Site running very slow?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dogsounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 dogsounds
Member since 2002 • 47 Posts

Hi guys

Just a quick query, I have found over the last few days that Gamespot runs excruciatingly slowly - it takes upwards of a minute to get to the next page, sometimes. I also found that to download a video file (not HD) of about 119 meg was clocking itself as a four-hour download...

I'm pretty sure that there's not a problem at this end, as I am not having issues with any other sites, or Xbox live, through my broadband connection, so I just thought I should make you aware in case there is an issue at your end. I

Any ideas? I'm running IE7 under WinXp, not had any problems before...

Thanks for your help :)

lynchdogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lynchdogg
Member since 2006 • 570 Posts
I am experience the same problem and I also have the same specs Explore 7, winXP.
Shwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Shwing
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Yep, same here too.

I have been getting very frustrated with recent download speeds (not just in last few days, but for weeks now). To give an example, I am currently downloading the current edition of 'On The Spot' @ a mind blowing 19.8KB/sec!!!!

When you bear in mind that Gamespot is the ONLY website I currently pay a subscription to, it makes me SO frustrasted! When downloading stuff from other similar websites (eg. IGN / 1UP) I generally get speeds of approx 4 to 5 times quicker - and I don't even subscribe to them!!!!!!!!

Please GameSpot ... What gives?

dogsounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dogsounds

Glad it's not just me then! but it is the general speed of the site too - not just downloads - it feels like I am viewing the site on a 56k modem!  Which makes any lengthy surfing a chore, and as this is the only game site I like that is kind of a pain...

I am in the UK, could that be a problem perhaps?

Gallego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Gallego
Member since 2003 • 19446 Posts
it's very fast for me :? as for the download speed, see this thread. I have also found that a plug in for firefox, Downthemall, speeds your download rate dramatically.
DVDFAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DVDFAN
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
I am definitely having this problem.  About three weeks ago all of my downloads became very slow.  It's not a problem with streaming video, only with downloads.  Right now I am trying to download a 100 MB patch and it told me that it would take over 35 minutes.  A similar download off another website took slightly under 2 minutes.  Any idea what the problem is?
digi_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 digi_matrix
Member since 2004 • 6600 Posts
I've just noticed that generally browsing the site takes a lot longer than usual, almost like a 56k connection. What gives?
DVDFAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DVDFAN
Something has to be going on.  Like you, I've been a member for years and I've always been very happy with Gamespot, but the serious slowdown in available bandwidth is becoming a major problem.
MammoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MammoMan
Member since 2003 • 814 Posts

Man I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I've been complaining about this for about a week. Absolutely no support on it at all. I have canceled my subscription not because I wanted to but if I can't stream or download I'm not giving them my money. I'm gonna be forced to pay for IGN.

(shivers)

DVDFAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DVDFAN

I have noticed that there has been almost no official help or comment on the slowdown issue from Gamespot.  It's strange because the "highspeed" download server is supposed to be much faster for us total access members, so they aren't really standing by their loyal customers.  I wonder if throttling has become a corporate edict from the managing company?

mjwickstrom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mjwickstrom1
Member since 2005 • 20454 Posts
The site has only been running somewhat slow for me on the forums, and even thne it's only slow when loading the page for me to begin typing up a post. Sometimes it's froze in the middle of loading, and I've had to reload the page, and other times it just takes a minute or two for the page to fully load.
dogsounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dogsounds

Hey Gallego

Thanks for the information. But that only really deals with the issue of slow file downloads - can you offer anything on why the site seems so slow? I can take me up to a minute to load a webpage on here - no other sites give me this problem. And as you can imagine, when I am typing in a blog or comment like this, it becomes almost impossible, with the text on screen about 10 seconds behind my typing...it really does seem to be a site issue. I hve replicated the same slowness on several different PC's, on different networks.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Â