"Blazing Fast Downloads"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts

I've tried downloading multiple demos lately using these "blazing fast" servers and have been stuck at about 70kbps - 90kbps. I live in the bay area with Comcast 10 meg cable. I would support a plan to add a better line to distribute better bandwidth to premium members, because right now they don't go any faster than the free ones.

Currently downloading ArmA Demo at 73.3 KB/sec (9% finished) with nothing else using bandwidth on my computer.

AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts
I live up in the North Bay, use the same Comcast cable connection that you do, and I get around 600 to 700 kbps from home, even with other stuff being downloaded in the background. Assuming we're hitting the same GS download servers, it sounds like Comcast is probably just doing a bad job of routing you to our servers from where you are. Not trying to pass the buck, but as I said, I'm in the same area, use the same connection type, and get consistently excellent speeds from home.
rymich13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rymich13
Member since 2006 • 403 Posts
seeing how admins have the same download servers that we total access guys, get but you can do things beyond what we can you but we share some of the same stuff.
bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts

I live up in the North Bay, use the same Comcast cable connection that you do, and I get around 600 to 700 kbps from home, even with other stuff being downloaded in the background. Assuming we're hitting the same GS download servers, it sounds like Comcast is probably just doing a bad job of routing you to our servers from where you are. Not trying to pass the buck, but as I said, I'm in the same area, use the same connection type, and get consistently excellent speeds from home.AlexN

I did a tracert on the server uploading the demo to me and got a 24 ms with hops never leaving the bay area. It isn't comcast's routing. The only thing it could be is cnet either not having enough bandwidth to support its users at the high speed or comcast has lousy lines in the bay area which wouldn't explain why you're getting such high speeds. Could we lobby for some IT guys to check with comcast about this? Because my comcast supports the entire sacramento area, which is also a major hop to LA - and that's alot of people only getting 70k off the premium servers here. I'll check again tomorrow from my campus in the city to be sure and get back to you.