Thread replies vanishing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I saw it happen once but I assumed it was a fluke, but now I've found a second thread that I replied to today and the reply is gone:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/possible-to-play-real-old-obsolete-mac-games-31793446/#5

I had a second post in that thread that is now missing. It also happened in this thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/projectors-and-gaming-experience-question-31793385/#5

The second post in that thread is a retype of the one that vanished. The first one was just a simple reply with another user quoted while the other had an image.

-Byshop

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

That's a known bug, and has been happening for a while now.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

@harry_james_pot said:

That's a known bug, and has been happening for a while now.

It just happened to me again. The common element seems to be if the browser has been left open and the thread display is no longer current when you submit the post, so long worded posts (unfortunately) seem to be the most prone. Luckily I usually copy/paste into notepad before I post just in case.

-Byshop

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@Byshop said:

The common element seems to be if the browser has been left open and the thread display is no longer current when you submit the post, so long worded posts (unfortunately) seem to be the most prone.

Interesting, I'll try to test this.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

@harry_james_pot said:

@Byshop said:

The common element seems to be if the browser has been left open and the thread display is no longer current when you submit the post, so long worded posts (unfortunately) seem to be the most prone.

Interesting, I'll try to test this.

This bug aside, I learned a long time ago that typing out the reply in a word processor and then pasting into the window is a good way to avoid losing posts just to internet and browser quirks.

-Byshop

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@Byshop: Sorry you're having issues with this, could you answer the questions for me?

• What is your Operating System
  • Are you using any plug-ins or extension, if so what are they?
  • What is your Internet Browser
  • Are you using a home network to access the internet or something like a library/university/college/business connection?
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

My OS is Windows 8.1 across all my computers.

I primarily use Chrome although I sometimes use IE and FF even more rarely. It only happens every once in a while (three times that I remember) and in each it was Chrome, but I use the other two so seldomly that I wouldn't call that proof that Chrome is the issue.

Here are all the extensions I have loaded in Chrome:

Adblock Plus
Chrono Download Manager
Google Cast
Google Docs
Greenhouse
LogMeIn
myPlex Queue Extension

Mostly my home network. If I connect to the forum from work, I still typically use my home network to make the connection. The home connection is a Business Class Comcast internet connection behind a Comcast Business Gateway and then behind a standard Netgear Router N6300. Technically this is a double nat so it's a little bit weird but I doubt that would be related to this issue since we are talking about an HTTP form submission and not some sort of socketed connection. Even more complex connection types work find with this setup like uPNP games so I doubt it's causing what looks like a browser related issue.

-Byshop

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I know that adblock is one of the larger players when it comes to breakdown with site functionality. I'll log the rest of the extensions into the report to see if the devs know anything about conflicting extensions.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

Good to know. I'll try other browsers to see how it works.

-Byshop