Suggestion about the PM/update indicator

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

By which I mean the little circle next to your username at the top right. It lights up whenever you receive a new message or update. However, the icon always changes to an envelope, which seems to indicate that you've received a PM even when it's just an update. Since an actual PM demands my attention much more than yet another SSX trailer being uploaded, you can see how this gets annoying.

I would have suggested that the icon change to the update symbol (the box with an exclamation point) when you get an update, but then there would be no way of indicating that there were both new updates and new PMs. So I think the number of new PMs and updates should be displayed somewhere outside of the dropdown menu, so you can tell at a glance whether you've received a PM.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Yes, just like in the previous site design where the updates and messages had their own separate sections. I'd prefer that too.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Yeah, it would be great if when it lights up for an update it would flash blue was an exclamation point. That way we can tell the difference.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I rather it just not light up at all to be honest.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The-Apostle
I rather it just not light up at all to be honest.Dracula68
Then how are we supposed to know we have a PM without scrolling over it?
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#6 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I think they did that to add on to the theme but its kind of weird since it does not match with certain parts of the gs site, for me it is kind of clunky and I don't mind scrolling over it. But it just comes out really weird and glitchy. Whats annoying to me is how my inbox notifier is always orange even when it should be grey.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]I rather it just not light up at all to be honest.The-Apostle

Just randomly check. I was fine doing that before but now this "light" just stays on permanently for me so it is rather annoying. Or maybe change it to a color less annoying on the eyes?

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="Dracula68"]I rather it just not light up at all to be honest.Dracula68

Just randomly check. I was fine doing that before but now this "light" just stays on permanently for me so it is rather annoying. Or maybe change it to a color less annoying on the eyes?

I don't have that problem.
persianlink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 persianlink
Member since 2007 • 9591 Posts
Yeah, please use a separate icon for new updates.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

I've added this to our list of requests. I can't say it'll be updated any time soon though.

Best to use http://fuse.gamespot.com/notifications for PM notifications and game updates in the meantime. I noticed a bug though, when I check to see how many PM I have, it's zero, which may have to do with having too many (in the 600s at the moment). If it was displaying correctly, I'd have 99+ private messages (it is only two digits) and 48 game updates. I've went ahead and reported that issue.