Site Update: Inserting Link Fix

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Hey all, since we first made this change to our link tool, we've made some further changes based on your feedback:

• URLs missing the protocol (i.e. 'http://') used to be considered invalid. I'm told that this isn't actually new and that our link tool has always been like this, but in any case, we've adjusted this so if the protocol is left out, we'll infer it and add it in for you.
  • For whatever reason, URLs that didn't end in a trailing slash (i.e. 'http://www.google.com' vs. 'http://www.google.com/') used to be considered invalid. This was a bug that we missed during testing, but was fixed rather quickly after we released.
  • We changed the name of the "To the Internets" tab to "To a URL" due to popular internal demand, and we regret its original name
  • We now default focus on the URL field or the search field, depending on which tab is selected ("To a URL" or "To GameSpot Content"), when the link tool is opened to remove an additional click and make it easier to use.

Within the next two weeks, we will also be defaulting the link tool to the "To a URL" tab in the forums so as to remove yet another click and make it even easier to use. This will also help users who aren't aware that the default tab was "To GameSpot Content" and were trying erroneously to use it to link to a URL.

All of this is to say that we hear your feedback loud and clear, despite my lack of posting in this thread thus far. Sorry for the inconvenience this has been so far! ~ Lark Anderson

If you are still having issues with adding links please try clearing your cache and cookies and try again. If the problem persists, please reply here with the following:

• Operating System
  • Browser / Browser Version
  • Any Active Extension you have Installed
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Still not working properly (without having to erase the http://).

• Windows 8 64 bit.
  • Firefox. 37.0.1

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

User Lists: 0

#3 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Would have posted a topic on this page but after posting a PSP review on Toy Story 3 I've noticed on my Reviews page on GamesSpot some of my reviews are missing had a few more reviews on my list I've posted after my review on One Piece: Unlimited World Red (3DS). I've typed in one of my reviews like Roll Away(PS1) which does appear on the review section of that game

Grakou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grakou
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts
  • Mac OS 10.3.3
  • Chrome Version 41.0.2272.118 (64-bit)
  • Google Docs, Sheets, Slides

Same on another machine in my home network:

• Windows 8
  • Latest Chrome
  • Default extensions

Like it has nothing to do with the machine configuration. My account was full of errors since the very first login (banned, 5 posts although I haven't posted a ONE).

locksleyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locksleyu

I'm having trouble posting a link, if someone can help me out please let me know. I am not sure if this a bug or if I am doing something wrong.

When I click on Link I see "Text to Display" and "What are you looking for?" boxes. I put my link in the first one and get the error 'you did not enter a valid link', even if I remove the https:// or replace it with http://. Also I am not sure what I am supposed to put in the second box, since my link has nothing to do with Gamestop.

For reference this is the link I am trying to post (in the thread "Developers and Game Representatives -- START HERE")

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/play-the-field/id985621862?mt=8

Thanks!

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@locksleyu: The text to display box is exactly that - it's not for the URL for the link itself but rather the text that will link to the URL. The URL goes in the box under it, however you have to click on the 'to a URL' option 1st as your link isn't for a page on gamespot.

locksleyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By locksleyu

RobotOpBuddy, thanks for the response.

I see your point but am unable to find a "to a URL" button. See the below screenshot.

Thanks.

Update: The image I added seems to be intermittently working, so I'l describe what I see.

The dialog I get says "Add a link" and shows only "Cancel" and "Create Link" (besides the "Text to Display" and "What are you looking for?" text fields).

I can't find the "to a URL" button.

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

@locksleyu:This is strange, as it is meant to look like this:

Can you post what browser and version you are using, along with a list of any active browser extensions you have, and what OS you are using?

locksleyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By locksleyu

I have tried this on several browsers, and I get the same behavior on all of them:

- Firefox 37.0.2

- Chrome 42.0.2311.135 (64-bit)

- Safari Version 8.0.4 (10600.4.10.7)

My OS is Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.2).

I will not going to list all browser extensions here since the fact it fails on browsers on my system seems to indicate it isn't a browser-specific problem. If you really think the extensions are the problem I can still check for a specific browser, however.

To be clear, I am clicking on the "Link" button on the top of the menu (above where I am typing now), which is in between "Quote" and "Img".

If you have any ideas what is going on, please let me know.

Or, if you can just give me the markup I can cut and paste into my message so I can properly send a link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#10 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@locksleyu:That's the right button - it'd be worth doing a blanket check for extension issues at least:

In firefox in the help menu (or ? symbol) click on restart with add-ons disabled, then restart and it'll close and reopen firefox - then click on start in safe mode, there's no need to reset firefox. Login and navigate to a thread to test if the issue persists

In chrome, unless you've set up add-ons to specifically work even under incognito you can simply open up an incognito tab and that will disable add-ons for the incognito window, after which you can login and check the link button.

I'm not sure if safari has a quick way but you could always toggle all extensions off via preferences, reload the page, test the link button, and then turn them all back on.

If the to a URL tab displays in that scenario then an extension is the cause, most likely a content or script blocker of some form. Depending on the specific cause you may be able to just add an exception line or tweak your settings to remedy the issue without having to remove any add-ons.

If it still doesn't display even in FF safe mode or chrome's incognito with no add-ons running then it can be looked into further.

As for a copy&paste method..copying pretty much any hyperlinked text (even those not in posts) and pasting it should work as a basis (best not to use the @username links in posts for that though, they contain a bit extra that triggers the notification system - using the username under your own avatar (just above the member since/posts on the left hand side of any post) via highlight&copy&paste should work fine though) - and then clicking on the linked text in the text box and pressing the link button should automatically bring up the to a URL tab and let you edit it to anything, even the tabs themselves aren't displaying for you. This is hardly an ideal solution mind.

locksleyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locksleyu

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps. I disabled all extensions in Firefox but still have the same issue, so it is definitely not a browser-extension based issue. Must be something system-wide.

I have no idea what it could be and it isn't worth doing any more depth of triage for this minor issue, so I'll just cut and paste the link.

Thanks!

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

@locksleyu: Thanks for the extra details! We'll try to get to the bottom of this.

beardygaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 beardygaming
Member since 2015 • 134 Posts

I am having this exact issue too. Any news?

ArmyCombatVet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArmyCombatVet
Member since 2015 • 38 Posts

Having the same issue. No way to post a URL in the box. The options aren't there.