This topic is locked from further discussion.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

Hey folks.

I just thought I would check in. For the past two days, I have been experiancing some serious slowdown around the site. I don't know if its just me and my end or something else. When using Firefox (which is what I have used for years now), I am getting a lot of "script errors" and a lot of the windows going "not responding" due to me trying to work too fast (even though thats how I usually browse). I want to know if its just me or is this happening with everybody? I am using IE at the moment and its still running very slow compared to usual.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts
Everything seems fine to me.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 caddy

Everything seems fine to me.vgm007

OK. I will see what happens. It probably is something to do with me. I will look into sorting it out, if it doesn't fix itself.

EDIT: It already seems a little better. Perhaps it was just something to do with my internet connection, even though other sites seemed to be fine. Hopefully, everything will go back to normal soon enough. :)

jakeboudville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jakeboudville
Member since 2004 • 90576 Posts
It's happening to me too. I'm using Firefox and it sometimes I get a message by firefox whether I would like to stop running some script or not. It seems to be hanging my Firefox occasionally too. Btw, it's Firefox 2.0.0.4.
vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts

Everything seems fine to me.vgm007

I take that back. Something with this site is causing FF to consume tons of memory - more than 200,000K!

jakeboudville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jakeboudville

I take that back. Something with this site is causing FF to consume tons of memory - more than 200,000K!

vgm007
I have 300,000K yesterday and it hangs everything till I kill the process off with task manager everything 15 minutes or so. If I'm not mistaken, this happened 2 or 3 weeks ago but it was somehow resolved over that weekend.
Paul_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Paul_06
Member since 2005 • 36723 Posts

[QUOTE="vgm007"]Everything seems fine to me.vgm007

Looks like I'm not the only one with that issue. I was thinking it was maybe my Firefox so I didn't bother posting anything here. Yesterday mine got over 600,000K at one point :? Plus I'm having that script stuff every now and then and little hang ups here and there. Maybe the two things are related?
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

I get this ALL the time which is why I can't run iTunes while working. I average 175k to over 600k for some reason. Pages load post by post and I have it set to 50 page max. I made a topic about this long ago but nobody posted in it...lol I had to just coerce myself to get use to it and just not click on so many threads unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: I do realize FF is a huge resource hog but still....

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 caddy
Wow, maybe I am not the only one. It was slightly better last night but I am having the same issue now. It is very annoying, and usually when I am on GameSpot, it doesn't run this slow. I am a tab browser and I usually have 6 tabs open for various unions, forums and such and I can usually fly through everything but its acting up at the moment. I checked my internet connection and its fine, I even checked tabbed browsing on other sites and its fine.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dracula68

I was fooling around with JUST 1 tab open and each thread I clicked on the number in task manager just kept rising. I went from 35k to 125k in a matter of 5 minutes. I only had 4 tabs open before and 675k was being used which is insane.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dracula68

Update: OK, after less than an hour of clicking on various threads look how high the number got with only 1 tab open.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 caddy
OK. It looks like something is wrong then. I just got another script error and I will repeat, it is only happening with this one site. Hopefully this gets fixed soon because it is very annoying, especially when it slows down the entire browser.
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
Wow, I hadn't noticed the severity of memory usage on my own computer either... I just checked it now and it's almost at 180k. And it seems to shoot up the more I browse around the site too... yes I have noticed slowdown and such but something is weird about this.
Paul_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Paul_06
Member since 2005 • 36723 Posts
Well I'm sitting on over 500,000K again... Also I noticed that as the memory usage goes up, the freeze ups become more annoying and frequent..there just has to be a relationship there between the two, almost no doubt about it.
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts

I'm having this problem as well. My memory usage now is sitting around 230k and I've had to restart on a couple occasions. I'm not sure if it's just my machine or not, but I got a message yesterday saying my virtual memory was low. I haven't downloaded anything or done anything of the sort. So I'm guessing GS is to blame for that as well. I hope this can get resolved soon.

EDIT: I closed FF just a moment ago and I checked the memory usage and it was still rising. It rose by 10k in a matter of seconds after closing it. Is this normal?

jakeboudville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jakeboudville
@Zoid: Just did the same thing as it seems that firefox seems to be stuck in the process even though I managed to close it properly when it takes up the memory usage
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
@Zoid: Just did the same thing as it seems that firefox seems to be stuck in the process even though I managed to close it properly when it takes up the memory usagejakeboudville
What's your memory usage at startup?
jakeboudville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jakeboudville
What's your memory usage at startup?
The_Zoid
around 40k or so only..it always starts of fine but it will go up to around 300k or so and things will become slow from there.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
That used to happen to me. If I left FF on for a while it would reach around 300k. I stopped using it and switched to Safari, and that stays at around 60k, and works fine even if I leave it running all day. Maybe those of you having problems should try the Safari BETA for Windows. I'm not sure if it's as good as the Mac version, but it might be worth a try.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 caddy

That used to happen to me. If I left FF on for a while it would reach around 300k. I stopped using it and switched to Safari, and that stays at around 60k, and works fine even if I leave it running all day. Maybe those of you having problems should try the Safari BETA for Windows. I'm not sure if it's as good as the Mac version, but it might be worth a try.SolidSnake35

It isn't FF though, its when I am browsing GameSpot using FF. When I am on other sites, it seems to be fine.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 caddy
Update: It seems to be running OK at the moment. I am not getting any script errors or anything and it seems to be running normally. The usage still seems high though, its currently sitting at 113,740K, for me anyway.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dracula68

I know this may sound sadistic but I am glad I am not the only having this problem. This started happening to me way back in May!

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 caddy

I know this may sound sadistic but I am glad I am not the only having this problem. This started happening to me way back in May!

Dracula68

:shock: I couldn't handle that. It just started happening to me two days ago and I am this annoyed with it. I wouldn't really call that sadistic, more happy over the fact that this is a genuine problem somewhere, and not just a problem on your end. Thats whay I am feeling anyway, sadistic/happy, its a thin line :wink:

Update: Everything was running fine, apart from the usage was still very high. However, it suddenly crashed on me and the it was using so much CPU that my computer crashed because of it. This is a serious problem here. At the moment, the usage is sitting at what it should be however, thats only because I restarted my computer and its fresh but I can expect that to rise fast, shortly. I am getting more and more frustrated at this problem as it continues. I really don't know how you managed to put up with it all that time Dracula.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dracula68

I had no choice really. I despise IE so that wasn't even an option.

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
I thought I was the only one :shock: it started yesterday for me, and after five minutes I have 160k already with two tabs open. And like Dracula I hate IE because at least for me, IE just looks so plain and boring ... plus my computer doesn't run it very well.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 caddy
I also really don't like IE so I will stick with FF. I really hope something is being looked at to be fixed for this, especially if quite a few people are having the same problems.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dracula68

I also really don't like IE so I will stick with FF. I really hope something is being looked at to be fixed for this, especially if quite a few people are having the same problems.Caddy06_88

I have been told the Devs are aware of this.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 caddy

[QUOTE="Caddy06_88"]I also really don't like IE so I will stick with FF. I really hope something is being looked at to be fixed for this, especially if quite a few people are having the same problems.Dracula68

Thats good news then. With any luck, this problem will be behind us soon enough.

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts

[QUOTE="Caddy06_88"]I also really don't like IE so I will stick with FF. I really hope something is being looked at to be fixed for this, especially if quite a few people are having the same problems.Dracula68

thanks Dracula, it bugs me when its using more than everything else combined :?

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 caddy
Update: This is still a problem for me. Its still just running the same way, too much usage, too fast and then it starts crashing. I can imagine this would be a hard problem to sort out, especially since it seems to only be happening with FireFox and only certain users. I hope this is fixed soon though so I can get back to normal speed browsing.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dracula68

Well I am still waiting since May. In all seriousness, I wouldn't expect much done this coming week with E3 and all.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 caddy

Well I am still waiting since May. In all seriousness, I wouldn't expect much done this coming week with E3 and all.

Dracula68

Oh yes, how can I forget? :P I wouldn't expect a drop in E3 coverage for something like this, as long as GameSpot can cover E3 well enough to make up for it. :)

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
This has been happening to me now for a few days, off and on. I was afraid it was my computer.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

I also have been seeing this issue. It really horks up Firefox with those script errors, and even my PCs general performance at times (when windows decides FireFox is not responding). At first I thought it was my PC but I've experienced this now on multiple systems.

I sure hope this issue isn't exacerbated when the E3 traffic picks up. It is bad enough watching Firefox spin just loading a simple page and worse when having to respond to a dialogue box before it loads the page.

MGS-SolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MGS-SolidSnake
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts
i have also been experiencing the forums being very slow and actually gamespot as a whole. Every other site has no issues and performs at normal speed. It has been about a week or 10 days like this.
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Teivan
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
The problem is due to a memory leak in mootools.js ver 1.11. We're working on fixing this as rapidly as possible. Most likely we'll be reverting back to version 1.0, but we have to also modify a few things that are using the newer version. :(
ganon42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ganon42
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts
Glad im not the only one as i thought it was my computer. I as well have been expierincing this issue and its starting to get annoying.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 caddy

[QUOTE="Teivan"]The problem is due to a memory leak in mootools.js ver 1.11. We're working on fixing this as rapidly as possible. Most likely we'll be reverting back to version 1.0, but we have to also modify a few things that are using the newer version. :(Thorpe89

Thanks for letting us know. I was beginning to think my computer disliked GameSpot.com.

Yea, thanks for letting us know. It is good to see that the problem has been discovered and hopefully will be fixed as soon as possible so I can get back to high speed browsing :)

StevenJWeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 StevenJWeir
Member since 2004 • 1223 Posts

I too am getting this horrid slow down. :(

I just hope everything is fine for E3. I hope firefox doesnt explode my pc haha...(not haha :()

CybertronR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CybertronR
Member since 2004 • 218 Posts
Hey everyone, we pushed some changes to fix the memory leaks a little earlier today. It should be better now. We are still going around and fixing things here and there. If you guys have any more problems feel free to PM me or Teivan.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 caddy

Hey everyone, we pushed some changes to fix the memory leaks a little earlier today. It should be better now. We are still going around and fixing things here and there. If you guys have any more problems feel free to PM me or Teivan.CybertronR

Thats good to know. I had to restart because the usage was already way to high so hopefully the usage stays down and the speed is good. I will report back if the things are still slow. Thanks.

IceAxe18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IceAxe18
Member since 2003 • 622 Posts

I've been have the same problems for the past few days especially today seems to be pretty bad.

Anyways its around 8:00pm & things seem to be working at the moment.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dracula68

There is a little improvement. I've been clicking on threads for 45 minutes and the FF memory is only at 278k right now so it is rising but at least it is slower.

jakeboudville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jakeboudville
It lasted for around 60-90 minutes for me before i have to end it as it gets slower.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 caddy
Like Drac has said, it seems it has improved a little. I just open 3 tabs and got a script error so there must still be a problem out there. My usage was quite high last night when I finally turned off at 6 in the morning (I was watching the Microsoft conference and I live in the UK), but it didn't seem to be as high as it was getting for a while. Hopefully the remainder of the problem can be fixed somehow because it still isn't what it was before this all started.
mother_farter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 mother_farter
Member since 2003 • 16676 Posts
i use IE and i noticed the site was extremely slow during the showing of the MS press conference but other than that i think the site has been running fine.
markkilness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 markkilness
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts
yeah i've been getting a massive slow down, and for some reason my games have been disabled, and all the user videos I have disappeared.