This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

the CSS code for the site doesn't work when you change to dark theme. On Mozilla and Chrome they revert to skeletons of a site. This should be fixed please

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

"skeletons of a site" explains what comes up for Internet Explorer and Chrome for me too, just on dark themes

Can we get a mod response on this thread when the issue has been fixed. Because if I switch over to the dark theme (which is broken) the only way to fix it is to clear my cookies and that just creates more problems. And I really want to switch over ASAP because the white theme hurts my eyes.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#3  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

^You can still turn back to the light theme via the aa buttons when the CSS fails to load btw, just scroll down a little until you see 2 As and click on the correct one (the left one changes to light theme and the right one to the dark theme as without the CSS neither are hidden). Functionality is generally still there when CSS doesn't load, just not in a user friendly way. There's no need to delete the cookies (which will also log you out if you just delete all of them) this way either.

That said, there's no end of possible causes to CSS failure, and while I was able to reproduce the issue using chrome it wasn't due to something I did specifically - it seems that the CSS for the dark theme file suddenly had a 404 issue, causing the static1 used to visually redirect (i.e. the address bar line is updated) to the main http://origin-static.gamespot.com/bundles/gamespotsite/css/gamespot_black-4510447b87e513b882dbde8e86f9ecf9.css/ CSS URL and show a 404 page instead of the CSS that should be shown - the page layout of course isn't there during this same time period as the CSS link is broken somehow.

That said, for the most part it's been working fine for me - and if the http://static1.gamespot.com/bundles/gamespotsite/css/gamespot_black-4510447b87e513b882dbde8e86f9ecf9.css link doesn't show up a 404 (instead showing up a long page full of the CSS code/text) then it's generally working for most people - if it redirects and shows up a 404 then it's something on the GS end at the time, though I've found that it's rarely down when I'm on the site personally, this is the 1st time I've ran into this issue myself for quite some time.

The light theme file is also down atm, though I can still use both themes thanks to the cache due to getting them to work earlier in the session atm. If you also had it working in the same session just click the correct A in the AA links on any page while the CSS is broken - the left one is the light theme, the right one is the dark theme. This will reload it from the browser cache so you can use the CSS despite the CSS pages being down. If you've deleted temp files or perhaps even just closed the browser completely since having the theme work fine at some point however it is unlikely it will still be in the cache.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride

@robotopbuddy: It's still messy and should be fixed. This is a big site after all and not everyone uses the light background

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#6  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Well, atm both main theme files are down completely it seems, which obviously needs fixing asap as that will affect most users. Outside of this particular scenario that wasn't the case earlier on this morning though CSS issues are normally intermittent server issues or client-side issues. Outside of this one today I've had no issues at all with the dark theme either, which is the theme I normally use (and am still using atm, albeit via the cache atm). Unfortunately I can't do anything to troubleshoot other CSS issues until this one is fixed properly - and the cache workaround can only be used by people that happen to have the working CSS in their cache still.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

@robotopbuddy said:

@The_Last_Ride: Well, atm both main theme files are down completely it seems, which obviously needs fixing asap as that will affect most users. Outside of this particular scenario that wasn't the case earlier on this morning though CSS issues are normally intermittent server issues or client-side issues. Outside of this one today I've had no issues at all with the dark theme either, which is the theme I normally use (and am still using atm, albeit via the cache atm). Unfortunately I can't do anything to troubleshoot other CSS issues until this one is fixed properly - and the cache workaround can only be used by people that happen to have the working CSS in their cache still.

The dark theme worked for 20 min before the CSS code stopped working. Can't you try to refresh it or save the css and re upload it through FTP?

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

I was having the same issue earlier today and all of yesterday, but I updated Firefox to 35.0.1, cleared cookies and restarted Firefox twice, and it appears to be working. (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1)