Limit to the number of threads a user can make?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

If there exists any limit on how many topics you can make in a certain time period, I've never heard about it. Either way, imposing a hard limit of 3-5 threads per day on all users (possibly varying for paid subscribers) would really cut back on superfluous topics, especially in System Wars. For example, this user has posted 14 SW threads and counting in the past 3 days, which I think anyone can agree is excessive.

EDIT: Now 19, and counting. 10 threads today.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts
Not only have a limit on the number of threads in a time limit, but the adminstrators need to automatically prevent users whose levels are less than 10 from creating threads in the System Wars forum. Some low-level users are ignoring the thread creation rule. I now that GameSpot prevents users who have not reached Level 3 from posting on the comment section on the news articles.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

If there exists any limit on how many topics you can make in a certain time period, I've never heard about it..

Cherokee_Jack
Hi, Cherokee. I can't quote you a specific number, but you can PM a mod because board flooding is considered a violation.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

If there exists any limit on how many topics you can make in a certain time period, I've never heard about it..

topsemag55

Hi, Cherokee. I can't quote you a specific number, but you can PM a mod because board flooding is considered a violation.

I did report one of the threads for "System Wars Invasion" as instructed in the rules, but only one or two of the threads have been locked.

Anyway, this isn't just about this case. There are certain to be others in the future (as more accounts reach level 10), which is why a hard limit needs to be put in place, or at the very least an explicit rule. The definition of a "System Wars Invasion" is hazy.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topsemag55
Anyway, this isn't just about this case. There are certain to be others in the future (as more accounts reach level 10), which is why a hard limit needs to be put in place, or at the very least an explicit rule. The definition of a "System Wars Invasion" is hazy.Cherokee_Jack
I'll check with the admins, and see if they can come up with a ruling.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Perhaps an hour limit to how many threads you can make would work.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Perhaps an hour limit to how many threads you can make would work.fabz_95
It would help, but if you could only post 1 thread per hour you could still make a lot of threads each day.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
I believe the limit is 20 an hour... Rather high yes.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cherokee_Jack

I believe the limit is 20 an hour... Rather high yes. horgen123

Holy God.

20 posts per hour would be more appropriate.

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

I can confirm from experience about a week ago that the topic creation limit is three per 15 minute period. With that said, one could make twelve topics per hour.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#11 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

I can confirm from experience about a week ago that the topic creation limit is three per 15 minute period. With that said, one could make twelve topics per hour.

MudkipMaster30
There is a limit to how many topics you can create per day as well.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MuddyMaestro
[QUOTE="MudkipMaster30"]

shadowchronicle
There is a limit to how many topics you can create per day as well.

I'd be very surprised if so. About a week ago I made nearly 100 info topics in a single day and no limit was imposed on me.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Not only have a limit on the number of threads in a time limit, but the adminstrators need to automatically prevent users whose levels are less than 10 from creating threads in the System Wars forum. Some low-level users are ignoring the thread creation rule. I now that GameSpot prevents users who have not reached Level 3 from posting on the comment section on the news articles.mario-galaxys

That will probably come when the coming forum upgrades go live (whenever that may be).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator

MudkipMaster30
It must have been changed. As I have never gotten that error and I am quite sure I have made more than 3 topics per 15 minutes some days.
Mr_KMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Mr_KMG
Member since 2003 • 2971 Posts

I'd be very surprised if so. About a week ago I made nearly 100 info topics in a single day and no limit was imposed on me.

MudkipMaster30

Maybe you have special privileges?

[QUOTE="mario-galaxys"]Not only have a limit on the number of threads in a time limit, but the adminstrators need to automatically prevent users whose levels are less than 10 from creating threads in the System Wars forum. Some low-level users are ignoring the thread creation rule. I now that GameSpot prevents users who have not reached Level 3 from posting on the comment section on the news articles.c_rake

That will probably come when the coming forum upgrades go live (whenever that may be).

Forum Upgrades.... what craziness do you speak of?

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MuddyMaestro

[QUOTE="MudkipMaster30"]

horgen123

It must have been changed. As I have never gotten that error and I am quite sure I have made more than 3 topics per 15 minutes some days.

I was surprised when my topics were rejected and forced to wait, since I hadn't remembered such a restriction being in place either. I wouldn't be surprised if it was implemented fairly recently, though I can't say that for sure.

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuddyMaestro
[QUOTE="Mr_KMG"][QUOTE="MudkipMaster30"]

Maybe you have special privileges?

That'd be awfully strange if so, unless it's a level privilege we don't know of. At the time I posted them I was a completely regular user, to my knowledge.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Forum Upgrades.... what craziness do you speak of?Mr_KMG

The forum's are going to get an overhaul at some point. Jody's mentioned it in passing here in there. No idea when they'll go live, though.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="Mr_KMG"]Forum Upgrades.... what craziness do you speak of?c_rake

The forum's are going to get an overhaul at some point. Jody's mentioned it in passing here in there. No idea when they'll go live, though.

*hopes for some bugs to go away*
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 c_rakestraw  Moderator

*hopes for some bugs to go away* horgen123

For what it's worth, one of the GameSpot editors did say they were remaking things from the ground-up on of the recent Bombcasts, so if applies to forums, then it's certainly possible. Apparently a lot of the systems they have in place have been around since 2003. Really explains why the site is so glitchy.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="horgen123"] *hopes for some bugs to go away* c_rake

For what it's worth, one of the GameSpot editors did say they were remaking things from the ground-up on of the recent Bombcasts, so if applies to forums, then it's certainly possible. Apparently a lot of the systems they have in place have been around since 2003. Really explains why the site is so glitchy.

Will they switch to a 64bit integer? Or whatever the English word for it was again...

Or even better, have a working TMR stat.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Will they switch to a 64bit integer? Or whatever the English word for it was again...

Or even better, have a working TMR stat.

horgen123

They didn't talk about what was changing other than the editorial team getting a new and better deployment system, and even that wasn't anything specific.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topsemag55

Or even better, have a working TMR stat. horgen123
Yeah, poor Fastest, he maxed out his TMR stat.:P
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="horgen123"] *hopes for some bugs to go away* c_rake

Also why some of the changes have been so kludged together. Like in SW, the level 10 rule is moderator-enforced only. Modern forum software should be able to check your level and keep you from even making a thread.

If the forums aren't rebuilt by fall I'm going to launch a Kickstarter to fund it for them.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I don't see it being a problem if each of those threads is unique, has substance and is relevant to the board (ie they're all acceptable by themselves). If they're all generating discussion I don't see why it matters who makes them. If any of them happen to be useless or whatever then feel free to report those threads. If they need to be told to tone it down a bit then any one of the mods who frequents the board is sure to notice.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Or even better, have a working TMR stat. horgen123
Or even better get rid of it altogether >_>
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="horgen123"]Or even better, have a working TMR stat. EJ902
Or even better get rid of it altogether >_>

It would be sorta cool if it was working. i don't want them to get rid of stats here.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
total messages read?
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I would be against having a rule on this. Unless it's a clear board invasion, leave it be. Users generally don't like seeing too much of the one user, so they'll ignore the topics anyway which will deal with this without any intervention. Not only that, but just think if there was a rule on how many topics a user is allowed to have on Page 1 of a board: - Page 1 of a board - is that 10 topics or 50 topics? - Unions: What if a leader is just starting out and has to make topics for things? This rule will technically prevent him from making those topics, along with other frequent posters in the union, as well as any topics officers will want to make. - There can be no solid rules on discussion flow really. It's too unpredictable and far too general to manage. - Even with solid rules, exceptions will be made anyway, such as even for unions - so then we will have confusion, ambiguities, abnormalities etc - Puts more strain on the mods and possibly even Rangers on HTG if a new user is making quite a few topics (which does happen now and then) So having a rule on this wouldn't really help anyway.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cherokee_Jack

I don't see it being a problem if each of those threads is unique, has substance and is relevant to the board (ie they're all acceptable by themselves).EJ902

In reality, if someone makes 15-20 threads on one board in a day, that's more than likely not the case. Either they make a new topic for whatever pops into their head, or they intentionally spam low-quality threads like the user I mentioned in the OP.

And honestly, if a user who posts x number of good threads has to wait until tomorrow to post good thread number x + 1, is that the end of the world? It could only result in better threads overall, because a series of topic ideas from one person's mind can't be great indefinitely.

If this would have to be a moderator-enforced rule, then I could see the problem there, but if at any point this could be an automatic restriction, it needs to be done.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 topsemag55

Raising the level requirement to vreate threads in SW helped, but placing a number on how many threads per day could also help.