Lack of Communication between GS Staff and the community

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Viennoiserie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Viennoiserie
Member since 2007 • 2205 Posts

Note: this was posted initially on the blog of a certain admin. I am reposting this so I could get heard better. Here's the message:

"I don't know what's your opinion on this but I would really like to see the admins spending less time with enhancements and more time with fixing glitches and hang out with the community. Seeing admins more often discussing on the forums would be (at least for me and several other folks) better than almost any enhancement. The only admin that was more involved in the community was Dkittels, and it seems you guys fired him because he was "counterproductive" - meaning that, even though he made several wonderful enhancements like the new posts tracker, he was discussing way too much on the forums, and you guys thought it was counterproductive! Pretty bad, since he ran hundreds of miles to LA to work at GameSpot and that's how are you guys repaying his efforts?...

But my post isn't about Dkittels, but about the fact the staff members are more and more different from the rest of the community. Sometimes I feel like I'm in some medieval society where only privileged users can get to talk with the staff. I'm not saying any lies, the Ask GameSpot board, the chat room, the far more open communication between mods and admins are living proofs of the fact they're tring to limit interaction with the rest of the "noobs" on GS. I agree that Ask GameSpot would have been far more filled with spam if it was open to humble Basic users like me but Burning Questions is now gone and all I can do now is send a PM to a staff member and pray to God that the respective staff member will reply to my message.

It's not like I don't respect the staff. I admire their work and I am very aware of the fact they're all busy people, but there are other gaming sites with busy employees - and yet they interact far more often with the community than GameSpot. Why?... I know, I know, the staff interacted more often with the community when GameSpot wasn't so well-known around the world, but this motivation simply could not justify the cliff that was made between the staff and the regular GS users. Staff members are also normal people, why create the impression that they're some gods that don't talk with us mortals because we're mortals, not gods?... As I've said, I have nothing to complain about the work of staff members, but I (and not only) would feel a lot better if they would interact more with us. After all, a king cannot be the ruler of people he doesn't know, right?"

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
Agreed 100%
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Some Admins I think would be great to see on the fourms...some others IMO would take some fun out of the form. Dkittels is gone? :cry:
Viennoiserie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Viennoiserie
Member since 2007 • 2205 Posts
[QUOTE="fastesttruck"]Some Admins I think would be great to see on the fourms...some others IMO would take some fun out of the form. Dkittels is gone? :cry:

Yup, Dkittels is gone. Too bad, he was a pretty nice guy and I don't doubt they haven't hired him for nothing. Admins that would take some fun out of the form? Where did you got that impression?
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
We kind of had this same, very large, discussion about a year ago, except it was about them getting to respond to our enhancements and stuff like that. I couldn't find the thread, but it took a long time to get an answer. I do agree, that at times that it would be nice to get them to chat with us, but they aren't payed to do so. While that seems weird, they have to get certain jobs done. There job does revolve an online community, but if they were to chat with the community often, then it might be like you taking a break during your work day, when you clearly can't afford or do. But I do agree a little more communication from them would be great.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fastesttruck
Well they are diong a Game Night so that helps :) But it would be nice if they could all get even just 15mins to be on the forms to talk with others everyday.
Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Happy_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 4895 Posts
I agree. Yes, I understand they must be very busy, but it wouldn't be too difficult to take a bit of time off to post with us.
ElendilElessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 ElendilElessar
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

Yeah, i kinda agree to the point where you said, " they only talk to privilage users", I was always thrilled to see an admin answered my question but its just once in a lifetime. I really want to them to talk to other users besides privilage people, sometimes these "users", write some blog that isn't a great editoral and it got into the soapbox and that user got into the community spotlight too(I'm not going to name, names), I just get that feeling that they only talk to those people.

That user that you mention earlier, its not because of that, its probably because the lack of work he did, thats why they fired them and also gamespot isn't in LA, its in San Franisco.

Versus_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Versus_XIII
Member since 2006 • 1250 Posts

Yeah. They do work...:? Maybe the staff who have free time can help. :lol:

I dunno about privileged users. I haven't encountered that as of yet. There are users who are more known than others and are very pro active in the community. I won't say who but there are some users who would like to add so and so as a friend. Also, it depends how they benefit GS.  

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

I also think it would be cool to see more admins post in more places but to be honest, i can totally understand why they wouldn't. GameSpot is their job, they probaly don't want to see any more of it outside their working hours. Imagine working somewhere and just going there, even when you aren't working at that time. Its a little different but its the same principle. Some of them post a lot, some of them post when they can and some of them don't want to feel like they are spending time at work when they actually aren't (well thats what i think would happen). They do post though, i once seen Jeff post in the UK board about something so it shows they do actually read posts and even drop a line here and there.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fastesttruck
Yeah it must get old seeing GS for hrs everyday. They seem to stay in a "Clan" kind of on some fourms...
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
While I agree with your overall point...I REALLY don't appreciate your assumptions that Dkittels was let go because he posted in the forums too much. Not only is that not something that should be considered your business at all, but it's totally unsubstantiated. This has been discussed between the mods and the admins, and things fluctuate, but in the end...it's not part of their job. Yeah, it'd be nice to see regular admin posters, but they shouldn't be forced.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
I'd love to see this too, but we can't forget that the Admins are very busy. There's also an "Ask Gamespot" forum for subscribers, although there's not much discussion there from what I've seen.
Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Happy_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 4895 Posts

Yeah, i kinda agree to the point where you said, " they only talk to privilage users", I was always thrilled to see an admin answered my question but its just once in a lifetime. I really want to them to talk to other users besides privilage people, sometimes these "users", write some blog that isn't a great editoral and it got into the soapbox and that user got into the community spotlight too(I'm not going to name, names), I just get that feeling that they only talk to those people.

That user that you mention earlier, its not because of that, its probably because the lack of work he did, thats why they fired them and also gamespot isn't in LA, its in San Franisco.

ElendilElessar
Actually, no, you can't say that. I have been featured both on the Community Spotlight, and on the Soapbox, and I'm just a regular user. :P
IonescoF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 IonescoF
Member since 2007 • 3052 Posts
That user that you mention earlier, its not because of that, its probably because the lack of work he did, thats why they fired them and also gamespot isn't in LA, its in San Franisco.ElendilElessar
My bad. :oops: In fact, Dkittels made some great enhancements, for eg., when you leave a thread and return the next day, thanks to what he did, the browser will take you to the post you last read. [QUOTE="spazzx625"]While I agree with your overall point...I REALLY don't appreciate your assumptions that Dkittels was let go because he posted in the forums too much. Not only is that not something that should be considered your business at all, but it's totally unsubstantiated. This has been discussed between the mods and the admins, and things fluctuate, but in the end...it's not part of their job. Yeah, it'd be nice to see regular admin posters, but they shouldn't be forced.

Did I said they should be forced?... Well, from what I seen, it's hard to understand why they let Dkittels go. Not my business, but it was clearly a thing that made me wonder on this topic.
I'd love to see this too, but we can't forget that the Admins are very busy. There's also an "Ask Gamespot" forum for subscribers, although there's not much discussion there from what I've seen.OhhSnap50893
In fact, that was I was trying to say - it's for SUBSCRIBERS - that's a privilege. A privilege they can't dispose without getting lots of spammers. BUT if Basic users were allowed, besides the regular spammers, they might get that bit of discussion the board is lacking of.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 caddy

[QUOTE="ElendilElessar"]That user that you mention earlier, its not because of that, its probably because the lack of work he did, thats why they fired them and also gamespot isn't in LA, its in San Franisco.IonescoF
My bad. :oops: In fact, Dkittels made some great enhancements, for eg., when you leave a thread and return the next day, thanks to what he did, the browser will take you to the post you last read.
While I agree with your overall point...I REALLY don't appreciate your assumptions that Dkittels was let go because he posted in the forums too much. Not only is that not something that should be considered your business at all, but it's totally unsubstantiated. This has been discussed between the mods and the admins, and things fluctuate, but in the end...it's not part of their job. Yeah, it'd be nice to see regular admin posters, but they shouldn't be forced.spazzx625
Did I said they should be forced?... Well, from what I seen, it's hard to understand why they let Dkittels go. Not my business, but it was clearly a thing that made me wonder on this topic.
I'd love to see this too, but we can't forget that the Admins are very busy. There's also an "Ask Gamespot" forum for subscribers, although there's not much discussion there from what I've seen.OhhSnap50893
In fact, that was I was trying to say - it's for SUBSCRIBERS - that's a privilege. A privilege they can't dispose without getting lots of spammers. BUT if Basic users were allowed, besides the regular spammers, they might get that bit of discussion the board is lacking of.

From what you seen on somebody getting let go? All of us are complete outsiders when it comes to something like that. We don't see what happens in the background, we see message boards and features that they produce but nothing else. It is simply jumping to conclusions without factual background knowledge. 

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]I'd love to see this too, but we can't forget that the Admins are very busy. There's also an "Ask Gamespot" forum for subscribers, although there's not much discussion there from what I've seen.IonescoF

It's impossible to differentiate between basic users and spammers though.
Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Robert
Member since 2006 • 283 Posts

I can't speak for everyone, but I know many staff are active on the site. Some have two accounts (one staff one not) and some aren't even marked as staff in the first place. I post when i find it relevant and I read all posts I see that might contain anything remotely consequential to the improvement of the site. I even visit the site when I'm not working.

During the day we are usually very busy working on making the site better. It is encouraged to use the websites, but it is not required in any fashion. I would love to post more, but I think right now I post when it matters, and that's the best you are going to get :)

Please don't assume we are ignoring things just because you don't always see us responding. Between all the various people here (community, developers, production, qa, art, sales, editorial, etc) we have a pretty good grasp on what is going on on a regular basis.

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
I see the moderators and GameSpot staff members' posts frequently, just about every day I'm on the forums actually. I think you're overreacting a bit, and like you said they're busy people. They're busy runing a site, and it's their job, it isn't their job to post on the forums all the time.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 caddy

I see the moderators and GameSpot staff members' posts frequently, just about every day I'm on the forums actually. I think you're overreacting a bit, and like you said they're busy people. They're busy runing a site, and it's their job, it isn't their job to post on the forums all the time.Ryo_Kensen

It is frequent to see moderators posting as they are members of the community anyway. They are forum moderators who before they became mods, would post anyway.  

Geig3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Geig3r
Member since 2002 • 26 Posts

Your concerns are appreciated.

Over the past few months we've been working on a number of community related projects that we should really see materialize in the next few months. Part of that has also being knee deep in Customer Service as we've been short one person since late last year. We're in the process of hiring a replacement as we speak. That coupled with a few of the community initiatives launching soon should free some time up to spend more in the community.

I’ve also found over the years that “posting” isn’t as simple as spending 15 minutes here and there with the community. I’d be more than happy to be in IRC chat and drop by for a few here and there and going afk when I needed to because I can end the conversation properly. In forums you are having an ongoing discussion that can have an unpredictable number of responses that you may or may not have to respond to over an unpredictable amount of time. Simply posting with short time may feel like a half hearted effort and is sometimes avoided for just that reason. We will work on it though. We appreciate your understanding.

Geig3r/Kurtis

soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
I can totally understand the point of the two Admins who posted regarding only posting when they feel they have something positive to add to a conversation, I kinda wish we would see more of that on the site in general. I don't want the sum of my life when I die to be the guy with the highest post count on GameSpot... I do agree is would be nice to have an Admin's input from time to time, especially here in the improvement boards. I've noticed a lot more Admin responses lately, so great job. Perhaps GameSpot could go back to an old newspaper convention and hire an ombudsman or two for the site?
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts

While it would be nice to see more administrators on the forums, it's not their job. I've seen some administrators who never post, and others who only post a few times. They are busy working on the site.

One of the main reasons why we don't get a lot of responses on this forum, is because too many people take an administrator's response literally. If they said that they liked a feature that was suggested, someone might think that that meant that it would be implemented