gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

My time, 'tween RE5 and The Pitt, I'm sharing.

for a rhyme, I'll do some comparing.

Pitt's setting is rusty,

while Kijuju is dusty.

For both games each new costume rocks.

Both make an impression with each gaming session

In my dreams, I use V.A.T.S. on some crocs.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#52 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

It's too hot for rhyming today, can't think straight. But since it's been a while since I posted anything in here I'll just give things a quick run-down.

I finished Final Fantasy III on DS... love it, love it, love it. Still reckon it's one of the best early FFs.

I completed Hotel Dusk: Room 215, found it pretty meh overall. Maybe I've been spoilt by adventure games over the years, stuff like this doesn't hold a candle to the point 'n' click tales of yesteryear.

I'm currently training my brain with Dr. Kawashima. Huh. Turns out my brain age is 22 to begin with (my real age plus a mere 2 months) which suggests either that I'm rather sprightly in the cerebral areas, or that this game sucks. Oh well, I bought it on a whim anyway and at least it's taught me how to do sudoku without spraining my frontal lobe.

Infinite Undiscovery is on indefinite hold until I have more free time, so I can really sit down and spend hours with the thing, like all big story-based games deserve.

In the meantime, I've been playing through Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and of course I'm attempting 100% as I've done with previous Lego games. Since I've already played both LSW installments on PS2 several years back it's been quite easy overall, but it's still the best Lego game yet. In my humble opinion, of course.

I've also played a couple of games of Scene It? Box Office Smash, one on my own and one with a workmate. It's much less annoying than the first one, features a better range of films and gives me ample opportunity to show off around less-informed film buffs. On a downer, turns out the receiver for the big buzzer pads I got with the first Scene It? is somehow busted. Used to work fine, now it's useless. Ah well, standard controllers work well enough for now. Anyone up for a game over XBL?

I reckon that's it for now... :)

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts

I've also played a couple of games of Scene It? Box Office Smash, one on my own and one with a workmate. It's much less annoying than the first one, features a better range of films and gives me ample opportunity to show off around less-informed film buffs. On a downer, turns out the receiver for the big buzzer pads I got with the first Scene It? is somehow busted. Used to work fine, now it's useless. Ah well, standard controllers work well enough for now. Anyone up for a game over XBL?

I reckon that's it for now... :)

totalgridlock
The trouble I have with the receiver is that sometimes it doesn't pick up when I am pressing the buttons, but that could be down to some drunken gaming on Christmas day. Just easier to use standard controllers less hassle.
Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55 Mamba219
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts
[QUOTE="totalgridlock"]

I finished Final Fantasy III on DS... love it, love it, love it. Still reckon it's one of the best early FFs.

gakon5

I was into FF3 until I reached the dungeon with all the self-dividing enemies. As I understand it, I either had to get a special anti-split weapon or make all my characters into Dragoons? I don't even know. Still playing Digital Devil Saga 2. I'm still enjoying it, but I can't get over some of the more punishing parts. For example, there's nowhere in the game you can refill your HP/SP for free, other than one place in the game's hub, which is only easily accessable in between dungeon crawls. Otherwise you have to spend a good chunk of money to refill your party's mana. On top of that, it's money I need to be spending on mantras, which are basically jobs that unlock a set of skills. There are many different job paths (fire magic, buffs, heals, etc), which drastically increase in price as you move up the tiers. I guess the game doesn't expect you to always be purchasing new mantras as soon as you've mastered current ones; the final tiers for each skill type reach 25,000 yen in price; I have something like 2000. I haven't a clue how long the game is however, so maybe there's still lots of time to get money. Edit: clearly I haven't played this game in two weeks (which was the case until today); I actually had 25,000 in cash, which is enough to buy two mantras, but then you haven't any money left over for items or healing.

Couple things...

If DDS2 is anything like DDS1, the high level mantras will be more like 1,500,000 as opposed to 25,000. Macca will only become easier to get if you can find enemies to easily farm cells off of. Also you should never be buying items for healing because you need all that macca to spend on either reusable items or mantra. But always spend the money at stations in order to heal yourself, at least until you get Chakra Walk.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 totalgridlock
[QUOTE="totalgridlock"]

gakon5

I was into FF3 until I reached the dungeon with all the self-dividing enemies. As I understand it, I either had to get a special anti-split weapon or make all my characters into Dragoons? I don't even know.

Dark Blades stop the dividing. Or you could just use magic and wipe 'em out :twisted:

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Mamba219
Had to check the Mantra Grid on GameFAQs to see for myself... and skillsets do indeed cap at 1.5M. That's depressing; where do you even get that kind of money? I'm sitting on around 30K after selling some flowers. I was just playing the game, and then I stopped, because... 1. Had to watch unskippable 5min cutscene to attempt a boss. 2. Finished said boss second try. 3. Didn't make the several-minute trek backwards to save. 4. No save point going forward for 20 mins. 5. Died to a special encounter of dudes that continually Maragidyne you I think. 6. Lost all progress for today. A lot of things about this game frustrate me. Maybe it's my own fault for not being hard-core enough. Wild ARMs 4 did this a lot too; no save points when you really need them, like after finishing a major encounter. Also, I have no idea what Macca is. Or cells. Macca is money? I thought it was yen. I haven't been spending money on items; just healing.gakon5

Ok, they might have removed cells from DDS2, from what I understand the game takes place in the "real world" and not the Junkyard, but I assume there's something comprable, something that sells for a high price (flowers, maybe?). Macca was the currency in DDS1, it might be yen in DDS2 for the same reason. Anyway that in mind, there will probably be some enemies later in the game which either drop a lot of money or drop whatever it is that sells for a lot of money. Money will still probably be a bit of an issue though still since you're still trying to pick up mantra for 5 characters. Don't worry though, I'm on my second playthrough of DDS1, and the mantra grid carries over, and I've basically beaten the game twice and I STILL haven't maxed out the grid, not even for Serph.

Yeah, after playing...several RPGs where the problems plaguing you became a problem, I've gotten in the habit of never trusting what might lie ahead in games and always play really conservatively. I suppose that's bad in some ways as it sure racks up the end game clock, but otherwise it saves a lot of time especially in DDS style games where  certain enemy combinations can easily wipe you out.

jollyroger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#60 jollyroger78
Member since 2005 • 2551 Posts

I have spent most of the last week playing Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust (X360).  I wish I hadn't.  It...is...awful.  I can live with bad sound, bad graphics, glitchiness, and a stupid premise.  What I can't live with is broken controls and/or spastic cameras.  This game has them all in excess.  The people look like puppets from Genesis' "Land of Confusion" video, the voice acting often sounds as though the talent was in another room when it was recorded, and the game is a Leisure Suit Larry title in name only...these, I could deal with.  But the fact that Larry ignores what you tell him to do about 30% of the time and the camera has a mind of it's own (for example, changing angles three times in less than two seconds with nary a button press from me) makes the game pretty much unplayable.

And yet, I press on.  Why, you ask?  Well, I tried a couple of other games and they just didn't stick for me.  I've got Dead Space waiting, so that might be the magic bullet.  I also seem to take masochistic pride in my ability to play bad games to their  completion.  And this game certainly qualifies as bad.

I only officially rate games after I complete them, but I'm going to make an exception here.  I give it half a point because some of the levels and other background graphics look ok.  And since I can't give it a 0.5 on here, it gets a 1.5.  Ugh...

jollyroger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#62 jollyroger78
Member since 2005 • 2551 Posts

Man...my calling this "The Rhyme Edition" seems to have killed this thread (with the possible exception of our resident Laureate, gmsnpr...). At any rate:

I have almost finished the abomination that is Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust (X360). I have exactly one of the 100 trophies left to find before I finish the game and three of the last four achievements. Then a speed run where I knock out the story in less eight hours will give me the final achievement and another garbage title to add to my 1000/1000 list.

Of course, this has all been delayed by my tossing Dead Space (X360) in on a whim. Wow...I love this game. I mean LOVE this game. I've never had a game where I actually don't mind dying before. When it took me no less than four tries to figure out how to get past the centrifuge, I actually didn't mind. I can find nothing wrong with this game (with the possible exception of a lack of enemy variety, but even that fits with the story...plus, I'm only four chapters in).

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 gmsnpr

Silent Hill: Homecoming is

one really dark game-Gee Whiz.

The lights are all out,

and thick fog is about.

Alright, you try rhyming "is".

Also, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is a very faithful recreation of the games (Sonic Spinball, Fatal Labyrinth) that I've spent time playing.

Resident Evil 5 is holding up really well to repeat playthroughs.  I challenge anyone here to beat the game in under 4 hours.  It takes some doing.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I've been continuing to play Okami lately. It didn't end at the point where I expected it to end, which was an interesting surprise. :)

Unfortunately, once you get to this point the brush techniques don't always work as intended. I wanted to cause a tree to bloom, not make wind! I guess I have to be a bit more careful with my brushwork.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 gmsnpr

I've been continuing to play Okami lately. It didn't end at the point where I expected it to end, which was an interesting surprise. :)

Unfortunately, once you get to this point the brush techniques don't always work as intended. I wanted to cause a tree to bloom, not make wind! I guess I have to be a bit more careful with my brushwork.

LordAndrew
That is basically my experience with the game, too. I would like to get back to it at some point, though.
hart704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#67 hart704
Member since 2004 • 2994 Posts
Played a bunch of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon a few days ago. Very close to the end, but don't have enough potions to take on either boss that's available. I've started, but have hardly touched Half-Life 2 on the Orange Box. This is probably because I played the hell out of it initially on the PC. The Ninja Warriors was finished not too long ago. I really need to find that game for myself. I also showed how much of a Bad Dude that I am.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 gmsnpr

I shaved another 30 minutes off of my Normal mode clear time on RE5, which brings me to under 3 hours, 30 minutes. I thought that was a pretty good time until I took a look at the leaderboard. First, Pika's got me beat by 40 minutes (nicely done, btw), and second, the number one spot time is about an hour. I'm hustling to finish in 3:30; apparently killing the bad guys is the mistake that I make. I should just haul ass for the exit every time, shooting only the enemies that I can't avoid.

Also, I tried out Street Fighter IV some last night, and turned on the "challenge me anytime" setting in Arcade mode. I must have lost a step in SF IV, b/c I had my ass handed to me by some nice folks for a few hours last night and this morning. And, some of the few that I did manage to beat disconnected before the win registered. Nice move, tools. I have managed to finish the game with Sagat and Ryu on Medium thus far. Now I'm working on learning Crimson Viper, and after that wiill be El Fuerte.

My thumb hurts.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LordAndrew
And Okami is done. I should have a blog up some time today or tomorrow.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#70 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I was in NYC, during which time I went to Nintendo World, which was pretty AWE-SOME! Game buying was pretty sparse, but I was there to sightsee and spend time with family, not just to game. I played a lot of Henry Hatsworth (DS), which is a blast!
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 gmsnpr

I picked up Raiden Fighters Aces and had some fun with all three of the games on the disk, though the "ever larger mobile platform" theme to the bosses and midbosses is a little crazy. No country in their right minds would make a tank the size of a city a part of their military. You'd never be able to hide the thing, and no matter what the power plant was, it's move at a snail's pace, making destruction of said platform assured and very easy. But I digress. I blew up a bunch of stuff, YAY!

Also, I've played through all the levels of LEGO Indiana Jones in story mode, and am now replaying in Free Play to snag the many artifacts and parcels in the game. It's not bad, but the cast of memorable characters is a lot shorter than for LEGO Star Wars. At first, I didn't know Alfred Molina's character's name from Raiders was. It is Satipo. Repeat that about 45 times for everybody below the recognition level of Short Round and Mola Ram, and you've got the cast of LEGO Indiana Jones. I've run into a snag, though. It seems that I cannot get one of the artifacts from Raiders. My artifact detector is turned on, and it shows a big green arrow where the thing is supposed to be, but no amount of on-screen manipulation has gotten the artifact to appear. I remember a similar problem in the last stage of LEGO Star Wars on the Emperor's level. Traveler's Tales QA is leaving a bit to be desired.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 totalgridlock

The latest game I've been playing is Rise of the Argonauts on 360.  It really didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but despite what the naysayers say its not bad at all.  I'm a total sucker for classical mythology though and I do count Jason and the Argonauts amongst my favourite films of all time... so perhaps I'm biased.  Too talky overall (although the dialogue system was quite good -- like a less refined version of Mass Effect's) and much too short.  But the combat is bloody and brutal and, well, it's not a bad way to spend one's holiday :)

I also broke out Oblivion again.  I was going to replay Morrowind for the nth time but couldn't get the darn thing to run properly (I love the game, but it's buggier than a roomful of entomologists).  So I took it's big, dull oaf of a brother out for a spin. I'm enjoying killing everybody I meet in cruel and unusual ways.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 gmsnpr

I logged several hours of Fallout 3 this week/end and have now started Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.  It's funny thus far, in a self-referential videogame culture way.  Will Arnett voices the main character.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 gmsnpr

My parents came for a visit just after my trip to CA and one evening I broke out Scene It: Lights, etc. to play with them.  It ws pretty fun, and we played through a full three rounds before stopping for the night.  There are several variations of the trivia questions, most of which are fun.  The one variety that none of us cared for was the anagrams, because the game keeps rearranging the letters.  I like anagrams that are immobile (like I MOM BILE).  Other than that, it's a good game and I'll probably pick up the next edition at some point, especially since I've already got the buzzers.

In addition, I've played maybe 12 hours into Blue Dragon.  It's grindy, but it's also technically robust and the characters are endearing.  It doesn't have as many avenues of character advancement as Grandia Xtreme (which I think perfected that aspect of the RPG), but it does employ a very good job system akin to FF Tactics that I like a lot.  I don't know how far into the story I've gotten, but I've just returned to my starting village for the first time and I'm still on Disk 1, so I bet I'm not very far into it. 

Oh, I almost forgot:

Hitching my wagon 
to the game Blue Dragon
has certainly provided some thills.
I like the Shadows and the art,
even the frequent combat part;
beating the bosses requires some skills.   

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 totalgridlock

I love Scene It. My main hobby aside from gaming is watching and collecting movies so I'm a bit of a film buff (even if I do say so myself).  The second game is much better than the first IMO, the questions have a much broader scope and the voice over guy is less annoying.

So anyway, lately I've been playing some more Oblivion. I borrowed Shivering Isles from a mate and I must say I'm enjoying the added content more than the main game - probably because it's a bit weird and is more Morrowindy to these eyes.  I'm also enjoying the Monkey Island remake on 360 ("Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!") as well as odd snatches of Puzzle Quest and Guitar Hero Metallica (not overly impressed to be honest, as I'm not a huge fan of many of the other artists featured and the choice of Metallica tracks is a bit off to me).  And my airport/plane/hotel game has been Worms Open Warfare 2 on DS.  Worms rocks, plain and simple.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 LordAndrew

Since I beat Persona 4, I've been trying to decide what to play next.

I haven't decided quite yet, but I'm going to be out of town for the next few days, so I guess it'll be portable gaming for me. :)

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#77 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

The latest game I've been playing is Rise of the Argonauts on 360.  It really didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but despite what the naysayers say its not bad at all.  I'm a total sucker for classical mythology though and I do count Jason and the Argonauts amongst my favourite films of all time... so perhaps I'm biased.  Too talky overall (although the dialogue system was quite good -- like a less refined version of Mass Effect's) and much too short.  But the combat is bloody and brutal and, well, it's not a bad way to spend one's holiday :)

I also broke out Oblivion again.  I was going to replay Morrowind for the nth time but couldn't get the darn thing to run properly (I love the game, but it's buggier than a roomful of entomologists).  So I took it's big, dull oaf of a brother out for a spin. I'm enjoying killing everybody I meet in cruel and unusual ways.

totalgridlock

The concept was pretty hip for Rise of the Argonauts, the problem spanned from the developers trying to extend the length of the game with fetch quests that required me to go from one end of the map to the other to get item X for person Y. 

I played it longer then I normally would have because the Mythology aspect is uper cool but it quickly found its home on the Xbox 360 wall.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LordAndrew
Lately I've been playing a lot of Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. I'm getting really close to 100% completion.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 gmsnpr

I am on disc 3 of Blue Dragon and realized from a FAQ that I missed some important items. I'm going to be heading back to a previous save before I go forward any more.

Also, I played a couple rounds of G. Darius on PS1 to make sure my new PSOne worked. Good game.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 gmsnpr

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad.  Don't laugh, the combat system is WAAAAAY deeper and more precision-oriented than I would have ever thought, based on the subject matter and avatars.  There are some enemies that you have to beat with a certain type of combo that requires exquisite timing, which is strongly affected by how bloody your sword is.  There's a practice mode to improve your skills.

Now, there's also a dress-up mode where you put skimpy clothes on the characters (or remove everything but their skivvies), so I'm not saying it's GOTY material, but the gameplay depth continues to shock me.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 gmsnpr
Morrowind. I am on the cutting edge of gaming, obviously. Batman: Arkham Asylum and Demon's Souls sit unopened on my shelf while I explore the Ashlands. This is my first playthrough ever, actually, and I'm about 30 hours deep in it. Just joined a Great House. There's a lot that I'd like Bethesda to resurrect in ES V that was removed in the transition to Oblivion, but I'm not such an Elder Scrolls wonk that I think Oblivion is a poor game by any stretch of the imagination. It's different, though, and certainly simpler.
Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#82 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts

Morrowind. I am on the cutting edge of gaming, obviously. Batman: Arkham Asylum and Demon's Souls sit unopened on my shelf while I explore the Ashlands. This is my first playthrough ever, actually, and I'm about 30 hours deep in it. Just joined a Great House. There's a lot that I'd like Bethesda to resurrect in ES V that was removed in the transition to Oblivion, but I'm not such an Elder Scrolls wonk that I think Oblivion is a poor game by any stretch of the imagination. It's different, though, and certainly simpler.gmsnpr

I have to agree with all that.

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 inkwolf
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts

Yeah, Morrowind is awesome. I've played several hours into it (perhaps about 30?) a few years ago, and although I'm sure I came nowhere near to beating it, I really want to go back and play through the whole thing. I remember that just a few hours into the game I explored into a cavern (that had nothing to do with any mission I was on, it was just on a whim) and found a wand with unlimited charges of a levetation spell; that made getting around SUPER easy. It was so awesome finding that.

I'm actually doing a bit of pseudo retro fantasy RPG playing right now as well. I'm playing through the original Neverwinter Nights campaign (with a ranger). Again, I played this game (about two chapters in) a few years ago, but like Morrowind, never even came close to finishing it. I'm hoping to make it through this time...

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 inkwolf

OK, I'm still playing Neverwinter Nights, but I've also cracked open Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? (PSP) which I must say, is rather good. I've already "beaten" the main story, and the Asagi side-story, but there's even more stuff to collect, and also another set of levels I haven't unlocked yet, so there's still a lot left to play (which is why I'm not posting this in the "Victory" thread). The stages themselves are kind of hum-drum, but the boss fights, genuinely humorous script, and wonderful characters (witness my updated signature) are what truly make the game shine. The game has strong replay value in that you choose which order you want to play the first six levels, and this choice determines the level layout, boss battles, dialogue, and item collected from completing the level. Despite these differences, the levels still play very similar to thier other permutations, but I find that it's easily worth the trouble due to the different dialogue you get before and after every boss battle. Great game.

One more thing... I've recently downloaded all of the PSP demos from pspdemocenter.com (which I recommend if your PSP memory card is feeling kind empty) and I suggest checking out the demo for Hitman Reborn 2 (links to download page). It's a Japanese demo, but a fighting game, so you don't need to understand the language to have fun with it. The graphics are pretty darn impressive and it's also quite fun. Here's a youtube gameplay video if you're curious (does not do it justice, the game looks way better on the PSP screen).

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 gmsnpr

After a combination of too many Morrowind hangs and accidentally convincing all the Ordinators in Vivec to attack me on sight, I've decided to restart the game on PC and avoid wearing Ordinator armor in the future when I talk to them.

I've filled the console gaming void with Dragon Age Origins, which I find to be an enormous letdown.  It's probably because I'm coming off of two pretty long playthroughs of 1.) Fallout 3 with all five expansions and 2.) Morrowind, but Dragon Age seems very shallow.  As a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, it works, and even expands on BG in nice ways, but I was looking for something more from Bioware, I guess.

For example, I've gotten used to (in my recent Bethesda gaming) killing baddies and being able to do whatever I want with the baddy-accurate gear their corpse still has (sell it, equip it, drop it down a hole).  However, in Dragon Age, I can kill a room full of heavily armed knights and maybe half of them will yield any items at all.  These items may or may not be related to the gear their quickly-degrading corpses appear to still have.  This is bizarrely unrealistic and in a game where I constantly feel strapped for cash, frustrating.

Also, I bought the steelbook edition of the game and the hardback guide, so I was about $105 invested in the game before I opened the game.  And, since I had the points, I  went ahead and bought the $7 Warden's Keep DLC from the "handy" title screen hawker before I even started the game, all of this based on Bioware's good name.  Then, I started playing the game and consulting the guide, which has fully fleshed-out sections detailing all the DLC that launched alongside the game.  Could they seem more mercenary?  There's a pretty good Penny Arcade comic from last week that touches on this nicely.

So, in summary: I spent big on Dragon Age before I knew it whether I liked it and I do not.  Fool me twice, shame on me, EA.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#86 Hizang
Member since 2009 • 2808 Posts

Well Ive got alot of new games reccently so I suppose I'm just ploughing through them. I reccently picked up Uncharted 2 so I'm going through that. The story is really good and there was a plot twist at the begging that I wasn't expecting and then tere was another one later on that turned out not to be a plot twist...Genoius! I'm gonna start banjo-Tooie again soon as I've reccently completed Banjo-Kazooie. I'm plying through them again out of enjoyment but also in preperation for when I do a Let's Play on them.

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 inkwolf

My wife bought me Brutal Legend while she was out shopping on black Friday. She enjoyed watching the demo so much she wanted to see the rest of the game. (Oh how I love her.) Anyway, I've been playing that and beat it last night on normal difficulty. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would after the post-release feedback the game received. Still, they could have done a much better job explaining to the player what was expected of them at the points where the gameplay changes up. Not done with it yet though... I'm a completist and just have to find every last dragon statue they put in there. Plus, I think I'll run through the game again on easy and/or hard just to see the story again. That part was fantastic.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Hizang

My wife bought me Brutal Legend while she was out shopping on black Friday. She enjoyed watching the demo so much she wanted to see the rest of the game. (Oh how I love her.) Anyway, I've been playing that and beat it last night on normal difficulty. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would after the post-release feedback the game received. Still, they could have done a much better job explaining to the player what was expected of them at the points where the gameplay changes up. Not done with it yet though... I'm a completist and just have to find every last dragon statue they put in there. Plus, I think I'll run through the game again on easy and/or hard just to see the story again. That part was fantastic.

inkwolf

Is it funny as people say, is it more British humor?

inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 inkwolf

Is it funny as people say, is it more British humor?Hizang

Yes, it's legitimately funny. I played through most of the game while my wife and and friend of ours watched on and we were all cracking up. However, I would say there are more laughs-per-minute in the first half of the game as opposed to the second half. Also, I would bet that the more familiar you are with the subject matter, the more you'll laugh at it.

I wouldn't call it British humor ... seeing as Tim Schafer is American.

I was more concerned that the gameplay would bring the game down; and although it certainly isn't anything to write home about, it wasn't as bad as what I was hearing. The game's "stage battles" and multiplayer matches are so easily comparable to an RTS, but it suffers from that comparison. If you go into those parts of the game expecting it to control and "feel" like an RTS, not only will you be disappointed, you may even be offended. But if you treat it as it's own unique thing, you might find some fun in it.

But as I said before, the game could have done a better job of conveying the finer points of how to control your units and what not. If you rely on assumptions you can get tripped up.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Mamba219

Well, I'm here, surprisingly. Might as well post!

The main game that has been dominating my life the past couple of months has been NBA 2K10. This game is unbelievably addicting and I can't believe I never played a sports game before it. There is just an absolute ton of content in the game, which never really gets old if you play it correctly.

The main mode which has been inhaling my life is "My Player" mode. In this mode, you create a basketballer from scratch, determining things like height, weight, appearance, and, most importantly, position and playstyle. You start out awful and any progress you make is, quite simply, pure skill on the player's part, as your in-game avatar, at least for the first 20 or so games you play in, is pretty much awful.

Your guy starts out in the NBA summer league, randomly assigned to a team. If you do well in that, you can be invited to an NBA training camp (if you do extremely well, you will get invitations from every team in the league). Choosing the training camp is important because it chooses which team you will end up on. If you do well in training camp, you make the team, and the game plays like a regular NBA season from then on.

Throughout, you only have control over your character. This is pretty frustrating at first because your character is pretty lousy stat-wise and in order to get passed to more often and therefore make more of an impact, you need to do well each and every time you get the ball. Once you prove yourself, you get passed to nearly constantly and can really make your mark in games.

My player is based on my all-time favorite player: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. As such he's a back-to-basket style Center who excels at shooting from the post. Since Kareem began his NBA career with the Milwaukee Bucks, that's where I've ended up. Anyone who follows basketball knows that the Bucks are a pretty miserable team, consistently having a losing record. Since Kareem came to town, however, he began averaging 47 points per game as well as 15 rebounds, suddenly putting the Bucks ahead of the Cavaliers and Lakers in the Power Rankings and leading his team to a 28-4 record. Pretty ridiculous.

This file got corrupted though, so I recreated Kareem and am currently trying to rebuild...

Other than that, I've been playing Digital Devil Saga 2 (almost done, I think) and the Banjo-Kazooie games.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 gmsnpr

I can't believe I never played a sports game before it. There is just an absolute ton of content in the game, which never really gets old if you play it correctly.

Mamba219

Maybe I should give sports titles a shot--I pretty much ignore them on the shelf, with the exception of boxing games.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Hizang
Well my PS2 arrived today so I've been getting all nostagic with games like San Andreas and Timesplitters, hope to play many of my PS2 games
hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
Finally got time to finish Brutal Legend 100 percent I then downloaded the new downloadable content, not much on it but worth the 400 points and made finding the last serpent out of 120 easy to find. I need to play some multi-player but can't find anyone playing it online.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="Mamba219"]

I can't believe I never played a sports game before it. There is just an absolute ton of content in the game, which never really gets old if you play it correctly.

gmsnpr

Maybe I should give sports titles a shot--I pretty much ignore them on the shelf, with the exception of boxing games.

I give most games a shot... but I ALWAYS try to play wrestling, hocky and baseball gaems... and occasionally racing ones.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Hizang

Get Final Fantasy X and play Blitzball, thats pretty decent :P

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 gmsnpr

'Twas Two Nights before Christmas

when all through the house,

not a gamer was gaming, not even

my spouse.  The systems were hooked up

'neath the TV with care, in the hopes that

Gamesniper soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,

the ones down the street, since I don't have kids.

And Mama in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,

then settled in to try out the next killer app.

When from the game room arose such a clatter

I sprang from the couch to see what was the matter

Away to my storage, I flew like a flash

to find what had happened-the source of the crash

Santa greeted me as I opened the door

asking, "Do you mind if I go ahead and take a few more?"

It seems that St. Nick was helping himself

to some of the games he'd found on my shelf

"I'd like to borrow some games from your shelves,

cuz' making these things is tough for the elves"

What could I say to Santa but "Yes,

as long as your helpers don't make them a mess"

"I'd like them back in their current condition

I'm a game collector, you understand my position"

Santa assured me that I'd not have to worry

and then disappeared in a great snowy flurry.

The next evening, from the game room, I heard a loud thump

and a few seconds later there came a soft bump

"Santa", I asked from outside the door

"Come in, Come in" I then heard him implore.

I walked into the room, and beheld such a sight

each one of my games had been put back just right.

"Thanks for your help, from me and the elves,

I doubt we'd have made it without use of your shelves"  

"If you're ever up North, make sure to drop by

We'll have some lunch and a big slice of pie"

And with that he vanished as quick as he came,

with no proof to show that he'd borrowed a game.

But, I assure you, dear reader, it wasn't a dream 

In my stocking the next day was a copy of Bleem

mijahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 mijahi
Member since 2009 • 895 Posts

'Twas Two Nights before Christmas

gmsnpr

I just read your post today...that was really good! Wish I'd read it back closer to Christmas...kind of puts me back in the mood again :P. Well done friend!

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 waflerevolution
I thought it was too amazing for words... so I never posted.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 gmsnpr
I thought no one was posting because they'd had their fill of rhyming. Glad some people liked it.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Hizang

In didnt post cause there was nothing really to post, it was too awsome!

I dont rhyme cause I can'

So I've been playing Little Kings Storant...

(Little kings story but it ryhmes!)