Quote Chain and Notifications Feedback

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I didn't see this listed but if so my bad sorry. Would it be possible to have an automatic cut off of quotes at 2? Seems a decent number. It would help the scrolling as quote chains get very long....not many people cut them down. Though to be fair it does get annoying when cutting quote chains and it erases the entire quote even though that was not selected to be cut.

Also annoying is getting notifications when one is no longer in a discussion because two individuals are quoting each other and you were quoted earlier.

This would make the forums better.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#2 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

A feature has been added to make manually cutting them down easier - you just have to hover over the right parts of the quote (namely the inner ones that you intend to remove), and the size/delete box will move to signify that you're highlighting a different part. Of course, that's not entirely clear and quite easy to miss. As for automatic cutting down of quote chains (but not of multiple split quotes in a post) - it'd be nice, certainly, but I suspect there's more important things to be dealt with at the moment - as mentioned it is quite easy to cut down quotes now, even if most people don't notice that the feature was added. The notifications is just a side effect of you still being quote far down in the discussion of course.

We could alternatively implement a quote-pyramid-restriction rule if necessary, but I'd rather not moderate people just because they don't realise that they can reduce quote pyramids to just the most recent/relevant ones quite easily. As such I'd rather wait for an automated reduction in them or at least for the manual feature to become well known.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Yeah I know that. But two things....very few people do that and the chains get out of control. And second...sometimes when I'm close to cutting a quote...the entire thing gets eaten and I have to start over. Which gets kind of annoying really.

I'm not asking for moderations....I'm asking for automatic cut offs like other forums have. Then it's not up to the user. It gets done without any thought.