and FFVIII (especially the latter) look rather non fantasyish
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NeoGen85

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, it's called Final Fantasy, and so far every FF has had some sort of fantasy-ish look to it that's different from what real-life looks like, so I'm not bothered.fs_metal

The early Final Fantasy games have had a lot of high fantasy themes. But they incorporate a mechanical feel as well.

MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MiracleMir
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
I think what made Final Fantasy 7 a greatgamewas the mix between the futuristic and fantasy elements personally. It hada mature theme, featured a BLACK charecter(bum bum buuuum), and showed poverty in a way that i feel people can connect more to i.e the slums. But I don't think the game was completely futuristic as you still traveled through towns that seemed like they had been hadn't been effected by the advances in science. As a matter of fact the only place(as i can recall) that had the most futuristic theme was midgar. This forum is'nt just about 7 and I realize that but I believe a Final Fantasy should encompas all aspects of life while still giving a great story wich i think 7 did. Unfortunately I never played 8 so I can't comment on that game.
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

I think what made Final Fantasy 7 a greatgamewas the mix between the futuristic and fantasy elements personally. It hada mature theme, featured a BLACK charecter(bum bum buuuum), and showed poverty in a way that i feel people can connect more to i.e the slums. But I don't think the game was completely futuristic as you still traveled through towns that seemed like they had been hadn't been effected by the advances in science. As a matter of fact the only place(as i can recall) that had the most futuristic theme was midgar. This forum is'nt just about 7 and I realize that but I believe a Final Fantasy should encompas all aspects of life while still giving a great story wich i think 7 did. Unfortunately I never played 8 so I can't comment on that game.MiracleMir
LOL u apparently know so much about ff7 and u have never played ff8! did u get into final fantasy after ff7 Advent children or what? if so then thats very unfortunate.

anyway..

There is absolutley nothing wrong with a scifi theme, final fantasy has ALWAYS tapped into the science fiction side, final fantasy 4..... u go to the moon on a rocket ship, sceince fiction if ive ever seen it. This just shows the different aspects that a final fantasy can take place in, ill acrtually go so far to say that it shows more creativity and culture, science fiction can always be rendered in different ways, as opposed to a linear "fail proof" medievil like setting, those are the generic rpgs that dont attempt to go out on the limb.

MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MiracleMir

[QUOTE="MiracleMir"]I think what made Final Fantasy 7 a greatgamewas the mix between the futuristic and fantasy elements personally. It hada mature theme, featured a BLACK charecter(bum bum buuuum), and showed poverty in a way that i feel people can connect more to i.e the slums. But I don't think the game was completely futuristic as you still traveled through towns that seemed like they had been hadn't been effected by the advances in science. As a matter of fact the only place(as i can recall) that had the most futuristic theme was midgar. This forum is'nt just about 7 and I realize that but I believe a Final Fantasy should encompas all aspects of life while still giving a great story wich i think 7 did. Unfortunately I never played 8 so I can't comment on that game.ThreeVo

LOL u apparently know so much about ff7 and u have never played ff8! did u get into final fantasy after ff7 Advent children or what? if so then thats very unfortunate.

anyway..

There is absolutley nothing wrong with a scifi theme, final fantasy has ALWAYS tapped into the science fiction side, final fantasy 4..... u go to the moon on a rocket ship, sceince fiction if ive ever seen it. This just shows the different aspects that a final fantasy can take place in, ill acrtually go so far to say that it shows more creativity and culture, science fiction can always be rendered in different ways, as opposed to a linear "fail proof" medievil like setting, those are the generic rpgs that dont attempt to go out on the limb.

HA ur right I do know a lot about Final Fantasy, you must be pretty smart to be able to tell that without me saying it.The funny thing is that the you chose to quote my message and only pulled out the fact that i never played Final Fantasy 8. I guess you need to have played FF8 to know anything about the series. Forget the fact that I've played ff1,2,4,5,6,7,10,10-2,11,and 12, and tactics, tactics advance and final fantasy adventure. I didnt play FF8 so i must not know anything.Also I played final fantasy 7 backwhen i was8,probly before most people in this union because i'm 18 now. I really wasn't into Advent Children and if I had seen the move before i probly would of never played the game.

anyway...LOL

Now that i'm done with my lifestory and i've already stated my stand ona futuristic themein ff, i'd like to take a moment and ask why people consistantly feel the need to try and diss others on threads meant to discuss a topic. Some, it seems, act like their supperior toothers in the ways of ff. this is laughable and i'm sure there are better things to do with your time. anyways i love FFE and I hope nobody takes this the wrong way. CYA round

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, it's called Final Fantasy, and so far every FF has had some sort of fantasy-ish look to it that's different from what real-life looks like, so I'm not bothered.NeoGen85

The early Final Fantasy games have had a lot of high fantasy themes. But they incorporate a mechanical feel as well.

UIsually only wiat the airships. FFI-VI, FFIX, FFT and FFXII are, in no way, shape or form sci fi
GuybrushMI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GuybrushMI

[QUOTE="GuybrushMI"]Anybody else besides me doesn't like the futuristic theme? I'm alright with it for one FF game but for 20 years in the same world kind of bothers me, one of the most important things in an FF game for me is exploring and enjoying the world and i'd take Tropical theme (FF10) or medieval (FF9, FF12, etc...) over futuristic theme any day. I understand that SE wants to appeal to those who enjoy futuristic theme also but to make it the be the same world for a long times sucks in my opinion. Anyone feel the same way?NeoGen85

do not take play in the same world. The only thing in common with those games is they fall under a specific mythos.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

GuybrushMI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GuybrushMI

I think what made Final Fantasy 7 a greatgamewas the mix between the futuristic and fantasy elements personally. It hada mature theme, featured a BLACK charecter(bum bum buuuum), and showed poverty in a way that i feel people can connect more to i.e the slums. But I don't think the game was completely futuristic as you still traveled through towns that seemed like they had been hadn't been effected by the advances in science. As a matter of fact the only place(as i can recall) that had the most futuristic theme was midgar. This forum is'nt just about 7 and I realize that but I believe a Final Fantasy should encompas all aspects of life while still giving a great story wich i think 7 did. Unfortunately I never played 8 so I can't comment on that game.MiracleMir

Good points.

maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 maa4208
Member since 2004 • 14543 Posts

Since we are talking about a 'sci-fi' theme, I got one for you all, and it involves Star Wars. :lol: I just hope I am right in my reference. :P

This has spoilers, so read it only if you played a good bit of FFX:

[spoiler] Ok, Zanarkand was this 'super awesome' (it's the only way I can think of it. :P Sue me) city 1000 years ago, right? Then it got into that war and blah - blah - blah then Sin showed up and there was more blah and anyway it had to go back to 'primitive' ways. Well, I guess that was Spira in general, but you all can see where I am going with this. Ok, you all know Star Wars, right? How the past was way more technologically advanced than the present? See how I am linking the two? Well go on from there. I just started it for you all. :P [/spoiler]

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, it's called Final Fantasy, and so far every FF has had some sort of fantasy-ish look to it that's different from what real-life looks like, so I'm not bothered.fs_metal

UIsually only wiat the airships. FFI-VI, FFIX, FFT and FFXII are, in no way, shape or form sci fi

FFIV, FFVI and FFXII has a lot of sci-fi themes, not only in the airships, but in the dungeons and other places as well. VII and VIII has a lot of fantasy element in it.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, it's called Final Fantasy, and so far every FF has had some sort of fantasy-ish look to it that's different from what real-life looks like, so I'm not bothered.Fantasy_Gamer

FFIV, FFVI and FFXII has a lot of sci-fi themes, not only in the airships, but in the dungeons and other places as well. VII and VIII has a lot of fantasy element in it.

Smoke crack, you do.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NWA_31
[QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"]

fs_metal

Smoke crack, you do.

Actually, FG's right. A rocket to the moon, Magiteks and the Draklor laboratory... those things aren't really what I consider "medieval".

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DJ-Lafleur

Yes, and when I was saying fantasy, I was talking about things you don't see in real life. I might be crazy, but I've never seen a knights,ninjas, magic users, or dragoons going on the moon in real life, normagitek armor, swords as big as people, airships, dragons, summons, chocobos, walkind cacti, moogles, humans with monkey tails, ect.

every FF has some sort of fantasy like stuff in it, and it's called Final Fantasy, so I'm fine even if they made a FF game medievil or sci-fi or whatever.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"]

NWA_31

Smoke crack, you do.

Actually, FG's right. A rocket to the moon, Magiteks and the Draklor laboratory... those things aren't really what I consider "medieval".

IT wasn't a rocket. IT was an airship, and Draklor is FFXII man. None the less, smoke crack he does
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NeoGen85

Yes, and when I was saying fantasy, I was talking about things you don't see in real life. I might be crazy, but I've never seen a knights,ninjas, magic users, or dragoons going on the moon in real life, normagitek armor, swords as big as people, airships, dragons, summons, chocobos, walkind cacti, moogles, humans with monkey tails, ect.

every FF has some sort of fantasy like stuff in it, and it's called Final Fantasy, so I'm fine even if they made a FF game medievil or sci-fi or whatever.

DJ-Lafleur

Haha. That sounds kind of funny. Knights, and ninja's going to the moon.

Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shekb
Member since 2005 • 13506 Posts
[QUOTE="NWA_31"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"]

fs_metal

Smoke crack, you do.

IT wasn't a rocket. IT was an airship, and Draklor is FFXII man. None the less, smoke crack he does

Right, we have A LOT of airships that fly to the moon »_»
«_«

[spoiler] We don't have any [/spoiler]
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="NWA_31"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"]

Shekb

Smoke crack, you do.

Right, we have A LOT of airships that fly to the moon »_»
«_«

[spoiler] We don't have any [/spoiler]

Airships have always been a common theme in Final Fantasy. IT does not make it sci fi
maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 maa4208
Member since 2004 • 14543 Posts
Airships have always been a common theme in Final Fantasy. IT does not make it sci fifs_metal
But one going to the moon? Yeah, they are common, but thats not. I can see how it could be sci-fi. it may not be overly sci-fi, but it has elements and you have to at least acknowledge that.
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shekb
It may be common in Final Fantasy, but not in real life :P

And it's quite obvious that every (almost) FF has a sci-fi AND fantasy theme
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Airships have always been a common theme in Final Fantasy. IT does not make it sci fimaa4208
But one going to the moon? Yeah, they are common, but thats not. I can see how it could be sci-fi. it may not be overly sci-fi, but it has elements and you have to at least acknowledge that.

You know we went to the moon freakin 40 years ago, right? Yeah. Not sci fi. Ships that go to the moon? Reality.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fs_metal

It may be common in Final Fantasy, but not in real life :P

And it's quite obvious that every (almost) FF has a sci-fi AND fantasy themeShekb

No. fantasy theme with sci fi elements. That's all. That's it. It is a fantasy series. It shouldh ave stayed a fantasy series. Anything else just does not feel right

Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shekb
[QUOTE="maa4208"][QUOTE="fs_metal"]Airships have always been a common theme in Final Fantasy. IT does not make it sci fifs_metal

You know we went to the moon freakin 40 years ago, right? Yeah. Not sci fi. Ships that go to the moon? Reality.

This is REALLY debatable, I don't believe anyone could actually went, besides, it still is Sci-fi, concidering "we went" on "the moon" only once...... and now we're afraid to go in space, we stay in the stratosphere
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NWA_31

You know we went to the moon freakin 40 years ago, right? Yeah. Not sci fi. Ships that go to the moon? Reality.fs_metal

You do have a point, but in that case, FFVII and VIII weren't sci-fi either, right ?

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]You know we went to the moon freakin 40 years ago, right? Yeah. Not sci fi. Ships that go to the moon? Reality.NWA_31

You do have a point, but in that case, FFVII and VIII weren't sci-fi either, right ?

No. There were many sci fi elements to those games. The setting in particular. Do we have multiplayered cities? Nope. Ergo. FFVII is sci fi. With VIII, I shouldn't even have to explain

Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shekb
I think you misunderstood XD
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fs_metal
I misunderstood nothing. FFVII and FFVIII are sci fi. FFI through FFVI,. FFIX and FFXII are not sci fi
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ThreeVo
I do not mind hte idea of a sci fi theme....in a sci fi series. Final Fantasy IS NOT A SCI FI SERIESfs_metal

One thing needs to be made clear here

SCI-FI and FANTASY are not opposites!

Science fiction IS fantasy.... quite frankly with a game thats titled Final fantasy, it can do whatever it wants or sees fit. There is nothing wrong with having sci fi themes in a final fantasy, and never at any point was final fantasy supposed to "stay" the way they "were"

If u dont like sci fi themes then fine, thats how this topic originated, but if your going to attempt to say that Final Fantasy is NOT a sci- fi game than your just prematurley judging its concepts based on what their early games were based around.

Final FANTASY (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fantasy) can have 3 headed dragons with wizards and Mages just as much as a flying spaceship that transforms into a huge galactic fighting robot and EVERYTHING inbetween, please stop hating.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I do not mind hte idea of a sci fi theme....in a sci fi series. Final Fantasy IS NOT A SCI FI SERIESThreeVo

One thing needs to be made clear here

SCI-FI and FANTASY are not opposites!

Science fiction IS fantasy.... quite frankly with a game thats titled Final fantasy, it can do whatever it wants or sees fit. There is nothing wrong with having sci fi themes in a final fantasy, and never at any point was final fantasy supposed to "stay" the way they "were"

If u dont like sci fi themes then fine, thats how this topic originated, but if your going to attempt to say that Final Fantasy is NOT a sci- fi game than your just prematurley judging its concepts based on what their early games were based around.

Final FANTASY (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fantasy) can have 3 headed dragons with wizards and Mages just as much as a flying spaceship that transforms into a huge galactic fighting robot and EVERYTHING inbetween, please stop hating.

Sci fi and fantasy are similar in alot of ways, but they are not, never have been and never wilkl be one and the same.
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shekb
Sci-fi is a sub-genre of Fantasy actually......
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fs_metal
No not really. If it was, one would have deffinitely existed longer than the other, and both have been arround about the same ammount of time
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MiracleMir
wow, have you been around long enough to actually know that.
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThreeVo
Sci-fi is a sub-genre of Fantasy actually......Shekb
Yep. exaclty
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shekb
Fantasy has been around forever
Most religions are fantasy :P
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DJ-Lafleur
As I've been saying, The game is called Final Fantasy, and each FF has had fantasy-like objects and beings in them, some more than others, sure,so I really see no issue here.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fs_metal
wow, have you been around long enough to actually know that.MiracleMir
'No. I just actually attended my classes in high school
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MiracleMir
really, so which class told you that the word sci-fi has been around just as long as fantasy. that teacher needs to get fired. and i love the fact that you try to down me by insinuating i didn't attend my high school classes. your soooo cool.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NWA_31

What kind of high-school is that ? Fantasy has been around since the Antiquity, maybe even before that. Science Fiction emerged during the 19th century.

And for your info, FF XII has much more Sci-Fi elements than VII.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DJ-Lafleur

What kind of high-school is that ? Fantasy has been around since the Antiquity, maybe even before that. Science Fiction emerged during the 19th century.

NWA_31

Yup, Archades has much more Sci-fi elements than anything I've seen from VII.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fs_metal

NWA_31

My high school actually had classes specifically centered arround reading fantasy and sci fi novels and short stories. We read Childhoods End, for one, as well as a number of stories by HP Lovecraft (he is awesome)

FFXII does not have alot mroe sci fi elements. IT has ALOT less. What are you smoking

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fs_metal
[QUOTE="NWA_31"]

DJ-Lafleur

Yup, Archades has much more Sci-fi elements than anything I've seen from VII.

Nuclear reactor type things. Aliens. Advanced technology. Various types of ships, including one meant to go into space. A large holographic machine mapping the universe. Massive reactors. Layered cities. FFVII has tons more sci fi elements than FFXII does. Anyhone that disagrees is fooling themselves
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NWA_31

Nuclear reactor type things. Aliens. Advanced technology. Various types of ships, including one meant to go into space. A large holographic machine mapping the universe. Massive reactors. Layered cities. FFVII has tons more sci fi elements than FFXII does. Anyhone that disagrees is fooling themselvesfs_metal

Those are all things you can find in our modern society (Except for the aliens and layered city thing). FFXII, on the other hand, had cities with flying "cars", flying fortresses, floating cities and the Draklor Laboratory.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Nuclear reactor type things. Aliens. Advanced technology. Various types of ships, including one meant to go into space. A large holographic machine mapping the universe. Massive reactors. Layered cities. FFVII has tons more sci fi elements than FFXII does. Anyhone that disagrees is fooling themselvesNWA_31

Those are all things you can find in our modern society (Except for the aliens and layered city thing). FFXII, on the other hand, had cities with flying "cars", flying fortresses, floating cities and the Draklor Laboratory.

Those flying cars were just another type of airship, which is nothing new to FF.

The Draklor was, in many ways, a reference to FFVI.

There was a floating castle on FFI. It's not sci fi.

The floating city was surrounded by crystals, giving it a purely fantasy appearance. Furhtermore, it featured a castle, which is fantasy, and mines with a bit of a midevial to the steqam age look, which is deffinitely NOT sci fi

Ergo, FFVII is far, far, far more sci fi than FFXII. FFXII is fantasy with sci fi elements, just like the first 6. FFVII is sci fi with some fantasy elements.