So what is going on with the Playstation Nation Forum?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I don't go to the Playstation Nation Forum that often, but I do check it out occasionally. For the past few days I've noticed that it's really acting up, though.

Here is page 1 of the forum. There are only 3 non-stickied topics that appear on the page. Usually there should be... Well, more than that? Granted, this forum does have a lot of stickies, but still more topics should appear than that.

But let's see what happens when I take a look at page 2....

THERE'S NOTHING THERE!!!

And apparently it isn't getting any better with page 3, there's a whole 6 topics, one of which is locked.

I guess I just wanted to bring this to someone's attention. It's gotta be annoying for the people who post there regularly. I haven't noticed any problems like this in the XBox or Nintendo forums, which I go to and post in fairly more often.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@Ovirew: I believe the missing posts were all spam, I noticed the same thing a few days ago when we reported a large amount of spam through out the forums. I'm sure a mod could give you a better response but I figure I might as well add my two cents since I have experienced this as well.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

What the hell. I never experienced this before Gamespot revamped their site. Just look at the Games Discussion board. What a joke. Sometimes it's all I can see in the Recent Discussion page. I would suggest to add more mods but I think there's enough of those. Surely there is a way to prevent low post counting users from making threads.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

nah,it's all gone for now,but still,there needs more mods to keep things the way it used to be...see the point to why I despise and discriminate disposable accounts carrying more than 98 same things in less than a minute,this happened earlier before E3...which is about 2 or so months ago...no more mr.nice guy will eventually take control of the gate..

.I already told the site developers quite a long time ago to work on a security system like capthca or for worse,jumpscares with extremely loud noise from non-games sources. if things can't get better with either options,then we all should start using police-brutality-leveled mods to put these nutjobbers to a permanent IP ban and a respective police notice on their allegedly abused emails that was used to get in here..or better yet.....

you do know that..at the login page,there's a social media shortcut...I want that removed on the quadruple before I bid farewell to this site around August 2016.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#5  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@suicidesn0wman: Pretty much - basically it's a bug/side-effect of some of the anti-spam tech that purges spam, after a massive spam invasion (normally the result of said tech going offline due to a server outage or something) it purges everything that hasn't yet been manually removed and leaves the forum listing in that fragmented state with empty pages (as opposed to 50 spam threads on said page) and pages with very few visible threads. It's not ideal, but it beats pages of spam threads any day still. No meaningful threads are removed, they're just a lot more pages back than expected as a result of the spam pushing them back before getting purged.

@SOedipus: The idea of simply preventing new accounts from making threads altogether until reaching a certain threshold would unfortunately likely just result in every thread on a board getting spam posts in them instead. While empty pages in a board's thread list wouldn't be such an issue then, it's a little harder to find and remove spam posts in legitimate threads than it is spam threads, and the issue may also end up transferring to pages in the threads rather than the list of threads if the spam remains as excessive as it often is currently still. IIRC the account creation system already prevents bots from making accounts too, which suggests it's just an awful lot of people spending their day spamming the forums as accounts are constantly created and banned by moderators during spam invasions.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56156 Posts

@robotopbuddy: I got a question about that. Whenever I see those spam invasion like on the Games Discussion, do I really need to flag all of those accounts? It's a pain in the butt clicking the flags and go to the next but my question is, do I just keep clicking the flags/repeat or just wait until a mod purges the forums? I done my part in trying to flag them all but it's just too much to do.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#7 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@davillain-: If there's loads of them all in one board like during spam invasions it's probably best just to send a PM to mod team via the contact the moderators link on the right hand side of every forum page and then wait, that's enough to get us aware of it if we aren't already, including those of us that are offline at the time if it's not under control before we get online. In the case of spam invasions we deal with most of them prior to seeing if they're flagged or not anyway as we actively monitor the boards to remove them once we know there's a spam invasion ongoing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56156 Posts

@robotopbuddy: Will do and thank you for the answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Well, thanks for the responses everyone. I noticed things looked normal the last time I had checked, but now I'm at least aware of why this is happening.

It's kind of annoying that the empty space is left in place of the deleted topics, though. That is sure not to win over any new forum posters.