Site Navigation Changes

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nxss-effa-sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Nxss-effa-sim
Member since 2004 • 4103 Posts
Well they should either make the design universal (because it is great, needs union tab though) or do something to the rest of the site. I mean, look at all this wasted space:
Riamo_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 Riamo_10
Member since 2006 • 820 Posts
COME ON GAMESPOT, Your not making a lot of people happy, and this is really not effective, first with the comment rating system and now this?!!?! What are you guys thinking? You guys should just concentrate on getting more content and video, like www.gametrailers.com offers which are HD (AND FREE!!) and they have neat stuff like countdowns!
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Davidhye
Member since 2005 • 12018 Posts
sure :)

Thanks for telling me Davidhye.

maa4208
Spectral_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#54 Spectral_Snake
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts
I love the new layout its so much better than the old makes it easier to read the lastest.
Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
i like the change
KFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 KFrog
Member since 2003 • 627 Posts
I like it. I even brought it up on the new Apple Safari browser for Windows XP. Looks good to me.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Looks good but it's interfering with my navigation around the site. I don't understand why you always overlap stuff.
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Davidhye

Well they should either make the design universal (because it is great, needs union tab though) or do something to the rest of the site. I mean, look at all this wasted space: http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7633/gamespotheadervw0.pngNxss-effa-sim

it's all maximizing the space, isn't it :P

i think it would be too much of everything if there would be no wasted space...

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
I like it a lot. However, it should be easier to access previous consoles' game archives. I like that there are only tabs for 'current' consoles and portables (next to the 'home' tab), but I feel like there should be a tab leading to all previous consoles and handhelds. Maybe name it something like 'other' or the such. It's been a long time since we could have had such an addition. Now would be the perfect time to implement it. 8)
-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts
I liked the old font better. Also, this is pretty obscure but I liked it when in the forums the thread title would be the heading on your browser and now it's not. This wouldn't be a problem usually, but GS cuts off the title after a few words and then just gives some "..." in the actual thread so there's no way to see the thread title while actually on the thread's page. That's pretty odd when you think about it.
rdrcr420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rdrcr420
Member since 2005 • 131 Posts

The new layout is pretty cool but whatever happend to the mobile game link.

Nxss-effa-sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Nxss-effa-sim
Member since 2004 • 4103 Posts

[QUOTE="Nxss-effa-sim"]Well they should either make the design universal (because it is great, needs union tab though) or do something to the rest of the site. I mean, look at all this wasted space: http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7633/gamespotheadervw0.pngDavidhye

it's all maximizing the space, isn't it :P

i think it would be too much of everything if there would be no wasted space...

I just highlighted the spaces to demonstrate that GS has room, especially to move things around however they want. Not all of the space has to be used. What I really wanted to focus on was the the grey space where the "background color" option is. Isn't that redundant, thats why we have a "My Preferences" option in our profile and a "prefs" link near the logout button in the top right of the page. I never used the BC tab, not even once.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#63 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
BALLIN! i like it so far. let me play with it some more so i can give better feedback then ballin!
coruscant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#64 coruscant
Member since 2005 • 3406 Posts
I like the new system, I think it's great.
Snipe_You_Out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#65 Snipe_You_Out
Member since 2006 • 2707 Posts
Thats what that was:P I was confused at first on what it was but it looks cool IMO Plus the Bar at the top of the page is a little easier to read now as well Good update! Cant wait to see what you come out with next:)
---n00b_kid---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ---n00b_kid---
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts

The biggest change is the new three-item content promotion unit that appears on all story pages. These items showcase the biggest stories on GameSpot and will generally mirror what's at the top of the GameSpot homepage. The idea is that this will make it easier for users busy reading reviews, previews, news, or game guides to see the latest major updates right when they hit the site.

SamP

SamP, I dont get it, where is the new three-item content promotion unit ?? I cant see it, I looked everywhere

Why has the Xbox, GC, GBA tabs been removed ?? There are still games being made for the GBA, am I correct ??

Moti_Biran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#67 Moti_Biran
Member since 2002 • 474 Posts
I like the bigger fonts in the tabs!
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

I liked the old font better. Also, this is pretty obscure but I liked it when in the forums the thread title would be the heading on your browser and now it's not. This wouldn't be a problem usually, but GS cuts off the title after a few words and then just gives some "..." in the actual thread so there's no way to see the thread title while actually on the thread's page. That's pretty odd when you think about it.-Dionysus-

I noticed that too, but I thought I was just going crazy... :?

I loved that feature too; especially since I have 5 or 6 GS windows open at once, it helps me figure out what's in each one.

Avatar image for deactivated-591754d3955ba
deactivated-591754d3955ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#69 deactivated-591754d3955ba
Member since 2004 • 5196 Posts
I love the change.
JoelHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70 JoelHH
Member since 2006 • 499 Posts

The new change on the news pages looks really good, but the only problem is that it takes away the continuity from page to page. It would be great if it was placed on all pages and had content associated to the page you are on (sports vids on sports pages, 360 vids on 360 pages, etc).

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#71 skrutop
Member since 2002 • 2262 Posts

I don't like how there are two different navigation bars. It's inconsistent and confusing. I should only have to look in one place to move around the major aspects of the site.

Even worse, the game page navbar actually makes you look in two different places on the same page! A navbar should be just that. A bar. Also, I don't really need to see the latest and greatest stories in the navbar, I'll go to the home page for that.

1) When looking at a game's page:

2) When looking at anything else:

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#72 Kazona
Member since 2003 • 1377 Posts
[QUOTE="SamP"]

The biggest change is the new three-item content promotion unit that appears on all story pages. These items showcase the biggest stories on GameSpot and will generally mirror what's at the top of the GameSpot homepage. The idea is that this will make it easier for users busy reading reviews, previews, news, or game guides to see the latest major updates right when they hit the site.

---n00b_kid---

SamP, I dont get it, where is the new three-item content promotion unit ?? I cant see it, I looked everywhere

Why has the Xbox, GC, GBA tabs been removed ?? There are still games being made for the GBA, am I correct ??

Can't find it either.. Guess I'm blind T_T

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
Hmm. I have to agree with skrutop. From a usability standpoint navigation should remain consistent throughout the site. I don't think moving the tabs around depending on what page you're on is a good idea. I do like the idea of having the latest and greatest available anywhere however. I would suggest leaving the Home and News bars where they are and adding a latest and greatest ticker underneath them as long as it wouldn't have a detrimental affect on site performance.
Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#75 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
Looks nice, I am loving the change.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#76 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
I like the new interface. Everything is improved.

If you're taking suggestions, I would submit that the site would benefit from an expanding menu system (e.g. collegesavings menu system). It would streamline the site further.

For example, an expanding "Forums" menu might list the primary forum names and forum home, so that users would be able to go directly to off-topic. It would be similarly useful to get a drop-down like "My Games" for tracked users and friends.

I like everything that has been done, it's a great site, and look forward to further improvements.

EVAN0070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 EVAN0070
Member since 2005 • 106 Posts
Nice changes!
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#78 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts
I think that the changes are good, It will take a tiny bit to get used to.
XlpranksterlX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 XlpranksterlX
Member since 2005 • 7438 Posts
Minor tweak as far as I'm concerned. To be honest I use GS so much I don't really care for the new promotional thing, but it isn't a bad addition. As for the dropping of GBA and GC, maybe the PS3 should have been dropped because more GBAs have been sold than PS3s for about 2 months now,.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#80 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
the bar with home, the consoles, forums, etc. on it looks rather large now, and i dnt like the bold at all (i presume it's only been made like that to make it look ok with the removal of some of the consoles from it)...apart from that it all seems pretty good though, the 3 biggest stories thing in particular is pretty handy...that extra cheat codes tab certainly doesn't need to be there, how about a unions tab linking to the browse unions page or a general union page instead? if not that then at least something of actual use...there's no point in having 2 cheat code buttons
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Not fond of the larger text size, but I can get used to that. I do like the look of the navbar on news stories and whatnot, rather eye-pleasing and convenient. The only gripe I have regarding this change is that all pages share the same title, not the title of the forum, thread, story, etc that you're viewing. I'm assuming this is a related change as it happened around the same time (I'm assuming it was unintentional also).
Rossuron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Rossuron
Member since 2003 • 473 Posts
I think it looks a lot better now. Nicer font and the buttons look modernized. Not too crazy about the stories tab, but it allows me, and other users easy access to jump to different pages faster. I have also noticed that the profile level bar has been enlarged. I prefer how it is now over what it used to be. Keeping it up GameSpot!
SamP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SamP
Member since 2002 • 1602 Posts

The only gripe I have regarding this change is that all pages share the same title, not the title of the forum, thread, story, etc that you're viewing. I'm assuming this is a related change as it happened around the same time (I'm assuming it was unintentional also).EJ902

This is fixed.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

I like the new stories and all but I think it looks a lot nicer with them there than with out them, maybe if they were always there?

Please get rid of the bold for the home and console tabs, its reallyannoying.

I don't think cheat codes and sports should be tabs, looks too cluttered now.

Off topic-how come you can't post when using Safari 3 for windows?

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Impossibilium
Member since 2005 • 1568 Posts

reorganizing the nav bar is long overdue. I like the condensed game list. Complaints about losing specific sections for older consoles isn't warranted. it's not worht spearating devices that are barely supported now. That's like complaining that Dreamcast should have it's own section because you still play it, even though the vast majority of video game players now don't.

I don't like the third level of navigation when switching to game specific pages. It bumps the main nav up a line and disconnects it from the main nav bar. Inconsistency between pages isn't helpful for users (i.e. me. :) ) It also looks out of place because it's suddenly a different color when viewed in Ice (which makes me think it's for something else) and you have a new features info panel running in the place of the general navigation. It looks nice in itself and I can see how you don't want to have it fall into the title image of the game space but it makes the page look like a bit of a mongrel. I'd rather see the game spaces left untouched and just the home page nav bar there until it can be better slotted in.

Now the main nav uses larger type it also slightly overpowers the game space tabs, so you have two buttons for forums fighting for attention. When there's a complex or colorful graphic in the game space title bar it also makes the top right corner very, very busy as well.

Avatar image for VitoMysterio619
VitoMysterio619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86 VitoMysterio619
Member since 2006 • 3554 Posts
I think it should be on all pages.
It looks nicer.DJ-PRIME90
Agreed. I really like it thought, it looks nice.
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Davidhye
i have a question to mods/admins - what is the name of the font that you guys are using for those tabs?
GspotDeluxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88 GspotDeluxer
Member since 2004 • 1662 Posts

sweet

Stelron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Stelron
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts

It is very good. I have to make a comment on the site in general.

Ihaveagoodconnectionandstillthesiteisdownloadingslow.But can you imagine some people that have 300k connection?

What i am trying to say is that the site is very very heavy. I know it is impossible but you can do some changes to make it a little lighter?

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

[QUOTE="EJ902"]The only gripe I have regarding this change is that all pages share the same title, not the title of the forum, thread, story, etc that you're viewing. I'm assuming this is a related change as it happened around the same time (I'm assuming it was unintentional also).SamP

This is fixed.

Great. Thanks!
dumbgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#91 dumbgrim
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts

really cool :)

crazytom49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 crazytom49
Member since 2006 • 755 Posts

It looked all black and trendy for a second. Was that a glitch, or will that eventually be implemented?

EDIT: I see that the black trendy look only kicks in on news pages (or my internet browser is glitching) - why not make that sitewide? And also, are the Xbox and GC tabs gone for good now?

Funkyhamster

I agree with the trendy black thing, that looked loads cooler than the usual silver. Almost carbon fibre like...

Other than that I like it a lot

Also the video player update is much better, but thats been around for a while now

sweetbryancito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 sweetbryancito
Member since 2003 • 174 Posts

I liked it better when the video game systems were different than the others, the new look only appears when I enter the site
I like it a lot :D Hope gamespot can fix Firefox problems :(

Conclusions: Navigation is much better and very cool I like this Gamespot So much :P

SamP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SamP
Member since 2002 • 1602 Posts

I like it a lot :D Hope gamespot can fix Firefox problems :(

sweetbryancito

There are no known technical problems between the new navigation and Firefox that aren't solved by hitting refresh on your browser. If you see something that doesn't go away with a refresh, please let us know.

Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#95 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts

I like it, but the buttons should be longer and...you guys got rid of the GameCube section. :cry:

UPDATE: I can confirm the problems with Firefox. I am currently running Firefox 2 and the bars are getting really...erm, messed up. Refreshing doesn't help, either. I can't really explain this with words, so I took a screenshot:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2581/glitchdn6.png

Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Davidhye
i had a kind of similiar problem - try clearing your cache...
Morhavoc_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97 Morhavoc_IRL
Member since 2006 • 287 Posts

i like the top 3 feature bein on top of the screen now, saves you havin to go back to the home page and lets you know when new stuff comes up. love the site, great work, keep it up!

Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#98 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts
It's a shame this doesn't work with FF, cause it would like very nice. Also, as with many others, I think the 3 news bar thing should be kept on every page, it looks very good too.
Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#99 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts

i had a kind of similiar problem - try clearing your cache...Davidhye

I've already tried that, and it still looks messed up. :(

Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Davidhye

[QUOTE="Davidhye"]i had a kind of similiar problem - try clearing your cache...HyperMetaDragon

I've already tried that, and it still looks messed up. :(

have you tried cookies?