Include comments on review scores of ports and multiplatform games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grunt_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Grunt_Lord
Member since 2004 • 951 Posts

I just got the idea for this a few minutes ago, while reading the Gears of War PC board, for those of you that don't know, the pc version have gotten a 9 from gamespot, while the original 360 game scored 9.6.

Now, people in the board are going crazy, throwing around all sorts of statements such as "gamespot is console biased" "gamespot hates pc games" "I'll never trust gamespot again" etc. etc. the usual stuff whenever a high profile game scores below 9.5 from gamespot.

Now, what i was thinking was, how about that a small feature got implented into reviews of games that are either ports or multiplatform games. This feature would pretty much be about explaining to the readers, what the reasons the reviewer have for giving the different versions, different or identical scores.

I'm sure that if this got implemented, we would avoid a lot of the smacktalking we are currently seeing in, for example, the Gears of War forum.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

Isn't that already in the "About Our Rating System" page?I guessyou're right that the typethat flies off thehandle about game scores won't look that hard for information, though.

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jeff
Member since 2002 • 4005 Posts

Isn't that already in the "About Our Rating System" page?I guessyou're right that the typethat flies off thehandle about game scores won't look that hard for information, though.

Shifty_Pete

Yeah, we address this stuff pretty clearly in the pages about our rating system and invite users to look that over if they have questions.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I just got the idea for this a few minutes ago, while reading the Gears of War PC board, for those of you that don't know, the pc version have gotten a 9 from gamespot, while the original 360 game scored 9.6.

Now, people in the board are going crazy, throwing around all sorts of statements such as "gamespot is console biased" "gamespot hates pc games" "I'll never trust gamespot again" etc. etc. the usual stuff whenever a high profile game scores below 9.5 from gamespot.

Grunt_Lord

Well, as you probably know, Gamespot changed the review system so they don't give games 9.6's anymore. Jeff could only give Gears of War for the PC two scores: 9.0 or 9.5. Jeff gave it a 9.0, which is a .6 difference than the X360 game, and the PC game even had a few things different than the X360 game. Now, if they still used the old scoring system, Jeff could of gave the PC game a 9.3 or 9.4 so that the difference wouldn't be so big. But, alas, that is not what happens.

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts

People are complaining over Gears of War for PC getting a 9.0?

Are you kidding me?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Are you kidding me?

Ryo_Kensen

Duh, it is supposed to get a 10...all game reviews are supposed too;)

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shifty_Pete
[QUOTE="Ryo_Kensen"]

Are you kidding me?

Dracula68

Except games for whatever platforms you don't own. They're all supposed to get 1's.
Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
[QUOTE="Dracula68"][QUOTE="Ryo_Kensen"]

Are you kidding me?

Shifty_Pete

Except games for whatever platforms you don't own. They're all supposed to get 1's.

Makes sense. :lol:
Battleer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Battleer
Member since 2004 • 1261 Posts
[QUOTE="Grunt_Lord"]

dog64

Well, as you probably know, Gamespot changed the review system so they don't give games 9.6's anymore. Jeff could only give Gears of War for the PC two scores: 9.0 or 9.5. Jeff gave it a 9.0, which is a .6 difference than the X360 game, and the PC game even had a few things different than the X360 game. Now, if they still used the old scoring system, Jeff could of gave the PC game a 9.3 or 9.4 so that the difference wouldn't be so big. But, alas, that is not what happens.

A 9.4 or possibly even a 9.3 would have rounded up to a 9.5, ao it wouldn't be that close.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts
[QUOTE="dog64"][QUOTE="Grunt_Lord"]

Battleer

A 9.4 or possibly even a 9.3 would have rounded up to a 9.5, ao it wouldn't be that close.

Gears of War for the PC got a 9.0, so a 9.5 would be an improvement. If Jeff wanted to stick around the 9.0 score, he could of gave it a 9.1 or 9.2, which would be a little higher than 9.0 bringing it closer to the 9.6 score of the X360 game. Thus, possibly bringing in less controversy.Now, onthe other hand,if Jeff thought it didn't quite meet the standards ofa 9 at all, he could of gave it a 8.8 or 8.9. But giving it a 8.5, as demanded by the new scoring system,is a big drop so thus he had to choose 9.0 with the new scoring system.

You can see that you have a lot less choices with the new scoring system, and when you're scoring a very popular franchise game, the score is very important. If one site gives a particular game a 9.8, and Gamespot gives it a 9.5, fanboys will be saying: "Gamespot hates so and so game/company/console"! I think the administrators will be doing us and them both a favor by getting the old review system back. But we know that's not going to happen.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shifty_Pete
Gears of War for the PC got a 9.0, so a 9.5 would be an improvement. If Jeff wanted to stick around the 9.0 score, he could of gave it a 9.1 or 9.2, which would be a little higher than 9.0 bringing it closer to the 9.6 score of the X360 game. Thus, possibly bringing in less controversy.Now, onthe other hand,if Jeff thought it didn't quite meet the standards ofa 9 at all, he could of gave it a 8.8 or 8.9. But giving it a 8.5, as demanded by the new scoring system,is a big drop so thus he had to choose 9.0 with the new scoring system.

You can see that you have a lot less choices with the new scoring system, and when you're scoring a very popular franchise game, the score is very important. If one site gives a particular game a 9.8, and Gamespot gives it a 9.5, fanboys will be saying: "Gamespot hates so and so game/company/console"! I think the administrators will be doing us and them both a favor by getting the old review system back. But we know that's not going to happen.dog64

And you want to support that kind of behavior by giving them even more room to quibble over scores? I'm actually starting to wish GS would ditch scores altogether and just use the text review. Too many people are only using the numbers to throw back and forth with other fanboys.