How do I turn off the awful article bar at the bottom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kazeswen
Member since 2011 • 1627 Posts

This is by far the worst design since the invention of forced predictive text in search engines, a reason why I stopped using Google and switched to Bing.

I have a ultra wide 2.35:1 display, which means my vertical real-estate is already about 20% less than conventional 16:9 displays, add the new scroll bar and I lose another 20% of my viewable space, making articles impossible to read.

My question is how do I turn off this new feature, I don't need articles pushed to me, I'll decide on my own and I'd like my 20% viewable space back.

If I cannot turn this new feature off, I'm going to IGN.

Thanks. Hope you guys aren't pulling a Google and not allowing people to turn off new features, that's how Bing won me over.

tom_cat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tom_cat_01
Member since 2009 • 2938 Posts

I'm also having this problem.

For the past 10 days or so, Gamespot has been an ultra-narrow column of text with an annoying bar at the bottom which won't go away.

Also, at the bottom of each article is just ANOTHER article, and I now have to click on a box to get the comments to appear.

And every time I load the website, it's defaulted to the "Recommended" articles tab, instead of the "Recent" articles one.

Infuriating.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kazeswen

@tom_cat_01: I've left sites before, I switched from Google to Bing because Google insisted on not allowing me to turn off text prediction, and I've loved Bing ever since, now I can't live without my daily Bing Image.

Looks like we may need to find new pastures, I'll just have to get used to IGN from now on.

What's really odd is these new hipster creative types I call them the Oreo Cookie eaters, always insist on not giving you an option to turn off their new features. Its like they presume that their idea is so good the whole world must love it, god knows how much userbase Google lost to Bing with their forced features that can't be turned off. The Oreo Cookie Eaters and their presumptions really shows the difference between one generation and another. Back in the old days, when a new feature is added, you allow for it to be turned off because there is no superiority complex with creatives, but not anymore kind of have to blame it google for inspiring this new gen of creative egos.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

@kazeswen: I have a 21:9 ultra wide screen monitor too. What I do, though, is I have my browser window sized to take up about 1/3rd of the screen while I use the rest of the screen for work or more browser windows.

Most websites are optimized for 800px width IRC. Web pages really are like book pages, after all. And sites can't just expand the width of wraparound text space because reading longer and longer lines gets harder for you to keep track when you need to guide your eyes back to the next line of text. It's why newspapers have their text in columns.

The vertical nature of it all is why scrolling down to the next article is pretty dang dumb IMHO. Articles are long (as they should be) and it would make more sense to swipe the entire page right or left to the next or previous article.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kazeswen

@elheber:

What I have a problem with is they don't give you a choice of turning it off.

I noticed this odd trend with lots of google generation web-designers, they come up with a feature that they like and then don't give you an option of turning it off. Its like they presume to know better than you on how you prefer to surf the net.

I don't know if the sense of self entitlement that comes with this gen or ego or what, but its gotta stop. Add new features fine, but don't presume I wanna use it, just give us a choice to turn it on or off.

Same thing happened with Google, they came out with search suggestion, and decided that there should be no option to disable the feature, and then yahoo followed suit and soon I couldn't use a single search engine without text prediction. Thank god Microsoft BING offered a disable feature, now I only use Bing.

Bottomline, come up with new features but don't assume people will like it and give the end user the choice.

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#7 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Hi @kazeswen, you can read a more detailed response to feedback similar to this at the top of this thread, but the short of it is that we're going to be removing the fixed footer bar entirely soon. Thanks!

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@LarkAnderson: You know you could easily edit your .pod-recirc__content class on line 181 of your gamespot_white.css and gamespot_black.css to display:none instead of display: table until you guys have time to remove the container completely.

It literally took me a whole 20 seconds to make that feature disappear.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#9 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@kazeswen: If it all comes down to it people have mentioned methods of getting rid of the article gallery on the bottom in some threads including this one.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@shadowchronicle: You have a good point, check your inbox please.